Why All the Hate on Naruto?

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Saltyk said:
chaosyoshimage said:
It's a popular Shonen anime with all the pros and cons that come with being that. Personally I like it but the anime is only good when they go all out on the animation. Too much pointless filler and dragged out scenes. To me, the manga is essentially Harry Potter with ninjas, which I consider a good thing.

BTW, I'm a big fan of the whole Naruto relates to the villain thing that always goes on with characters like Sasuke, Gaara, and Pain...
Okay, so this basically sums up my feelings about Naruto. But why does your avatar have to be Cell? The single villain/character I hated the most from pretty much any anime. And not in the way you are supposed to hate villains. I just flat hated his character.
And why does your avatar have to be Cloud? My single most hated character from pretty much any video game, Zack was way cooler. Also, Cell has a DS in this picture, it's awesome.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
mostly i blame sasuke. However awesome he may or may not be at the moment to undertstand you have to watch from the beginning and from episode 1 to where i stopped watching in shippuden (just after the first arc) He is a emo prick. He is a solid wall that people tend to like/care about for no discernible reason.

However weak the argument may be, the english dub is awful. And not, "oh as soon i get use to it and story starts moving i won't care" awful, no "the this raping my ears, does some poor bastard actually own this terrible voice" awful.

There is way to much filler in the original series regardless of how good the filler may be.

They claim to be ninjas, but they aren't. They are mages that are able to jump high.

Deus ex machinima. and the use thereof.

It's long. like really long.

It's popular. There will always be people who hate stuff simply because it's popular.

EDIT; Looking back at the comments i suppose i should mention this is why i stopped watching/why i think people don't like naruto. kinda goes without saying being but saying it anyway; These are my opinions/assumptions.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Swedish Digimon.
HA. I wasn't the only one subjected to that. It made me watch behind a closed hand and a little peek through my fingers.

Never hated Naruto myself, but I can see WHY people dislike it, combination of bad first dubbing/impressions, filler, some animation flaws (That team that takes over every 4 episodes or so really screws with my head).

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
I like Naruto.
It is hated by elitists because it is popular. Don't you know hating popular things makes you seem intelligent and well-educated?

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Bloodstain said:
I like Naruto.
It is hated by elitists because it is popular. Don't you know hating popular things makes you seem intelligent and well-educated?
Don't you know that people who say "people only hate it because it is popular" are just people who don't want to admit other people might actually have valid reasons for disliking something they like?

LeKiller

Oct 6, 2009
I don't hate it perse, it's just--
It's oversaturated
It's overrated
It gets lazy with everything at times
It has a following that's cute, annoying, charming, and fucking disgusting.

yman15

Jul 11, 2011
Poomermon said:
I tried to watch this a while back but just couldn't go far. Main problem for me is that the main character Naruto is a obnoxious brat with little redeeming quality. Also making normally awesome ninjas (aka silent assassins) look like a loud screaming buffoons is not a good thing.
That's what I thought to but if your willing to give the show some time Naruto really grows on you and seeing him progress is so satisfying but that's only if your willing to give the show some time and some people just can't do that. I can see why investing 200+ hours into a shows is not an easy thing to do and I can see why people don't like it also I don't watch fillers at all and for the last thing I would like to refer to you to my good friend tv tropes http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HighlyVisibleNinja

Jumendez-sama

May 19, 2010
Naruto become one of the most popular shows out there, thanks to it becoming accessible to so many kids since it aired on Cartoon Network before those runts had to go to bed. Because of that, anime in western cultures became associated with now not just Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and Yu-gi-oh, but now Naruto. Naruto, a show about some whiny kid with ninja powers who ultimately was an unlikeable and unrelateable character. A complete idiot with no sign of really changing, other than becoming shounen hero by the time Sasuke turned all evil for whatever reason.

