Whoops! Blizzard May Need To Change Overwatch's Name

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
What if they tried using a variant on the name like Over-Watch or O\/erW/\tch or OverW^tch?

theNater

Feb 11, 2011
I don't see any reason they couldn't share the trademark. The products are dissimilar enough that it's unlikely to cause confusion.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Granted that I don't know copyright law that well, but since one of these is for a paintball-related app, and another is a PC video game, don't they not really clash since they're products for two completely different services and customer bases? I could swear I've seen cases like this where I would have thought that one company could sue the other for copyright infringement, but it didn't matter since it was two completely different products.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Grace_Omega said:
I don't think I'd want my smartphone anywhere near airsoft pellets. Those things could probably crack a screen.
Airsoft is so weak, I highly doubt they can crack anything.

Unless you're using metal pellets. Then I imagine you'd feel it at anything other than point blank.

But on topic, copy-right law confuses the fuck out of me. Is there a time limit? What about Taken, with aliens, and Taken, with Liam Neeson?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I suppose the app does sound more appropriate with that word but in saying so, what is an "overwatch"? Well ok it's a military tatic that one unit support another unit hence over watch. Still when I first watched the game trailer, I did felt the name didn't suit the game as it kinda look more fun (especially the cinematic) and than serious.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
what is an "overwatch"?
Within the game's lore, "Overwatch"(named after the millitart tactic and the fact that they watch over the world, so deep) was an organization that was created to bring peace to the world in light of a robot uprising(among other things). Once all the world wide threats were taken care of it disbanded. The characters we'll play are it's former members, and other people(or robots) that had dealings with them.

Even if the game changes name, that bit will probably stay true, but it'll be kinda like League of Legends getting rid of the League of Legends from it's lore: kinda awkward.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
They may just buy the name. Blizz does have that kind of cash to throw around and most app devs would probably jump at the chance to make some quick dough like that.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
BeerTent said:
Grace_Omega said:
I don't think I'd want my smartphone anywhere near airsoft pellets. Those things could probably crack a screen.

Unless you're using metal pellets. Then I imagine you'd feel it at anything other than point blank.
There are also people (personally, I call them dickheads) who are modifying their ASGs (usually sniper rifle models) so they can shoot on a further distance. Those things can hurt like hell, I can tell you that. As for paintball... I have a friend who is frequently playing, and I've seen some of the bruises he got from a close range encounters. Yep, definitely wouldn't want my phone anywhere near those kind of activities.

The idea sounds cool though, if you're not scared and/or playing with the reliable crew.

OT: I wonder how many real, existing words are still up for grabs in term of patents for IPs, and how much of a problem this will be in the future, if no one will change those stagnant, outdated copyright laws. Sucks for Blizzard, either way, they'll have to pay some money for this oversight - probably to the app creators, since it's probably easier than rebranding an already hyped game.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Alleged_Alec said:
And this is why copyrights on already existing terms are stupid.
PunkRex said:
For fucks sake, it doesn't even need to be in the same ballpark as the other product to run into copy right problems, bullshit.
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Granted that I don't know copyright law that well, but since one of these is for a paintball-related app, and another is a PC video game, don't they not really clash since they're products for two completely different services and customer bases? I could swear I've seen cases like this where I would have thought that one company could sue the other for copyright infringement, but it didn't matter since it was two completely different products.
Copyright laws are much different from Trademark laws. This is a trademark case.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Instead of calling it Overwatch, how about they call it Overlook?

Y'know, because they overlooked trademarking the name when they first started developing the game...

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Hell, the game could be called Poopsandtoots for all I care, Im just in it for that sweet looking gameplay.

[small]Poopsandtoots GOTY 2015.[/small]

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Overwatch was always a lame title, and Titan is way too close to Titanfall for a shooter (like Battlecry and Battleborn). Find a creative title, maybe even go for two whole words, crazy!

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Yossarian1507 said:
BeerTent said:
Grace_Omega said:

There are also people (personally, I call them dickheads) who are modifying their ASGs (usually sniper rifle models) so they can shoot on a further distance. Those things can hurt like hell, I can tell you that. As for paintball... I have a friend who is frequently playing, and I've seen some of the bruises he got from a close range encounters. Yep, definitely wouldn't want my phone anywhere near those kind of activities.

The idea sounds cool though, if you're not scared and/or playing with the reliable crew.

OT: I wonder how many real, existing words are still up for grabs in term of patents for IPs, and how much of a problem this will be in the future, if no one will change those stagnant, outdated copyright laws. Sucks for Blizzard, either way, they'll have to pay some money for this oversight - probably to the app creators, since it's probably easier than rebranding an already hyped game.
Actually, they also sell the mount for your gun. it seems to fully cover the back of your phone, so any shot that come from the front would it the case.

http://overwatchapp.com/

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Baldr said:
Alleged_Alec said:
And this is why copyrights on already existing terms are stupid.
PunkRex said:
For fucks sake, it doesn't even need to be in the same ballpark as the other product to run into copy right problems, bullshit.
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Copyright laws are much different from Trademark laws. This is a trademark case.
A semantic quibble as far as I'm concerned.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Sweet deal for the app developer. I'm sure Blizzard will offer them more cash for the name then they could ever have hoped to make from actual sales of what seems to be an incredibly niche but legitimately interesting product.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Well, they could always just name it something that acronyms into "HotS", since that's their default state... :p

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
well i got to say that smartphone app is more interesting than the game, so good on them for keeping the trademark.

has the "generic title marathon" finally hit the "its already named that" wall? Is that why we have games with 3 subtitles in the title just to avoid that?

BeerTent said:

But on topic, copy-right law confuses the fuck out of me. Is there a time limit? What about Taken, with aliens, and Taken, with Liam Neeson?
when i played paintball the instructor told us not to shoot eachother from too close because the guns had enough force that if hit at right angle it could shatter bones in your fingers.

of course, noone listened to him.

Also this is not a copyright law, this is trademark law. there are 3 DIFFERENT laws in US - Copyirght, patent and trademark. they deal with DIFFERENT THINGS.

Moxin Rift said:
My son just suggested they release it in a hyper-bugged and unfinished state and call it Overpatch.
i bet its already trademarked by Ubisoft.

P.S. did you really register just to say that?

IMAGinES

Jun 1, 2009
Well, Disney wound up having to borrow the trademark, "TRON" from an electrical component manufacturer for a while. Maybe Blizzard can ask Innovis nicely and work something out?