Why are Americans so Patriotic?

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Let them have their patriotism.

Their country is still new, they still have time to do a few more war crimes, maybe colonise some places, kill the natives etc.

You're only young once.

*sips tea*

Yes, quite.
ah fair has it they are so young and naive they thing the idea of patriotism and liberty is theirs and theirs alone

who the heck is napoleon and what is this revolution in france you speak of say they

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
As an American I think its important to make the distinction between the American Ideal, and the American Actual. To insult what america has devolved into in the past decade or two is perfectly logical and really makes sense... because everything is falling apart and nobody seems to care.

But to insult what America IS and what we as a country (at least try to) stand for. Well that's just silly. For fuck's sake we've been to the moon, we've saved the world and changed forever how nations interact. Any time something important has happened in the past century its been with america on the front page.

Like it or not, this is a very important nation and the people have a right to be proud of it.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
Are we a young country? Can we really define what it means to be an 'old' country? Let's take a country like China.

Historically China was a mess of independent warring states that were eventually unified under the first Emperor. Several dynasties passed, and the borders expanded, eventually reaching all the way to the middle east. Attacks from Mongols, internal strife and outside influence eventually decayed the empire to a smaller piece than all of southeast asia that it had been. By the time WWII came around, Japan was able to stroll in and butcher millions with relatively little resistance. From the ashes a communist state rose up and took the title of China. You can argue that China is over 2000 years old all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the Peoples Republic of China is less than 70 years old.

Another example is Egypt. It's been around since Biblical times. It has waxed and waned in power and has been conquered by several countries. It's latest incarnation was a post WWII state that had its president brought down by revolution earlier this year.

It's been a hell of a century for countries. The UK lucked out that they weren't eaten up like the rest of Europe and actually made it through in one piece. 300 years ain't too bad for the UK being around, but the US is gonna claim 220. Yeah, most Americans claim 1776 as the founding, but it wasn't until the 1790's when we actually 'became' what we are today. There really aren't that many countries out there who have had a stable government for as long as we have. A little bit of patriotism is good, but everything in moderation.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
Orinon said:
Now I'm No American but I do know some of America's history so here's my answer to that.
The U.S. was originally a British colony, however certain rules and policies made by the British angered the U.S., they weren't given a say in the mater, the Britain were giving them no freedom and it pissed them off.
So eventually they revolted, throwing off the British influence entirely.

Now I'm not going to criticize any of the U.S. right now, even if I want to I'm answering a fair question and I would like it if an american would read my post and tell me if I'm right.

Now the U.S.'s Culture is based off personal freedom, in itself a pretty decent thing to value. Democracy, Capitalism, these are signs of personal freedom and power to the people. In the U.S. you can control your destiny, you have a voice and you can be heard, you can make your fortune with the right luck and skill.

SO why the massive Patriotism? well like everyone else, value their Ideals, and those Ideals were built into their system, so their country, their government represents their Ideals made real.
SO that's my answer anyone from the U.S.A. mind telling me how I did?
Again, american here.

So, you got it partially right. But there is a big glareing 700 billion dollar part of this patriotism that you forgot about.

The US never loses, we fuck up sure, but nobody has ever beaten the united states into submission. We are taught this in school from a young age, and every american including the hippies are proud of the fact that our military is so massive that no other country goes to war without thinking "is this going to piss off Washington?"

Its this feeling of invincibility, and our self made attitude that makes us all think, "we did this ourselves and we did it better than anyone else ever" its called manifest destiny, we make our destiny and since we never fail it seems like its just how the world works to us.

Its a very flawed viewpoint I know, and its pretty obvious that it varies person to person, but watch the news and see the flag waving fat people and you'll get a pretty clear idea what I'm on about.

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
Gamblerjoe said:
A true patriot would not defend the wrong doings of their country. A true patriot has enough respect for their country to point out its flaws and suggest solutions for the betterment of all.
I'm of the same opinion. I'm an American as well, and I really dislike what is going on in this country with big business and politics. Now, I strongly support those who KNOW what they are fighting for amongst the 99% on Wall Street and everywhere else, but the "casual protesters" aren't helping the fight.

I'm all for a good time if it doesn't hurt anyone, but drum circles are NOT going to create the change we need in this country.

THIS is what is truly important!

Sparkytheyetti

Jul 24, 2009
One specific thing comes to mind. The troops. People hate on the troops for being baby killers and momma rapers, or just feeding the evil government machine. When honestly a soldier is just like every other person. They go to work, do the job they were hired to do, and go home. When put into a war, they do whatever is necessary to get back to base, and home, safely. Politics, generally, have nothing to do with when a soldier goes to war. They are ordered to do a job. Just like everyone else. Only they can go to jail for saying no of instead of just being fired.

People wonder why we are like, "Think of the troops. Brings our men and women home. Support a soldier." It's because we did the exact opposite during Vietnam. We treated our soldiers like fucking convicts. We'd beat them, spit on them, tell them they're not real men, their unpatriotic. Now we've learned that is unpatriotic and just down right cruel. Plus put in the civil rights movement of top of that with all the other crap during the 60's.

