Why are people treating James Gunn as if he is some "talented director"?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Antonio Torrente said:
I had a decent childhood when I was a kid. I am 90s kid I had the DC Cartoons like Batman, Superman, and Justice League aswell as the 90s Marvel Cartoons, Cartoon Network and Nickalodeon's classics (Oh man you have no idea how much I dislike current cartoons right now) and freakin Toonami I grew up with movies like Hook, Disney Animated Renissance, Raimi Spiderman, etc. etc.

My love of the "Standard Fantasy" genre came from me playing Ocarina of Time and Warcraft 3 and watching Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movies. Also there was a time I actually LIKED the Star Wars Prequals, mostly because of Genddy Tartakovsk's Clone Wars series. I liked alot of movies that people "hated" because I did not know any better, I had fun watching them. (Probably thanks to my lack of visiting the internet because I did not have my own computer)

Now the whole Marvel thing. I was not against Marvel at all back then especially these movies and remember that these movies came out before Man of Steel and My favorite Marvel hero of all is Hulk. When I first saw the Avengers I was hyped. I felt excited. But then during certain moments, something clicked when I first watched. Portions of the Comedy I did not find funny at all. That scene one where Hulk just randomly punched Thor for no reason did not get a laugh from me, but everyone in my theater roared with laughter. I was like "Why did you punch him? Yeah you 2 had a fight on the ship, but was that really necessary?"

Then I watched Iron Man 3 and was even more annoyed. GOTG I wathched mostly because I wanted to see Thanos which I thought he was getting a big role in that movie, And then the movie went on and I ended up with a boring villain and "clowns" of characters that imo are not interesting ( perticularly Star Lord and the Raccoon) and the movie's in your face 1980s references annoyed me more because I am NOT a person of the 80s. I am like "Oh look a Greenskined/Pinked Skinned person like in those Star Trek movies/shows" Oh look reference to other Sci Fi stuff from the 80s." And oh my goodness the jokes and the funny thing is I kinda smiled at some of them (The "Oooh Yeah") but then it got worse to the point of Cornyness and the epitome was Star Lord fucking Dancing. I facepalmed so hard at that scene. Oh and Groot IN THIS movie completely ripped-off The Iron Giant and when Groot "died" I fucking called it, I knew he was going to die in the exact sameway as Iron Giant (Because Vin Diesal voiced both characters) you can't make lightning strike twice!!! Groot's death is no where near as heartbreaking as the Iron Giant. And of course Groot came back to life.

Then Age of Ultron came and the villain completely ruined the movie for me, I never read the comic book, but I KNOW Ultron was never like how he was in the movie. Spoony summed him up perfectly "He was a Joss Wheadon villain."

My problem with most of Marvel movies is that I just cannot take them seriously anymore. I feel they are leaning too much on humor, on jokes, on being witty and colorful that it forget to have a sense of seriousness and drama and tension for me to care about the characters. Raimi Spiderman may have colorfulness and humor but it also had moments like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU69hldyq7U

And the fandom of these Modern Marvel movies are certainly not helping, the first 2 minutes of this video sums up how I feel about this and Modern Marvel movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP4StBAR6sA

Now onto what I think of DC comics but that is for another another post because this one is too long at this point.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
@Antonio Torrente

Now onto DC. As I grew to how I am now I started to ended up liking DC more then Marvel. When I first visted the website Comixology I bought a bunch of the best DC comic books, perticularly those from Alan Moore. Along with Classics such as Kingdom Come and others. I liked how these Comic Books were very "Mature" and more for an Older Audiance and I see potential in it. They made the Vertigo Imprint for goodness sake and V for Vendetta came out of it.

And the DCAU NOTHING like these Modern Marvel movies in terms of tone. Even Teen Titans despite the humor it does have it still has those Dark and Serious moments like Robin's obssession with Slade, Cyborg's story arc with Brotherblood, and Raven oh man, This show had the BALLS to actually show litirally Armageddon/Hell on Earth in a "Kids" show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_cELuKKYog

Then Man of Steel came. When I watched I did not had these "Anti Modern Marvel" stuff in iy head yet. Movie had its flaws but it also had its good moments. The best one of all in that movie was the characterization of Zod. He was the best part of the movie and a compelling villain, this scene sums him up best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WYgu6Xa-_U

Eat shit Ultron, Loki, and yes Jesse's Luthor this is how you make a Villain.

But then I saw the very mixed reception to it. And that is when it started because I am like "Really? This is a bad movie? I have seen Superman stories WORSE then this" Case in point Superman At Earth's End.

