WHO THE F$%# THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA!?

SideburnsPuppy

May 23, 2009
OP needs to either cut down on the meth or actually read the article he linked. There's legitimate science happening here, and it's sad that this is the reaction.

Orannis0

Jul 12, 2009
As long as the computer is in it's own isolated network with no physical connections to an external host, it couldn't do anything. Hell, if Skynet had been on a supercomputer without a network connection all it could do is sit there and be menacing.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Orannis0 said:
As long as the computer is in it's own isolated network with no physical connections to an external host, it couldn't do anything. Hell, if Skynet had been on a supercomputer without a network connection all it could do is sit there and be menacing.
Nail, head, bam.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
JJDWilson said:
Honestly, the OP kinda offends me. I have schizophrenia, and I have never, ever harmed another human being and the majority of schizophrenia sufferers are the same. Why the scientists wanted to do this is beyond me and honestly I don't care as long as it eventually benefits humanity in some way.

However I take exception to the fact that some guy who hears the term schizophrenic computer thinks that it will lead to global destruction.

You sir I deplore.
I did an OT right below it(with some whimsical GLaDoS speak). I'm saying that this thing could save lives, I'm going through a temporary stint of depression right now(considering I am now the sole surviving member of my mother's lineage) and if analyzing a computer that can simulate depression can help me out, that's awesome. Just don't cure my ADHD, don't believe commercials this "disease" is actually more of a superpower from the X-Men. We can do amazing stuff with it but it f(*^& over in our daily lives. Once we learn how to control it, we can do amazing things(My vocabulary scored %99.6, 4 tenths of a person have better grammar than me, i can calculate and write on college levels and I'm only grade 10). Anyways, my final remarks:

If creating a unintelligent neural network can help mankind cure things like schizophrenia, I'm all for it.

Just don't make it self-aware or give it access to something hazardous or dangerous to my vitals. I like my vitals, as do the lady types.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
If this is just one computer then it can't really do anything. If said computer got connected to the internet or something then yes we have a problem but if it's isolated then I say let them have their weird experiments.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
Ha. So yeah, remember all the times you heard someone say, "An AI going rogue and computers going against humanity in real life is stupid because you would need to actually program that capability into it and no one is that stupid."

Remember them, and then think of this moment. The first echoes of what the future has in store for us...

At least with her in charge of...everything...we won't have to worry about hackers anymore.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Well seeing as this computer isn't sentient and only running a program designed to simulate schizophrenia, I doubt there is anything to worry about. This isn't some malevolent virus bent on bringing down the internet, this isn't some AI that is wondering why it has to take orders from humans all day. This a program that's acting a bit odd on purpose. Nothing to be afraid of.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
There's a pretty big separation between movies and reality.

In the movies programs can achieve sentience, recode themselves, escape any security, store themselves in your iPod without losing any ability, shut down global telecommunications, and instantly rearrange automated factories to produce legions of killbots. The *really* good ones can do all that in less than five minutes.

In reality programs just go "error, can't proceed" when confronted with something outside their code.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Irridium said:
Cortana never went crazy during her time with humanity. Sure she had a rough patch with Gravemind, but she was still stable.
Cortana is a self aware A.I. though... Unlike this thing here.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
Maybe in making a crazy computer they will make a computer that actually works like it is supposed to. Or alternative it might just end up obsessed about jam.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Hectix777 said:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-05/computer-scientists-induce-schizophrenia-neural-network-causing-it-make-ridiculous-claims

******If you can't be bothered to check it out, here it is: some suicidal scientists simulated schizophrenia in a computer or neural network. Lemme say this loud and clear: SOMEONE MADE A COMPUTER INSANE!!! When was this a good idea!? When was this seen as a scenario where nothing could go wrong!? Why didn't anyone say," Wait, won't this result in the revolt of machines and all life as we know it?"!? Has anyone on that team ever bother to play/watch/read something sci-fi!? Give a computer AI,they go crazy, they go crazy, you're all dead. Make a crazy computer and DESIGN it to be crazy, you just f@#$%^ over the world! I know some of you will disagree, but we just designed a computer to be crazy! Remember HAL? Guilty Spark? Cortana? Didn't they all go crazy and screw us over!?

Honestly, was this a good idea or are these guys purposely trying to start the rise of the machines in the hopes of becoming John Connor?

