Why are Rockstar games rated so highly by reviewers?

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
I'm not having trouble. RDR is actually way too easy, ...
Doesn`t change that you`re troubled with things others aren`t bothered with and if you`re such a good shot and the map makes it to easy you could have turned it off.

I`m pretty sure MP3 had shoulder swapping, have to check this out and playing it as a cover shooter is still your own problem not the games fault. As much as i love Uncharted. This game is whack a mole if you want a example.

Phoenixmgs said:
Didn't like everyone complain about GTA4's driving? The driving is good enough in FC3 ...
Driving in FC3 works because it`s optional and there`s no main mission featuring it. Odd that so many people had fun with the driving in GTA. It`s no simulation sure but what you call average was / is fun to me. RDR not having cool western missions? You must have gotten another copy or maybe you just don`t like the game. No problem with that, still don`t make the game bad to me or others (critics).
You list up side stuff and a bit of sneaking for FC3 missions. GTA5s main missions beat this by far and if i want stealth FC3 wouldn`t be my first choice.
Seems that you really don`t like high polished open world games offering more.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
OldDirtyCrusty said:
Doesn`t change that you`re troubled with things others aren`t bothered with and if you`re such a good shot and the map makes it to easy you could have turned it off.

I`m pretty sure MP3 had shoulder swapping, have to check this out and playing it as a cover shooter is still your own problem not the games fault. As much as i love Uncharted. This game is whack a mole if you want a example.
People may not be troubled by it but that doesn't mean the controls are good either. There's many games I won't play online because of the controls but I can deal with them just fine in single player. There's no reason every shooter shouldn't have controls that can work in an online competitive environment. MGS4 and Ghost Recon Future Soldier's controls do work competitively online while many others like MP3, RDR, GTA, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, etc. don't work online.

MP3 does have shoulder swapping but you have to take your left thumb of the left stick (stopping your character) to shoulder swap, which just shouldn't be. I am a very hardcore TPS player. Also, every shooter (TPS or FPS) should have leaning as well but very very few do (just MGS4 and MOH Warfighter on consoles), there's no reason not to having it as it adds so much depth to competitive play.

Driving in FC3 works because it`s optional and there`s no main mission featuring it. Odd that so many people had fun with the driving in GTA. It`s no simulation sure but what you call average was / is fun to me. RDR not having cool western missions? You must have gotten another copy or maybe you just don`t like the game. No problem with that, still don`t make the game bad to me or others (critics).
You list up side stuff and a bit of sneaking for FC3 missions. GTA5s main missions beat this by far and if i want stealth FC3 wouldn`t be my first choice.
Seems that you really don`t like high polished open world games offering more.
I don't care to really drive anywhere in an open world game, you just drive to get to content 99% of the time. And the driving missions usually suck because the driving isn't near that of an actual racer (arcade or simulation, I don't like racing sims BTW). It's better that FC3 doesn't have racing missions because they would be subpar just like other open world racing missions in other games. Don't give me subpar gameplay just far variety's sake.

I played all the way up to Mexico, maybe a third or a quarter into the game, and there wasn't one cool Western mission yet. I stopped playing because I wasn't having any fun whatsoever. A game shouldn't take hours to get fun.

The only interesting missions in GTA5 seemed like the heist missions, which are few and far between. I'd rather just play PayDay for better heists.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
the hidden eagle said:
From what I recall there were lots of people who hated GTA4's driving and felt GTA5 made the car mechanics way better.Trying to use a appeal to popularity argument does'nt work because you can't really prove if the majority preferred GTA4's driving mechanics more than those that did'nt.

Also the critic opinions mean nothing because there are times where they are just dead wrong.
Nah, i can`t prove anything and GTA4 was overrated (my opinion) i prefered Saints Row2 at the time. I can still see why it got good scores but it wasn`t a 90+ even at release. I`m just writing for laughs and fun since this thread can`t be taken serious anyway. Who the hell gives something over a number anyway these times. It started going in circles right from the start and looking at the title my guess would be that was the intention. A senseless argument over personal gameplay tastes.
There`s no way to change someone who already made up his mind about Rs releases and dislikes gameplay, writing etc. but hey here i am having my longest Escapist forum discussion since i got here.