In the end I just prefer DC over Marvel movies because they have Balls, they have an Edge, and I don't view the characters has "jokesters" Compared to the now safe, "Disnifyed" no risk movies. Yes Batman v Superman was mess I knew it was going to be one when they revelaed Wonder Woman and the title Dawn of Justice (Wonder Woman movie I am excited for) I just wathched the action I said to myself in the years leading up to it.

Marvel so far the only reason I am still watching it is because of Thanos. Thanos looks like a badass villain and I HOPE they do him justice and not end up making him like Ultron.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
I had a decent childhood when I was a kid. I am 90s kid I had the DC Cartoons like Batman, Superman, and Justice League aswell as the 90s Marvel Cartoons, Cartoon Network and Nickalodeon's classics (Oh man you have no idea how much I dislike current cartoons right now) and freakin Toonami I grew up with movies like Hook, Disney Animated Renissance, Raimi Spiderman, etc. etc.

My love of the "Standard Fantasy" genre came from me playing Ocarina of Time and Warcraft 3 and watching Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movies. Also there was a time I actually LIKED the Star Wars Prequals, mostly because of Genddy Tartakovsk's Clone Wars series. I liked alot of movies that people "hated" because I did not know any better, I had fun watching them. (Probably thanks to my lack of visiting the internet because I did not have my own computer)

Now the whole Marvel thing. I was not against Marvel at all back then especially these movies and remember that these movies came out before Man of Steel and My favorite Marvel hero of all is Hulk. When I first saw the Avengers I was hyped. I felt excited. But then during certain moments, something clicked when I first watched. Portions of the Comedy I did not find funny at all. That scene one where Hulk just randomly punched Thor for no reason did not get a laugh from me, but everyone in my theater roared with laughter. I was like "Why did you punch him? Yeah you 2 had a fight on the ship, but was that really necessary?"

Then I watched Iron Man 3 and was even more annoyed. GOTG I wathched mostly because I wanted to see Thanos which I thought he was getting a big role in that movie, And then the movie went on and I ended up with a boring villain and "clowns" of characters that imo are not interesting ( perticularly Star Lord and the Raccoon) and the movie's in your face 1980s references annoyed me more because I am NOT a person of the 80s. I am like "Oh look a Greenskined/Pinked Skinned person like in those Star Trek movies/shows" Oh look reference to other Sci Fi stuff from the 80s." And oh my goodness the jokes and the funny thing is I kinda smiled at some of them (The "Oooh Yeah") but then it got worse to the point of Cornyness and the epitome was Star Lord fucking Dancing. I facepalmed so hard at that scene. Oh and Groot IN THIS movie completely ripped-off The Iron Giant and when Groot "died" I fucking called it, I knew he was going to die in the exact sameway as Iron Giant (Because Vin Diesal voiced both characters) you can't make lightning strike twice!!! Groot's death is no where near as heartbreaking as the Iron Giant. And of course Groot came back to life.

Then Age of Ultron came and the villain completely ruined the movie for me, I never read the comic book, but I KNOW Ultron was never like how he was in the movie. Spoony summed him up perfectly "He was a Joss Wheadon villain."

My problem with most of Marvel movies is that I just cannot take them seriously anymore. I feel they are leaning too much on humor, on jokes, on being witty and colorful that it forget to have a sense of seriousness and drama and tension for me to care about the characters. Raimi Spiderman may have colorfulness and humor but it also had moments like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU69hldyq7U

And the fandom of these Modern Marvel movies are certainly not helping, the first 2 minutes of this video sums up how I feel about this and Modern Marvel movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP4StBAR6sA

Now onto what I think of DC comics but that is for another another post because this one is too long at this point.
I don't want to say that you're watching the movies wrong but I do think you should lighten up a bit. I get the complaint that Marvel can be too jokey but I think you're taking these movies too seriously. GotG isn't meant to be a gritty space drama, it's an action comedy, and I don't know why you would expect anything else from it.

As for Ultron, you have to realize that the MCU isn't pulling directly from the comics. In the comics Hank Pym created Ultron but because Pym wasn't in the movies at that point they switched his role with Tony. And since Tony was Ultron's "father", Ultron had a bit more of Tony's personality than his comic counterpart.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
@Antonio Torrente

Now onto DC. As I grew to how I am now I started to ended up liking DC more then Marvel. When I first visted the website Comixology I bought a bunch of the best DC comic books, perticularly those from Alan Moore. Along with Classics such as Kingdom Come and others. I liked how these Comic Books were very "Mature" and more for an Older Audiance and I see potential in it. They made the Vertigo Imprint for goodness sake and V for Vendetta came out of it.

