Why All the Hate on Naruto?

stinkyrobot

Nov 20, 2009
1. flash backs

2. bad animation

3. bad dub

4. every time they defeat a bad guy it turns out that there was another one who was the real big boss

5. filler

6. it's never really explained why a society that clearly has electricity( t.v) doesn't have things like guns, tanks ect

7. naruto in a nutshell does 3 attacks rasengan, shadow clones, summon a giant frog oh I guess I forgot take fox steroids

8. sakura

9. abundance of emo children

10. bad passing

11. bad writing

12. they aren't really ninjas. The writer said in one of his little panels about his life that he was going to make it about magic user like in harry potter, but after harry potter came out he changed it ninjas, but they still basically just use magick. They also have clothing that isn't stealthy and you might think that it's to blend into modern society, however they always have their headbands on... so yeah

13. flashbacks

goldendriger

Dec 21, 2010
EcoEclipse said:
I used to enjoy Naruto, until I realized that is was almost all filler and the plot didn't really go anywhere.

The basic structure of a Naruto story arc (as far as I can recall) is as follows:
-Let's start going for the next rank in our ninja training!
-Oh shit, bad guys!
-[Some fighting]
-Oh hey, I guess we're like, better ninjas or something.
-What are the bad guys trying to do, exactly?

Seriously. I have absolutely no idea what the goals of the main antagonists were. Were they just assholes, or what?
Well looks like you stopped watching after the first arc.
Because the main bad guys and their goals become very clear and (Unlike other animes) are an actual threat and its one of the new shonen anime where characters we know and love die (Unlike DBZ where they get revived every 5 minutes)

OT: Why are people targetting fillers? I mean sure fillers are gay, but look at Bleach's filler, Ichigo will be in mid-attack and they'll have a 6 month detour on some shitty adventure about teddy bears then he'll continue to attack, at least Naruto has the decency to finish up its arc before using fillers.

Personally i love Naruto, even some of the english dubbed voices arent bad (Naruto's is bad, but Kakashi, Lee and Gai's are pretty good) and i used to rag on it saying all it ammounted to was "SASUKE NOOOOO, SASUKE NOOOO" But it kinda grabbed me (I sat through Chunin exam part) and it paid off, i (Kinda) enjoyed the fillers, where they try and get Kakashi to remove his mask? That was amazing, it was a few filler episodes and it worked.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I personally don't like it because I don't really like any anime's, and also I find Naruto's character unbearable.

"Believe it!" *Thumbs*

-.-

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
oh, THIS is is gonne be SOOOOO Good! you know why i hate naruto? here i go;

1. it's gay. if the protagonist is gonna be flamboyant like richard simmons, i'm gonna go watch my little pony
2. anime in general, it's just weird! and this is coming from a brony to
3. i used to be reeeeally into it in middle school, i had no friends. once i grew up and i stopped being so into it and realized how gay it was, i magically had friends. haven't you noticed something about all otakus? they're more socially awkward than comic book nerds, they're on the same awkward level of magic the gathering nerds
4. the fan base. i just summed up the outsider perspective of otakus, and it's clear no one wants to hang out with someone who; smells funny, can't engage in a conversation properly, can't dress properly (weather in dorky clothing or cosplay everyday at school), or can only rant to you about how their favorite animes are the greatest things on earth. honestly, it's just rude.
5. my ex was an anime fan. i didn't mind it, but i remember one time she chose some anime convention over one night with me. wtf anime, cock blocking whore.

lastly, something real;

6. ninjas are supposed to wear all black and swear to vows of scilence and have their family killed by some rival clan and they swear revenge and shit, like in 80's ninja movies. what's with all this color and personality and story lines that go on FOREEEVER? gay.

*DISCLAIMER* this review does not in any way or form represent my view or opinion of the gay/lesbian community. the word 'gay' is merely used in this context as an immature expression of frustration.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
goldendriger said:
EcoEclipse said:
Well looks like you stopped watching after the first arc.
I actually got all the way through the original series (or pre-Shippuuden, if you prefer).

It's been about four-ish years since then, though. And I don't have the best memory.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Thaius said:
It?s a fantastic coming-of-age story with interesting, strategic battles and well-developed characters that are easy to care deeply about.
And a lot of people would disagree with that line right there.

Now, I really like Naruto (not Shippuden), but Naruto is far from perfect and there are a lot of little things that people don't like about it. From what I've heard, it's mainly the fillers, flash backs, long dragged out fights, the english dub, unnecessarily long descriptions, unrealistic ninjas (doesn't bother me though), too silly at times, and some others I can't remember. Also, I'm sure there is hate just because it is popular as well.

Your arguments are pretty weak against these, you can't skip filler when you watch it on TV because not everyone downloads or buys it, same for avoiding the english dub.

You say the arguments against are not sufficient enough to decry the shows quality, but what it actually is, is they are not good enough to you, and especially to any fan boy, because we know what they're like. That's the thing, everyone has different interests and Naruto has enough flaws to be disapproved by a lot of people.