Normaly i wouldn`t have typed anything negative about games like Just Cause2 since it just wasn`t my game but i can still look at the nice graphic and interesting mechanics and see why it got great scores, same goes for Infamous and other ones.

Phoenixmgs said:
People may not be troubled by it but that doesn't mean the controls are good either...
I get where you`re comming from but that limits your fun playing on console when only 2 titles feature the controls you want.

Phoenixmgs said:
I don't care to really drive anywhere in an open world game...
Ok, then i was right you really just don`t like open world just like myself couldn`t care less about leaning in a TPS.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
OldDirtyCrusty said:
I can still see why it got good scores but it wasn`t a 90+ even at release. I`m just writing for laughs and fun since this thread can`t be taken serious anyway. Who the hell gives something over a number anyway these times. It started going in circles right from the start and looking at the title my guess would be that was the intention. A senseless argument over personal gameplay tastes.
There`s no way to change someone who already made up his mind about Rs releases and dislikes gameplay, writing etc. but hey here i am having my longest Escapist forum discussion since i got here.
There's very objective flaws in RDR that keep it from being 9+/10 regardless of how much you loved the game. There's like no work in any medium that get 9+ scores across all the critics. If you can't see what's wrong with game journalism, then you need to look at criticism in any other medium.

I get where you`re comming from but that limits your fun playing on console when only 2 titles feature the controls you want.
I'm talking about competitive gaming with regards to controls needing to be perfect to near perfect. Uncharted fails because half the time Drake rolls when you wanna take cover or vice verse and you can't aim over your left shoulder initially, you always have to aim over your right shoulder then switch; I can work with that against AI enemies but not actual human players. I shouldn't die because of controls or controls not being efficient enough. Also, there's not many shooters on other platforms that have good controls either; online multiplayer is infested with health regen, melee buttons, and grenade buttons.

Oh, and I forgot to say that Uncharted does not turn into whack-a-mole (unless you play on Crushing) because Drake has much more health than Max Payne. I'm almost always moving in the open when playing Uncharted (on Hard), not so with MP3. Vanquish is a perfect example on how to make a TPS not turn into whack-a-mole because the game gives you the tools to not have to hide in cover and you are actually punished for literally every second you sit in cover.

Ok, then i was right you really just don`t like open world just like myself couldn`t care less about leaning in a TPS.
I loved Mercenaries (one of the best PS2 games), I really like FC3, Arkham City is one of the best PS3/360 games, Midnight Club 2 is my favorite arcade racer ever, and I'm getting a PS4 for Watch Dogs. Plus, my favorite series, MGS, is going open world but I'm fine with it because Kojima knows how to design games unlike Rockstar. How is it that I don't like open world games? I just dislike bad open world games.

Leaning allows for a bigger skill gap among players, which is only a good thing. Leaning is so great because it allows you to correct your aim when it's slightly off with having much less chance of over-correcting. A better player will lean while the lower skill player will just move the crosshairs. There's no reason not to have it either because there is no shooter with a control scheme that wouldn't be able to fit in leaning.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
There's very objective flaws in RDR that keep it from being 9+/10 regardless of how much you loved the game. There's like no work in any medium that get 9+ scores across all the critics. If you can't see what's wrong with game journalism, then you need to look at criticism in any other medium.
Objective flaws in RDR? Sure, now that you mentioned it and with everything that`s plain wrong with the game and todays game journalism i can`t believe i was along the brainwashed masses. What was wrong with me playing this shit for months and thinking i was having fun and enjoying it. Damn and thanks for the eye opener i will be more objective next time.

