Why are all anime characters white?

Jazzeki

Jun 29, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
O
/¦\
/\

Is man above Caucasian or Asian. The idea is that Caucasian's see Caucasian and Asian's see Asian, due to lack of features as happens in anime. Excuse rubbish asci art.

So most are supposed to be Asian. But there is no way you are going to convince me that the two bothers Elric brothers from Fullmetal Alchemist with their blonde hair (yes, know lots of asian kids dye their hair) and blue eyes are Asian. No way.
to be fair fullmetal alchemist might very well if not defiently be the exception in this case. since the world is more or less based on an alternate europe they should be german looking more or less. we then have ling and the others from xing actually haveing extreame asian features... it's almost like it's drawn by someone not asian witch is kinda funny.
but yeah TL;DR amestrians are germans more or less.

Jazzeki

Jun 29, 2011
Lethos said:
My Japanese textbook is hilarious when it comes to this. The textbook features some cartoon characters from different countries in the world. All of the Japanese characters, admittedly look white. So to make the characters from America and Britain look different to the Japanese characters, they have given them the biggest and most circular eyes you can imagine.

Jonluw said:
The Japanese do not "idolize" western culture or have some desire to be like 'us'.
This isn't entirely true to be honest. There is a fashion trend in Japan to dye your hair blonde and get a surgery to make your eyes more circular. It's not got a massive following, but when I was in Japan I did see quite a few girls doing this.
it would still be like saying america idolizes japan just because they have few weirdo otakus going a tiny bit too far. sure we have the nutjobs everywhere who want to be someone their not but don't judge a nation based on these guys.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Toriver said:
No, no they do not.

While there may be a good deal of fascination with Western culture, the Japanese decidedly do NOT idolize it anywhere close to as much as their own. At best it's given slightly less attention than Korean culture.
No credit for partial answers! ;)

In visual aesthetic terms, Japan is saturated with references to 'Western culture'. There are people in Yoyogi Park who dress up like rockabillies every weekend and have dance-offs like they're in Grease. There are people who dress like 80s British punks. Even supposedly 'Japanese' pop-cultural phenomena tend to draw from Western visual styles, Visual Kei being a prime example. Very little in Japanese visual culture does not draw on Western cultural tropes.

What you're referring to is that Japanese people themselves tend to no longer see these things as 'foreign', they've lost their connection to an outside source or the things they reference. This leads to a bizarre paradox that Japan is extremely culturally insular, while at the same time borrows its visual language almost intact from the West.

There is another thing which bears mentioning though, and that is that there is a slight but observable degree of racial fetishism in Japan. We're talking about a country where eyelid surgery (to put a crease in the eye, which most asian people lack) is a standard beauty treatment, where blonde hair and blue eyes are signs of beauty despite the fact that noone possesses them, where blaxploitation still somehow thrives in the absence of any real (and sizeable) black population. It's not necessarily harmful, like everything else I think it's too robbed of cultural context to be directly offensive to anyone, but it's still kind of distasteful.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Actually, they just have light asian skin tones most of the time.

But I've seen white, black, purple, asian, green anime characters before. Not to mention really, really tanned ones... urgh.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
tahrey said:
Even Studio Ghibli - with a long, somewhat questionable tradition of having entirely aryan character lists - has used that last one from time to time.
That's just the thing though - they're NOT mean to be Aryan. The non-black hair is probably partly a throwback to the days of differentiating characters by hair colour, and also Miyazaki does seem to have a bit of a raging fetish for Western influences and styling in his anime. But in general, I honestly believe his characters are meant to be culture-free "everyman" avatars.

In the Japanese culture, like many cultures around the world, having a clear and light complexion is seen as an aesthetic ideal. Just because many anime characters are light-skinned doesn't mean they're trying to be Western.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Is it okay if I assume that the OP is a troll of some sort?

Or would it be more polite to just assume that s/he's a generalizing idiot of some kind?

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Jazzeki said:
it would still be like saying america idolizes japan just because they have few weirdo otakus going a tiny bit too far. sure we have the nutjobs everywhere who want to be someone their not but don't judge a nation based on these guys.
Yeh I agree with you, I was just saying there is some Japanese fashion trends that do idolise Caucasians.

tobyornottoby said:
Could you scan this? =)
No scanner, but I hope a low-res, itouch, camera picture will do lol.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Ryu Jose from MSG and Claudia LaSalle from SDF Macross
and I don,t think "white" anime characters look even remotely Asian.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
*sigh* This shit again. look man, everyone else have posted the video I was thinking of.

stop asking this question, PLEASE.

Rinshan Kaihou

Dec 3, 2009
Yukari Morita from Rocket girls

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/yukari1.jpg/]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us [http://imageshack.us]

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
chuckman1 said:
Seriously I don't understand why in so many animes (especially ones taking place in JAPAN) ALL characters are white. Seriously I never see any asian features on any anime characters.
Maybe it's the art style but I don't see why everyone would look like an American white person.

SO why do you think even "asian" anime characters don't look asian at all?

They have black guys in anime at least.....supposedly

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
Simple, there are little to no black people in Japan or Asia. It's not their fault, it's just a country thing.

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
Wuggy said:
Yes, it's the art style.

Asian people are usually recognized by their eyes being being "leaner", resulting from their eyelids being kind of lower. However, the Japanese culture considers small eyes (particularly on anime) to look "mean" or "rude". The artstyle reflects on that: you'll notice that most often young and/or the main characters (the good guys) have large eyes, whereas usually the antagonists and/or people with dismissive/mean/cool personality have leaner eyes.

Also, saying all anime character are "all" white, simply isn't true. I don't watch anime or read manga myself, and I know this.
Probably the best answer I got thank you.
I understand better now.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I'm European but most animie chracters (tho I get confused occasionally) looked more asain to me. Probably because most of the people I know who are Asian including the one who introduced me to amine in the first place have largeish eyes, pale skin and rounded faces like many anime characters have. Not the squinty eyes and yellow skin people seem to associate with all of asia. The eye and hair colour can confuse things but many anime don't follow normal eye or hair colours.
Kinda off topic: I remember a while ago there was a debate over a photoshoped image of faith form mirrors edge where someone and tried to make her appeal to the "asian standard of beauty" more. People where going on about ?unrealistic? it was, how sad it was the the Asian editor decided to make her more ?western? looking or how they are obsessed with westerns ?round eyed beauty?. Thing is, the photoshoped version (aside from the boobage) looked almost exactly like a girl I knew. It?s not the western standard of beauty and honestly seems kind of weird to me that people think so.