Why are some people upset over the boodborne pc petition?

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
Most of the comments in this thread are a load of ... projection. We're to believe that those happy gaming on consoles, the vast majority of them owned before Bloodborne came along, suddenly feel the need to justify their purchase to a group who spend an equivalent amount on a video card alone? And that enjoyment of a game is going to be severely diminished if another platform gets sloppy seconds a year later? Hahaha, ok.

This incident follows the conventional pattern of internet activism. Someone wants something and makes a petition in support of it. Others point and laugh at how stupid the cause is. Both sides then point fingers and call each other entitled and immature. How dare you criticize our righteous crusade!?!? We're only asking to have something ADDED to the status quo! You should be thanking us for trying to better the gaming world!

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Silentpony said:
Gaming politics man. Always been this way. Back during the 90s war, everyone would have benefited from Perfect Dark being on the PS1 and Sonic whatever being on the N64, but they had to exclusive them out to breed discontent.
Eh. It's not always politics. Some devs just don't want to.

Rare is a classic example. Though in the end they were practically a Nintendo 2nd party dev (before microsoft bought them), their philosophy was always to only develop on a single platform, and to understand that one platform in intimate detail.

They are the kind of company that would rather have one platform they know inside out and having really well optimised games as a result, than porting it to everything under the sun (which comes at a cost, usually).

But, cross-platform development was trickier back then anyway. Wii U excepted, the modern consoles pretty much ARE PC's on a hardware level. There's so little in it that it's only the variations in the SDK's that really sets them apart...

The difference between an N64 and a PS1 is huge compared to that between a PS4 and an Xbox One. And both the PS1 and N64 were in turn much more different to a PC than either modern console is.

Porting sounds easy, but it can be quite difficult. And the more different the various systems are (and the more optimised for one specific system a game is), the harder it gets.

That's not to say politics wasn't an issue. Exclusives were always a big deal.
But hardware differences weren't trivial either. The bigger the gap in hardware architecture, the more time and money creating a decent port takes...

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Most of the time it is comments like "PC gamers going on and on about their 'PC Master Race' and here they are begging for a console game".

I certainly understand that attitude, because there is certainly an overzealous and elitist section of the PC gaming community, but the second one guy on a particular platform asks for a game that is not on their platform, suddenly there is this huge thing about how it should/shouldn't be on another platform.

Not that it is going to be ported over, anyway. Seeing as there is very little going on for the PS4, giving away one of your biggest games would be silly, and I doubt that it will ported over any time soon, hell, I doubt that it will ever be ported over.

Islandbuffilo

Apr 16, 2011
Strazdas said:
basically this. its people trying to justify their expenses whichever way they can. we are built to do this to lower regret amount to help us move on into the world. Howeer this sometimes backfire when the deicision is actually bad but not dangerous, meaning that people will end up defending it with whatever illogical tactics they can come up with.
It doesn't help that its pretty much risk vs reward. Maintain quite an expensive investment in pc gaming and pray that eventually exclusives would come to pc or buy a less powerful console and hope you don't get the raw deal further down the line.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
As a PC-gamer I empathise. I remember playing rogue legacy on PC and having a lot of fun with it. Then the awful news came. The game was ported to playstations. All the fun I ever had with the game has now been retro-actively ruined. I can no longer trust the developers not to ruin their games. Life is meaningless now.

In all seriousness, though, no, I don't see why anyone cares either. I think pettyness is a good explanation.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
StreamerDarkly said:
Most of the comments in this thread are a load of ... projection. We're to believe that those happy gaming on consoles, the vast majority of them owned before Bloodborne came along, suddenly feel the need to justify their purchase to a group who spend an equivalent amount on a video card alone? And that enjoyment of a game is going to be severely diminished if another platform gets sloppy seconds a year later? Hahaha, ok.

This incident follows the conventional pattern of internet activism. Someone wants something and makes a petition in support of it. Others point and laugh at how stupid the cause is. Both sides then point fingers and call each other entitled and immature. How dare you criticize our righteous crusade!?!? We're only asking to have something ADDED to the status quo! You should be thanking us for trying to better the gaming world!
Ok, why do people still think that PC gamers routinely spend $400 on a video card? Why does this keep popping up? I am just confused on this one.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
LegendOfLufia said:
Didn't from software say they didn't know how to make PC games BEFORE porting dark souls? Also wasn't from software completly shat on AFTER the released the PC port that gamers DEMANDED? Also if memory serves the EXACT same thing happened with Dark souls 2?
...no, people were happy that dark souls 1 came to the pc since they asked for it to happen, the crappyiness was modded out of the port quickly and apparently it was succesful enough that dark souls 2 made it to the pc too, this time as a pretty much flawless port which is, you know, not the "EXACT same thing" as a bad port.
Pay more attention please.