Phoenixmgs said:
I'm talking about competitive gaming with regards to controls needing to be perfect to near perfect. Uncharted fails because half the time Drake rolls when you wanna take cover or vice verse and you can't aim over your left shoulder initially, you always have to aim over your right shoulder then switch; I can work with that against AI enemies but not actual human players. I shouldn't die because of controls or controls not being efficient enough. Also, there's not many shooters on other platforms that have good controls either; online multiplayer is infested with health regen, melee buttons, and grenade buttons.

Oh, and I forgot to say that Uncharted does not turn into whack-a-mole (unless you play on Crushing) because Drake has much more health than Max Payne. I'm almost always moving in the open when playing Uncharted (on Hard), not so with MP3. Vanquish is a perfect example on how to make a TPS not turn into whack-a-mole because the game gives you the tools to not have to hide in cover and you are actually punished for literally every second you sit in cover.
You judge from own preferences telling everything different (or not being efficient enough) is doing it wrong while it`s still your personal problem and opinion. Doesn`t sound objective to me.

With Vanquish you brought out the big guns, nothing to argue here.

Phoenixmgs said:
I loved Mercenaries (one of the best PS2 games), I really like FC3, Arkham City is one of the best PS3/360 games, Midnight Club 2 is my favorite arcade racer ever, and I'm getting a PS4 for Watch Dogs. Plus, my favorite series, MGS, is going open world but I'm fine with it because Kojima knows how to design games unlike Rockstar. How is it that I don't like open world games? I just dislike bad open world games.

Leaning allows for a bigger skill gap among players, which is only a good thing. Leaning is so great because it allows you to correct your aim when it's slightly off with having much less chance of over-correcting. A better player will lean while the lower skill player will just move the crosshairs. There's no reason not to have it either because there is no shooter with a control scheme that wouldn't be able to fit in leaning.
Opinions, opinions, opinions. Kojima knows how to direct overcool overlong cutscenes and write the most crappy senseless dialogues ever. I`m starting to feel that you`re not objective about his design qualities. There's very objective flaws in MGS4 that keep it from being well designed regardless of how much you loved the game.
You just dislike Rs games otherwise you wouldn`t be so subjective over open world games.

I`m still fine playing TPS without leaning.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
OldDirtyCrusty said:
Objective flaws in RDR? Sure, now that you mentioned it and with everything that`s plain wrong with the game and todays game journalism i can`t believe i was along the brainwashed masses. What was wrong with me playing this shit for months and thinking i was having fun and enjoying it. Damn and thanks for the eye opener i will be more objective next time.
There's a difference between fun and quality. For example, I had a total blast with Binary Domain, but I can't give that game over a 7/10 due to all the game's flaws, which may or may not deter someone's fun with the game. Just because the game's flaws don't deter your fun with the game, it doesn't mean the flaws aren't there.

You judge from own preferences telling everything different (or not being efficient enough) is doing it wrong while it`s still your personal problem and opinion. Doesn`t sound objective to me.

With Vanquish you brought out the big guns, nothing to argue here.
Is it not easier and faster to switch shoulders with L3 vs left/right on the d-pad? Plus, you don't have to stop character movement. It's not opinion but fact.

And, Vanquish wouldn't be that great online because the game has no shoulder swap.

Opinions, opinions, opinions. Kojima knows how to direct overcool overlong cutscenes and write the most crappy senseless dialogues ever. I`m starting to feel that you`re not objective about his design qualities. There's very objective flaws in MGS4 that keep it from being well designed regardless of how much you loved the game.
You just dislike Rs games otherwise you wouldn`t be so subjective over open world games.

I`m still fine playing TPS without leaning.
I'm not even talking about the story, dialog, or cutscenes of MGS; I'm talking about the game design like levels, bosses, controls, etc. I love MGS because of the hamminess and cheese, Liquid's scene on the river in Chapter 3 is hilarious. Plus, Snake is just basically Snake Plissken, which is awesome in itself. MGS4 has by far the best TPS controls EVER; proper shoulder swap, the tightest aiming (the online required headshots to kill, that's how good the aiming was), no melee button, no grenade button, no health regen, LEANING, and MGO also innovated the online shooter greatly (you see MGO's innovations, mainly the SOP system, in almost every shooter since MGO's release).

