Why aren't you sick of Marvel Movies yet?

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
My background with the franchise:

Iron Man - Loved it. Was super hyped to learn of an MCU being setup.
The Incredible Hulk - Boring. Arguably better than prior hulk attempts but poor.
Iron Man 2 - Not great. Felt similar to the first but its a sequel so that's fine.
Thor - Felt like a reskinned Iron Man. Officially the point where I had MCU fatigue.
Captain America - Saw it because of the massive hype. My new favorite of the bunch but it still felt 100% like an Iron Man reskin movie. MCU fatigue confirmed, but there was still life in the concept.
Avengers - Holy crap this felt fresh and different. Loved it! Bring on the MCU!
Thor 2 - Wait...we're not done with Iron Man formula reskins? I'm out.

I have seen a couple of other MCU films as they came out on Netflix and I'm sorry to say they either feel like Iron Man reskins or Avengers reskins.

People historically don't give this many chances to a franchise. Look at how quickly they abandoned franchises that played it safe like Saw, Paranormal Activity, Various disaster movies like Armageddon and Twister during that fad, remake fatigue.

I gave the MCU concept way more 'attempts' than I really should have and yet I'm probably looked at as someone whose gotten sick of the franchise REALLY EARLY ON.

So now 14 movies in with the formula safely in place and showing no signs of change....why aren't you sick of Marvel Movies yet? Asked in another more professional way Why does it appear that Marvel movies are more than just another cinematic fad?

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
I am, I'm absolutely fed up with superhero movies and I can't wait until the damned fad dies out.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I was turned off because of how bad Avengers 2 was.

But the seeds of it were sewn when I watched Guardians of the Galaxy.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Because despite what people say about them and ignore the fact that superheroes have long stopped being a genre, when you get right down to it there's more then enough variety within what they do to keep it fresh.

At this point it's like asking why you're not yet sick of big budget movies that have a heavy emphasis on effects.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Zontar said:
Because despite what people say about them and ignore the fact that superheroes have long stopped being a genre, when you get right down to it there's more then enough variety within what they do to keep it fresh.

At this point it's like asking why you're not yet sick of big budget movies that have a heavy emphasis on effects.
You know that's actually a pretty excellent point. Michael Bay films are still going strong despite a far more negative backlash compared to the MCU as are the DC films for the same reasons. Presumably yearly Star Wars films will be going strong 10 years from now as well.

Is it really just that simple?

Sounds like it just might be. Don't get me wrong, I'm not actually against these movies existing. This isn't a thread to hate on MCU or superhero films. If people like it then absolutely cater to the market demand and continue releasing these franchises regularly. This thread is more of a comment on being surprised why the popular thing is still reasonably popular after all this time.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I mean if I sat and marathoned them all I might see an issue. But watching an action movie with shared characters once a year has yet to prove onerous.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
i am enough to not watch any of the tv shows and ill watch the movies when they come on tv

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Because I don't run out and watch every single one as soon as they're released. I didn't see Ant-Man until long after its home release. That's assuming I even bother watching them at all; I still haven't seen The Hulk, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Guardians of the Galaxy and Dr. Strange, nor do I feel like I HAVE to see them to know what's going on. I haven't felt burnt out yet by the MCU because I don't ALLOW myself to get burnt out via overexposure.

If you're sick of Marvel movies then...stop watching them. Crazy concept, I know.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Who says I'm not? Avengers 2 was the first, Civil War the second, and Doctor Strange the third and final strike for me. They're not bad movies, or even bland per se, but just so... samey and inconsequential. There's zero tension left in them and any semblance of weight or character depth is gone.

And I assume you're talking Marvel Studios movies, not movies in general that are based on Marvel properties. Because Logan was fucking awesome. Which, if anything, makes me hopeful that film studios would stop adhering to the superhero formula, and start making genre pieces with the properties instead. The storytelling opportunities open up so much when you no longer need to have accurate costumes, arch nemeses as villains or a big punch up at the end. Jessica Jones, Daredevil and (to my understanding) Luke Cage are examples of this on TV, and Logan and Dark Knight in movies. You could have a heist movie with Ant-Man, an espionage spy thriller with Mystique, scifi drama with the Fantastic Four...

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
They are almost the entirety of movies I watch at the cinema these days, if I got sick of them then I wouldn't have anything but Star Wars to watch after I stopped watching Star Trek movies after the second one.

