Why are they lying about food ?

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
Yan007 said:
I'm sure Chinese readers will be able to tell everyone more about this, especially if they are honest, but here are a few things you should be aware of before coming to China for vacation or work. This will sound racist, I know, but it is how life is here. It is getting better, but we're not there yet.:

1- Sanitary: Chinese people are generally not clean. Or rather, not clean in the sense most other cultures would agree with. In China, if your hands are not visibly soiled, then they are clean. You go to the bathroom, wipe your ass: hands still white? Clean! The person cooking your food may wash his hands only once a day, after work. This is normal everywhere, including in hospitals regardless of who you are (patient, doctor and so on). They say you are what you eat, but here you are also what is on your chef's hands (and bottom). Also, there is no shame in defecating in public, even between rows of fresh food at a supermarket. Keep this in mind. It is very common for restaurants and even hospitals to NOT have any soap. This also explains why you will see people defecate in public or with the bathroom door open: They think that if they don't touch the door or don't go to the bathroom then it is cleaner for them and therefore they won't get sick or need to wash their hands. Yes.

2- Fake food: You may think some food may be "fake" in the West. I agree. I love real food. Especially now. Imagine going into a supermarket and NEVER knowing if what you buy is real. The ingredients list may be fake, the ingredients themselves may be hazardous to your health, the food may be spoiled and you can forget about nutritional information: If it is present on the package at all, then it is most probably fake too.

I even had "fake" oranges once. The oranges themselves were real. The problem was as follows: The oranges had been painted and coated with some kind of wax to look fresh and colorful. Inside, they were old and rotting. Sometimes you'll buy walnut only to realize later that the seller already took the meat inside and replaced it with stones and glued the nut back together to make more money.

3- My stomach is upset: Almost everyone who comes here will experience a phase after a couple months during which you feel like you are dying. It's like having the worst case of diarrhea mixed with a complete loss of energy and will to live. You realize that the food you eat is poisonous and you will have to adapt, leave or die. Most of my coworkers (Chinese people) will have upset stomachs at least once every 2 months and get real bad food poisoning at least twice a year. The same happens to me. Here, it is normal and people don't think an upset stomach or food poisoning is serious: it just happens. They will often just shrug it off and say "today's food was bad, maybe tomorrow's will be better." They are often in awe when I tell them I suffered from food poisoning only once in my life before coming to China and having an upset stomach is not that common too.

4- Water: When travelling, it is said you shouldn't drink the local water. In China, nobody drinks the local water - not even the locals. Our water often has "particles" so you have to boil it for 15 minutes or use a water fountain.

5- Cold kills EVERYTHING: Remember what I said about the water? Here, ice cream is pretty popular and here is how it's made: powdered milk, another powder and TAP WATER because: the machine will make the ice cream cold and cold kills bacteria! (It does not). Eating ice cream from street vendors and restaurants will give you a very bad case of diarrhea for this very reason. Also, this is why you will see Chinese people only use cold water to wash their hands: you think they are lazy - they seriously believe the cold water killed the germs and bacteria.

6- Quality control: Forget what you know about quality control and government regulations. Any rule can be broken and any regulator can be bought. My friend who owns his restaurant has a "perfect" score for his restaurant - he just paid for it.

If you got any question about food here or otherwise, reply here or send me a pm. I'll be glad to tell more.
So basically, if I ever find myself in China for some reason, just don't eat anything. Got it.

Here in Canada I think out food regulations are pretty good for the most part. We do get some fake stuff but it's actually labelled as fake (imitation, artificial, etc) and it still has to go by the CFA.

Much as I love maple syrup, it costs an arm and a leg. Sometimes I'd rather just get a similar taste without getting a second mortgage.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
FreedomofInformation said:
direkiller said:
FreedomofInformation said:
Ice cream which usually has lots of other ingredients like emulsifiers.
You know what else uses an emulsifier, your blood.

an emulsifier is just something that suspends a liquid in another liquid that would normally separate, something having one dose not necessarily make it dangerous to eat.

In the case of ice cream you kinda need it else you would just end up with a block of ice with cream on the top, which would not be very tasty
Ice cream, the clue is in the name and the stuff you buy in store has all sorts of crap in it. Whether it's dangerous or not is another point.