I'm not saying you can have a fine without leaning. But leaning objectively ups the skill gap between players and makes the top players that much better than the average player. I was told by the best MOH Warfighter player that I was the player he hated playing against the most because I'm constantly leaning (and also sliding). So many times I will win a gunfight (when the enemy sees me first) because I'll slide on them and then lean on the tail end of the slide; I'm moving but not getting any recoil penalties for doing so. Plus, I use the gun with the highest recoil while having the best accuracy %.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
There's a difference between fun and quality. For example, I had a total blast with Binary Domain, but I can't give that game over a 7/10 due to all the game's flaws, which may or may not deter someone's fun with the game. Just because the game's flaws don't deter your fun with the game, it doesn't mean the flaws aren't there.
Binary Domain is better than any MGS. Good choice. I rate games by the fun i have with them. If you rate by quality try out some Rockstar titles they are great and fun too.

Phoenixmgs said:
Is it not easier and faster to switch shoulders with L3 vs left/right on the d-pad? Plus, you don't have to stop character movement. It's not opinion but fact.

And, Vanquish wouldn't be that great online because the game has no shoulder swap.
A fact bothering you not me.

No sense arguing over a non existant mp.

Phoenixmgs said:
I'm not even talking about the story, dialog, or cutscenes of MGS; I'm talking about the game design like levels, bosses, controls, etc. I love MGS because of the hamminess and cheese, Liquid's scene on the river in Chapter 3 is hilarious. Plus, Snake is just basically Snake Plissken, which is awesome in itself. MGS4 has by far the best TPS controls EVER; proper shoulder swap, the tightest aiming (the online required headshots to kill, that's how good the aiming was), no melee button, no grenade button, no health regen, LEANING, and MGO also innovated the online shooter greatly (you see MGO's innovations, mainly the SOP system, in almost every shooter since MGO's release).

I'm not saying you can have a fine without leaning. But leaning objectively ups the skill gap between players and makes the top players that much better than the average player. I was told by the best MOH Warfighter player that I was the player he hated playing against the most because I'm constantly leaning (and also sliding). So many times I will win a gunfight (when the enemy sees me first) because I'll slide on them and then lean on the tail end of the slide; I'm moving but not getting any recoil penalties for doing so. Plus, I use the gun with the highest recoil while having the best accuracy %.
Snake is not Snake Plissken despite what Kojima said years ago.

With all the shooters without leaning you must have a very hard time having fun. You still keep arguing over a mechanic even ignored by most FPS.

GTA5 is still fucking awesome. Every high rating is well deserved and i`m still having fun playing the mp.

Oh and sorry that it took longer this time, let`s keep moving in circles, yay.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
OldDirtyCrusty said:
If you rate by quality try out some Rockstar titles they are great and fun too.
Haha, the last game of quality Rockstar made was Midnight Club 2. Watch_Dogs is going to show everybody how GTA should be.

Snake is not Snake Plissken despite what Kojima said years ago.

With all the shooters without leaning you must have a very hard time having fun. You still keep arguing over a mechanic even ignored by most FPS.

GTA5 is still fucking awesome. Every high rating is well deserved and i`m still having fun playing the mp.

Oh and sorry that it took longer this time, let`s keep moving in circles, yay.
Lol, it's obvious Snake is Snake Plissken from name to mullet to voice to personality.

Lot's of things are dumbed down in just about every shooter from health regen to grenade and melee buttons. I only play the best of the best with regards to competitive online games.

I've seen GTAV played, it's just the same shit with shinier graphics. Just character movement alone is so mechanical.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
Haha, the last game of quality Rockstar made was Midnight Club 2. Watch_Dogs is going to show everybody how GTA should be.

