Why are The Witcher 2 fans so defensive?

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Based on the response to this week's ZP and Greg Tito's review (in which he said that he liked the game but pointed out his frustrations with it), fans of The Witcher 2 seem to be really defensive about the game.

I have two questions surrounding this turn of events. The first is more complex and dissects the nature of the way game experiences are presented. The second is more along the lines of your basic "why?" question. Pick your poison, or poisons, and "A" or "B" before your responses so we can see what you're responding to.

Question A:

I haven't played the game myself and I likely won't, but from what I understand, frustrations with the game are born out of the lack of a tutorial, i.e. "I kept dying because I didn't know how to effectively use the controls."

In response, TW2 fans say, "Why don't you read the journal? Why don't you look it up? Do you need your hand held all the time?"

It reminds me of the release of Final Fantasy XIII. Yes, I know I'm inviting flames by drawing a comparison between these two games, but bear with me.

I hate Final Fantasy XIII. My biggest gripe with the game is that the story makes little sense. FFXIII fans usually try to refute this by saying, "It TOTALLY makes sense if you read the Datalog." (the Datalog is a collection of plot summaries, backstories, bios, etc; similar to the Codex in Dragon Age)

In previous Final Fantasy games, the story was self-contained and could be appreciated just by playing through the game normally. In Dragon Age, which also had a "Datalog," reading the Codex would give a deeper understanding of the world of Dragon Age, but it was not required to understand the main plot and characterization. With previous Final Fantasy games as precedence and alternative experiences like Dragon Age, I argue that I'm justified in saying...

...I should not have to turn to other source material to enjoy Final Fantasy XIII.

How is this different from people playing The Witcher 2 and getting frustrated because they feel they shouldn't have to "look stuff up" to have a basic enjoyment for the game?

Question B:

So, people were frustrated with the game in ways that perhaps you weren't. Why is this so bothersome?

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Because people that don't believe the same things I do are ignorant! And should be burned at teh stakez durr hurr durr

weker

May 27, 2009
Because too many critics liked the game, and the overall quality eclipses many others that were top in the genre.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Well, you see, this is a AAA PC *only* game, so PC gamers have to defend it, because AAA games just aren't coming around as often as they used to.

Or at least thats their train of thought. I like the game, its not the second coming of PC gaming, but its good so... yeah.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
I liked the post yesterday claiming Bioware paid off the Escapist to give The Witcher 2 a bad review. Also claimed that the site had given no news on the game at all, it was rather funny.

Only explanation I have for this is that it's the mindset certain gamers have. They like the game so anybody who says otherwise should be shot in the face.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Because, in their minds, it's the only recent game (or RPG) that hasn't been 'dumbed down' for consoles.

I know, it's ridiculous, but like someone else said, that's what fans do.

Blend

Dec 16, 2010
The Witcher 2 fans aren't defensive. FANS are defensive. It's bizarre to me how you are just noticing this with respect to this one game. I'd guess this is the first time you are on the opposite side of the argument.

Fans are always defensive of what they love with the level/insanity of the defensiveness inversely related to mainstream opinions.

Sorry I couldn't read all of A, probably a B person but was just responding to the general premise of the thread anyway.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Blend said:
The Witcher 2 fans aren't defensive. FANS are defensive. It's bizarre to me how you are just noticing this with respect to this one game. I'd guess this is the first time you are on the opposite side of the argument.

Fans are always defensive of what they love with the level/insanity of the defensiveness inversely related to mainstream opinions.

Sorry I couldn't read all of A, probably a B person but was just responding to the general premise of the thread anyway.
Exactly. Go watch Yahtzee's "Mailbag Showdown" episode. Some people just want to defend their decisions to avoid the niggling doubts in their heads. That's just one reason, but people do crazy, stubborn things for a multitude of reasons.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I think most rational people who like Witcher 2 (I'd consider myself in this group) know that the prologue and "tutorial" were sucky. I had a lot of questions about how to play the game by the time I got through that, not to mention how often I died. But that type of learning also tends to fit with my style. Trial and error, to a certain degree, can be quite thrilling (thinking Demon's Souls). Too much gets frustrating but... it wasn't THAT bad anyway, for me. I think the problem is you start with such absolute shit gear. By the end of the game I could go on a rampage and barely had to dodge or block.

