Why are kids such brats

kwagamon

Jun 24, 2010
Trezu said:
sorry if my english is bad
At least you admit to/apologize for it. I'd say that alone makes up for it as long as you're intelligible. Aaaaaanyway...

Being made fun of for your clothes is not even close to the worst thing I've ever seen kids doing. For example, I was 17, almost 18, at this time when I was playing a game of Marvel Universe RPG with my friends at the library. We'd gotten out early because it was an exam day, then I remember at the stroke of 2:30 the wannabe gangsta' kids walked in making as much noise as approximately 2.5 (out of 5) elephants getting prostate exams by three doctors/veterinarians simultaneously. They saw us quietly playing our game at a table in the young adults area, and immediately came over to us and demanded that we give up the table for them to sit at. Bear in mind that there was plenty of empty seats and tables and they were allowed to sit on the floor. Being the GM for the campaign, I elected myself spokesman and politely told them to go fuck themselves. The 8th grader didn't take that kindly. He said something to the effect of "Yeah, well at least I get laid." I looked him right in the eye and told him that I had more girls wanting me at that time than he'd ever talked to. (In this individual case that was true. Seriously not one human female liked this kid, and I'm amazed he had friends at all.) He spluttered and declared that this simply couldn't be, since I was a nerd, and then demanded that we vacate the table for his gaggle of idiots. I asked him if he knew what the word "public" meant. He said yes, so I told him that he should therefore be aware that any legal resident of the United States had a right to use the table for anything the rules of the establishment allowed. The argument continued basically in circles from there until a librarian kicked him out.

These are the same kids I've seen pull knives for no reason. Also, here's a gem from a conversation I had with one of them once over a game of Brawl.

Me: Solid Snake's finisher should be something bigger than a grenade launcher. Like Metal Gear Rex or something. It would fit better.
Kid: What game is he from?
Me: That doesn't dignify an answer.
Kid: What's "dignify"?
Me: That also doesn't dignify an answer.

God, I hate kids.

EDIT: Just thought of an excellent quote for this thread.

"Don't blame television for your kids! Have you ever thought about sitting down with your kids... And hitting them?"
-Bender Bending Rodriguez

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
I don't see how parents don't beat the tar out of brats like that. If my mom ever caught me using language like that as a kid she'd beat me to within an inch of my life.

OT: Some kids really need a good punch to the jaw, and parents nowadays are too sissified to punish them. It's both the child's fault for being a prick and the parents fault for now raisng them right.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Trezu said:
tellmeimaninja said:
That's not the kid's fault. It's shitty parenting. Most modern parenting consists of buying your kids' love and then shoving your values down their throat.
I blame the parents as well but the kids are the one doing it shouldn't we judge the kids more so then the parents?
No, no you cannot. In the early proccesses of the human mind, things change and decide how a person will come out.

Neglect
Being hurt
Loved
Taught

A child is a blank slate. They didn't come built in with swearing, they learned it from other people.

They don't come with morals built in, they learn that from god willingly their parent or guardian.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Wyes said:
What's more likely is that the kids aren't getting any worse. Every generation has a habit of thinking the generation after them are some kind of hell spawn. In reality, the percentage of 'bad' kids probably hasn't gotten any greater, nor has the behaviour of them gotten any worse, or at least not dramatically so.

Exacerbating this is increased media exposure to these sorts of acts, so it appears as though the problem is getting worse, when really it's just being represented more.

Of course, naturally this is all my opinion based off of things I've heard before, there are no objective truths here.
I agree completely.

Criquefreak

Mar 19, 2010
I'd have to agree with the bad parenting comments. There's far too much of people trying to pawn off those duties to schools (who legaly can't), television and video games (clearly missing the point), or the internet (often more harmful). Lack of consequences for the parents probably contributes to this as does a disturbing and growing trend of getting a child medicated should the parents feel the child's uncontrollable.