It muddied anime's image in the west a little more, as well featured a plotline that wasn't too unique, and could be summed up with "shounen shit". Similarly, the action in that show was also very shounen, and didn't really have many limitations as much as I saw into it, so it was reasonable for characters to pull Deus ex Machinas because of some secret technique they all seemed to be able to pull out of nowhere. Hint: Deus ex Machinas have nothing to do with strategy as much as they have to do with upping the anti, raking more fan interest and more viewers more than anything. It's what killed Dragonball Z.

Also, isn't "Coming-of-Age story" just something librarians tacked onto books to make it more appealing to the kids with Teen-complex (the liking of something due to some sort of inherent complexity despite how ridiculous it maybe, including but not limited to the use of over-complex/archaic vocabulary)? Sure, the kid stops acting like an idiot after a couple hundred episodes, but does that making it a Coming of Age story, or rather the producers realizing "Hey, this character-type is bad for the serious we're trying to go for now, maybe we should stop that." Naruto from what I've heard was intended to be a bit of a comedy in its first volume before shifting towards shounen-action thanks to its powers and such.

And sure, you can skip over the filler NOW, but imagine having to sit through that for weeks and weeks on end when it was still airing. What kind of ego do you have to have to have expected people to watch through so many episodes that amount to nothing? It could've done what every other sane manga/Visual Novel series adaptation does and take a break from production while waiting for new material. Instead, they made the filler. Why? To rake in more viewers and cash, which just shows how shallow of a show it really is.

I don't think the "popularity of monologues" should be a valid point. What's probably going on instead is that the monologues in Naruto are either feel forced or are half-baked. Monologues can be good, just not in the midst of battle while talking to your enemy.

And why does it figure that you also like Death Note?

EDIT:
Dr. Cakey said:
Probably the most important thing in this post. Naruto DOES say "Believe it" in the Japanese version. Specifically, he says "dattebayo". Not knowing a lick of Japanese I can't tell you what it means, but from what I've gleaned, "believe it" is a kind of okayish translation. Oh, and he says it at the end of ALMOST ALL of his sentences, the way 'cute' anime girls end their sentences with "desu".
You're right, you do not know a lick of Japanese.
Not sure exactly what dattebayo means, though I'm absolutely sure it doesn't mean "Believe it." (The closest translation I get to something that makes sense is "We must stand". Interpret that as you like. I'm basing this off of 「立ってばよ」 by the way.)

Also, "desu" is NOT just used by "'cute' anime girls", but is a formal ending to a sentence, usually translated as "It is". I don't see how this can be the most important part of your post other than to show the discreditably your defense of that phrase is.

Drafon

Mar 3, 2011
Here's a suggestion for everyone. You have been warned, there will be spoilers through this entire post.

First, I want everyone to read the manga up to the point wher Sasuke kills Itachi (or watch the anime, sans the filler). Then go out and find the entire series Nabari no Ou, and watch that. If you're smart, you will notice that while Naruto is fairly good, Nabari does everything that Naruto does except better. Here's a glaring example: Before we met Gaara, everyone thought Naruto was a tragic hero for being the one person who got the crap destiny of dealing with the Kyuubi. But then Gaara and later on Akatsuki show up and it turns out there's eight others! By contrast, Nabari starts with one and ends with one. For another thing, Aizawa (the character most easily likened to Sakura), is actually competent in combat (and I mean Sakura before she started getting training from the woman who is nothing but tits and fists). Raimei's conflict with her brother gets resolved much easier than Sasuke and Itachi. And Raimei was so much more likeable as a character. Sasuke brooded for his family and had a noble agenda, but he was a total ponce. Raimei on the other hand had the exact same noble goal as Sasuke, but she was a whiny little girl who was never allowed the chance to be a whiny little girl, so her appeal lay in everyone wanted to just let her cry on our shoulders while we stroked her bum for a few hours. Okay, I'm sorry, I needed a stupid sex joke in there. Also, Yoite is so much more tragic than Gaara. Sure, Gaara and Naruto are pretty much exactly the same, but Gaara revels in self-loathing while for Yoite, everyone can tell he hates himself for hating himself. Yoite seriously thinks the entire world would be better if he had never existed, and this may be the 1% of me that's still human talking, but a character who just wants to disappear is more likeable to me than a character who wants everyone else to disappear.