Anyway besides that, Yahtzee's... critique... was actually untruthful. I don't mind him picking apart actual issues or whatever but for example he said several times how long the game is... yet it's probably one of the shortest RPGs I've played in the last year including Fallout NV, Risen, and DA 2. He actually got 1/3 of the way through it. On top of that, he got all upset because... he didn't know which button would skip the cutscene (or that it was even possible). Ok, so it doesn't tell you right away, but anybody with half a brain will start smashing buttons to skip a scene. Once you do that it tells you what button will skip it.

So basically, it's annoying to first see him essentially lie, and then it's kind of sad to see people respond with "wow guess I won't get that stupid game!".

Anyway I don't really care what games people play and like. I think The Witcher 2 is an amazing game and any RPG fan should try it, but then some people say the same of FF XIII, which I couldn't be bothered to finish and then I exchanged it.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
remnant_phoenix said:
Question A:

I haven't played the game myself and I likely won't, but from what I understand, frustrations with the game are born out of the lack of a tutorial, i.e. "I kept dying because I didn't know how to effectively use the controls."

In response, TW2 fans say, "Why don't you read the journal? Why don't you look it up? Do you need your hand held all the time?"

It reminds me of the release of Final Fantasy XIII. Yes, I know I'm inviting flames by drawing a comparison between these two games, but bear with me.

Actually your comparison to FF13 works. Trying to understand what's going on in the Witcher 2's story without checking the journal for information on people and places will lead to many confusing situations. Keeping a pad and pencil nearby to remember all the names and such is a good idea.

Also, there are several frustrating things about the design of Witcher 2, the lack of tutorial (which has been sort of fixed in the latest patch. It's not as punishing at least) is only the start of things. It's a good game though.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Snowalker said:
Well, you see, this is a AAA PC *only* game, so PC gamers have to defend it, because AAA games just aren't coming around as often as they used to.
Except it's not, because it's coming to 360 (and maybe PS3) as well. So if that's why people are falling over themselves to defend it so vehemently, they can stop now.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110856-E3-Witcher-2-Xbox-360
Yeah, I know, but I still think that's why its got such a head-strong fanbase, I mean, honestly, don't PC gamers strike you as pretentious? I mean, I'm one of them and even I admit they'll argue over this kinda stuff till the end of time. Besides, I won't believe its coming to consoles until the day of release, cause they pulled the same shit with the last Witcher.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Except it's not, because it's coming to 360 (and maybe PS3) as well. So if that's why people are falling over themselves to defend it so vehemently, they can stop now.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110856-E3-Witcher-2-Xbox-360
Even still, PC's got it several months earlier and if the game on 360 looks even equal to the game as it does on PC at the Medium settings and isn't spread over at least 3 discs, I will commit ritual suicide.

Or I'll just be really surprised. Either or.

Luthir Fontaine

Oct 16, 2010
I can kind of see why.....Witcher 2 requires thought and trail/error not to many games like that anymore...

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
With the trend of games that are becoming easier and easier, it's worth defending games that are criticised just for being "hard" or making you RTFM.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
I found the review annoying because Yahtzee came across as an idiot for complaining about things like there are two weapons for two different type of enemies. If someone actually finds that needlessly complex than I don't know how they even use a computer or play ANY video game. Different weapons working better on different enemies is old in PC and console games. There is some real criticism such as the prologue being too hard but that is said in almost every review and the way Yahtzee said it didn't make it funny. He mentions that is another dark medieval fantasy when how many others are there? 3? Dragon Age, Witcher, and Dragon age 2.... Which tells you nothing about the story whatsoever. It is like saying Silent 2 is just another survival horror game. Yet, when any Witcher fan makes any comments about what Yahtzee simply got wrong, it seems that others on this site are like OMG PC GAMER ELITISTS!!!11

Note, I haven't played Witcher 2 and I may very well hate the combat, but the review just came across as really stupid like something someone would make on youtube for fun, not as something someone should actually get paid for. I wonder if Yahtzee was actually making fun of people who find PC games too complex with trying to exaggerate the stupidity that some people state with saying things like there being two different weapons for two different type of enemies. Because, otherwise the review if anything is just so bad it is good if there is any good to it..

The fact of the matter is that Yahtzee's reviews are generally good most of the time even though they are based more on humor than giving an attempt at impartial review. Thus it is sad to say that perhpas some people may be not giving themselves a chance to experience something they may enjoy when it eventually comes out for the Xbox 360 because a normally good reviewer made a really lazy and stupid review.