Proper discipline would be a helpful tool, but it's a thing learned only by dedicated parents or attempted to be forced on those that are caught being physically abusive. Proper child-rearing techniques would be a much more helpful thing to make mandatory in schools, particularly seeing how sex ed seems to be failing or encouraged via practice by teaching 'abstinence' (seriously, don't tell a child an option and then discourage it, especially without adequately teaching why it's harmful).

As far as spankings/beatings go, it seems more likely to promote rebellion at the same time as allowing parents to abuse a child rather than discipline them. The fact that public acts of this sort would get the parents into legal trouble, thus reinforcing the idea that the child can do anything they want and their parents can't do anything to stop them.

Wyes also makes a good point about the fact that ease of media availability has increased exposure to the world at a degree much greater than generations past. Rather than hearing about this sort of thing only amongst one's social group, we can view/hear/read about things going on anywhere in the world on a daily basis and controversial topics are often the most popular.

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
Asuka Soryu said:
MystryMeet said:
Because parents aren't allowed to spank their children in public anymore....
I never swore at or around adults when I was a kid. Even now I respect people and only curse when I am around friends that don't mind.

As a child when ever I acted out I was reprimanded immediately, even in a store. I would get a swift slap to the bum. Plus media today is pretty messed up, and parents let their children watch or do what ever they want. Kids today are growing up with no guide lines or morals and it's all the parents fault.
I have to heavily disagree with this. I was punished as a kid when I got out of line. The end result was I started to loathe my parent's existence, wether being that I refused to accept them or feeling betrayed/wronged. To this day, I've developed emotional issues, a violent nature and still hold a grudge against my father for what he did, even though it's not that I don't love him... but a part of me is still full of rage for everytime I was hurt.
Sorry to hear that, but I didn't mean to actually hurt the child. My parents spanked me so it was more public humiliation that made me stop, not the pain. I mean you shouldn't hurt the child just show them that they shouldn't do bad things, because sometimes telling them to stop doesn't work. But I truly am sorry about your father hurting you, he should not have done that.

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
yeah I know a lot of kids are jerks but try and I mean try to not wright us all of gives us a chance, if within 5 words they call you a cocksucking cowboy go ahead and tune them out but know that not all kids are jerks. I think a lot of it steams from either too much beating or not enough, in some cases you have to hit a kid but when you have a baby crying in the store you don't hit um, but when you have a 5 year old who starts screaming I want candy and making an ass of himself a swift smack to the ass is a good renforcement and depending on the kid that should stop when you can start to reason with a child, the only time my dad hit me was when I was like 1 and I slapped him twice then the third time he hit me.

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
tommyopera said:
Because you were exposed to the middle and lower classes of American children. The elite few who are educated in our top ivy-league prep-schools and groomed to control our industry and political machinations are far more well-bred. You just never see them as they live lives apart from the rest of us. I know this because I sing opera for their parents' amusement and Foundation monies.

I come from a lower-middle-class background. I had to educate myself in proper civic conduct, because my heart lead me to this conclusion. Other kids are lazier than I, hence, an unwillingness to make the effort to be civil. Expanding your lexicon and your understanding of civility go a long way in making your life better. Achieved through the alteration of the perception of you by others and their adaptation to that perceived alteration. It is a kind of inverse application of the axiom "live by the Sword, die by the Sword."
Not entirely true, I was taught the proper manners and how to conduct myself in public and I am from a lower middle class household, my dad walks around in boxers for goodness sakes. There are a lot of Hispanics and African-americans around where I live and my generation is perfectly capable of acting in a dignified manner. I think its just the newer generation of children that are too lazy, or ignorant.

FortheLegion

Dec 16, 2008
I hate brats like that... What makes it even more horrible is that they're everywhere from New Hampshire to Melbourne, Australia. I hate them all. I always feel like punching them in the faces or even more drastic: killing them. I would do it if it wouldn't ruin my life.....

