Why can't i play Nazi's?

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Remleiz said:
Mojave said:
We have all seen the many many MANY WWII games in which we play as either the allies or the sovjets. But why are there so few games in which i can play as the Nazi's?

The ethical/political discussion aside, war is hell, for both sides. The Allies weren't fighting demons, the Axis suffered a great deal as well. And i think it's about time we gave Hans in the trench a little bit more of a human face.
how about instead of making a game purely focused on the nazis, why not have a war game that has story modes for the Nazis, The British, The Soviets and the Americans?
It would be interesting to play a battle from both sides...
And any outrage over playing as Nazis could be deflected by pointing out that you play as all the other sides as well.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Anyone mentioned Red Orchestra yet? You even get to play as SS regiments in that.

Also the greatest WWII shooter ever made... ever!

'Stache

Apr 29, 2009
Mullahgrrl said:
Um...because Nazism is a moral abomination which mandates mass killings and violent expansionism? Because the Nazis were the clear aggressors in WWII? Because playing as a Nazi would require you to gun down Allied troops on the orders of high ranking Nazi officials?
Actually that sounds like a winning gameplay formula.
Holy shit, you're right.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Zac_Dai said:
Anyone mentioned Red Orchestra yet? You even get to play as SS regiments in that.

twice actually, but they're too busy ignoring reality to spout stuff about how they feel about nazi's.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Yeah! it should be on the wii too, and it'll be called "Auschwitz: You got Gas!" and include fun motion sensitive mini games like "stop the runner," "Enforcing Forced Labor," and "Not Really a Shower"
In all due seriousness, even if it was just a war game where you fought for the nazi side people would find it to be in bad taste.

heliosa

Jul 24, 2008
A strategy game I've come across called Blitzkrieg lets you play as the Allies, the Soviets and The Axis. Seems like a decent game for RTS fans.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
In many games you'd want to play as a character you can respect and look up to, and Nazi's well.... You get my point...

dreadmaster

Apr 12, 2009
ok i got one for you hearts of iron 2 or 3 if your are a guy with a brain of a supercomputer you pick your contyr and you pick what your contry does (yess you can kill canada) choose your teck and spies it fun but slow as hell

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Azhrarn-101 said:
Zac_Dai said:

twice actually, but they're too busy ignoring reality to spout stuff about how they feel about nazi's.
Haha yeah seems like it.

Slighty related but it does feel like some escapists knowledge of games doesn't extend any farther than AAA console titles from the big game publishers, leading to silly topics like these.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Certainly possible, I know I certainly can't claim knowledge of every title released in the last 5 years for PC, let alone cross-platform, but I may have at least heard about some of the AAA ones. :)

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Glefistus said:
The Bandit said:
Glefistus said:
Mojave said:
i think it's about time we gave Hans in the trench a little bit more of a human face.
I agree, both sides of my family fought for the Nazi regime, and media like "Inglorious Bastards" makes me want to strangle the writers, I can guarantee most of the Nazi soldiers were either indoctrinated ot did not want to fight for the regime at all, but rather were forced.
Firstly, you shut up. That movie's going to be awesome.

Secondly, and more on topic... How would you make the game? Would you emphasize the Nazis not really wanting to fight, but killing Jews anyway? It wouldn't sell. Literally and figuratively. Regardless of how you want to argue it, the troops not having a choice and the like, no one wants to play as a hypocrite. The only way it could work is if it were about the Nazis breaking away and deserting, essentially defeating the whole purpose.

Why the hell does anyone want to play as a Nazi anyway? What's the attraction?
"Firstly" and "Secondly" are not grammatically correct.

"Killing Jews anyways"? All of the concentration camps were run by the Schutzstaffel, not the Wehrmacht, and how many of those guys do you think were really enthusiastic about running that kind of place? Most of the men were kept in line for fear of punishment, my Opa almost got shot for sleeping on duty (he feigned heat stroke to avoid punishment). All I'm saying is you shouldn't dehumanize the soldiers in WWII games, because they were no different from an Allied soldier. Oh, and before you start yelling about Jews again, research a bit about Gen. Eisenhower, and what he did to Germans after the war ended.
How bad is your self-esteem that you have to correct grammar- incredibly MINOR grammar errors- in order to make yourself feel superior? You know what? Don't answer. It isn't relevant, and I really don't care.

Just to clarify: The discussion isn't whether Nazis were sweet or caring people. The discussion is why won't developers allow gamers to play as Nazis. I've explained it. You've given no counter argument as to why developers should allow gamers to play as Nazis, except "but they were HUMAN!" I will again explain the real issue again, in case you were somehow confused.

REGARDLESS of whatever excuse a Nazi soldier has for fighting, no one wants to play as a hypocrite. I'm sure many Nazi soldiers weren't happy about what was going on in the war- they still fought. They didn't have a choice, sure, but they still fought. It might be unfair to label them as such, but it doesn't change the fact that it's hypocritical. And, again, no one wants to play as a hypocrite.

Just to go ahead and get it out of the way: if you continue to ignore the real discussion, I'm not going to bother replying. In other words, if you're going to come back with all this garbage about Nazis being real humans, without even mentioning the words "video game" or "developer" then don't bother.

Axle_Bullitt_19

May 29, 2009
I want to see this happen. Hell I'm already considering becoming a renactor as a Nazi. My cousin is one already! By the way who gives a fuck if they were evil or if they were humans. It doesn't matter if its a rapest, murderer, or a nazi. I find it interesting to figure out why anyone does anything.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Not to mention the fact that doing things from a Nazi perspective could be interesting if not exactly politically correct. Consider that Hitler's people were responsible for recovering some of the greatest treasures and artworks in the world. A lot of museum collections would not be anything like what they are now if not for his ruthlessness.

Nazi fascination with The Occult does not always mean that they have to be the bad guys in that respect (summoning demons to destroy the allies). You could just as easily have secret groups of Nazis fighting against supernatural evil to protect humanity as the other side.

Understand that a massive propaganda campaign was leveled against the Nazis, a good portion of it being lies (such as the human skin lampshades). I do not inherantly consider that to be a bad thing, as during a REAL war it's important to demonize/dehumanize your enemies. However, it does mean that there is a lot of pressure built up to keep them purely as stock villains.

Basically if your going to have a Nazi who isn't a brainless stormtrooper, or a cackling villain, you had best have him as a traitor to the SS and surrounded by the brainless stormtroopers and cackling villains for the sake of comparison.

There are also games like Axis and Allies that let you play as the Nazis. However it is true up until this point that there hasn't been much done outside of a strategic level.

SlickShot

Jan 4, 2009
Baldry said:
SlickShot said:
BWAHAHAHAHAHA! No offense but whoever made this thread is an idiot. Who would market a game to play as the Nazi's during WW2? No seriously. Answer that question for me and then I'll retract my previous statement about you being a absolute idiot.
I'd market it, i'd buy it and i'd play the game, cause unlike you im not an idiot, the nazis are an untapped resource in the eco sytem of gaming.
Okay. I'll let you reread your response and then let you reply again. I'll give you a hint. It was the entire post. ;)

Marv21

Jan 1, 2009
Because we all need those guys to point the finger at and say "those are the bad guys"
-Scarface(not directly but the point was made in the movie)

EnglishMuffin

Oct 15, 2008
It won't sell in germany at all, and most game companies are just writing for the lowest common denominator. Companies are just not willing to touch on tough political and philosophical issues. They want to play it safe and the only thing close to a message is the mild prejudice between elves and dwarves. I mean when Fallout 3 gets an award for outstanding writing you know there is a problem in the game industry.