And the DCAU NOTHING like these Modern Marvel movies in terms of tone. Even Teen Titans despite the humor it does have it still has those Dark and Serious moments like Robin's obssession with Slade, Cyborg's story arc with Brotherblood, and Raven oh man, This show had the BALLS to actually show litirally Armageddon/Hell on Earth in a "Kids" show:

Then Man of Steel came. When I watched I did not had these "Anti Modern Marvel" stuff in iy head yet. Movie had its flaws but it also had its good moments. The best one of all in that movie was the characterization of Zod. He was the best part of the movie and a compelling villain, this scene sums him up best:

But then I saw the very mixed reception to it. And that is when it started because I am like "Really? This is a bad movie? I have seen Superman stories WORSE then this" Case in point Superman At Earth's End.

In the end I just prefer DC over Marvel movies because they have Balls, they have an Edge, and I don't view the characters has "jokesters" Compared to the now safe, "Disnifyed" no risk movies. Yes Batman v Superman was mess I knew it was going to be one when they revelaed Wonder Woman and the title Dawn of Justice (Wonder Woman movie I am excited for) I just wathched the action I said to myself in the years leading up to it.

Marvel so far the only reason I am still watching it is because of Thanos. Thanos looks like a badass villain and I HOPE they do him justice and not end up making him like Ultron.
I'm sorry but to say that DCCU is better because it has "edge" and "balls" is hilarious to me because from what I can tell that's ALL they have. They certainly don't have good writing or good direction. They could, if they booted David S. Goyer and Zack Snyder and actually took their time to organically grow the story towards the Justice League instead of shoving every important story and character into one movie to set up an entire universe. They fucked up by trying to catch up with Marvel and it's plain as day.

Also? It's ridiculous to keep watching something for one character. I'm not going to sit and watch the next Batman movie and wonder when Clayface is gonna show up. I doubt Thanos will be doing anything interesting until Infinity Wars Part 1 & 2 so maybe just wait and watch those?

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
ThreeName said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Like as if he was the next Quintin Tarantino
Ironically, both directors who have made exactly one good movie each. Amazing. It's like poetry, it rhymes.
Genuinely curious which one is the good one? With no interest in aruging. Pulp Fiction?

As the years go on I'm starting to think that Jackie Brown is criminally underrated.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I think Gunn is better than Snyder. While Nolan isn't bad, I don't think he's as good as people make him out to be.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
@Antonio Torrente

I'm sorry,but Zod was just as generic of a bad guy as any of the marvel villains.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
elvor0 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
elvor0 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
1. The Hobbit movies awesome and at times it was extremely faithful to the source I mean the first scene when Bilbo first made Gandalf was straight right out of the books.
If that isn't an april fools, them's fighting words.

"at times it was faithful" Yeah...maybe just that first scene. Hyperbole aside, The Hobbit movies were a horrendous cacophony of bloat, poor cgi, misguided alterations, frivolous side plots, anachronistic bollocks, false tension, tiring action sequences and style over substance movie making stretched over 9 draining hours.

The Hobbit movies are literally Jacksons Lucas Prequels, upto and including the crummy love plot.
1. Bloat that was referenced in the bigger Tolkein universe. With the obvious exception of that Elf chick.

2. Poor CGI? POOR CGI!!! The Dwarves Beards is were CGI'd and I was completely fooled into thinking they were real. And Peter Jackson makes CGI better then most production companies WETA digital > ILM.

3. Frivilous Side Plots, again stuff that was in Tolkein's bigger universe.

4. Anachronistic Bollocks. I have no idea what Anachronisitc means.

5. False Tension...... Next Question.

6. Tiring Action Sequences, then you must be easily bored because I found the action excitiing and badass. Seeing Thorin charging towards in Army of Orcs saying "DU BEKAR!!!" Always gets me :)

7. Oh and people can sit through watching the extended cut of Lord of the Rings without getting Tired? At least this movie did not have boring scenes like Treebeard.

And how dare you compare this to George Lucas. The acting in this movie in perticular blows the Prequals out of the water.
1. Some of it was, most of it wasn't. And even with the events that are written by Tolkien, they still make the films bloated, /especially/ when paired with a load of stuff that never happened, even in ancillary material. Most of the stuff with the necromancer is completely reshuffled and redistributed thus making the wizards look dense as fuck and Galadriel unfeasible powerful.

