Why can't we like things without ruining it? Rick and Morty x McDonalds.

Sep 24, 2008
I'm not a fan of the show. I never watched it. I've stopped watching tv a long time ago, and it never came into my sights until rabid fans descended and immediately turned me off about it.

Recently [http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41543636], McDonald's took a mention of their sauce that was made for a tie in with the theatrical release of Mulan and ran with it, releasing a limited edition run of the sauce for one day, October the seventh.

It led to Angry crowds of one thousand plus yelling "We Want Sauce" [https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/08/police-called-after-mcdonalds-rick-and-morty-promotion-heats-up]. Police had to come to disperse the crowd.

What is it with people? Why... I don't have the words. Well, I do, but I hate dropping the "Entitled" card. I literally just don't understand behavior like this. It paints you, your fellow fans, and what you supposed revere in such a negative light that you're actively ruining what you love.

This isn't protesting war mongering, this isn't asking for equal rights, this isn't bringing up unsafe working conditions. This was a one time sauce deal that created more unrest around this nation than any unjust killing has all year.

Stuff like this makes me feel that social inanity weighs more on the collective conscious of this society than the lives of others. It is a horrible feeling and I wish to be wrong.

But barring those feelings and removing this last part from Rick and Morty (who is blameless for the actions of some of their fan base). What is it with the general lack of maturity of things we're fans of, regardless of what it is? I won't say "nowadays". I'm sure it happened when I was a kid, but I was still developing as a social minded creature that I wasn't aware of it as much as I am now. But really, why do certain segments of fan bases allow themselves to paint them, their faultless fellow members of the same fan base, and what they supposedly covet ugly due to deplorable reactions over nothing occurrences?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Dont blame Rick and Morty for the evil of humanity.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I can't believe these idiots didn't realize their meme sauce was going to have a wider promotion in a few months anyway (seriously we all knew it was happening, and then they officially announced it).

Oh well, I wonder how much money that guy who was charging people 10$ to dip a single nugget once into the meme sauce made. Wonder if it was worth it (probably wasn't).

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Don't let stupid people turn you off Rick and Morty, I watched it for the first time just a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

As for your last question, mob mentality pretty much. 1 on 1, people can be ok, even downright understandable, but as a group? We're horrible, simple minded creatures following the loudest voice.

Jan 27, 2011
Oh man I heard about this. I'm just laughing at the pileup of insanity.

I wonder how many of those people think they're "smart" purely because they watch the show?

DeadProxy said:
As for your last question, mob mentality pretty much. 1 on 1, people can be ok, even downright understandable, but as a group? We're horrible, simple minded creatures following the loudest voice.
To Quote Deus Ex: "A crowd has the mental age of a 5 year old".

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Smithnikov said:
LowTierGod/DarksydePhil fans.
Those sociopaths have fans? Like people who genuinely admire them, not people who enjoy watching them wallow in their shit?

Sep 24, 2008
Smithnikov said:
Wellp, this fandom just rocketed up to the likes of soccer fans, DaddyofFive fans, and LowTierGod/DarksydePhil fans.
I still don't know why LowTierGod is even talked about. I literally don't. Everything I've ever seen about him was him getting bodied by EVERYONE who plays him.

Didn't he have match where he raged over a 12 year old beating him?

Oh, it was a 14 year old [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH0QaxoIMP8]. So that's better...

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I could say I'm surprised but I'm not. This seems to be the only way to prove you are a real fan.

I'm impressed that McDonald reacted so quickly. It was Ep 5 right? So just over a month ago and they already got some in production. But let's not focus on that, let's focus on the fact I don't have a packet in my hands right now. Capitalism can do lots of things but it's not that quick

EDIT: Rick is a known liar and, I can't believe I have to say this, a fictional character. Getting hyped over fictional stuff is rickdiculous.

Feb 7, 2016
It's a decent show. And I like it enough that I'm not going to let this kind of thing sway me from watching it.
The only way this could negatively impact me is if people start judging me for watching it, but I don't talk to anyone anyway, nor do I bring up stuff I like randomly in conversation.

If someone asks me if I like the show, I'll say yes and maybe we'll talk a bit about it. I can walk away at any time though.
And if they judge me for liking the show after asking me out of the blue, then it's clear they're just looking for a target to shit on.

I can't fathom this kind of thing though. There are things I like. There are things I like a lot. The things I like a lot I usually buy a neat figure of for my shelf, or I'll wear a t-shirt. I can't remember the last time I liked something enough to stand in line for it though. If it ain't on Amazon to ship directly to my fat ass in my chair, then I guess I'll have to pass. Oh well. The show is still there whether I have something related to it or not.