Personally, i wanted to serve. I still plan on it. When i got out of high school i wanted to be one of two things. A welder or a soldier. Well i couldn't meet enlistment standards at the time so i went to work. I made MRAP's for the military for 3 years. When the need for them was incredibly high because of IED's and roadside bombs. I was proud to do that. I worked 7 days a week, 12 hours a day for 6 months. I walked in everyday though thinking i was making a difference and, Hopefully, bringing a soldier home in one piece. I've even had a few soldiers thank me on occasion. I couldn't be any more proud to be American. Just because i was making a small difference.

Now, i love my country and am willing to fight for it on any occasion, regardless of the reasons. I may not like it, and i may not agree with it, but id do it. I may hate some of the things my government does, but i still love my country. I wont go up to any person and say,"love america or get the fuck out." But i do have a sense that i come from a certain place, and i love it regardless. Even if i don't agree with it sometimes.

Patriotism: Loving your country, but not being afraid to question it.

Aug 20, 2011
zehydra said:
majora13 said:
zehydra said:
American Patriotism is taught to children from an early age, in both the family and in public schools.

I'm an American, and what they're doing here is essentially brainwashing.

If you're over here, and you think we shouldn't be a union of 50 states, like I do, you're regarded as a traitor.
Hardly. Some of the Republican presidential candidates believe Lincoln should have let the Confederacy secede.
that includes me, but I wouldn't consider myself Republican.

But honestly, the ones that do aren't the viable candidates.
There's a viable Republican candidate? But I agree as well, there were some noble causes for going to war but the cost was catastrophic and it's still being felt today. For one thing, if we let them secede we wouldn't have to deal with the red states...

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Isn't everyone a little patriotic? If you don't like your country, why do you live there? Well, I guess like in everything else, there's always that minority that takes it too far, and then everyone else gets grouped in with them.
I like my country (America). It's nowhere near perfect, but I don't think anywhere is. Plus, we have a really snazzy flag.

Brainpaint

Sep 28, 2011
Which country you end up "belonging" to is an accident of birth...

Just so happens than my accident gave me a bitchin' accent!

Indicentally, also a heavily patriotic country. To it's severe detriment. If you're not from Scotland and live there, you get treated a hell of a lot harshly than those just passing through. Basically, there are a lot of backstabbing behaviour. One family my sister knew got a window-bricking just because the mother was English.

"Your country is lovely!"
"Cheers, pal. Yie stayin' here long, like?"
"Actually, I've been living here for five years now. I have two children that go to the local school and I'm part of the local council."
"Oh, right. We got ourselves another wannabe CONQUEROR... F**K AFF YA HAIRY BAWBAG WHITE SETTLER!"

What America's got is tame by personal comparison. A friend of mine once had a Virginian girfriend and she came over to stay for a fortnight. From what I recall she said Scotland was equal to if not slightly more patriotic than America. Flags on almost every car, flags out of every tenth window, flags on every 20th shirt, flags flags flag flag flags sold everywhere.

Actually, technically what Scotland's got is "Nationalism". Less like "Our country is great!" and more like "It's ours, It's better than every other country in the world, our people are superior and nobody else can have it!"

Tyzamar

Apr 13, 2010
I think it's mostly the older generation. I work for my state and I have to take the flags down every night. If you take the US flag down before the state one the older guys who work there flip shit and yell at you. It's pretty ridiculous. I could honestly give a shit about patriotism/America. I wish New Hampshire would secede from the country. That'd be a dream come true.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
We're not. Maybe in the middle of the country where it's most backwards we do, but on the coasts (where the important stuff happens) we aren't so proud of our country.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
Axyun said:
Like videogames, countries have their fanboys and they don't represent the majority.
I would disgagree. I would suspect the majority of Americans are Patriotic. You may not always like the actions our government takes, but you can still be patriotic. I suspect the people on this forum, are more the minority, representing specific interests and are often vocal about youth like topics. Which is usually Vogue to speak out against the leadership or actions of those we didn't vote for or grow up with.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I find most criticisms of America are very fair. Some are ridiculous though. But that goes with any stereotype. What annoys me is when people criticize something that's not true, or based off of false beliefs. I have found myself in the sticky situation of defending America (not a favorable place to be).

Patriotism, no matter who is doing it, tends to be foolish. It is the result of having a lack of realistic views. And it shows how little critical thought people put into what they say.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Because the idea of patriotism has been pumped into our heads since birth. There is nothing wrong with some pride in your own country but people usually take it over the top because the minute somebody says something "un-patriotic" then, in this day and age, people think it is talk of rebellion and communistic and so on and so forth. I like our nation's principle and ideals and such but the people we have running it are not always the best. I love my country, but not so much that I verbally attack anyone with the slightest hint of dislike in america.