Why are MOST PC gamers full of so much hatred towards Consoles?

beniki

May 28, 2009
Krylock said:
Usually in most threads you come across, full of PC gamers (fanboys, if you will) and Console gamers, it always turns into a gigantic flame war on what is better.

One thing that i always did notice is that the PC gamers are usually the ones to start the whole war. It almost seems like they get enjoyment out of starting pointless arguments and debates. Big deal, you paid nearly 1 grand, maybe more just so you can game with a mouse and a keyboard. Paying more for your gaming situation gives you no excuse to talk down on people who pay less for their gaming set ups (I.e console gamers).

I also see no legitimate reasons being stated as to why they hate console gaming. They just start bringing up the whole "Specs vs Specs" debate, and never state factual statements on why they hate/dislike consoles/console gamers.

Why can't you enjoy both? I'm a console gamer/ex PC gamer, but i enjoyed both without bad mouthing on or the other.

I respect both console and PC gamers highly, and i honestly don't see why there always has to be a pointless argument over which is better.

Both platforms have pros and cons, along with excellent games. Some fantastic games are on the PC which are not cross-platform. Some Fantastic games are on the console which are also exclusive.

Thanks for reading, and i hope you do respect this post as a form of ones opinion.
There's usually only a pointless argument when someone brings it up as an apparently obvious problem.

And it's made worse when they say they're the only ones being reasonable about it, and ask them to respect their opinion. As a rule of thumb, if you have to say it, it probably isn't true, and if you're telling people you're being reasonable, you probably aren't.

As a star wars quote to remember this: If one man calls you a Hutt, ignore him. If another calls you a Hutt start to wonder. If a third man calls you a Hutt, buy a drool bucket and start stockpiling spice and frozen smugglers.

rezaDN1992

Jan 27, 2010
Well because they aren't console gamers. It's just like the console wars. You hate what you don't have.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Exactly. the moment PC gaming dies the moment hardware developers die. Nvidia and ATI would die off and that would bode very badly for our economy who rely on the newest PC parts to drive out stock market, etc. It can also drive us into a recession as a whole industry gets carpet bombed with bankruptcies.
PC gaming being hopelessly marginalized, however, is OK. In some aspects it's almost ideal.

PC gaming will attract the more casual pirates, and the more serious pirates won't be stoppable anyways. It'll hold all the problems of the industry, and leave console gaming relatively unscathed. I want us to stick with the status quo. The status quo is loved.

Actually, most hardware developers won't die. Just adapt. They just won't need to release high-end products anymore.

Microsoft, as a software developer, probably won't even notice a huge loss of sales. To them you're an infinitesimally small part of their consumerbase for windows. Interestingly, they stand to gain a LOT from the continued marginalization of PC gaming.

secretsantaone

Mar 9, 2009
PC gamers prefer PCs for a number of reasons:

Mods
Much better graphics
Better control system for most genres
Controller support for other genres
Console emulation
Generally a more mature userbase (due to the user having to have the know how to build a PC or have the disposable income to invest in a prebuilt one)
Steam
Some very nice exclusives (STALKER, Civ, Starcraft etc)
Dedicated servers

Some PC gamers believe that consoles can dumb down games, due both to the younger playerbase and the technical limitations of the machine. For example, with a game like Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the PC could run a 64 player server on a huge map, as with BF2. This simply isn't possible on a multiplat console game, which is why PC gamers are desperately hoping BF3 will be primarily a PC game and have a cut down console port. You could also apply this to the dumbing down of gameplay or story elements. For example, Mass Effect 2 became much less reliant on stats than the first game, which annoyed some PC gamers (personally I loved it).

I do accept that console can do some things better, it's a lot easier and more user-friendly than a PC and I am jealous of some of the excusives but, as objectively as possible, the PC just give you a lot more options and a more optimised experience than consoles.

That said, unprovoked flaming on consoles is just retarded.

