Who's the Mickey Mouse of anime?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Honestly the same could be said for Mickey at this point. Started off as a mischievous, impish trickster, became a dull leader type when they paired him with Donald and Goofy (basically two extremes of the self) and by now so much of his personality has been erased he might as well just be a logo.
Yeah, that was my point.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The first thing that came to my mind was Shinji Ikari, which I though was hilarious.

I don't think Pikachu can be it since it's more video game related than anime. Astro has the old timey stuff but hasn't been relevant since like metropolis (and even then not really) and doesn't really have a standard bearer role like Mickey does. Maybe Totoro? Ghibili does use it for there logo and most people would recognize it has anime if they looked at it, but I doubt many people would name it if someone asked them to name an anime character.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I don't think you can really have a Mikey Mouse of anime. He's been such a pillar of importance to Disney that he kinda lost his character. He's been in the occasional thing but I think hes more like Mario, where he doesn't really have his own personality and now is more of an idea. Of course its totally possible that I just haven't been up on recent Disney animation.

Which would make the supporting question to answer the first question, who/what is the Disney of Anime

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
See I disagree. Maybe for our parent's generation, but current millennials and gen z have no connection to Astro Boy. There were a few films no one saw, and its been 15 years since MegaMan was a thing. Meanwhile Pokemon and Pikachu are still churning out games.
As someone who is either a millennial or a gen z, yup. I was always vaguely aware of Astro Boy as a child, maybe caught a few reruns here and there, but beyond that I know nothing at all. I was honestly quite surprised he was brought up quite often here, was he really that big back then?

Anyway, if we're talking about Mickey Mouse as the brand, I'd say it's probably Naruto or Dragonball Z worldwide and One Piece in Japan/in the anime community. If we're talking about the history or legacy, honestly wouldn't know. I'm not big into the anime classics.

Reactions: SilentPony

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Now I have the 80s Astroboy theme in my head.

Anyhoo, Disney forces the US to force the world to keep changing copyright rules so they can keep Mickey Mouse forever, anime doesn't have that sort of thing going on.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Hello Kitty perhaps?

I have a feeling that the answer will depend on whether you live in Japan or not. Otherwise, I'd nominate Goku in terms of popularity, but in terms of similar appeal, Astro, Pikachu, and Hello Kitty seem reasonable.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Which would make the supporting question to answer the first question, who/what is the Disney of Anime
There might not be one. People like to say Studio Ghibli since it makes some of the best anime movies... or did, seems like its latest ones have kinda been somewhat of duds. But that would still only be comparable on the animated movies front. I don't think there is really an anime studio that also does live action like Disney does or owns the media landscape like Disney.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Sailor Moon I think.

Pikachu is a video-game character first and while the pokemon anime may be popular, I think people associate and know of Pikachu from the games. Mickey has been in video-games but I don't think we'd call him the most recognizable video-game character just because of that.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Mickey has been in video-games but I don't think we'd call him the most recognizable video-game character just because of that.
Dunno, if he's the most recognisable (for whatever reason), and he's a video-game character, he might still count.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Sailor Moon I think.

Pikachu is a video-game character first and while the pokemon anime may be popular, I think people associate and know of Pikachu from the games. Mickey has been in video-games but I don't think we'd call him the most recognizable video-game character just because of that.
Yes but there’s nothing in the games that sets Pikachu apart from other Pokémon. He’s not a legendary, rare or even particularly powerful. Pikachu’s global recognition as an icon comes basically from the massive pop culture hit that was the anime.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly the same could be said for Mickey at this point. Started off as a mischievous, impish trickster, became a dull leader type when they paired him with Donald and GCanoofy (basically two extremes of the self) and by now so much of his personality has been erased he might as well just be a logo.
Sometimes a picture says it better.
Can we get this version of Mickey in an animated show or movie? A Yakuza style Mickey Mouse? Sign me up.

This one works too in a more modern sense.

Reactions: Hawki