Why are people buying Skyrim?

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
I probably won't be buying Skyrim unless I hear a good review from Yahtzee, because I honestly just can't stand the Elder Scrolls games, I so tried, a lot, and sank many good hours into Oblivion and Morrowind to just not finish them because the plot (or really lack there of) totally lost my interest which was only exacerbated by bland, lifeless characters. If this game fixes those KEY issues that seem like something that won't go away then I may be down as the world looks nice.

However, I feel my ability to comment here comes from being a Fallout fan (A true one at that, which means I hate 3, and will never play it again now that New Vegas is out. I like the engine, but again whoever writes for Bethesda needs a couple more years of school, or maybe just a bit more imagination). As a Fallout fan, specifically a Black Isle/Obsidian fan I bought the collectors edition of New Vegas knowing that a GOTY (Ultimate I guess now, to me New Vegas was still one of the best games of the year) would come out, which I will now buy for my new PC. Granted this is just convenient now that I have a new PC and need the game for it anyway, but I was still planning on double dipping.

To me, the double dip is about casting my vote. Saying: "Hey, I like what you did there, bringing in the original studio, here is my money for the collectors edition and the game of the year. Good job."

I'm sure some Elder fans will probably say the same.

Now if they just give the next Fallout to Obsidian again and give them the time and money to make their own engine they could probably convince me to triple dip.

Aug 1, 2010
Release date of Fallout 3: October 2008.

Release date of Fallout 3 GOTY: October 2009.

Call me impatient, but waiting an entire year to play an excellent game just to save 20 or 30 bucks seems kind of silly.

Now, if we could expect the GOTY in say, a few months, I would agree. Unfortunately Bethesda isn't known for their speed.

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
Strain42 said:
Now before anyone gets mad or assumes this is some sort of anti-Skyrim thread, it's not. I'm not bashing the game, the developer or anyone who is interested in it.

But let's look at Oblivion and Fallout 3. Both of those games were eventually given expansion packs, and then re-released as a game that contained the original game plus all of the expansion packs. Sometimes these were cheaper than the original game.

So assuming that's going to happen with Skyrim, why buy it now? Is it just a matter of impatience? Do people want to support Bethesda by possibly buying the game twice?

Is there anyone reading this who does just plan on buying it once the Game of the Year edition comes out?

Just curious.
Because I want to play it when it snot released, not wait some godforsaken amount of time for them to finally come out with a GOTY edition..?

It's like saying "Oooh something awesome is coming out next week but I think I'll wait a WHOLE YEAR to get everything at once! ARENT I SMART?!"

Twp weeks later, everyone else is playing it and Mr smarty pants is either regretting the decision or sticking firmly to the belief that this is the best plan they've ever had.
While everyone else is enjoying themselves.

Its not about the cost.
People want to play something they know they'll enjoy.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
For any other game you may have a point, but it's skyrim! Followup to the first rpg I ever played, and likely a massive game in its vanilla state. It's worth the extra cost.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Because the number of greasy little children who will be rubbing their grubby little digits and booger filled faces across my precious love-child of Bethesda artwork is too much to bare. So I must try buy a copy before those little fatherless bastards get to experience such pure greatness before I do!

(Just kidding, I honestly could wait untill the DLC bundle thingy comes out...but then the game would already be announced...and I'd have to shove aside Skyrim as I await the next Bethesda release...)

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Phew, for a minute there I thought this WAS some skyrim bashing thread which would be forum dwelling suicide on here.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
I've never bought DLC. I have bought expansion packs back in the days when they were pretty much entirely new games with slightly shorter campains and the same graphics.

Kind of like Call of Duty sequels nowadays, but cheaper.

All that said, I'm just buying Skyrim for Skyrim. Additions usually don't do it for me. Not for RPGs.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Masochism as far as I can see. Then again, I didn't enjoy any of the Elder Scrolls games. They be terrible, imo.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Because by the time the GOTY edition rolls around I don't know if I would still be playing SKyrim that much. I have time now, so that's where I want to spend it, for now.

I might not touch my Xbox later on.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Yeah, pretty much just impaitience.

Besides, yes it was always Bethesda's fault for leaving all those bugs in their other games, but to be honest the only reason they were there in the first place was because of the Gamebryo engine, the piece of shit it was.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
You realize that people have to buy the game for the publishers to be willing to put out those specials, right?

Also, let's take that argument to the logical extreme... why would you buy it now if it'll be legal abandonware in ten to twenty five years? You can wait, can't you?

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Silly trollbait thread is silly. If it wasn't your intention, why the fuck did you name it this? If you have to begin your thread with a disclaimer that it's not just another thread of fan-hate whining, maybe you should consider changing the title to something that doesn't immediately evoke that idea?

People are buying Skyrim because they want to play it - the same reason anyone ever buys something new at a higher price than it will be in the future. Whatever savings will accumulate are not worth waiting however long it will take for the savings to arrive. I'm also unsure what you mean about buying two copies - if you buy a game before the expansion packs come out, you typically don't buy a second copy with the packs bundled in, you just buy the packs...

The TL;DR version is probably that the price difference is pretty inconsequential. We're talking about a few dozen bucks to not wait around a year.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
I'ma pick the game up on 360 on release day, and then buy the GOTY version for PC. If anyone deserves my money lately, it's devs like Bethesda that put real effort into the details.

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
Because I work full time, and it's fabulous being able to afford it on day one! In fact I have totally taken Friday and Monday off to play it.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Because this will be the first Bethesda game I could of actually bought on launch, and two it's the first Bethesda game launch I have actually been around for after I fell in love with Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I got Oblivion and FO3 about 2 years after launch btw.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Most games does that these days, and I can't be arsed to wait 1-2 years to play it.
Besides, if I want the DLC I'll buy that bundle once it goes really cheap. Generally avoid DLC however.