Lol, it's obvious Snake is Snake Plissken from name to mullet to voice to personality.

Lot's of things are dumbed down in just about every shooter from health regen to grenade and melee buttons. I only play the best of the best with regards to competitive online games.

I've seen GTAV played, it's just the same shit with shinier graphics. Just character movement alone is so mechanical.
Watch Dogs isn`t even released. They keep pushing it backwards since the release of GTA 5.

Snake is obvious the japanese weird ass pussy version Kojima imagined not able doing it right, lol lololololololololol.

Playing the best of the best? Hey i do the same.

You poor soul haven`t even played GTA5 yet? Do it, it`s way better than any MGS. You will love it.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
OldDirtyCrusty said:
You poor soul haven`t even played GTA5 yet? Do it, it`s way better than any MGS. You will love it.
Dan Houser is a hack on the level of Michael Bay, at least Kojima doesn't have any pretentiousness about himself. Max Payne 3 is one of the worst games I've ever played from both a gameplay and writing perspective. I already wasted $15 on Rockstar games (MP3 and RDR) on PS3, I'm not wasting anymore.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
Dan Houser is a hack on the level of Michael Bay, at least Kojima doesn't have any pretentiousness about himself. Max Payne 3 is one of the worst games I've ever played from both a gameplay and writing perspective. I already wasted $15 on Rockstar games (MP3 and RDR) on PS3, I'm not wasting anymore.
Your last reply makes me wondering how you define pretentiousness. Instead of Kojima there aren`t many intervievs from D.Houser and if you think MP3 was under the worst games you`ve ever played you shouldn`t touch the MGS series especially the first three. Dumb storylines combined with the shittiest camera angle and mole-sight enemies.

Rockstar deserves praise for inspiring developers to use a more open world and vehicles. The newest overpriced MGS-demo is a prime example for it.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
OldDirtyCrusty said:
Your last reply makes me wondering how you define pretentiousness. Instead of Kojima there aren`t many intervievs from D.Houser and if you think MP3 was under the worst games you`ve ever played you shouldn`t touch the MGS series especially the first three. Dumb storylines combined with the shittiest camera angle and mole-sight enemies.

Rockstar deserves praise for inspiring developers to use a more open world and vehicles. The newest overpriced MGS-demo is a prime example for it.
I'm not talking about interviews but their actual writing and style. From playing Max Payne 3, just the way it's written makes me feel like Dan Houser actually thinks he wrote a good, gritty story and made Max Payne funny (by how the lines were written and delivered). Max Payne was one of the most annoying characters ever, I just wanted him to shut the fuck up, he wasn't funny and his inner monologues were just annoying (every 5 minutes he would say there's no way I'm gonna survive another 5 minutes). Moviebob summed up GTAV the best at the end of one of his Escape To The Movies saying "Yes GTAV, I also think Breaking Bad is good."

Whereas Kojima just does hammy and cheesy things just because instead being all serious about everything. If MGS were a movie, it would be a cheesy and hammy 80s movie starring Kurt Russell dishing out one-liners like he does in Big Trouble in Little China.

Rockstar has only caused open world games to be worse because they make bad open world games (with linear missions) and everyone tries to copy Rockstar because of its sales. Lastly, even Yahtzee liked the MGS demo while not liking anything about GTAV.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
I'm not talking about interviews but their actual writing and style. From playing Max Payne 3, just the way it's written makes me feel like Dan Houser actually thinks he wrote a good, gritty story and made Max Payne funny (by how the lines were written and delivered). Max Payne was one of the most annoying characters ever, I just wanted him to shut the fuck up, he wasn't funny and his inner monologues were just annoying (every 5 minutes he would say there's no way I'm gonna survive another 5 minutes). Moviebob summed up GTAV the best at the end of one of his Escape To The Movies saying "Yes GTAV, I also think Breaking Bad is good."