camazotz said:
There is exactly one reason we won't see Bloodborne, Halo or Gears of War (or Uncharted, Last of Us, or others) on the PC: consoles need exclusives to sell consoles (and subscriptions to their services). Currently the latest generation is really short on exclusives right now, so they really can't afford to let Bloodborne go PC.
I have 38 xbox 360 games.
4 of those games are 360 exclusive.
Those games are Lost Odyssey, Dance Central 1&2 and Kinect Adventures.
There's in fact barely any real exclusive on the thing.
That must mean the xbox 360 tanked hard. Right?
Did it?

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
DrOswald said:
Ok, why do people still think that PC gamers routinely spend $400 on a video card? Why does this keep popping up? I am just confused on this one.
Because many PC gamers do fork out that much for the new shiny. Those less serious will still spend in the neighborhood of $400 total for two video cards over the life cycle of a console.

Islandbuffilo

Apr 16, 2011
DrOswald said:
So I just looked up recommended video cards for my rig, and most of them are in the $400 range.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Islandbuffilo said:
DrOswald said:
So I just looked up recommended video cards for my rig, and most of them are in the $400 range.
Then you are either looking on the wrong sites or you simply expect too much from your hardware.
For about 120 Euro you can easily get a video card that works well for 2,3 or even up to five years. Not always on max, but still pretty and smooth.
Just because you CAN spend 400 bucks on a videocard doesn't mean you have to or should.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Islandbuffilo said:
DrOswald said:
Where are you getting this recommendation?

StreamerDarkly said:
Because many PC gamers do fork out that much for the new shiny. Those less serious will still spend in the neighborhood of $400 total for two video cards over the life cycle of a console.
But it is not the typical case that people buy $400 cards. That is the occasional exception, not the rule. Hence why I said "routinely."

And buying 2 things =/= buying 1 thing.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
ffronw said:
It's a very similar attitude to the one you see displayed in most MMOs when content gets nerfed or made easier to access. "Oh, they removed the keying requirements from Tempest Keep, now everyone is getting welfare epics and cheapening our awesomeness."

There's a definite attitude among some folks that they can't enjoy their games unless they're actively lording something over other players while they do it.
I don't agree that is has to do with 'lording over others'. Sure, it may be the case for some people, but in MMOs in particular achievements in whatever form are what many people play for. Higher levels, better gear, nicer skins, whatever. Making all of it easier to access really invalidates all the time other players put into it (often staggering amounts) and nobody likes feeling that they've wasted a lot of their time. It's a bit like pay-to-win, where new people don't even have to pay.

Right now, Bloodborne is for many people one of the few games that validates their purchase of a PS4. Making that game accessible to everyone invalidates that again. That's a bit of a kick in the teeth, especially for people who bought a new console (possibly in part) for this game.

Personally I bought my PS3 for Metal Gear Solid IV. I'd have been pretty pissed too if shortly after release an announcement would have come that it would come to other platforms. That sentiment will probably die out in part as the console generation matures, but right now I can't entirely blame people for it.

On the other hand, there's probably a huge amount of 'I liked it before it was mainstream' going on, which is just people being stupid. Honestly, I'd love it if people could enjoy games like The Last of Us and Shadow of the Colossus on the PC just as much as I did on my consoles.

Islandbuffilo

Apr 16, 2011
DrOswald said:
Amazon, those are the new prices though, but considering something always goes wrong whenever I try to do something manual with PCs I wouldn't want to buy a used one.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Aerosteam said:
Pretty sure if I bought a PS4, solely to play Bloodborne, then find out that I didn't need to do that in the first place, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Calling the petition "disgusting" though? Nah, more like "useless".
that feel, I could understand it.
Unlike those people i plan on buying it when I can buy bloodborne for 20 bucks a ps4 used for less then 200

that being said i have not seen a lot of this "rage" and i suspect it to be grossly overstated at "some".
This seems to be a level of hate that not even /v/ could drum up in large numbers, a minority opinion on all counts.
But i went to look into it myself and I did find a petition.
the anti pc petition was under 200 signatures, most of them were fucking around, spouting memes and shit in the comment section.
Even if that is not a representative number or even indicative of anything more then a minority, i can't find anymore.
The only over person i have could find was just some SJW bloke calling the pc gamers entitled for wanting it on their platform of choice. Which was annoying and stupid, I do and would prefer to play a game on the system of my choosing.
Also being on the pc can greatly increase it's life 20 years down the line between the internet archive, abandon ware and piracy.