Slavik_91

May 2, 2009
I don't hate on console gamers, I hate on companies that make stupid console-only games (yes Microsoft, I'm calling you out on the whole Halo thing)

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Krylock said:
Usually in most threads you come across, full of PC gamers (fanboys, if you will) and Console gamers, it always turns into a gigantic flame war on what is better.
Usually it doesn't unless someone starts by saying "Why are PC gamers full of so much hatred..."

1) Because we aren't.
But you CANNOT deny that the majority of PC gamers are exactly how the OP describes, they outnumber the reasonable PC gamers.

Seriously, take a look here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.255311-XBLA-Organizes-House-Party-With-Torchlight-Beyond-Good-Evil-HD

First person, already bashes consoles simply because they decided to port PC-style RPG over to XBLA.

And trust me when I say that every single time a thread, even in the News section comes up that talks about PCs and consoles, at least ONE person, but usually more, always come out of line and attack consoles/console gamers in some form.

Xzi said:
Super Toast said:
Consoles have simply made gaming more accessible and mainstream.
Translation: dumbed down.
Ok, judging from your first post and this one you are clearly being a troll/immature forum obsessive. I suggest you stop because that behavior is close to warranting probation.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Xzi said:
Super Toast said:
Consoles have simply made gaming more accessible and mainstream.
Translation: dumbed down.
Yeah... that doesn't make any sense I am afraid.

OT: The OP seems to come off too harsh, and is a bit stereotypical as well, and to me some of PC gamers arguments are quite stupid and desperate. Some don't even matter.

Bottom line is it is all about preference, people just can't accept that peoples opinions can vary, and if they don't follow their own they get angry and lash out. I play both PC games and Console games so I get to see the good/bad points of both.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Krylock said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Krylock said:
Usually it doesn't unless someone starts by saying "Why are PC gamers full of so much hatred..."

1) Because we aren't.
2) Because neither are you
3) Because the PC can do somethings better than a console and the console can do things easier than a PC...that's the point of them not fighting for the same market.

I'd suggest you take a quick look back through the history of this forum for every week this topic has come up, and then ask if your initial wording wasn't slightly...aggressive?
This forum does not cover the entire internet.

I have seen literally dozens of flame wars all over different forums, and websites.

This forum is more mature and friendly compared to others, so i brought the intelligent discussion here.
your going to find more PC gamers on the internet than console gamers....why you may ask...well i can type with my keyboard....typeing with a controler is like cutting your hand off. THAT and most console gamers are the typical FPS OMG WTF BBQSAUSE WHY DID YOU MISS/ WHY DO YOU SUCK SO HARD Xbox live trash. ive never had a decent conversation over a console game. But i have over the PC....sooo...and reword the way you say things....looks ALOT like you are trying to start a flame war Mr.OP

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Super Toast said:
Ultratwinkie said:
CITIZEN SNIPS!!!
All of that is true, to a point. But you make it sound as if no-one is making any unique games at all. As I pointed out, that's a load of bull. Just because the average visual quality of games is improving doesn't mean actual game quality has taken a nose-dive. Games are becoming better designed in virtually every respect with each and every year bringing new and interesting things to the table. And that is an undeniable fact.
That is because they require "bigger and better". The same notion behind everything. however you need to concessions on your part as you need to make games simple enough a 5 year old can play otherwise it has a higher chance of failure. Most developers play it safe. It is a business after all.
Try getting a five year old to play Modern Warfare. It will only end in tears, pissed off parents and possibly a broken console. Even the supposedly "simple" games being released today still require a decent amount of gaming experience to play properly. I get what your saying, but having high budget blockbuster games is only a good thing. Both for gamers, and the industry itself. And if you want to escape all that, just play one of the many, many, MANY indie games available on Steam, XBLA and PSN. The fact of the matter is that this is the golden age of gaming. Everyone from casual gamers, to hardcore players, to first-timers have plenty to play and be happy about.

