Why are there no funny female comedians?

Audio

Apr 8, 2010
I'd imagine it has something to do with "the wife" jokes. :|
But there are some good ones out there.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Psychedeliasmith said:
I'm amazed Jo Brand has so much love - rightly so, though. The most recent thing she did, with Vicky Pepperdine, was a sitcom set in a female geriatric ward, and was one of the best things I've seen in years. Ava Vidal (an ex-prison guard) and Sarah Millican (went into comedy after her therapist kept laughing at her) are both great fun. Sandi Toksvig and Sue Perkins are utterly wonderful, too.

I think that a lot of funny women express themselves as writers, or in other media, rather than standup. Laura Solon is fantastic but works almost entirely on the radio. Margaret Atwood's work, while not being comedy, always has a very strong and distinctly wry humour. And Nicola Barker's work is hilarious.

There's a series of interviews that Dawn French did called 'Girls Who Do Comedy' that's well worth a look - she interviews mostly UK comedians about their motives and whatnot. One thing that kept coming back about their childhood was simply 'boys don't date funny girls.'
I'm totally in agreement with pretty much all of this, I just think in general, women are better at writing and being witty than doing stand up in front of a drunken mob.

There's tons of funny women on british radio, they just rarely get the chance to make the jump to TV. This could be because they (imo at least) don't usually have the speedy wit to fit into panel shows and the likes, despite being able to be funny.

I think one thing where men do have it sewn up is the irrelevant or surreal style, I've not seen any women successfully pull off material like Ross Noble or Eddie Izzard.

I think more to the point is that women are out there, but they're not getting the air time of the men. Even if (data collected by my proctologist) there were say, 500 male comedians and 50 female, they're not getting nearly 10% of the airtime.

It also seems pretty poor choices are made when one is chosen, which is why I don't condone the whole 'putting women and minorities on TV just because they are' thing (I forget the correct term for it).
Little Miss Jocelyn and Tittybangbang for example, tho Lucy Montgomery and Debbie Chazen can be very funny, and Lucy's Tom Cruise character is great.)

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'd also have to strangely agree with Dawn French's comment about 'boys dont go for funny girls'. I'd like a girl with a sense of humour, but I don't think I'd want one who was consistently funnier than me. I don't mind her being better looking, smarter, richer, more successful, but I hold my sense of humour as one of my prime attributes, and I'm not sure I'd want to take 2nd place there.

Also, a vast amount of humour does seem to come from failings of your partner, that's not going to help either :D

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Women prefer funny guys so we've evolved that way as funny guys have been more likely to mate. If you look at lonely hearts adverts in newspapers you will see that statistically much more men will claim to have a good sense of humour and women will much more often say they are looking for someone with a good sense of humour. It's all to do with the culture behind laughter. As I always do when a topic like this comes up I will recommend reading The Naked Jape which is co-written by Jimmy Carr and explains all fundamentals behind what we find funny. It also has a classic joke at the bottom of every page.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Jan Ravens, Sarah Millican (saw her on Mock The Week and she was great. Boyfriend tried punishing her with dirty talk: Yeah, take the bins out), Sue Perkins, Sandi Toksvig, Lucy Porter (occasionally hit and miss but generally very sweet with a dangerous critical edge). I like all those.

My thoughts on Jo Brand have changed a lot recently. I used to find her too anti-man. A bit of a Roseanne if I'm honest. Lately she seems to have taken the anti-man edge off her jokes and added a bit more self-deprecation which goes a long way to making her more accessible.

Gina Yasheri I find horribly unfunny. As people have said, she has just the one joke. Sarah Silverman I had the huge misfortune of watching one of her routines. I don't actually think she understands humour. I couldn't grasp why anyone would find her funny.

I very much like Shappi Khorsandi's bits too. She looks bored on Mock The Week but then so do some of the best comedians (John Oliver, I'm looking at you).

Sam Bee from the Daily Show always makes me laugh. Her bit with Al Jazheira (sp?) was priceless.

R.I.P. Linda Smith. Still miss her humour.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I think whenever a woman makes jokes about being a woman it's going to alienate guys who for natural reasons cannot recognize themselves in the jokes. But apart from that, I dunno.

TheGameXXVII

Feb 1, 2010
Jo Brand is rather funny, mainly because she does comedy where she takes the piss out of herself and laughs about it, which makes her very funny for me.

my favorite Jo Brand joke is when she is discussing her husband:
"Yes, i do have a husband...the one that couldn't run away fast enough"

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Men are much more willing than Women to make fun of themselves and others, they aren't afraid, and a majority don't care, what people think of them.

Another reason, I've found, is that the main topic female comedians talk about, is "Being a Woman", which bores me.

SeventySeven

Aug 13, 2009
I think it is because female comedians talk about 'child birth and mood swings'. Things only females can relate to, yet male comedians talk about things everyone can relate to. Female comedians rely heavily on personal experiences when people like Akmal and Stephen K. Amos talk about countries/people and the like.

When it comes down to it, I think it is relatability. Females just need to learn to stop talking about them and talk about something else. : D

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
D Bones said:
Tina Fey is funny on 30 Rock.
30 Rock would suck without Alec Baldwin... Sure Tina Fey is funny but Alec Baldwin is by far the best character on the show.

My favorite female comedian is Sarah Silverman. Mostly because she's so... unfunny.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
PatientGrasshopper said:
TMAN10112 said:
lisa lamonelli is pretty good, there was another girl I saw that was great, but I can't remember her name.
Ok so I looked up Lisa Lamonelli, and she is just like almost all the female comedians I have heard complaining about female problems and her dildo and such. It was so bad I couldn't watch any more.
I dinno' I liked what's basically become her trademark line: "I've fucked more black guys than Hurricane Katrina." Wow, it seems so...not funny when you type it out.

EDIT:Anyway, I know a few good female comedians, but I'm totally blanking on the names.
Because there are none. They all try too hard. Every single female comedian I have seen uses way, way too much toilet humor or otherwise crass/needlessly crude jokes.

Wait. There was one Irish female comedian I saw who actually made me laugh. I forgot her name, it was a couple years ago.

Now back to the rest of'em. The rest spew nothing but unfiltered garbage through their mouths, and I wish most of them, and most of all Lisa Lamponelli, would STFU and learn how to actually be funny.

In fact, that's just it. They have no idea how to really be funny. All they know is most people will laugh at dirty jokes and off-color humor, but those of us who don't like hearing a full half hour of that wish that they would learn how to be funny, without being stupid.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
Men like to go for the roaring laughter, trying everything just to make the croud laugh. Woman rather want to talk about experiences, things people did once themselves so they can chuckle at it in a way they recognise.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Victoria Wood
Dawn French
Jennifer Saunders
Doon Mackichan
Jan Ravens

just to name a few who are actually good.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
Female comedians are funny but a lot of them don't make fools of themselves like men do. That was said by a femail comidian on Qi btw. I'm not being sexist.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
guys arent so worried about image as women, some women are more willing to make fun of themselves, but they usually end up taking it way too far, to the point of just being annoying (sarah freaking silverman)

and those women who are comedians are usually justt un funny feminists, whos sole reason for becoming a comedian was to spread the feminist word, its like if a pastor became a comedian, just because he knew the chucklehut would let him talk about church with thinly veiled jokes for 10 minutes

you can find funny women...just dont expect them to be comedians

Faulty Turmoil

Nov 25, 2009
I do like Joe Brand, but that's it. I don't know why, but they don't seem to be very funny.
Maybe it's their jokes, or maybe their voice?