Why are you people so negative?

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
I'm having trouble understanding why so many of the people on the site are so pessimistic. Every other comment is "That greedy (insert company name here) is making money! RAAAAAGGGEE." I'm just happy that the company isn't going bankrupt and firing thousands of it's employees. or when you say "humanity has no value" or some bullcrap about how half of humanity should die off.

Plus gammers aren't exactly the most worst off group of people. We can afford a current gen console or a used ps2 if we're short on cash. In fact, some of us can afford crazy powerful gamming PCs.

My brain hurts just trying to make sense of you soulless depressed group of people.

DAPLR

Nov 11, 2010
Wanna talk negative!? Try being a Star Wars fan who likes The new ones and doesn't care about the added in stuff to the originals....you get eaten ALIVE!!!

Very few Star Wars fans are positive about this kind of thing :p

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
LilithSlave said:
People here are negative?

Go to 4chan, you'll learn what negativity means.
This is true. Escapist is miraculously well-moderated, and therefor trolls and flamers tend to get shut up early on.

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
Your being negative about us being negative......wut?

OT: Dude If you want negativity go to my personal playground /b/......then you will see negativity and a whole lot more.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I believe this word will do you well, OP:

mis·an·thrope
noun
Definition of MISANTHROPE
: a person who hates or distrusts humankind

Synonyms: cynic, naysayer, pessimist

Though honestly I'd just say you're looking in the wrong places. There will always be the people who dislike Nintendo/EA/Activision-Blizzard/any other game related minutia you can think of, even more so on this website considering it is a video gaming magazine site. But I've found that conversation is typically much more civil here than most other sites.

Of course, I could be missing the pessimism because I'm a rather pessimistic person myself. But for everyone who hates EA (myself, for example), there are an equal number of people willing to leap up and champion their cause no matter how detestable their actions become.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Welcome to the Internet circa the Age of Entitlement. Population: Pretty much everyone these days.

This is what happens when you take people who generally have little to honestly complain about and give them an outlet and a voice, but one they don't really have to own up to in any real life/real consequences way.

That said, The Escapist isn't really that bad. I'm honestly sickened by a lot of what gets posted in the virtually anonymous comment sections of pretty much every major news site. At least here there's usually a little intelligence and willingness to discuss ones beliefs.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I like to think it's because we're a level-headed realist bunch who don't like to sugar-coat things, which is what optimism tends to boil down to a lot of the time.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
DAPLR said:
Wanna talk negative!? Try being a Star Wars fan who likes The new ones and doesn't care about the added in stuff to the originals....you get eaten ALIVE!!!

I say this as a Starwars fan 11 years older than you. The new ones and the changes don't really bother me. I think people just hated Jar Jar because he was so positive and kid friendly personally. I edit my internet posts all the time, after the fact... I don't think that means people have to declare me a monster and announce that I'm "dead to them!".

gabe12301 said:
I'm having trouble understanding why so many of the people on the site are so pessimistic. Every other comment is "That greedy (insert company name here) is making money! RAAAAAGGGEE." I'm just happy that the company isn't going bankrupt and firing thousands of it's employees. or when you say "humanity has no value" or some bullcrap about how half of humanity should die off.

Plus gammers aren't exactly the most worst off group of people. We can afford a current gen console or a used ps2 if we're short on cash. In fact, some of us can afford crazy powerful gamming PCs.

My brain hurts just trying to make sense of you soulless depressed group of people.
The better people have it the more screwed up their priorities become I suppose.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
No, what the Escapist has isn't a surplus of misanthropes. What we have is a surplus of people who THINK they are misanthropes, brought in by lure of Yahtzee and his weekly dumps on the world. And then they stay when they find the forums, a sufficiently validating dumping ground for their grievances with the world, their regrets in life, and their general angst.

But no, most of them aren't misanthropes through and through. They've just diluted themselves into thinking so, because the community here is accepting to those types. It becomes their alter-ego, in a sense. They can be as negative as they want to be without the consequences and demands of social norms that functioning real society offers.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Lilani said:
shrekfan246 said:
No, what the Escapist has isn't a surplus of misanthropes. What we have is a surplus of people who THINK they are misanthropes, brought in by lure of Yahtzee and his weekly dumps on the world. And then they stay when they find the forums, a sufficiently validating dumping ground for their grievances with the world, their regrets in life, and their general angst.

But no, most of them aren't misanthropes through and through. They've just diluted themselves into thinking so, because the community here is accepting to those types. It becomes their alter-ego, in a sense. They can be as negative as they want to be without the consequences and demands of social norms that functioning real society offers.
I really wish sarcasm were easy to read. I will agree with you, though.

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
DAPLR said:

I really liked the new trilogy when it came out, even the second movie. My favourite part used to be the Gungan-droid battle.