Whereas Kojima just does hammy and cheesy things just because instead being all serious about everything. If MGS were a movie, it would be a cheesy and hammy 80s movie starring Kurt Russell dishing out one-liners like he does in Big Trouble in Little China.

Rockstar has only caused open world games to be worse because they make bad open world games (with linear missions) and everyone tries to copy Rockstar because of its sales. Lastly, even Yahtzee liked the MGS demo while not liking anything about GTAV.
It wasn`t nearly as annoying as the endless blabla of the MGS series with all the stupid codec conversations about nothing at all. Quoting Movie Bob for a game? I won`t even comment this and i love Breaking Bad.

Kojima trys to hard to be a movie director, that`s what makes him pretentious. A Kojima movie would only work if the man wasn`t involved at all. GCI, bring back Hayter, a decent writer who knows how to reduce the usage of the word "nano" and let the lead designer do the rest (better tell him to make the women not to look like cyber street whore accidents first). It could work. I don`t see much of the cheesy 80 hammyness in the MGS games at all. FC3-Blood Dragon showed how it`s done right.

Yahtzee has his own views and ZP isn`t what i call a review and talking about him - he actually liked MP3 - surprise.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
OldDirtyCrusty said:
It wasn`t nearly as annoying as the endless blabla of the MGS series with all the stupid codec conversations about nothing at all. Quoting Movie Bob for a game? I won`t even comment this and i love Breaking Bad.

Kojima trys to hard to be a movie director, that`s what makes him pretentious. A Kojima movie would only work if the man wasn`t involved at all. GCI, bring back Hayter, a decent writer who knows how to reduce the usage of the word "nano" and let the lead designer do the rest (better tell him to make the women not to look like cyber street whore accidents first). It could work. I don`t see much of the cheesy 80 hammyness in the MGS games at all. FC3-Blood Dragon showed how it`s done right.

Yahtzee has his own views and ZP isn`t what i call a review and talking about him - he actually liked MP3 - surprise.
Moviebob started with video games (Game OverThinker). Even Breaking Bad itself isn't THAT good, so many character motivations make no sense in the show.

How is THIS [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e3HS6-wTtM] not hammy?

Kojima just needs an editor. He did much better in MGS3 and it seems MGS5 will follow suit as well. With MGS4, he just had so much story to finish up. Funny how when an MGS (Twin Snakes) was directed by an actual movie director, it was much worse. I'm fine with Keifer, there's a reason why Keifer is an actor and Hayter is not (not that I don't like Hayter as Snake).

Seems like Yahtzee liked the shooting in MP3 but hated Max and the story, which is complete shit like pretty much anything Dan Houser has written.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
Moviebob started with video games (Game OverThinker). Even Breaking Bad itself isn't THAT good, so many character motivations make no sense in the show.

How is THIS [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e3HS6-wTtM] not hammy?

Kojima just needs an editor. He did much better in MGS3 and it seems MGS5 will follow suit as well. With MGS4, he just had so much story to finish up. Funny how when an MGS (Twin Snakes) was directed by an actual movie director, it was much worse. I'm fine with Keifer, there's a reason why Keifer is an actor and Hayter is not (not that I don't like Hayter as Snake).

Seems like Yahtzee liked the shooting in MP3 but hated Max and the story, which is complete shit like pretty much anything Dan Houser has written.
Not a huge moviebob follower and his views on videogames usually don`t suit to mine.
It`s been a while since i watched BB but i had no trouble following the characters motivations.

This is not hammy, it`s embarrassing.

Kojima doesn`t need a editor, he is in dire need of an writer. What did he do in MGS3? This was the game making me say enough of this crap. Kojima writes utter crap unlike Houser and i was writing about an actual movie not another nanoblabla remake of MGS.

The storyline of MP3 is still better than any of the MGS games. Same goes for GTA4, RDR and GTA5. Games deserving their high scores.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
OldDirtyCrusty said:
Not a huge moviebob follower and his views on videogames usually don`t suit to mine.
It`s been a while since i watched BB but i had no trouble following the characters motivations.