The Hobbit is a very tightly paced book, clocking in at a mere 300 pages, its a book I would recommend everyone should read in their life because its more or less flawless. Attempting to suddenly cram all this extra bollocks that most of the time doesn't mesh well or outright screws with itself totally ruins the pacing and narrative structure.

2. Poor CGI in that it all feels weightless and green screeny as hell,. Fuck this scene in particular(excuse the sound). This scene actually offends me it's so bad.

Ian McKellan actually wept at the appalling amount of Green Screen present in The Hobbit.

3.No, there was no side plot with discount Griemar Wormtongue in Lake town, nor all that stuff with Bard, nor with Keili and the Elf Chick. Nor with Legolas beyond him /maybe/ having been present in the Elven Kings hall. Nor with the Dwarves splitting up in Laketown, nor with dying Keili and Kingsfoil, nor with Beorn chasing them through the woods, which makes the next scene not make sense, Nor with that stupid chase through the mines with video game set pieces from Smaug, Nor with the Orcs, nor with Azog, which leads me on to my next point....

4.Anachronistic Bollocks: In the wrong time. Azog should be dead, having had his head removed by D?in in the battle Thorin is wrongly depicted as having removed his arm. Legolas just warps the space time continnium

5, 6. The tension is false, because the orcs are constantly persuing them, yet nothing EVER comes of it, thus causing tiresome action sequences, with people CONSTANTLY being fucking saved at the last second, again removing tension. It's bad cinematography with no pay off to most of the action sequences.All that bollocks with Discount Wormtongue and Bard is a complete waste of time despite its attempts to provide tension because nothing happens as a result.

The action sequences just go on and on and on, with poor cinematography, boring fight choreography, inconsistent choreography, where some moments is grounded, and then suddenly turns into anime physics and back again. There's more to action scenes than just lobbing explosive chaotic messes around and calling it entertainment. The CGI armies, while necessary, bleed into each other constantly. Rather than being a part of the scene, they just exist and not enough effort was made to breath life into them, nor differentiate them properly from each other.

7. Yeah, I can watch the LOTR extended cut because I find it engaging, but not The Hobbit. Whats your point?

EDIT: Watch out for the edits.
Oh and Lord of the Rings had such brilliant choreography:

https://youtu.be/kyevhryWKHk?t=79

CGI has been a huge improvement from the CGI of some of the CGI of Lord of the Rings, I mean have you seen the Wargs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3GFYKIwJ9Y

And your upset about Legolas running on rocks? Where were you when Legolas singlehandedly killed an elephant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDVnl2-_66E
What your point here? The choreography is fine in that cave troll scene as far as I'm concerned. You need to give me more than just sarcastically dump a video on me. Whats wrong with that scene? And how does it effect The Hobbit?

CGI fidelity =/= good CGI. You're arguing a completely different thing to what I'm actually talking about. I already explained that I'm talking about the choreography of the cgi, NOT the fidelity. There's far too much CGI, most of it weightless, way too obviously green screeny and at times becomes messy and poorly displayed and communicated, such as in the battle of the five armies...battle of the five armies.

Yeah, and I thought Legolas killing the olliphant was fucking stupid too. I have issues with the LOTR trilogy too, but they are nowhere near as glaring, apparent or harmful to the movie as they are in The Hobbit, even if I did have massive issues with LOTR, they don't invalidate the issues with The Hobbit.
Samtemdo8 said:

A bombed out city? ooh, ballsy. No kids cartoon has ever showcased THAT before. I think Hell on earth is a bit of an overstatement for that scene too. It's just bombed out buildings. You'd have to have watched zero decent super hero cartoons before to think that was ballsy. Heck, even Adventure Time has the Nightosphere, which is considerably more hellish than that scene.

Samtemdo8 said:
So what? At Earths End existing doesn't effect how good or bad MoS is. That's a very, very, very shakey argument.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
elvor0 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
elvor0 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
elvor0 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
1. The Hobbit movies awesome and at times it was extremely faithful to the source I mean the first scene when Bilbo first made Gandalf was straight right out of the books.

"at times it was faithful" Yeah...maybe just that first scene. Hyperbole aside, The Hobbit movies were a horrendous cacophony of bloat, poor cgi, misguided alterations, frivolous side plots, anachronistic bollocks, false tension, tiring action sequences and style over substance movie making stretched over 9 draining hours.

The Hobbit movies are literally Jacksons Lucas Prequels, upto and including the crummy love plot.
1. Bloat that was referenced in the bigger Tolkein universe. With the obvious exception of that Elf chick.

2. Poor CGI? POOR CGI!!! The Dwarves Beards is were CGI'd and I was completely fooled into thinking they were real. And Peter Jackson makes CGI better then most production companies WETA digital > ILM.