I prefer Naruto over Bleach, DBZ, Death Note, Pokemon, and a lot of other shows though. It has a lot of crap but it does have it's awesome moments which is all I can remember from the show.

Soluncreed

Sep 24, 2009
I like it because the fights are really cool. That's basically it. Plus, Rock Lee, the man we should all aspire to be.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Thaius said:
The English dub is also a weak argument (though it is awful). Don't complain if what amounts to an American vocal adaptation is sub-par, just watch the original.
I can't enjoy original anime. I prefer good dubs when they appear, because I can differentiate much more comfortably between character voices. Good dubs I watch are Hetalia (cancelled, but may resurface) and One Piece (several different explanations on what happened to the Funimation dub, with several mentioning the Funimation online distribution which I can't access in Britain and don't fully understand.)

Of course if you prefer to watch subbed anime, that's your choice. What annoys me are the really pretentious subbed fans that utterly look down on fans of dubbed anime. The ones that pepper their conversation with random google translated japanese words and phrases. The ones bringing all that "weaboo" hate crap down on us. If you're willing not to be condescending about dubbed anime, and such, then fine. But I'm ranting!

blazearmoru

Sep 26, 2010
I believe there ought to be a little less hate on Naruto, and more hate against bleach as a copy of dragon ball.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
I hate the Good vs. Evil view. There are no shades of gray only utmost. And the acting judge is Naruto.

First there was Haku, who was two separate persons, maskedguy(Evil) and girlyguy(Good). When Naruto realised that the masked guy was Haku, Haku became "Good".

Second we were presented with Gaara, who was Evil and was Evil to the very end, until Naruto realised that Gaara was just like Naruto, and that ment he was "Good".

And lastly we get Sasuke, whos Naruto's bf, but is actually Evil, so now Naruto's head is full of shit.

The story is playing too long with this idea! Its utterly boring!

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
PureChaos said:
firstly, FRIENDLY MUSHROOM

and i love Naruto, it's may favourite anime. sure there are a lot of filler episodes but the rest of it is pure awesomeness
I just read the manga. I avoid all the crappy filler. And I'm as far along in the story as I can possibly be. I use to watch the anime, but I got so sick of the filler. It wasn't just a lot of it, but it was really bad and pointless. Not even the same show, in my view.

Also, Holy Crap! Mini Rasenshuriken! That's just evil.

Luciean said:
Naruto (the first series) suffered from a condition known as DBZ syndrome. They took 3 episodes to fight someone and sometimes longer to explain the backstory. I was glad to see that Shippuden seems to correct many of the problems in Naruto... although I enjoyed Naruto. Well, except for the filler parts... Bleach's filler was somewhat interesting; watching Naruto and friends help find lost animals and do other tasks was not.
To be fair, that was just to fill airtime in both series. People always joke about how long characters power up in DBZ, but I got curious and checked the manga. Guess what. They don't spend pages powering up. They just do. If memory serves, Frieza basically just said "Now, I'll fight you with 50% of my full power" and then he was fighting with 50% of his full power. They even did it in Bleach. How long did it take Ichigo to use his Bankai for the first time? Like 10 minutes. The manga did that in about 2 pages.

I'm not saying that it's not pretty garbage, but don't blame the series for that. That's the fault of the people who though translating an ongoing manga series into a anime was a good idea.

MrLumber

Jan 13, 2009
I dislike all anime equally (I like some, but they are few and far between), Naruto just showed me that.

I think its the;
Poor writing.
Dull episodes.
Unnecessary monologuing.
Poor animation.
Cookie cutter characters. (say that 5x fast)
Dull 'Evil cuz I'm Evil' villains.
Shallow characters. (Literally no one does anything surprising throughout the whole series)
Unintelligent characters. (The only solution to anything is to beat the other guy up)
Etc.

Anyway, I'd imagine that that has something to do with it.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
The next person who complains that "they're not ninjas" may be required to pay a fine of watching all the Naruto fillers back-to-back without eating or sleeping. A fate worse than death, indeed.

I find it rather amusing when people say that Naruto or Bleach are cliche shounen. At their inception, they weren't, though they then codified a new cliche for future shows. Both shows have also had their characters Flanderized and gradually drained of personality as well, turning them into cliches.

Anyway, the problems come from the filler, yes, and also this: Naruto Uzumaki the character does not like very cool. There's just no way around it. He looks like a dumbass because, you know, he is (until Kishimoto realized it wasn't interesting to have him be a dumbass and turned him into a conventional shounen hero). And, of course, the early episodes are, for the most part, the show's own High School Alternate Universe anime.

What Naruto does have is a host of interesting secondary characters. Too many, possibly, as a result of it being a jillion episodes long. Zabuza and Haku from the Land of Waves arc are the originals and what many people may be most familiar with. Shikamaru is (used to be) a fun character. Neji Hyuga was fantastic. The Sound Four were only interesting in terms of their abilities, but Kimimaro was quite good. Orochimaru was interesting as well, until it gradually dawned on you that he spent two years bedridden getting acclimated to a new body and then two years bedridden with the body rejecting him. Not exactly action material.

