Why aren't you sick of Marvel Movies yet?

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I enjoyed most of the films that I've watched. Those being: IM 1-3, Captain America 1, Thor 1, Avengers 1-2, and Guardians.

Definitely experienced fatigue, thus the lack of more recent films in my "watched" category.

Actually looking forward to Guardians 2 though...since I happened to really enjoy that one.

It's similar to previous MCU entries, but it seems to have a bit more personality.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I'm fatigued with people's fatigue with the MCU. I love them. Sure none of them are going to be a masterpiece (like I hear Logan is, damn work why won't you let up so I can see it). But I know I'm going to see a pretty faithful adaption of a comic book character with a certain number of funny scenes, fun action set pieces and an overall fun non-grimdark tone unlike other companies. Some I can enjoy, my wife can enjoy and my future offspring can too.

I'm surprised about OP's opinion on Thor and Captain America. I thought those were pretty unique superhero films. Thor had this high-fantasy feel, with the whole plot being a god learning humility, rather than a human gaining powers. Captain America was a period piece about an unironic pseudo-nazi-fighting patriotic hero. Steve Rogers never needs to learn any story about "great power and responsibility", he starts the film with the morality of a saint, gains powers and never compromises his core-beliefs. As far as MCU films went I was the most worried about it, but it's one of my all-time favorites still.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Scrolling through the thread, there are a few points I want to address, but I want to start with this:

Kolby Jack said:
Marvel has kind of a self-contained "bad" for me, because no Marvel movie yet has been outright bad. Some were pretty average, but I've never been bored by any of them.
Pretty much this. I have been bored by Thor, but that's about it. The MCU movies are fine, for the most part. They're average. They're sometimes even enjoyable. But when you keep producing one average film after another, it starts to weigh you down. A series of bad movies would turn me away, but the MCU is in that sickening middle ground where they're not so bad as to turn me away, but rarely ever "good."

So to address another question:

Neverhoodian said:
If you're sick of Marvel movies then...stop watching them. Crazy concept, I know.
Well, I haven't seen every MCU movie, but at least for me, there's a number of extenuating circumstances:

1) Very few people on the net want to talk about movies outside franchises, at least for any particular length of time. For instance, here's a list of every movie I've seen in cinemas this year:

Passengers

Sing

Assassin's Creed

The Edge of Seventeen

A United Kingdom

Perfect Strangers

Lion

Jackie

No Man's Land

Patriots Day

Hidden Figures

Silence

Jasper Jones

Logan

So, that's 14 films, but how many of them became discussion worthy (for this site) in general? I'd say, Assassin's Creed (a game movie), Passengers (only because of the ending), and Logan. That's about it. That's not to say that these movies weren't reported on, but discussed at length? No, not really. It also doesn't help that living in Australia, the release dates are skewed, so I saw Patriots Day long after its run ended in the US for instance, while I'm guessing Jasper Jones is getting an Australian release date first before heading overseas (could be wrong there). So, when everyone is talking about a certain film, or a book, or a game, or whatever, I (and I'm guessing others) do want to get in on the action, so to speak. MCU films are released at roughly the same time globally, and are ubiquitous enough to generate discussion. I mean, sure, I could create threads for these films, but how many are going to come to them?

And maybe I'm on the wrong site, but of those films, only Perfect Strangers could count as indie - I'm not really that much of a film buff.

2) Second reason is that a fair amount of my filmgoing habits are based on what's on at the time. Sometimes, I may go to see a film with my family, but that's going to boil down to only a few select films based on common interest. When I go alone, it's usually the cinema near where I work on some days, and at some times. So, in essence, I'm more likely to be able to see popular films, because popular films show at more times, so if I want to see a different film, I'd have to wait hours. Such is the case for Logan - saw it after work yesterday, because of the times available to me, it was either that, or Alone in Berlin. Chose Logan because of a higher RT rating, because my family are more likely to want to see AiB than Logan, and there'd probably be more people to discuss Logan with than AiB.

Hence, the MCU. Good enough to make them tolerable, not so good that I jump at the chance to see them, but at this point, it's kind of out of a sense of obligation, plus limited selection.

3) There's also the fact that for me, every so often the MCU releases a genuinely good film, in my case, being Iron Man, Iron Man 3, and Doctor Strange. Three films out of a lot, but spread out far enough to give jump 'jumpstarts' in the franchise.

Dec 16, 2009
with the shared universe, SFX, range of characters, it's the most fun pop corn muncher for me.
They're pretty shallow, i do like what thye've done with the Netflix stuff

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I like the MCU films because so far they have all been entertaining. Some more than others, but even the ones that everyone seems to rank lowest I had fun with. I also don't feel fatigue from them because they are, for the most part, different genres. Sure, they all fall under the superhero umbrella (well, maybe not Guardians), but in that we've had pulp war movie (First Avenger), espionage thriller (Winter Soldier), comedic heist (Ant-Man), space opera (Guardians), and a slew of what can mostly be considered action films, yet each with a bit of a different feel to the others. Yes, there's some overlap, especially when you consider the first film for each series and how samey an origin story can be (Iron Man and Doctor Strange especially feel very similar in this way), but there's enough differences there, and especially in follow up films, that it never feels like I'm watching the exact same movie just with different characters.

I only see a few movies in the theaters each year. It's expensive to go to the theater and I have two kids that aren't mature enough to sit in a seat for 1.5-2 hours meaning we need a babysitter which is not always easy to arrange, so when I go I typically want to be guaranteed an enjoyable experience, and so far the MCU films have delivered, so I consider them a safe bet.