6. Tiring Action Sequences, then you must be easily bored because I found the action excitiing and badass. Seeing Thorin charging towards in Army of Orcs saying "DU BEKAR!!!" Always gets me :)

7. Oh and people can sit through watching the extended cut of Lord of the Rings without getting Tired? At least this movie did not have boring scenes like Treebeard.

And how dare you compare this to George Lucas. The acting in this movie in perticular blows the Prequals out of the water.
1. Some of it was, most of it wasn't. And even with the events that are written by Tolkien, they still make the films bloated, /especially/ when paired with a load of stuff that never happened, even in ancillary material. Most of the stuff with the necromancer is completely reshuffled and redistributed thus making the wizards look dense as fuck and Galadriel unfeasible powerful.

The Hobbit is a very tightly paced book, clocking in at a mere 300 pages, its a book I would recommend everyone should read in their life because its more or less flawless. Attempting to suddenly cram all this extra bollocks that most of the time doesn't mesh well or outright screws with itself totally ruins the pacing and narrative structure.

2. Poor CGI in that it all feels weightless and green screeny as hell,. Fuck this scene in particular(excuse the sound). This scene actually offends me it's so bad.

Ian McKellan actually wept at the appalling amount of Green Screen present in The Hobbit.

3.No, there was no side plot with discount Griemar Wormtongue in Lake town, nor all that stuff with Bard, nor with Keili and the Elf Chick. Nor with Legolas beyond him /maybe/ having been present in the Elven Kings hall. Nor with the Dwarves splitting up in Laketown, nor with dying Keili and Kingsfoil, nor with Beorn chasing them through the woods, which makes the next scene not make sense, Nor with that stupid chase through the mines with video game set pieces from Smaug, Nor with the Orcs, nor with Azog, which leads me on to my next point....

4.Anachronistic Bollocks: In the wrong time. Azog should be dead, having had his head removed by D?in in the battle Thorin is wrongly depicted as having removed his arm. Legolas just warps the space time continnium

5, 6. The tension is false, because the orcs are constantly persuing them, yet nothing EVER comes of it, thus causing tiresome action sequences, with people CONSTANTLY being fucking saved at the last second, again removing tension. It's bad cinematography with no pay off to most of the action sequences.All that bollocks with Discount Wormtongue and Bard is a complete waste of time despite its attempts to provide tension because nothing happens as a result.

The action sequences just go on and on and on, with poor cinematography, boring fight choreography, inconsistent choreography, where some moments is grounded, and then suddenly turns into anime physics and back again. There's more to action scenes than just lobbing explosive chaotic messes around and calling it entertainment. The CGI armies, while necessary, bleed into each other constantly. Rather than being a part of the scene, they just exist and not enough effort was made to breath life into them, nor differentiate them properly from each other.

7. Yeah, I can watch the LOTR extended cut because I find it engaging, but not The Hobbit. Whats your point?

CGI has been a huge improvement from the CGI of some of the CGI of Lord of the Rings, I mean have you seen the Wargs?

And your upset about Legolas running on rocks? Where were you when Legolas singlehandedly killed an elephant:

What your point here? The choreography is fine in that cave troll scene as far as I'm concerned. You need to give me more than just sarcastically dump a video on me. Whats wrong with that scene?

CGI fidelity =/= good CGI. You're arguing a completely different thing to what I'm actually talking about. I already explained that I'm talking about the choreography of the cgi, NOT the fidelity. There's far too much CGI, most of it weightless, way too obviously green screeny and at times becomes messy and poorly displayed and communicated, such as in the battle of the five armies...battle of the five armies.

Yeah, and I thought Legolas killing the olliphant was fucking stupid too. I have issues with the LOTR trilogy too, but they are nowhere near as glaring, apparent or harmful to the movie as they are in The Hobbit, even if I did have massive issues with LOTR, they don't invalidate the issues with The Hobbit.
Samtemdo8 said:

A bombed out city? ooh, ballsy. No kids cartoon has ever showcased THAT before. I think Hell on earth is a bit of an overstatement for that scene too. It's just bombed out buildings. You'd have to have watched zero decent super hero cartoons before to think that was ballsy. Heck, even Adventure Time has the Nightosphere, which is considerably more hellish than that scene.

Samtemdo8 said:
So what? At Earths End existing doesn't effect how good or bad MoS is. That's a very, very, very shakey argument.
Did you even watched Teen Titans?!

The people in the city were turned to stone. Litiral Demons were all over the place. Slade was actually a living skeleton because he fell in lava but then was revived by practically the Devil.