Itachi and Kisame were the first of the Akatsuki introduced, and Itachi Uchiha is, of course, a fan favorite. One of my favorites as well. Studio Pierrot likes him as well, I think, because they LOVE flashing back to his speech to Sasuke after the massacre. The Akatsuki are a big choose your favorite menagerie. Sasori was amazing despite existing solely to convince us that Sakura is no longer useless. Deidara is something of a dark horse candidate (hm). Then there are those two guys who like a little bit off, like they were designed for a filler arc (you can see they're REAL memorable). I just realized I can't remember everybody, so I suppose I'll round it off with my favorite character: "In attendance: the Six Paths of Pain!" I was very disappointed as he suffered from Monster Decay, becoming weaker in each subsequent appearance.

EDIT: Probably the most important thing in this post. Naruto DOES say "Believe it" in the Japanese version. Specifically, he says "dattebayo". Not knowing a lick of Japanese I can't tell you what it means, but from what I've gleaned, "believe it" is a kind of okayish translation. Oh, and he says it at the end of ALMOST ALL of his sentences, the way 'cute' anime girls end their sentences with "desu".

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
Figured Id throw in my pov since you asked.

I used to love the show, but I only got a few season into it. I will add the fact I HATE the dub but I actually found the show WAY before it was popular in the states. In fact the only way to get the DVD's was a bootleg copy I found on ebay years ago. Weird eh?

Filler: Yes, this is an issue, and as much as you dont want to hear about it its a huge one. I shouldnt have to shift through episodes in order to find the meaningful ones. This show is supposed to entertain me, not make me do work, or be forced to suffer through crap when I dont want to do said work. I shouldnt feel punished.

The length: This series is ungodly long. Now before you ***** at me I also dont care for Bleach or Death Note or all those other "shonen jump" series. It might be long purely because of the filler, but its still way too long to keep my interest. This will tie into my next complaint, but I just dont give enough of a damn about the characters to keep watching for 200+ episodes. I also dont have enough TIME. (Funny enough I actually do things like go to college and work and converse with human beings. Weird...) The series would have been a lot better being a lot shorter, and less convoluted.

Characters and Characterization: There might be a ton of characterization, I believe there are for this series. However I just dont care about the characters themselves. Sasuke is the emo ***** who angsts every moment. Naruto is the really annoying, loud, "bubbly" character I hate in all video games and anime. He's smart mouthed, annoying, and obnoxious. I would hate his character in real life, and I hate him here. I dont find anything redeeming about him. Sakura... I wont get into her and how much she bugs me. They might evolve later, they might grow, but they just didnt keep my interest. I didnt CARE about how they evolved, and stretching it out didnt hold my interest.

Animation: Admit tingly it's not terribly animated. Definitely not the worst Ive seen so little complaint there.

Story Arcs: In my opinion, they just got boring. I could never figure out how the great Kakashi (Im remembering all this from years ago mind you so I might make errors. Forgive me) is so powerful, and yet Naruto seems to be able to thwart him almost always. What I mean is this, example: The first movie I believe? Once again its been a few years. All I remember is Kakashi having trouble with some lacky of the main bad dude, and Naruto single handedly being able to defeat the most powerful foe. This occurs a lot in these kinds of series as the main character grows to become more powerful than the master, but there was little build up to this point. I would understand when Naruto was older, however as far as I remember he was still a young kid during this. He is doing things and having abilities that are not believable to me during that story arc.

Ill end this. I just dont care for the show and wince whenever I hear of it. Throw me baccano, durarara, anything that holds intelligence. I just cant stand more of these "mass chapter" sell outs.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
chaosyoshimage said:
It's a popular Shonen anime with all the pros and cons that come with being that. Personally I like it but the anime is only good when they go all out on the animation. Too much pointless filler and dragged out scenes. To me, the manga is essentially Harry Potter with ninjas, which I consider a good thing.

BTW, I'm a big fan of the whole Naruto relates to the villain thing that always goes on with characters like Sasuke, Gaara, and Pain...
Okay, so this basically sums up my feelings about Naruto. But why does your avatar have to be Cell? The single villain/character I hated the most from pretty much any anime. And not in the way you are supposed to hate villains. I just flat hated his character.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Thaius said:
A common complaint I?ve heard is about the filler, but the fact is this is not sufficient reason to decry the show?s quality, mainly because it is simply the lesser of two evils. Shows like Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note, while both amazing shows, amount to disappointing endings because they just did their own thing when they caught up with the manga. Naruto instead takes the approach of making a filler arc when it catches up to the manga on which it?s based, in order to let the manga get ahead enough for the anime to adapt it. Filler is necessary in order to keep the show running while allowing the show to still follow the story of its source material. That?s far better than just going off on its own and eventually ending disappointingly.
The problem isn't so much with the filler itself. The problem is the filler is almost always boring. Nothing can really happen in the filler, because they can't really change anything in any meaningful way as it will no doubt contradict the manga when it comes around. No matter what happens in the filler, the status quo has to ALWAYS be restored at the end of it to allow the series to be continued from the manga.