And now I'm done. If you read that entire thing, give yourself a cookie.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Flare Phoenix said:
Bloodstain said:
I like Naruto.
Don't you know that people who say "people only hate it because it is popular" are just people who don't want to admit other people might actually have valid reasons for disliking something they like?
Hey, look at my exact wording. I said that elitists hate it because it is popular. More reasonable people (as in, people who aren't elitists) might just have more valid reasons for disliking something.
I wasn't trying to call anybody who dislikes it an elitist.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Personally? Im sure others have said similar given 6 pages of responses, but this is it for me.

Atypical anime archtypes, plus the oxymoron of a "ninja" dressed in Day glow orange shouting at the top of his lungs "Believe it!!!!" over and over and over again.

Its not that the show is really bad, its just that its really not good, and essentially the pinnacle of the stagnation of Anime.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
Drafon said:
Here's a suggestion for everyone. You have been warned, there will be spoilers through this entire post.

First, I want everyone to read the manga up to the point wher Sasuke kills Itachi (or watch the anime, sans the filler). Then go out and find the entire series Nabari no Ou, and watch that. If you're smart, you will notice that while Naruto is fairly good, Nabari does everything that Naruto does except better. Here's a glaring example: Before we met Gaara, everyone thought Naruto was a tragic hero for being the one person who got the crap destiny of dealing with the Kyuubi. But then Gaara and later on Akatsuki show up and it turns out there's eight others! By contrast, Nabari starts with one and ends with one. For another thing, Aizawa (the character most easily likened to Sakura), is actually competent in combat (and I mean Sakura before she started getting training from the woman who is nothing but tits and fists). Raimei's conflict with her brother gets resolved much easier than Sasuke and Itachi. And Raimei was so much more likeable as a character. Sasuke brooded for his family and had a noble agenda, but he was a total ponce. Raimei on the other hand had the exact same noble goal as Sasuke, but she was a whiny little girl who was never allowed the chance to be a whiny little girl, so her appeal lay in everyone wanted to just let her cry on our shoulders while we stroked her bum for a few hours. Okay, I'm sorry, I needed a stupid sex joke in there. Also, Yoite is so much more tragic than Gaara. Sure, Gaara and Naruto are pretty much exactly the same, but Gaara revels in self-loathing while for Yoite, everyone can tell he hates himself for hating himself. Yoite seriously thinks the entire world would be better if he had never existed, and this may be the 1% of me that's still human talking, but a character who just wants to disappear is more likeable to me than a character who wants everyone else to disappear.

And now I'm done. If you read that entire thing, give yourself a cookie.
Id just like to mention I never thought Naruto was a "tragic hero", nor did the story ever make me feel that way. He was an annoying, whiny brat who accepted peer pressure and decided to attempt to be a "fool" and joke in order to cope. Thats not a tragic hero, that a child who I'd want to punt. He is unlikeable, and unrelatable.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Bloodstain said:
Flare Phoenix said:
Bloodstain said:
I like Naruto.
Hey, look at my exact wording. I said that elitists hate it because it is popular. More reasonable people (as in, people who aren't elitists) might just have more valid reasons for disliking something.
I wasn't trying to call anybody who dislikes it an elitist.
Oh, sorry about that :p. I thought you were saying everyone who hated it, only hated it because it was popular. Still I stand by what I said: anyone who says "people only hate it because it's popular" only say that because they can't handle people legitimately hating something they actually like.

Sorry for the misunderstanding though.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I am completely indifferent.

I don't watch Naruto, so I don't hate it. I can't hate something I haven't seen, and even then it takes a lot for me to truly, truly hate a show.
But I have seen the first few episode a few years ago, but stopped because it just wasn't for me, so I watched Death Note instead.