And really Adventure Time? Why do I get the feeling that is all YOU watched from Modern Cartoons, I mean hey you accussed me of not watching any decent Superhero stuff :p

Also to say I did not watched Decent Superhero movies is absurd. since I watched nearly ever modern Superhero movie in theaters when Raimi Spiderman began. And I watcehd Old Movies like Superman 1978-79.

The Superman bit is merely my opinion because I myself have seen WORSE Superman things then Man of Steel.

Anyway regarding CGI, I am not to Bothered by CGI at all I have seen many movies with heavy use of CGI. I am not one of these people that laments the days of Practical Effects and real sets. And I feel the CGI artist wokred really hard to make it look as realistic as Possible.

And its not the fight against the Troll but the close up fights with the Goblin/Orcs comming out of the door I found the camamra work very shaky and unclear and I barely tell if they are hitting anything. The same goes for that one scene in the Battle of Helm's Deep where during the Orcs were on top of the Wall the camara work was all shaky and unclear.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
WonkyWarmaiden said:
Samtemdo8 said:
@Antonio Torrente

I'm sorry but to say that DCCU is better because it has "edge" and "balls" is hilarious to me because from what I can tell that's ALL they have. They certainly don't have good writing or good direction. They could, if they booted David S. Goyer and Zack Snyder and actually took their time to organically grow the story towards the Justice League instead of shoving every important story and character into one movie to set up an entire universe. They fucked up by trying to catch up with Marvel and it's plain as day.

Also? It's ridiculous to keep watching something for one character. I'm not going to sit and watch the next Batman movie and wonder when Clayface is gonna show up. I doubt Thanos will be doing anything interesting until Infinity Wars Part 1 & 2 so maybe just wait and watch those?
Well I am gonna watche Captain America. When I was criticizing the Marvel movies I have not said anything bad about the Captain. He is the only one so far that is making the better movies out of the Marvel movies. So I am gonna watch Civil War, but I am worried about that movie becasue I think it may suffer the same problems as BvS. I mean not only they are trying to develop the conflict between Cap and Iron Man, but they also have to set up and establish Black Panther and Spiderman.

Also I lamment the lack of any Hulk movies because Hulk has not had a new movie since 2008 and he is my favorite hero of the bunch.

And again I mentioned before that BvS is a mess and I knew it would be, I am just waiting for the next movies after it losses its relevence because I know we will stop talking about it eventually.

And its not just these Movies, I am also excited for whatever future Animated Moive DC will make after the Killing Joke movie which is rated R, and remember that it was announced to be rated R BEFORE Deadpool was even released.

And oh man I cannot wait to see Mark Hamill play the Joker in THIS Story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0xMwu1VhcI

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
elvor0 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
elvor0 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
elvor0 said:
Samtemdo8 said:

What your point here? The choreography is fine in that cave troll scene as far as I'm concerned. You need to give me more than just sarcastically dump a video on me. Whats wrong with that scene?

Samtemdo8 said:

Samtemdo8 said:

The people in the city were turned to stone. Litiral Demons were all over the place. Slade was actually a living skeleton because he fell in lava but then was revived by practically the Devil.

And really Adventure Time? Why do I get the feeling that is all YOU watched from Modern Cartoons, I mean hey you accussed me of not watching any decent Superhero stuff :p

Also to say I did not watched Decent Superhero movies is absurd. since I watched nearly ever modern Superhero movie in theaters when Raimi Spiderman began. And I watcehd Old Movies like Superman 1978-79.

The Superman bit is merely my opinion because I myself have seen WORSE Superman things then Man of Steel.

Anyway regarding CGI, I am not to Bothered by CGI at all I have seen many movies with heavy use of CGI. I am not one of these people that laments the days of Practical Effects and real sets. And I feel the CGI artist wokred really hard to make it look as realistic as Possible.

And its not the fight against the Troll but the close up fights with the Goblin/Orcs comming out of the door I found the camamra work very shaky and unclear and I barely tell if they are hitting anything. The same goes for that one scene in the Battle of Helm's Deep where during the Orcs were on top of the Wall the camara work was all shaky and unclear.
No, I haven't watched Teen Titans. Even then, so what? It's still not ballsy which was my point, because its been done before. I said cartoons. Not movies. We're talking about kids cartoons remember? Try and stay focused here. Superman 78, while a good movie, has nothing to do with this.