I honestly don't see what the complaints are for; if I liked a movie then I'm not against watching something in the same sort of style but different half a year later.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
McMarbles said:
They don't come out often enough for me to get sick of them.
This. They come out 1 every few months and it's a different property usually. It's not like Transformers or something where it's the same thing every year. Like when was the last time we saw a Captain America movie? Over a year, right? And even longer for a stand alone Thor or Iron Man movie

Plus they're actually good . I've never bought into the idea that oversaturation was such a bad thing as long as the movies are good enough.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Zontar said:

This, really. Ant Man, Iron Man 3 and Captain America: Civil War were all pretty different in both themes and tone. It helps that the casts are above average actors, that the action scenes are some of the best you'll get in an action movie in any given year and that they are easily digestible as watch-and-forget action movies, while generally having some sort of theme in line with traditional superhero conundrums (How do you know you are doing the right thing? How do you live with failing or messing up? What cost is your cause worth? just to name a few of the later movies).

Also, I am a sucker for continuity nods and related forms of fanservice, so a 14 movie franchise where all the movies tie into one another is like a dream to me.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Why should I get tired of it? I LOVE expanded universes! I love when things are related! I wish Tarantino would do more than nods in his films. (I wish he did make a Vega Brothers movie for example).

MCU has replaced the comics as my main Marvel canon at this point. I hope MCU lasts until I die.

Edit: I wish they would involve the Netflix stuff more. I want the Netflix heroes to get upgraded to the films (Like Luke Cage joining the Avengers, Daredevil getting it on with Black Widow, and Kingpin antagonizing Spider-Man!)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not really.

Granted I am expecting at some point they would make a bad MCU movies or I can expect the next film to be bad but so far they haven't been bad. I mean Pixar had a couple of bad movies now. What can I say? I liked me action movies!

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Am I sick of it? No not really, I mean, the Thor movies are terrible but aside from that I really like seeing the type of continuity I've loved for decades being brought to the big screen.

Really excited to see spidey this year although I really do wonder at the choice of Michael Keaton as the bad guy. (Is that all some big casting gag? Like he was in Birdman so some exec thought it would be funny for him to play the Vulture? Maybe I'm over thinking it)

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Marvel has kind of a self-contained "bad" for me, because no Marvel movie yet has been outright bad. Some were pretty average, but I've never been bored by any of them.

On the whole, though, I am starting to see the cracks. Tony's characterization over the course of all the movies is absolutely bonkers. Cap's plotline of needing a war to fight hasn't come up at all since Avengers 2, which is a real shame because it's a cool idea. Black Widow doesn't seem to have any consistency at all, she's just fulfilling whatever strong woman role they need for whatever film.

Somehow the strongest and most consistent characters are Hulk and Thor, which makes me excited for Ragnarok. I have no idea where the marvel universe will go after Infinity War part deux. Hopefully nowhere, so the series can have a proper crescendo and climax and not overstay its welcome... but that won't happen.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Saelune said:
Edit: I wish they would involve the Netflix stuff more. I want the Netflix heroes to get upgraded to the films (Like Luke Cage joining the Avengers, Daredevil getting it on with Black Widow, and Kingpin antagonizing Spider-Man!)
I was originally like you on this point. While I have not seen any of the Netflix stuff, I did watch Agents of SHIELD for the first three seasons. But after the third season, I stopped for several reasons. One of the big ones was what you're saying: the show had pretty much ZERO crossover with the movies. How cool would it have been to see the cast from SHIELD, or even just Agent Coulson, show up for a brief appearance on the bridge of that carrier in Age of Ultron? But as it stands, Marvel seems very happy to keep that world out of the movies, so I kind of lost interest.

But then I sat and thought about it. How confused would people who don't watch the TV show be if Coulson just showed up? "Wait, didn't he die in the other film?"
"Yeah, but the TV show explains why he's back."
"...I have to watch a whole show now?"
And I think that would end up being a problem if they started dragging in all the extra extra stuff. It starts to be less about "Hey, that's cool! I know how this and this relate!" and more of a chore. Now I have to watch this, read this, find this website, etc.
So I think it's a good thing that they're keeping the TV and movies kind of in their own bubbles.

But so far I am not sick of the movies. I like that they are continuing the story of the universe through all of them, in their own little ways, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing where this all ends.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I have been since The Avengers. I didn't mind the movie itself, mind, but I saw what they were going to be doing back then and already knew it'd be too much for me to continue caring about. I never saw Iron Man 2 or 3, Thor 2, Captain America 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, or however many other ones they've released by now because honestly, I read the comics for comic book continuity, that's not what I watch films for.

On the other hand, at least they'll have to acknowledge the fact that characters age or get really bullshit with their story contrivances as the cinematic universe goes on, rather than just being able to handwave everything away with comic book time and the occasional stupid reboot.

EDIT: Or they could just go down the endless reboot track, I suppose, but I can't see that path not having diminishing returns on the success front.