Why aren't you a vocal one.

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
Simple thread,The question is who is your favorite vocalist.Now it doesn't matter what genre is your favorite I'm only concerned with your favorite vocalist whom may or may not be associated with your favorite genre.
Mine has to be a tie between Sammy Davis Jr. and Chris Robinson of The Black Crowes
Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWDuvskMhNs Sammy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a76FeV2-Dw Chris Robinson

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Mikael Akerfeldt hands down.

Beautiful singing voice.

<youtube=FBS7ejV9qEk&ob=av3el>

Brutal growls.

<youtube=DHu86Gr2RC8>

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Hmm this is a tough one for me but i'm gonna go with Miss Tarja Turunen. She can hit some high notes like nobody's business.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Gotta give props to Stevie Wonder, especially during the five-year stretch in the mid-70s between "Talking Book" and "Songs in the Key of Life" where the man was touched by the hand of his God. And his cover of "We Can Work It Out" is for my money better than the Beatles' original.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Oh good lord, where to begin...

Dave McPherson would have to be the tough top pick for me (InMe being my favourite band EVAR).

But by god there are many vocalists who could easily take the top spot...

...and I should stop getting carried away with this...

edit: Ahhhh someone posted Mikael Akerfeldt. Hell yeah!

Critical_Sneeze

Oct 19, 2010
GiantRaven said:
Dave McPherson would have to be the tough top pick for me (InMe being my favourite band EVAR).
Is he new to the band? Because InMe were the first folk I saw live, and they were horrendous.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Critical_Sneeze said:
GiantRaven said:
Is he new to the band? Because InMe were the first folk I saw live, and they were horrendous.
No, he's the original vocalist. And depending on when you saw them (around the release of their first two albums) they probably were horrendous live. These days, following the release of the absolutely fantastic Daydream Anonymous, they've improved their live act considerably.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010

Tomas Kalnoky of Streetlight Manifesto fame and Dallas Green narrowly missed out

Fat Mike of NOFX fame would have got the spot but I think his punk vocals are a little generic. I really really like the style of Random Hand and think the vocals are a great compliment to the ska elements.

It was a close call between Nathan, Andrew Neufield from comeback Kid and Travis Reilly from This Is Hell. The guy from HORSE has a very distinctive and different scream which is why he is my winner. ^.^

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Jonny Craig
Listener (Dan Smith)
the clean vocals from those guys always blow my mind.

Critical_Sneeze

Oct 19, 2010
GiantRaven said:
No, he's the original vocalist. And depending on when you saw them (around the release of their first two albums) they probably were horrendous live. These days, following the release of the absolutely fantastic Daydream Anonymous, they've improved their live act considerably.
Yeah, to be fair I did see them about 5-6 years ago.

Tips_of_Fingers said:
Fat Mike of NOFX fame would have got the spot but I think his punk vocals are a little generic. I really really like the style of Random Hand and think the vocals are a great compliment to the ska elements.
Saw Random Hand last year and they were amazing.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Heather Nova, both as a favourite vocalist and a favourite artist.

This one is a bit crappy quality, but I was actually there, so it gets bonus points for that :)

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
TheComedown said:
For the life of me I will never understand why so many vocalists with great voices will do the whole generic screamy thing.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
GiantRaven said:
TheComedown said:
For the life of me I will never understand why so many vocalists with great voices will do the whole generic screamy thing.
Thats probably why I'd put Jonny above the Zach in terms of whose vocals I like more.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
There's no voice like the voice of Tom Waits:

Why do I like his? Well because im fucking sick of the concpet that a voice has to sound "clear" and "beautiful" in order to produce singing that sounds awesome.

biGBum333

Aug 26, 2010
WrongSprite said:
Mikael Akerfeldt hands down.

Beautiful singing voice.

<youtube=FBS7ejV9qEk&ob=av3el>

Brutal growls.

<youtube=OFom-4Lnj9E>
damn! beat me to him!