No...I am quite, quite well versed in superhero cartoons. Which is why I stated that TT having a bombed out city wasn't ballsy because it's been done before. If I hadn't watched old stuff, how would I know its been done before, hm? Mentioning Adventure Time doesn't invalidate that, watching modern and old kids cartoons are not mutually exclusive, nor does it change the fact that the depiction of hellscapes in a kids cartoon hasn't been ballsy since at least the 80s and very early 90s.

I accused you of not having watched superhero cartoons before, because if you had, it would be unlikely that you'd think TT was being ballsy, because then you'd know its BEEN DONE BEFORE, many times.

Again, a piece of media being worse than another does not invalidate the flaws in the other. This is a completely pointless line of argument.

Personally I find the cinematography perfectly serviceable in that scene in Moria due to its simplicity, but we'll have to agree to disagree there.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Antonio Torrente said:
Samtemdo8 said:
"Edge", "Mature", "Balls"
Words that I really despise right now but hey if that's what you like then good for you.
Humor, Colorful, and "Fun" is what I really despise right now when it comes to Superheroes.

I prefer Batman the Animated Series over Adam West Batman.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
elvor0 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
elvor0 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
elvor0 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
elvor0 said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Samtemdo8 said:

Samtemdo8 said:

No, I haven't watched Teen Titans. Even then, so what? It's still not ballsy which was my point, because its been done before. I said cartoons. Not movies. We're talking about kids cartoons remember? Try and stay focused here. Superman 78, while a good movie, has nothing to do with this.

No...I am quite, quite well versed in superhero cartoons. Which is why I stated that TT having a bombed out city wasn't ballsy because it's been done before. If I hadn't watched old stuff, how would I know its been done before, hm? Mentioning Adventure Time doesn't invalidate that, watching modern and old kids cartoons are not mutually exclusive, nor does it change the fact that the depiction of hellscapes in a kids cartoon hasn't been ballsy since at least the 80s and very early 90s.

I accused you of not having watched superhero cartoons before, because if you had, it would be unlikely that you'd think TT was being ballsy, because then you'd know its BEEN DONE BEFORE, many times.
Oh man you are completely missing out on Teen Titans it is brilliant as a Superhero show. Much better then the insipid Teen Titans Go remake.

I mean look at these parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao9Wz1s67d0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZvWgMU52k0

Anyway it was not a Bombed Out City but litarally the entire world looked like that, but regardless Teen Titans was the first time I have seen that being done seriously. But of course Darkseid's invasion of Earth in the Superman Animated Series is more or less similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0pcChyV6o4

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
What a bizarre, peculiar, and slightly snide thread title... Who's "people"? Why is "talented director" in quote marks? Isn't the thread title and the first post really just 'Why do people have opinions!!!'? To which the answer is: because people have opinions... If the thread was called 'Why did some guy on some podcast call James Gunn talented?', the answer would be 'Because that guy has an opinion which is apparently different to yours'. There, mystery solved. You're welcome.

Also, is there some kind of official labeling system for artists, now? 'X is talented' where 'Y is untalented', and 'Z is slightly talented by not that talented'? I want to see this probably official - and, one presumes, objective - ranking system of creative types...

James Gunn made some stuff I liked, and made some stuff I didn't like (okay, I kinda loathed Super), and I can say the same about---- erm, probably literally every other artist ever, in any medium?

I've not seen it mentioned yet (to be fair I've not read every post in this thread, because my brain would probably start to melt), but another thing Gunn has a credit on is Lollipop Chainsaw, and I frikkin' loved that game, particularly for its script. It was a wonderfully anarchic creation, yet it had a throughline of real humane wit and soul, and it was deceptively clever. I also greatly admired how it wandered/staggered/twitched back and forth between feminist subversion and exploitative sexism, and to this day I'm not entirely sure what was carefully planned about that and what was just indulgent, dopey happenstance. It had an endearing innocence about the whole thing. Plus, being a huge Buffy and Whedon fan, a blonde valleygirl cheerleader fighting the undead in highschool had its nostalgia-by-osmosis Season 1 appeal.

As for Guardians? I really enjoyed it, and still think it's one of the MCU's best. But I was a little disappointed at just how formulaic and--- well, normal it was. Sure, there was Rocket and Groot, but overall the whole aesthetic was too conventional relative to the potentially bizarre things they could've played with. Aside from that, it's always a fun film to keep rewatching, so it has it where it counts - heart, humour, and a good script delivered by finely cast actors. See also: superb art design and CG. Okay, so it had a lot of good 'where it counts'... which makes it feel churlish to have wanted more.