There's this sub culture of "I'm a bigger fan than you!", and it's something I thought was lost in 8th grade. I guess not. We're all just giant children except we have to pay taxes and get a job.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Well, anything that tanks the reputation of that stupid show is aces for me, but I'd prefer that it didn't escalate to require police dispersal.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
It doesn't surprise me. Not that I hate Rick and Morty, not particulary strongly at least, but let's be honest here, the show is pretty douchy. What else am I supposed to take from Rick and the way the show treats him other than "You can act like an obnoxious, drunk fratboy and still be treated as the biggest badass around as long as you're smart". It's not very surprising that it would attract people who'd act like obnoxious, drunk fratboys and thing they're hot shit.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
PsychedelicDiamond said:
It doesn't surprise me. Not that I hate Rick and Morty, not particulary strongly at least, but let's be honest here, the show is pretty douchy. What else am I supposed to take from Rick and the way the show treats him other than "You can act like an obnoxious, drunk fratboy and still be treated as the biggest badass around as long as you're smart". It's not very surprising that it would attract people who'd act like obnoxious, drunk fratboys and thing they're hot shit.
I think too many people, both fans and haters, think Rick is supposed to be a role model. He isnt. Its Morty who people are supposed to relate to, not Rick.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Dansen said:
Smithnikov said:
LowTierGod/DarksydePhil fans.
Those sociopaths have fans? Like people who genuinely admire them, not people who enjoy watching them wallow in their shit?
Check their patreons. They not only have fans, they have fans who actually part with their money for their sake.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Saelune said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I think too many people, both fans and haters, think Rick is supposed to be a role model. He isnt. Its Morty who people are supposed to relate to, not Rick.
It ain't happenen though...

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Rick and Morty is hit and miss for me. I'm a big fan of comedies that throw a pathos curve ball every now and then - particularly at the finale of an arc or season. Look at, "All in the Family," which is, in my opinion simultaneously one of the funniest and most meaningful sitcoms ever made. I love Venture Brothers on Adult Swim as well for being a comedy that also explores its characters past the point of being 2D walking gags.

Rick and Morty has some of that too, and in the second season I saw it peaking through - something I appreciated - but then it will turn around and invalidate all that character building for a cheap laugh or some other twist.

My largest complaint is with Rick and how it seems as though the writers aren't sure whether to make him a suffering genius whose callousness and aggression are outlets for his personal struggles or a rough and edgy voice of reason who constantly shames all the idiots surrounding him - an archetype that reeks of self-insertion. Take the end of season two for instance: Rick forces his family to give up everything, and his force of will is so strong that they just follow him, at times showing cult-like obedience; then it seems like he realizes what he's done to them and decides to sacrifice himself, for once committing a selfless act. Only season three begins with a big, "Fuck you! Did you actually think Rick would do something like that? LOL!"

I'm not against master plans (unless they become so complicated that I can't follow them or are ridden with plot holes), but why waste all the emotional impact of the season two finale? They could have even had Rick explain in some angry, drunken tirade that he didn't destroy the government for any ideological reasons but because he'd finally been pushed past the breaking point when his boring family whom he wanted to stay boring i.e. safe had been threatened and forced on the run. It could have been for them and not him. It could have been what Birdperson had alluded to when saying that Rick used to be a great freedom fighter, but no we just got Rick being the smartest guy in the universe again and sticking it to The Man with his punk attitude and super genius, ending with a joke. There's also the absurdity of characters always coming to Rick's defense. I didn't just appreciate the season two finale for that bit of thoughtfulness but also because for once Rick had lost and wasn't able to gloat in victory. I'm sick of him being an actual sociopath with little to no outward signs of empathy and constantly being rewarded for it.

That brings me to the fans. I made a similar post about my issues with the season three premiere elsewhere, and I got a barrage of infantile responses informing me that Rick was too smart for emotions, that Rick and Morty was too cool a show to get emotional, that I was stupid for expecting Rick to ever be selfless, and of course that I was just stupid or weak for caring about emotional content on TV to begin with. If the show's staff didn't intentionally or subconsciously write Rick to appeal to people with superiority complexes then I would be massively surprised because they've done a damn good job cultivating a fandom of self-important edgelords with inflated senses of intelligence. Rick's character coupled with the meaningless violence which has become so typical of Adult Swim makes me feel that the show is geared toward a 6th-10th grade demographic.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
PsychedelicDiamond said:
There have been other shows starring questionable "heroes" that don't spur this type of toxicity in the fanbase though. I think this is just another case of something becoming very popular very quickly, resulting in an obnoxious fanbase. We saw it with Portal, My Little Pony, Undertale, and now Rick and Morty. Triple points of said show/game/movie is considered "intelligent".

OT: Guess I'm kinda glad I stopped watching the show midway season 2. I'm developing a weird aversion to the 'clever/continuing storyline/theory crafting' cartoon anyway.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Saelune said:
Dont blame Rick and Morty for the evil of humanity.
No, don't, but you have to admit if one TV show was a manifestation of everything that is wrong and evil about humanity, it would be Rick and Morty.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It just make me wonder if Justin would take better cared before unintentionally promote a company brand. I mean to communicating with them beforehand. Maybe he would make Rick break the 4th wall as usual but to say not to act like a total douche toward the Mc Donal staffs but that is highly unlikely.