Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Marik2 said:
Chinese flu vs the average person
Average person.

The virus isn't going to do too much to the average person.

That said...

C-virus vs. Spanish Flu.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Hawki said:
Marik2 said:
Average person.

That said...

C-virus vs. Spanish Flu.
In a cookoff I think the Spanish Flu wins just for name recognition and established recipes. I mean what does C food even taste like?!

Patrick Stewart with uncontrollable diarrhea vs Kenneth Branagh just coming out of anesthesia in a Hamlet To Be or Not To Be off.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
Marik2 said:
Average person.

That said...

C-virus vs. Spanish Flu.
Have you seen what the C-Virus does to people?!

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/residentevil/images/0/05/Ubistvo.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/310?cb=20140926202413

Kenneth Branagh. The diarrhea pretty much does the work for him.

Travis Touchdown vs. Rey or Kylo Ren.

https://i.redd.it/iqot7gos56t01.jpg

VS.

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/012/088/878/large/fred-hildebrand-rey-color-2.jpg?1532981568

OR

https://66.media.tumblr.com/50ad67049f527ff28967a964107c4ef3/tumblr_nzgg47vs6n1sjvdrjo1_500.jpg

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Agema said:
It's not YA. I've had the misfortune to read some YA hiding in the SF&F section, and it sticks out when you read it.

Kvothe is, however, an incredibly annoying protagonist. Even when he turns out not to be totally ace at something (yet?) it's more like a token something he's not good at.

Don't read Christopher Ruocchio's Empire of Silence if Kvothe annoyed you, either.
I can see that it might not be YA, but that also means that the Kingkiller Chronicles means to be mature but ends up reading like rather average YA. I mean, The Hunger Games books are far better at managing not only their protagonist but the overarching themes and comes off as much more mature to me, despite being actual YA.

Rather, I think my problem is that I can't pin down if Rothfuss wanted to make adult fantasy or YA fantasy. The framework of the Chronicler, the demon invasion and adult Kvothe are obviously meant to be fantasy. However, the meat of the books, Kvothe's origin story, is nothing but YA material and often reads like straight YA (school setting, love problems, problems with authorities, identity seeking etc.) with the occasional scene or mention of something more mature or darker (once again, the whores). Weirdly, Wikipedia labels The Name of the Wind as Heroic Fantasy and apart from the last few chapters I can't think of much in that book that's heroic fantasy, but I can point to a lot of similarities with Harry Potter.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
CoCage said:
Travis Touchdown vs. Rey or Kylo Ren.
I like Travis better than either Rey or Kilo, but I'm going to give it to the space wizards. Cuz they're space wizards. Also, their lasersword doesn't need to be jacked off regularly.

Homey D Clown vs Krusty the Clown

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Krusty because of his laugh and he has more recognition.

Chinese flu vs global economy

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Marik2 said:
Krusty because of his laugh and he has more recognition.

Chinese flu vs global economy
Global economy. It may take a few years but it'll come back eventually. Economies aren't really based in reality anyway.

Covid 19 vs. Marik2

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Marik2 said:
Me. No contest.

Kung Flu vs Sweden
In a staring contest its a tie because Kung Flu doesn't have eyes, and Sweden is an artificially walled off geographical region, and doesn't have eyes either.
In a spelling bee I think Sweden 'cause they have bees. Kung Flu doesn't.

Now the real question is General Tso's Chicken viral pandemic vs Colbert's Ching Chong Ding Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Colbert's Ching Chong Ding Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever for being super offensive.

Right wing corporatist guy with dementia vs left wing corporatist guy with dementia.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Marik2 said:
Colbert's Ching Chong Ding Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever for being super offensive.

Right wing corporatist guy with dementia vs left wing corporatist guy with dementia.
They double KO each other.

Double God Hand Gene vs. Nero (post full devil trigger DMC5).

Gene literally gets both of God's arms at the end of the game. Nero gets his devil trigger at the end of the game.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/5387f9f0e4b0372489c8c40b/1460080522120-5A9GVYTJ3M7W416NKT7X/?content-type=image%2Fjpeg

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/devilmaycry/images/9/9c/Devil_May_Cry_5_Official_Art_Works_-_Page_017.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190426005159

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I would wanna say that Nero would win, though I haven't played God Hand (Or DMC 5 to be honest). From my experience with the Devil May Cry games Dante and Nero gain some pretty devastating attacks with plenty of AoE or Ranged Attacks.

Spike Spiegel vs John Wick- Fight takes place on Earth.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
twistedmic said:
Spike Spiegel vs John Wick- Fight takes place on Earth.
Spike is good, but John Wick is made of iron and racks up a body count in the triple digits in about a week. So John Wick, but it will be a hell of a fight and Spike might just take John with him.

Kvothe vs the Bhaalspawn just prior to the fight with Amelyssan.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Gethsemani said:
Kvothe vs the Bhaalspawn just prior to the fight with Amelyssan.
Don't know either of those, but based on this and the other thread, that Kvothe is basically perfect at everything, so I'm going to bet on the Marty Sue. Afterwards the Bhaalspawn becomes an ally because Kvothe is just so perfect and defeat means friendship.

Adam Smith vs Karl Marx (in actual fisticuffs)

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Chimpzy said:
Hmmm. I'm going to approach this by assuming they're at the age at which they wrote their most famous works-- so a 53-year-old Adam Smith (having just written Wealth of Nations) and a 30-year-old Karl Marx (having just co-written The Communist Manifesto).

Since I can't see anything about Smith being a bodybuilder or fitness enthusiast on his Wiki page, I'm going to give it to Marx.

The Egyptian pantheon's Sekhmet vs. the Greek pantheon's Ares.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Silvanus said:
Chimpzy said:
Hmmm. I'm going to approach this by assuming they're at the age at which they wrote their most famous works-- so a 53-year-old Adam Smith (having just written Wealth of Nations) and a 30-year-old Karl Marx (having just co-written The Communist Manifesto).

Since I can't see anything about Smith being a bodybuilder or fitness enthusiast on his Wiki page, I'm going to give it to Marx.

The Egyptian pantheon's Sekhmet vs. the Greek pantheon's Ares.
I'm gonna go with Sekhmet. The greek pantheon had Athena as an objectively better version of Ares. Sekhmet by contrast was so hardcore that Ra had to find a less ferocious bodyguard

The Count of Monte Cristo vs Francis Urquhart