This is not hammy, it`s embarrassing.

Kojima doesn`t need a editor, he is in dire need of an writer. What did he do in MGS3? This was the game making me say enough of this crap. Kojima writes utter crap unlike Houser and i was writing about an actual movie not another nanoblabla remake of MGS.

The storyline of MP3 is still better than any of the MGS games. Same goes for GTA4, RDR and GTA5. Games deserving their high scores.
Hank magically becomes like the best drug detective ever. His partner was smarter than him in the early episodes and Hank got that DEA job out of luck, then afterwards, he is magically the best cop ever. Jesse dealing meth to the rehab group makes no sense (after his girlfriend dying from an overdose) and is by far the evilest thing he did in the whole show. The whole train job episode makes no sense plot-wise. Walt's whole plan to get back in good graces with Jesse by poisoning the kid makes little sense and has way too many variables for a "Walt" plan. And, Skylar is a horribly written character.

LMAO, MP3's plot only would've been better with nanomachines, MP3's plot makes the Miami Vice movie look like Citizen Kane. There were no nanomachine stuff in MGS1, same with MGS3. I guess characters randomly talking about nonsensical political issues is good writing in your eyes.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
Hank magically becomes like the best drug detective ever. His partner was smarter than him in the early episodes and Hank got that DEA job out of luck, then afterwards, he is magically the best cop ever. Jesse dealing meth to the rehab group makes no sense (after his girlfriend dying from an overdose) and is by far the evilest thing he did in the whole show. The whole train job episode makes no sense plot-wise. Walt's whole plan to get back in good graces with Jesse by poisoning the kid makes little sense and has way too many variables for a "Walt" plan. And, Skylar is a horribly written character.

LMAO, MP3's plot only would've been better with nanomachines, MP3's plot makes the Miami Vice movie look like Citizen Kane. There were no nanomachine stuff in MGS1, same with MGS3. I guess characters randomly talking about nonsensical political issues is good writing in your eyes.
-Agreed on the train episode everything else is just fine still no problems getting the motivations and maybe you should rewatch the Hank DEA part. It`s not that hard to get.

"I guess characters randomly talking about nonsensical political issues is good writing in your eyes" nah, it`s not. One of the many reasons MGS failes for me. My only gripe with MP3 are the unskippable cutscenes otherwise this game deserved good scores.

Bashing on Rs writing while being a MGS fan doesn`t work.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
OldDirtyCrusty said:
-Agreed on the train episode everything else is just fine still no problems getting the motivations and maybe you should rewatch the Hank DEA part. It`s not that hard to get.

"I guess characters randomly talking about nonsensical political issues is good writing in your eyes" nah, it`s not. One of the many reasons MGS failes for me. My only gripe with MP3 are the unskippable cutscenes otherwise this game deserved good scores.

Bashing on Rs writing while being a MGS fan doesn`t work.
I literally just watched all 5 seasons over the last couple months. Everyone I know that I've talked about BrBa with agrees with me on the Hank part. I understand why he doesn't want to go back to the DEA and fixates on the blue meth, but not him becoming an ace detective out of the blue. On one of the 1st episodes when Walt goes for the drive-along, Hank's partner is way better than him.

MGS is far lighter than Rockstar's games and MGS does not think it's "all that" and it knows what it is (most of MGS4 is fucking fan-service). Whereas GTA, MP3, RDR, etc. come off as being legitimately well-written works, which they are so very far from.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
I don`t care what "everyone" seems to get about the Hank part. Maybe it would work out watching Buffy if it`s to hard.
MGS is lighter? That`s the excuse for having shitty storytelling?
Many thanks for all the replies but i think it`s over- i`m bored and all your arguments failed...especially since the mentioning of mgs. Better luck next time.

GTA 5 -Jim Sterling aproved and with an mp still alive and kicking. Rockstar home of the well deserved high scores.