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
Yeah, I'm pretty over it all. I think we'll see the general public start to turn on them a bit too. The DC films are already treated skeptically, MCU is often criticized for samey character arcs, and the most talked about superhero flick at the moment is a kind of post-superhero film (Logan). Not saying they're going away, but I wouldn't say that they're trending upwards.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
For the same reason I'm not sick of chips.

They're not particularly nutritious and I won't be telling my grandchildren about them, but they're light and snack-y and have enough flavour that I'll enjoy them while they last.

Oct 22, 2011
I'm not sick of them, but i'm not thrilled about them either. Things started to feel pretty samey after Avengers, with few exceptions(Winter Soldier), so MCU is on my "maybe i'll watch it someday" list.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Because they are still of decent quality? I really enjoyed the last three film, even if the formula is getting a bit samey. The charisma of the actors they get for the main roles of these long time characters keep me coming back. The villains need a lot of work, though.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
They are still better movies than what constitutes an "average" blockbuster these days. Doesn't mean the formula is any good anymore, and so I'd say I'm kinda sick of them, but I'm not above watching them given the chance (preferably in a situation where it's allowed to joke about the movie out loud). I still say the first Iron Man is the best one and the only genuinely good film out of the bunch - nevertheless most others also have their moments.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Saelune said:
Edit: I wish they would involve the Netflix stuff more. I want the Netflix heroes to get upgraded to the films (Like Luke Cage joining the Avengers, Daredevil getting it on with Black Widow, and Kingpin antagonizing Spider-Man!)
I was originally like you on this point. While I have not seen any of the Netflix stuff, I did watch Agents of SHIELD for the first three seasons. But after the third season, I stopped for several reasons. One of the big ones was what you're saying: the show had pretty much ZERO crossover with the movies. How cool would it have been to see the cast from SHIELD, or even just Agent Coulson, show up for a brief appearance on the bridge of that carrier in Age of Ultron? But as it stands, Marvel seems very happy to keep that world out of the movies, so I kind of lost interest.

But then I sat and thought about it. How confused would people who don't watch the TV show be if Coulson just showed up? "Wait, didn't he die in the other film?"
"Yeah, but the TV show explains why he's back."
"...I have to watch a whole show now?"
And I think that would end up being a problem if they started dragging in all the extra extra stuff. It starts to be less about "Hey, that's cool! I know how this and this relate!" and more of a chore. Now I have to watch this, read this, find this website, etc.
So I think it's a good thing that they're keeping the TV and movies kind of in their own bubbles.

But so far I am not sick of the movies. I like that they are continuing the story of the universe through all of them, in their own little ways, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing where this all ends.
1. The Netflix shows arent like Agents of Shield.

2. I do wish the MCU was less spread out. I wish Agents of Shield and the Cloak and Dagger show were also Netflix.

Other than that, I dont care. For one, the comics were already like that but worse. And people who arent super into the stuff might be confused by things just in the movies anyways.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I think people aren't sick of them because they've gotten so much better in quality overall. Maybe you're sick of the theme, but the general consensus these days is that they are a lot better in writing, effects, adaptation, etc.

I'm not sick of them, but then again I don't watch them all, mainly the ones with characters I actually like. Rarely, if ever have I gone just because a friend dragged me along to them, somehow our tastes align fortunately.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Jiub said:
Superhero movies got stale and wore out their welcome back in 2007, but you're discounting the fact that nerds will pay for tickets just because you put the name "Batman", "Star Wars", etc. in the title. It doesn't matter that it's always the same repackaged crap with a different director/lead actor/ costume.
As long as the fanboys keep shelling out their parents' money, these studios will keep cranking out the spam. Why do you think Disney bought the rights to Star Wars from Lucas? They're already making good on their promise to beat that franchise into the ground with movie after shitty movie from now til the sun goes out.

All you can do is not spend your money, and hope that over time enough people will start doing the same that it won't be worth it to make them anymore.
Yeah, fuck people for enjoying things.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
If you're sick of Marvel movies then...stop watching them. Crazy concept, I know.
Works for me. I'll occasionally watch one on TV to see if it's any good (you never know), but as a rule I've not found them to be.

Mind you, I'm not invested in Marvel comics, that might be part of it.

Having said that, it gets tiresome when people blather on about the cinematic masterpieces that are the MCU movies, but, meh.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Mostly because I've been catching up on movies from the 80's and 90's lately. I'd say primarily I love me some practical effects so when I see 90% CG movies I kind of lose interest. Well, never been a huge superhero person anyway.

Plus there's the whole 'Nothing worse than being middle of the road'. So really I'm not fatigued I just don't care. If I do watch them it's usually background noise while I grind in a game or something.

... Fuck I sound pretentious.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Its because they're on my wavelength. Whatever frequency they operate on, 95% of the time I've good strong signal with them. They aren't perfect by any means, though Winter Soldier and Guardians come damn close to it, but I find them consistently enjoyable.

And if DC hadn't decided to utterly screw the pooch on their own version of this concept I'd have two flavours to enjoy: if the balls up Wonder Woman's movie then WB and the broader DC cinema offerings are dead to me.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm...suitably entertained? I think that was the point... Can't really give you an answer beyond that.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Mainly because I don't pay for my movies. I always go with the family.

But also because almost every Marvel movie is a fun time. Not always an amazing or innovative or unique or even fresh experience, but a good time with the family.

And the characters. Its been almost a decade since Iron Man, as a younger person I did actually grow up with these characters. I enjoy the interactions between all these characters as well as the cast.