I used to ***** about Naruto a while ago when everyone else was doing it, but now I don't really care.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
I mostly read the manga, so I dont have the filler problem. It got bad shortly after the time skip. You were spot on with the first paragraph, but only with the original series. It had great fights, really great. The way they would use theor powers in unique, and very interesting ways (narutos clones, shikamarus shadows, rock lee destroying himself). The fights after the time skips depended too much on releasing super moves from the ass, and insanity. Another problem, and this is personal. After the time skips, the creator seemed to give up on making interesting looking characters, but thats me. But the biggest problem by far is The characterization after the skip. Specifically naruto and sasuke. Sasuke decideding to turn evil for realz made no sense, he wanted to kill his brother and did, but it wasnt enough. And Naruto has not matured at all, and he totally should have. I think that might be a problem with me too because after the timeskip he initially seemed like he matured but konohamaru did the improved sexy jutsu and so did naruto. I think we were supposed to think 'that's our naruto' a d i was just like fuck.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
PureChaos said:
firstly, FRIENDLY MUSHROOM

and i love Naruto, it's may favourite anime. sure there are a lot of filler episodes but the rest of it is pure awesomeness
not my fav, but close. Code Geass, Busou Renkin, High School of the Dead are above it. as is the first 60 eps of Bleach, before they start breaking thier own difficulty curves. anyway, still a great anime, just a lot of irrational hate for a lot of things on this site.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Flare Phoenix said:
Bloodstain said:
Oh, sorry about that :p. I thought you were saying everyone who hated it, only hated it because it was popular. Still I stand by what I said: anyone who says "people only hate it because it's popular" only say that because they can't handle people legitimately hating something they actually like.

Sorry for the misunderstanding though.
No worries!
I'll agree with you there, generalizing is genereally bad. Heh.
Whilst you cannot deny that there are a lot of people who like hating popular things, there are plenty of people who dislike things because it's just not their cup of tea.

Well, I am glad that everything cleared up.

Jumendez-sama

May 19, 2010
yman15 said:
Poomermon said:
I tried to watch this a while back but just couldn't go far. Main problem for me is that the main character Naruto is a obnoxious brat with little redeeming quality. Also making normally awesome ninjas (aka silent assassins) look like a loud screaming buffoons is not a good thing.
That's what I thought to but if your willing to give the show some time Naruto really grows on you and seeing him progress is so satisfying but that's only if your willing to give the show some time and some people just can't do that. I can see why investing 200+ hours into a shows is not an easy thing to do and I can see why people don't like it also I don't watch fillers at all and for the last thing I would like to refer to you to my good friend tv tropes http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HighlyVisibleNinja
If I'm wasting 200+ hours watching something with as intelligible a plot as some harem show (in that there is no plot and they just make things seem better than they are so that viewers will still watch) I expect blowjobs and pudding for every hour put into that show. (Yes, Yahtzee reference, but I feel as critical of this as he is on anything)

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
chaosyoshimage said:
Saltyk said:
chaosyoshimage said:
It's a popular Shonen anime with all the pros and cons that come with being that. Personally I like it but the anime is only good when they go all out on the animation. Too much pointless filler and dragged out scenes. To me, the manga is essentially Harry Potter with ninjas, which I consider a good thing.

BTW, I'm a big fan of the whole Naruto relates to the villain thing that always goes on with characters like Sasuke, Gaara, and Pain...
Okay, so this basically sums up my feelings about Naruto. But why does your avatar have to be Cell? The single villain/character I hated the most from pretty much any anime. And not in the way you are supposed to hate villains. I just flat hated his character.
And why does your avatar have to be Cloud? My single most hated character from pretty much any video game, Zack was way cooler. Also, Cell has a DS in this picture, it's awesome.
Touche, bag.

Because I couldn't find an avatar that I really liked when I originally selected it, and Cloud was the best choice I could come up with. And I suck at coming up with decent ideas for avatars and even if I could, I couldn't do the editing to make it work.

Though, I do like him. I also like Zack. I actually stopped playing at a certain point in Crisis Core as I slowly started to realize that he was gonna die, soon. And yes, the DS is awesome in that picture.