I obviously look forward to Guardians 2, and it'll be interesting to see if he gets even greater say on the tone and content. Guillermo Del Toro clearly had more or less free reign on Hellboy 2, and despite that being a gorgeous film (always to look at, but sometimes emotionally, too, e.g. Nuada and Nuala) I feel a better, more balanced film with regards to plot and character could've been made had the studio dialed the De Toro back from 11 down to 9 or 10.

I suppose Gunn isn't quite the visual and stylistic auteur Del Toro is, though, so perhaps Gunn having free reign on the script, in particular, will benefit Guardians 2 as opposed to make it seem too indulgent.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
So now he's treated as some superstar director because he made one blockbuster hit movie?
No, he's treated as some superstar director because the concept for Guardians of the Galaxy was a combination of hubris and experimentation ("I bet there's no property we couldn't slap our name on and make a kajillion dollars," boasted some guy at Marvel), and what came out was charming, successful, and well-received by fans and converts alike. It has the unmistakable stamp of his directorial voice on it, as do Slither and Super, which are also enjoyable films.

Samtemdo8, I don't pay much attention to these forums. I don't even go to the forum hub any more; I only speak up if I want to comment on an article I just read or if a thread with a title I care about pops up in that little box of most recent forum content. That is an extremely small window of material to view, and even so, I already knew you hate Guardians of the Galaxy for being fun, which suggests to me you talk about it at every single opportunity. Please permit me to suggest that your point has been made and you have convinced as many people as you are ever going to that they are wrong to enjoy movies you don't. It is okay for you to let it go and quit permitting your hate to dominate your conversation here.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
ThreeName said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
is now treated like the next Christopher Nolan?
Ironically, both directors who have made exactly one good movie each. Amazing. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

May I ask which ones?
I mean I know I already disagree with you on Tarantino because I thought Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill 1 & 2 were all very good movies, but I am curious, I don't care for Nolan though, he has very good techniques but I hated the Batman trilogy, I barely remember the Machinist and liked but not loved Inception, I also never watched Memento or Interstellar.

As for the topic of the thread, well I'm just repeating what everyone said but he directed 3 movies that were well received, means he has some talent, that's about it really, I mean I'm exited about Warcraft and Duncan Jones only has Moon (Which was Amazing) and Source Code (Pretty Good) to his name, so yeah that's how it works, he showed talent on Moon so I think he has talent and I want to see what he does next, same thing with Gunn, I liked Slither, Super and Guardians, so his career seems promising,

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kaleion said:
ThreeName said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
is now treated like the next Christopher Nolan?

May I ask which ones?
I mean I know I already disagree with you on Tarantino because I thought Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill 1 & 2 were all very good movies, but I am curious, I don't care for Nolan though, he has very good techniques but I hated the Batman trilogy, I barely remember the Machinist and liked but not loved Inception, I also never watched Memento or Interstellar.

As for the topic of the thread, well I'm just repeating what everyone said but he directed 3 movies that were well received, means he has some talent, that's about it really, I mean I'm exited about Warcraft and Duncan Jones only has Moon (Which was Amazing) and Source Code (Pretty Good) to his name, so yeah that's how it works, he showed talent on Moon so I think he has talent and I want to see what he does next, same thing with Gunn, I liked Slither, Super and Guardians, so his career seems promising,
1. I am super excited about the Warcraft movie aswell. There are only a few things I worry about which is I worry about some of the actors like the guy who plays the King of Stormwind, and the movie so far is not selling me with its soundtrack. It needs to have the World of Wacraft Orchestral score we love. I mean if the movie's version of Stormwind City does not have this opening track I will be pissed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUA1B3A1ZnY

2. Well I could say the same to Zack Snyder, he made 300 and Watchmen and I like them both ALOT so I feel he has talent aswell ;)

Or Francis Ford Coppola, he wrote for Patton, and he made Godfather, Coversation, Apocalypse Now, and Bram Stoker's Dracula, so he has talent its not like he made a bad movie.....oh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHaFdSx26WM

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Antonio Torrente said:
Samtemdo8 said:
"Edge", "Mature", "Balls"
Words that I really despise right now but hey if that's what you like then good for you.
Humor, Colorful, and "Fun" is what I really despise right now when it comes to Superheroes.

I prefer Batman the Animated Series over Adam West Batman.
Please don't compare Batman: The Animated Series to what DC is currently doing with their movies, it's an insult to that cartoon. B: TAS is well rounded, it has funny parts, dramatic parts and everything in between. Like a good story should. If DC was doing that with their movies I would be fully on board but they aren't. Instead they're making all of their heroes growly emo douchebags and that isn't entertaining in the slightest.