Either way it's not a big deal on any level from what I've seen, heck this seems like engineered controversy if you would excuse the unwanted implications, i mean none. It's jut this seems kinda pointless

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
StreamerDarkly said:
DrOswald said:
$400 is still less then $670 for a PS4 and Bloodborne.

Islandbuffilo said:
DrOswald said:
Amazon, those are the new prices though, but considering something always goes wrong whenever I try to do something manual with PCs I wouldn't want to buy a used one.
what graphics card do you have right now? cause the only way you should be spending that much money is if you're buying a gtx 970 which would be more then enough to last you one console life cycle.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Islandbuffilo said:
Strazdas said:
basically this. its people trying to justify their expenses whichever way they can. we are built to do this to lower regret amount to help us move on into the world. Howeer this sometimes backfire when the deicision is actually bad but not dangerous, meaning that people will end up defending it with whatever illogical tactics they can come up with.
It doesn't help that its pretty much risk vs reward. Maintain quite an expensive investment in pc gaming and pray that eventually exclusives would come to pc or buy a less powerful console and hope you don't get the raw deal further down the line.
those arent the only options though. i spend less money on my PC than i would spend on a console and can still play games. not on highest settings, yes, but still very much playable at 1080p 60fps. since there are PCs that can do more for cheaper nowadays (first time at new console release we have such a situation), a lot of extra justification is needed to own a console.

Islandbuffilo

Apr 16, 2011
Bombiz said:
AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series.
Strazdas said:
Islandbuffilo said:
Strazdas said:
those arent the only options though. i spend less money on my PC than i would spend on a console and can still play games. not on highest settings, yes, but still very much playable at 1080p 60fps. since there are PCs that can do more for cheaper nowadays (first time at new console release we have such a situation), a lot of extra justification is needed to own a console.
Yeah they're playable for the most part, Skyrim at 18 fps with black texture overlays, and mouse stuttering is playable, but compared to it's console counter part that run better, and have less spontaneous, sometime' unique issues, but then I'd have to wait eons for the DLC. How much justification is need depends on luck, from my experience at least.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Wasted said:
I don't understand why people are so naïve on how publishing works. Like Demon Souls, Bloodborne is published by Sony so a PC version is an impossibility. I am well aware that Amazon France had a recent listing of a PC version but I have a hard time believe that it was not an error.
And I don't understand how people still think that Bloodborne was ONLY published by Sony, instead of, you know, co-developed. I swear Sony Japan Studios must the the bitterest dev team around, they work with Fromsoft and put a monumental amount of work in to help bring us Demons Souls and Bloodborne and never get any credit for it. I wouldn't care if Bloodborne got a PC release, I just think it's pointless to whine about something that's never going to happen. And once again, I'll be perfectly happy to eat some crow if it happens, because I honestly don't care.

Edit: Damn that petition is fucking whiny- "you betrayed us after releasing your last two games on PC!" Fuck off with that. From didn't "betray" anyone. Sony approached From about making a game, they agreed. Miyazaki agreed to helm it as director because he wanted to make a next gen game and had a good working relationship with Sony Japan Studios. And doesn't this petition target the wrong people? From couldn't bring this to PC if they wanted to, It's Sony's IP to publish and distribute. It should be "letter to SCE Japan." Dumbass couldn't even do a bit of research. Bad petition, whiny attitude.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
I think we all know the importance of exclusives and how fanboys can latch onto them to further justify their gaming platform of choice.

I'd rather see it stay exclusive; PC gamers can't have everything, sorry, same as I can't get a good MOBA on my PS4 you can skip out on Bloodbourne. That's the business.

I'm not being sour or petty about it, just being real here. Every platform needs its own little perks and personal things that need to make it something worth having. And, even though it isn't my flavour, Bloodbourne is one of the PS4's. And that's the way it should be.

I mean ffs, even the Toejam and Earl Kickstarter needs 100k over it's goal to get a console port, that's bull T&E is a console IP.

I think the PC community should probably lay off the console guys though, and a petition is a tad... well it's like having your cake and eating it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Usually I sign these petitions because it takes 5 seconds to make someone happy to see more signatures, but this petition is pretty pathetic and I understand why people dislike it. The idiot who came up with it says that FromSoftware has betrayed PC gamers by not releasing Bloodborne on the PC. Betrayed? Seriously? Grow the fuck up.

And yeah, it's a pointless petition. Sony owns the IP. The only way that PC gamers can get something like Bloodborne is if FromSoftware makes a spiritual successor like they did with Dark Souls, which was practically renamed Demon Souls.