why can't people think about Muggle Cannibalism in any Setting with Superpowers?

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
Drathnoxis said:
Masonicon said:
Asita said:
Why would this even be a thing?
either TVtropes logic of People that Eats people more of a normal person than anyone with superpowers
Maybe you are looking for the Cannibalism Superpower TVTropes page?
no, I just talking about Normal Human Cannibals sharing the world with any (sapient) Superpowered beings

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Masonicon said:
Drathnoxis said:
Masonicon said:
Asita said:
either TVtropes logic of People that Eats people more of a normal person than anyone with superpowers
no, I just talking about Normal Human Cannibals sharing the world with any Superpowered beings
Hmm, well from video games I've played there are a couple of examples that contains both superpowered beings and cannibalism.

Fallout 3: The player character can be a cannibal and there's also a group of cannibals you run into as part of a sidequest. The superpowers are kind of limited to stuff like super strong mutants, radioactive ghouls that live forever, androids.

Sunless Sea: you can be a cannibal, and there are other groups of cannibals that you run into that are part of stories. The superpowered beings consist of mostly Lovecraftian horrors beyond comprehension.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
people(particularly Tropers) pretending people that eats (other) people being Normals never existed in any Setting with Superpowers (at least outside paper) was the reason there's no fanworks that includes Happy Tree Friends and Warhammer 40k into the mix, even when it's Mega-crossover regardless it's size

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I don't know if it's because I'm tired, but I've re-read that first post multiple times and it makes less sense each time.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
Drathnoxis said:
Masonicon said:
Drathnoxis said:
Masonicon said:
Asita said:
no, I just talking about Normal Human Cannibals sharing the world with any Superpowered beings
Hmm, well from video games I've played there are a couple of examples that contains both superpowered beings and cannibalism.

Fallout 3: The player character can be a cannibal and there's also a group of cannibals you run into as part of a sidequest. The superpowers are kind of limited to stuff like super strong mutants, radioactive ghouls that live forever, androids.

Sunless Sea: you can be a cannibal, and there are other groups of cannibals that you run into that are part of stories. The superpowered beings consist of mostly Lovecraftian horrors beyond comprehension.
more examples of these?

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Masonicon said:
Drathnoxis said:
Masonicon said:
Drathnoxis said:
Masonicon said:
Asita said:

more examples of these?
You might want to look through the TV Tropes page I'm A Humanitarian for more examples. A quick skim shows me that Buffy the Vampire Slayer had a couple episodes involving cannibals.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Edgar Rice Burroughs has his heroes (which are often borderline superheroes) run into cannibals every so often.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Masonicon said:
Drathnoxis said:
Masonicon said:
Asita said:
no, I just talking about Normal Human Cannibals sharing the world with any (sapient) Superpowered beings
"Normal" human cannibals wouldn't last long because eating your own kind is not a good thing biologically. Long term it will kill you, and drive you insane, which is why it's taboo in just about every culture still in existence, though a lot of cultures attribute it to some god being frowning on you eating the flesh of your own kind. But the reality is that the people who did it, started to act batshit crazy and start dying, so yokels from the bronze age attributed it to "being smote by the gods" or whatnot. Because that's what they always did back then.

The reality is that the act of eating your own species flesh (at least for humans, not sure about other animals, though most do have a tendency to avoid their own kind's carcasses), exposes you to some...I forget what exactly, some enzymes, or whatever, found in your body, that once you ingest them, they start to build up in your body. The more you eat, the more they start destroying your body and mind, to the point that you die.

So, there wouldn't be a LONG duration coexistence in this weird Superpowers/Cannibal dichotomy you have presented. At least if that is what you are actually saying. Because your posts are borderline unintelligible word salad.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
how about (normal human) Cannibalism as acceptable modus operandi to wipe out all Superpowered beings?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Happyninja42 said:
The reality is that the act of eating your own species flesh (at least for humans, not sure about other animals, though most do have a tendency to avoid their own kind's carcasses), exposes you to some...I forget what exactly, some enzymes, or whatever, found in your body, that once you ingest them, they start to build up in your body. The more you eat, the more they start destroying your body and mind, to the point that you die.
Hrrmmm, that might have to do with the lack of information we have on how to properly cook & prepare (for obvious reasons).

Cannibalism is massively taboo, so there's no real research into preparation/ safety/ cooking etc. So when it is practised, its more dangerous. I'm sure if eating pork were so taboo that our species hadn't practised or researched how to prepare it properly, then eating it would be much more dangerous too.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Silvanus said:
Happyninja42 said:
Hrrmmm, that might have to do with the lack of information we have on how to properly cook & prepare (for obvious reasons).

Cannibalism is massively taboo, so there's no real research into preparation/ safety/ cooking etc. So when it is practised, its more dangerous. I'm sure if eating pork were so taboo that our species hadn't practised or researched how to prepare it properly, then eating it would be much more dangerous too.
I think the main danger he's talking about is Kuru. Looking at the Wikipedia page, it's caused by improperly folded proteins and is similar to mad cow disease, which can also spread to humans. The scary thing is, according to Wikipedia "Normal sterilization procedures such as boiling or irradiating materials fail to render prions non-infective."

I don't know if eating humans is really more or less dangerous than eating animals, but if you are eating humans who die of their own accord rather than slaughtering animals for food, you are more likely to catch a disease that killed them. Especially if you bury them for a couple days and dig them up and serve the maggots as side dishes like the Fore people of Papau, New Guinea did.

Masonicon said:
how about (normal human) Cannibalism as acceptable modus operandi to wipe out all Superpowered beings?
In Nethack, eating dangerous creatures that like to revive from the dead is a pretty good strategy, though strictly you'll stay away from cannibalism unless you are a Caveman or an Orc.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is another game I played recently that gives an option to take the 'cannibal' perk. Though I hardly ever run into other human survivors. Maybe if you turned on random NPCs you come across more.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Are we talking about normal people eating eachother?

No Zombies?
No Vampires?
No Werewolves?
No Demons?

Explain? Details? Please?