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
Asuka Soryu said:
Trezu said:
tellmeimaninja said:
That's not the kid's fault. It's shitty parenting. Most modern parenting consists of buying your kids' love and then shoving your values down their throat.
I blame the parents as well but the kids are the one doing it shouldn't we judge the kids more so then the parents?
No, no you cannot. In the early proccesses of the human mind, things change and decide how a person will come out.

Neglect
Being hurt
Loved
Taught

A child is a blank slate. They didn't come built in with swearing, they learned it from other people.

They don't come with morals built in, they learn that from god willingly their parent or guardian.
I refuse to believe that when I was forming I was exposed to only my mother for most of my life she is a nice person who believes sprinkles and butterflies live around every corner, but I still grew up to be a sarcastic little asshole who just happens to behave(down to the same taste in food).

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
Criquefreak said:
As far as spankings/beatings go, it seems more likely to promote rebellion at the same time as allowing parents to abuse a child rather than discipline them. The fact that public acts of this sort would get the parents into legal trouble, thus reinforcing the idea that the child can do anything they want and their parents can't do anything to stop them.
There is a difference between beating and spanking. I do not promote beating. I just had another convo where a person developed issues because of spanking. Spanking is not supposed to dramatically hurt the child. It is to get their attention and make them listen. It's not even supposed to hurt all that much. The rare times I got in trouble my mother would stop me, give me a swift spank with my pants on so it didn't really hurt and make me look her in the eyes. Then she would tell me "You see those people looking at you? They don't appreciate the way you are acting and I don't either." The fact that I was bothering other people and the humiliation it brought made me want to stop. Of course this would not work on everybody, and I want to get it across I do not condone beating/abuse. If it hurts the child to the point it makes them cry or bruises them, its too hard. Also I agree with the rest of your post.

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
tommyopera said:
MystryMeet said:
I think its just the newer generation of children that are too lazy, or ignorant.
I think you and I are the exception that proves the rule.
Not even your mates? All of mine are respectful when it comes to adults and not acting like a complete loon.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
For the first example you should have stood up for yourself, they feel they can get away with it because no one will discipline them, parents or you.

Second time, while potentially intimidating, isn't that bad. People of all ages are assholes.

Third one isn't any of your business. Unless they were being verbally insulting to you, then get them kicked out. No place offers an unlimited abuse to staff policy. Parents may be the cause of the problem, but you are part of the problem if you aren't part of the solution

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
hyperhammy said:
they aren't the little angles
orly?

Anyways, being (cyber) bullied by such cool brave kids daily, I can't really say you're unlucky....
Kids are brats lately, I have no idea why, me being one of them.
The kids that is, I am not a brat.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Why are kids brats? Because governments and politically correct a-holes deem it neccessary NOT to allow us to discipline the little shizheads.

I was clipped round the ear if I did something wrong when I was a kid. If I screamed and messed around in a supermarket, I'd have the back of my legs slapped right there in the middle of the store. I got a hell of a lot more than just "That's it! No games for you!" and then five minutes later "Oh, you've been good, I won't stop you doing what you want".

My name is Byere, I work in a grocery store and I f***ing HATE children.

FortheLegion

Dec 16, 2008
tommyopera said:
FortheLegion said:
I hate brats like that... What makes it even more horrible is that they're everywhere from New Hampshire to Melbourne, Australia. I hate them all. I always feel like punching them in the faces or even more drastic: killing them. I would do it if it wouldn't ruin my life.....
Thank Heaven for Law and Order huh? Killing a person tends to put a damper on the rest of your life, even when they deserve it.
Thank heaven indeed :D
Think of the Horrible monster i would become; Slaughtering everyone that i despise.....I wonder how many i could kill before being stopped......

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
Kids are such brats because we currently in the Retard Society.
Remember the baby boomers? How they tried to turn all the kids into neat freak, safety nut, anal-retentive robots? Well now Society and the Media is trying to turn kids into neat freak, safety nut, anal-retentive robots with a lower IQ.