Wine is another product where you don't know exactly what else is in it.
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/08/st_whatsinside_redwine/
yes but getting worked up over Ice cream having an emulsifier is like getting worked up over beer having alcohol in it. It's completely normal for it to be there.
You seeming scared yourself over a word.

as for your link, no most people know that stuffs in there, they would be quite angry if the first 3 were not in there, because at that point it's just bad grape juice.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
DugMachine said:
Blaster395 said:
Diet soda's are, for all dietary purposes, identical to water. The only group that would experience ill effects from drinking them would be people with an extremely rare condition that causes one of the amino acid breakdown products of aspartame to be poisonous, a condition screened at birth in 1st world countries and which prevents you from eating tons of stuff, not just aspartame. Non-dietary reasons to not consume it would be the acidity and it's effect on your teeth.
Could you expand on this a bit? When I started to diet I cut out all sodas for a year and noticed a huge decline in overall bloated look. I don't know what is is about sodas but when I cut them out for awhile I tend to slim down a bit without actually losing weight.
Were you previously drinking non-diet sodas before cutting out all sodas? If so, then yes, that's obviously a major effect because it reduces calories.

Non-diet soda -> diet soda = reduction in calories

Non-diet soda -> water = reduction in calories

diet soda -> water = no change

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Blaster395 said:
DugMachine said:
Blaster395 said:
Diet soda's are, for all dietary purposes, identical to water. The only group that would experience ill effects from drinking them would be people with an extremely rare condition that causes one of the amino acid breakdown products of aspartame to be poisonous, a condition screened at birth in 1st world countries and which prevents you from eating tons of stuff, not just aspartame. Non-dietary reasons to not consume it would be the acidity and it's effect on your teeth.
Could you expand on this a bit? When I started to diet I cut out all sodas for a year and noticed a huge decline in overall bloated look. I don't know what is is about sodas but when I cut them out for awhile I tend to slim down a bit without actually losing weight.
Were you previously drinking non-diet sodas before cutting out all sodas? If so, then yes, that's obviously a major effect because it reduces calories.

Non-diet soda -> diet soda = reduction in calories

Non-diet soda -> water = reduction in calories

diet soda -> water = no change
I was drinking only diet sodas for a few years and then when I cut out diet sodas I seemed to slim down. The weight loss didn't come from not drinking diet soda but I just seemed less bloated. I've read somewhere long ago that sodas, even diet, make you retain water or something.

I'm no diet expert so I don't know exactly.

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
Cutting diet soda has been shown in studies to reduce weight in the long term. People who drink soda, diet or otherwise have a tendency to crave other sweet foods. Your training your body to want sugar.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I laughed out loud at this just because even though I know what you mean the phrasing gave me a hilarious mental image.
Stavros Dimou said:
Are all "honey" products that are being sold in other countries like that ? Syrups that look like honey but are actually made by humans instead of bees ?
Apparently a lot of american products are imitations of what they say they are because we have way too much fucking corn so we try to corn-ify everything. It's actually contributed to our national health problems quite a bit.

Zuljeet

Jan 14, 2010
In the US: The label on the front can say anything. The ingredient list cannot. Read the ingredients and you will know what you are getting into.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Abomination said:
We are living in a world where the United States got the government to state that "Pizza" is a vegetable.

Something made entirely out of cheese, wheat and bacon can be called a "vegetable". I wouldn't trust the ingredients list when that's a standard of classification.
What Congress actually allowed was for tomato sauce, like the kind used in pizza, to be counted as a vegetable when it came to school lunches. Obviously it's still a bad thing because it was done in order to side step new requirements for healthier school lunches but the action itself is not as mindblowingly stupid as headlines make it sound.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Gatx said:
Abomination said:
We are living in a world where the United States got the government to state that "Pizza" is a vegetable.

Something made entirely out of cheese, wheat and bacon can be called a "vegetable". I wouldn't trust the ingredients list when that's a standard of classification.
What Congress actually allowed was for tomato sauce, like the kind used in pizza, to be counted as a vegetable when it came to school lunches. Obviously it's still a bad thing because it was done in order to side step new requirements for healthier school lunches but the action itself is not as mindblowingly stupid as headlines make it sound.
Yes it is because tomato isn't even a fucking vegetable, it's a fruit!