Gill Kaiser

Sep 3, 2008
The fact that most games are now developed multiplatform is artificially tethering PC game development to comparatively ancient hardware.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Chibz said:
Vrach said:
Fair enough mate... just can't really see it, the combination of WASD and a mouse works more than fine for me in literally any game genre, it's literally seamless. I can't say the same for the use of controllers :\
The mouse, for most people, compensates for the maximum catastrophy of ass W-A-S-D is. Personally, I just practiced with controllers and got really, really good using them. Because I'm awesome. And a robot. And possibly a ninja.

... A robot ninja.

But thanks to this thread I have just had the best idea for PC gaming ever. Now I'm off to fulfill my destiny! Excelsior!
Btw there are condensed and different keyboards out there already. Multitudes of them. To the point of it actually making it hard for me to just find one decent fucking keyboard that doesn't have shallow buttons, sleep buttons right over the direction keys or tiny Enters. Oh and there is something else too that I've seen one of my mates use, you might be into it:

According to him, it's absolutely awesome instead of a keyboard.

Robert2812

Jul 28, 2010
Krylock said:

One thing that i always did notice is that the PC gamers are usually the ones to start the whole war. It almost seems like they get enjoyment out of starting pointless arguments and debates. Big deal, you paid nearly 1 grand, maybe more just so you can game with a mouse and a keyboard. Paying more for your gaming situation gives you no excuse to talk down on people who pay less for their gaming set ups (I.e console gamers).

I also see no legitimate reasons being stated as to why they hate console gaming. They just start bringing up the whole "Specs vs Specs" debate, and never state factual statements on why they hate/dislike consoles/console gamers.

Why can't you enjoy both? I'm a console gamer/ex PC gamer, but i enjoyed both without bad mouthing on or the other.

I respect both console and PC gamers highly, and i honestly don't see why there always has to be a pointless argument over which is better.

Both platforms have pros and cons, along with excellent games. Some fantastic games are on the PC which are not cross-platform. Some Fantastic games are on the console which are also exclusive.

Thanks for reading, and i hope you do respect this post as a form of ones opinion.
Well this isnt biased.

Why not write a letter to PC gamers and not send it?

Mar 9, 2010
Assassin Xaero said:
Danceofmasks said:
Consoles are great ... however, console shooters are not.
Aim assistance is the greatest disgrace to have ever been made popular, and I'm counting all the weird stuff from Japan.
Pretty much that. And the majority of 360 players I come across are complete douche bags. Like one guy was arguing with me saying I wasn't up for the challenge of using analog sticks that fail in accuracy compared to a mouse. Plus, because of consoles, a lot of PC games get down-graded or shafted. I do still enjoy consoles, though. Been playing my PS3 a lot lately.
So it's not just the console, it's the generic games and the community that make it bad?

OT: I play on a console, occasionally a PC. The console is far better than a PC for the mainstream because a PC is scary. There are security risks that the majority don't know how to keep themselves safe from; there are the maintenance issues that people see as too problematic and costly to care for; the costs to keep up to date are seen as too high in comparison to a one off payment for a console.

However, for the handful of people who like to play certain games to their highest standard with a usually amazing community, the PC is a superior gaming unit. The limitations are less, certain games are much better on a console than a PC and all the other benefits that every PC gamer in this thread has mentioned.

The point? Y'know what I'll put the point in bold just to make it clear.

The point is that everyone needs to stop being such a **** about what they play their games on. Make your choice, play your games and shut the fuck up about how you're supposedly better.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
The only things that have really changed are the trends. Right now, the big budget game market mostly consists of modern FPS's and cover based shooters. Ten years ago it was platformers and WW2 shooters. Other than that, things are mostly the same. Thanks for this genuinely rational and thought-provoking discussion. Conversations that go on this long usually become flame wars.

TheFPSisDead

Jan 3, 2011
Dude, the PC has superior hardware, the consoles have exclusive titles. Best bet is to own all three.

My ps3 - $300
My 360 - $300
My gaming computer - $2,500

fuck.

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
I like to play games.

I play on Xbox, Wii, Mac OS PCs, Windows PCs, iPhone ... I couldn't care less what the platform is, as long as it's a good game.

Some games are better suited to one platform or another, sure. Outside of that, who cares?

~Cheers!