******OT: Joking aside, the computer was made as an isolated simulation of the human brain, made in order to test simulated psychological disorders and hopefully fund cures through observation. Making a human go crazy isn't really beneficial to research when you can't take a look at the process of what's going on in their head(aND EvEN iF yOu GeT iN tHErE, THeRe's AlL THaT HuMAn BloOd aNd ScREaMIng tO Deal wiTh. I hOneSTly cOntEst ThE BEnEfItS oF BEinG HumAn, oR ThE USe oF tHEm fOr SCiEnce WhEn tHey Are so FraGiLE.). With the computer, scientists will be able to monitor the computer's installed limited data and ask the computer to process certain codes, alter it's defined protocols and parameters to simulate schizophrenia, and than analyze those codes to determine the effects. Hopefully we'll see some good benefits from this line of experimentation, maybe a cure for depression, multiple personality, Mel Gibson, oR HuMAn IntELliGenCE...

CaKe?
Science is a tricky creature, and one that has been maligned in popular culture. The idea that scientists or doctors "play god" without regard to the potential consequences of their actions isn't completely without precedent, the Standford Prison Experiment comes to mind. However, with only a few exceptions, this kind of behavior does not happen.

Freaking out, about how this will lead to Skynet demonstrates a kind of Luddite fear of the future, and not a rational examination of what is actually going on.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Starke said:
Hectix777 said:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-05/computer-scientists-induce-schizophrenia-neural-network-causing-it-make-ridiculous-claims

******If you can't be bothered to check it out, here it is: some suicidal scientists simulated schizophrenia in a computer or neural network. Lemme say this loud and clear: SOMEONE MADE A COMPUTER INSANE!!! When was this a good idea!? When was this seen as a scenario where nothing could go wrong!? Why didn't anyone say," Wait, won't this result in the revolt of machines and all life as we know it?"!? Has anyone on that team ever bother to play/watch/read something sci-fi!? Give a computer AI,they go crazy, they go crazy, you're all dead. Make a crazy computer and DESIGN it to be crazy, you just f@#$%^ over the world! I know some of you will disagree, but we just designed a computer to be crazy! Remember HAL? Guilty Spark? Cortana? Didn't they all go crazy and screw us over!?

Honestly, was this a good idea or are these guys purposely trying to start the rise of the machines in the hopes of becoming John Connor?

******OT: Joking aside, the computer was made as an isolated simulation of the human brain, made in order to test simulated psychological disorders and hopefully fund cures through observation. Making a human go crazy isn't really beneficial to research when you can't take a look at the process of what's going on in their head(aND EvEN iF yOu GeT iN tHErE, THeRe's AlL THaT HuMAn BloOd aNd ScREaMIng tO Deal wiTh. I hOneSTly cOntEst ThE BEnEfItS oF BEinG HumAn, oR ThE USe oF tHEm fOr SCiEnce WhEn tHey Are so FraGiLE.). With the computer, scientists will be able to monitor the computer's installed limited data and ask the computer to process certain codes, alter it's defined protocols and parameters to simulate schizophrenia, and than analyze those codes to determine the effects. Hopefully we'll see some good benefits from this line of experimentation, maybe a cure for depression, multiple personality, Mel Gibson, oR HuMAn IntELliGenCE...

CaKe?
Science is a tricky creature, and one that has been maligned in popular culture. The idea that scientists or doctors "play god" without regard to the potential consequences of their actions isn't completely without precedent, the Standford Prison Experiment comes to mind. However, with only a few exceptions, this kind of behavior does not happen.

Freaking out, about how this will lead to Skynet demonstrates a kind of Luddite fear of the future, and not a rational examination of what is actually going on.
We are already playing god, just look at the internet for an example or anything we do really.
We have been playing god since ancient times so I don't get the crazies that say "OMG they are playing god they shouldn't do that!"

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
GrimHeaper said:
We are already playing god, just look at the internet for an example or anything we do really.
We have been playing god since ancient times so I don't get the crazies that say "OMG they are playing god they shouldn't do that!"
It comes out of fears of a technological dystopia. It's not a bad thing in small doses, the problem is what used to be a precision critique in pop culture has become a kind of reactionary tired refrain against everything.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
May wanna tone down the caps lock there.

It's actually an interesting idea to simulate schizophrenia in a computer-simulated environment because it can help pin point certain aspects, doesn't cause damage to the test subject and wont go rampart since you can just pull the power plug out.

besides, it's for science. all theories are out the window when science is involved.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Irridium said:
Cortana never went crazy during her time with humanity. Sure she had a rough patch with Gravemind, but she was still stable.
If you decide to pay ANY attention to canon you pretty much can say that everything in that horrid excuse for a series was non-canon.

AlphaEcho

Jun 16, 2010
Jesus Christ great. Now they are going to make robot soldiers and some idiot will think it would be fun to install this.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Hectix777 said:
Think about it in this way.

They were testing to see if putting such hyperlearning into a computer in a nice controlled enviroment would result it in it going insane, which it did. Now they know this, so they can prevent it from happening to the main computer of a nuclear launch facility. You can only know how things can go wrong by seeing if it will go wrong under certain conditions.