Why can't we like things without ruining it? Rick and Morty x McDonalds.

Wrex Brogan

New member
Jan 28, 2016
803
0
0
...I mean, I feel like we should've been expecting this kinda thing to happen, unless everyone forgot the fan response to Fight Club. Works of satire that mock a specific section of society are always going to have the people they mock as part of the fandom, who then engage in idiocy like... this, because they latch onto the character but miss the whole point of the show.
 

hermes

New member
Mar 2, 2009
3,865
0
0
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Saelune said:
Dont blame Rick and Morty for the evil of humanity.
No, don't, but you have to admit if one TV show was a manifestation of everything that is wrong and evil about humanity, it would be Rick and Morty.
You could have a point, but then I remember every MTV reality TV show and the Kardashians have several still running shows...
 

hermes

New member
Mar 2, 2009
3,865
0
0
ObsidianJones said:
What is it with people? Why... I don't have the words. Well, I do, but I hate dropping the "Entitled" card. I literally just don't understand behavior like this. It paints you, your fellow fans, and what you supposed revere in such a negative light that you're actively ruining what you love.
I think the "entitled" card is quite justified here. It is thrown around a lot, but don't be afraid to call a spade a spade.
 

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
4,789
1
0
Well, that is so very, very dumb.

Sigh, and here I was hoping I wouldn't have to say that today. Had a good feeling about it too.
 

wizzy555

New member
Oct 14, 2010
637
0
0
hermes said:
ObsidianJones said:
What is it with people? Why... I don't have the words. Well, I do, but I hate dropping the "Entitled" card. I literally just don't understand behavior like this. It paints you, your fellow fans, and what you supposed revere in such a negative light that you're actively ruining what you love.
I think the "entitled" card is quite justified here. It is thrown around a lot, but don't be afraid to call a spade a spade.
Is this genuine entitlement or ironic (but none the less crappy) overreaction in some sort of homage to Rick?
 

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
4,953
6
13
What you've got 'ere is ya classic case of mob mentality combined with the overexcited self-oblivious nature of American young boys who seem rather validated in their fandom of Rick and Morty who think that everything they do together must therefore be funny and intelligent because what they so dearly have bonded together over is considered funny and intelligent by enough of the 'right' people that they cannot be wrong, no matter how entitled they want to act over limited edition sauce from a throwaway line in one episode.

It's sort of like the 'cake' syndrome of Portal if any outlet ever decided to think it a good idea to market a limited edition of said 'cake' and kinda really meant the 'limited' part. You'd see the same childish group behaviour.
I'll add Fight Club groups to the list also. And Apple fans that camp overnight for the next phone, because, seriously....dude....what the fuck is with that? What the fuck is wrong with you? Are you hypnotised that easily by marketing?

To be honest though, the police were called to what, one outlet in the US? Is this really worth denouncing the whole show and fandom? I know many who love the show and they don't give a shit about the sauce, acting like a twat in public or even pushing their love of the series onto others. Maybe online or US takeaway stores are a different story for fandoms, I don't know, tend to avoid those places.
[small]Admittedly, it really is irritating when specific fans with no imagination or sense of humour feel the need to parrot quotes from their favourite entertainment together, like a compulsive instinctual reaction. It reminds me of looking after cockerels, the annoying dumb fucks. At least with those, the authorities don't care if you kill and eat them. And when Rick started pushing a certain 'catchphrase,' all I could sense sadly were a thousand future cockerels latching onto it for no other reason than because they were told to.[/small]
 
Oct 22, 2011
1,223
0
0
I'll chalk it up under another fandom growing too much in a too small span of time and contacting cancer.
aegix drakan said:
I wonder how many of those people think they're "smart" purely because they watch the show?
To be honest, you need a high IQ to rage over meme mcgnugget sauce.
wizzy555 said:
hermes said:
ObsidianJones said:
What is it with people? Why... I don't have the words. Well, I do, but I hate dropping the "Entitled" card. I literally just don't understand behavior like this. It paints you, your fellow fans, and what you supposed revere in such a negative light that you're actively ruining what you love.
I think the "entitled" card is quite justified here. It is thrown around a lot, but don't be afraid to call a spade a spade.
Is this genuine entitlement or ironic (but none the less crappy) overreaction in some sort of homage to Rick?
It's moronic either way. Perhaps even moreso the latter.
 

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
1,761
266
88
Country
US
From what I understand, McDonald's kind of fucked up this promotion from a logistical standpoint. Most participating outlets got less than 2 dozen of the sauce in total and there were a bunch of locations that were advertised as participating but had no stock whatsoever.

Yeah people went nuts, and yeah let's laugh at the idiots, but this really was a logistical mess on McDonald's side.
 

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
4,419
0
0
Saelune said:
Dont blame Rick and Morty for the evil of humanity.
I think im well within my right to blame (or credit) R&M for exposing it though.
 

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
1,050
0
0
I've been a fan of the show since before anyone knew what it was (yes, I was that guy, telling everyone about how funny it was) but this shit needs to end. Like, c'mon man. This is embarrassing as fuck, guys. [https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/10/16454458/szechuan-sauce-ebay-rick-and-morty]

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a fanbase go this off the rails so quickly.

Smithnikov said:
It ain't happenen though...

I saw this earlier and I dunno if this was staged or not but even if like, half of these reports are fake, the poor counter jockeys still don't get paid nearly enough to deal with this kind of juvenile garbage all day. Your pranks are at the cost of a tiny bit of some dude's soul.

Anyway, the third season was a bit too hit or miss for me and there wasn't enough comeuppance for certain characters so I don't know if I can keep watching after all this drama. We'll see what season 4 has in store, I guess. Probably give it a couple episodes and if things don't improve I'll just watch something else.
 

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
8,045
3,485
118
Country
United Kingdom
PsychedelicDiamond said:
What else am I supposed to take from Rick and the way the show treats him other than "You can act like an obnoxious, drunk fratboy and still be treated as the biggest badass around as long as you're smart".
You can take quite a bit else from it-- such as the intended message, for instance-- if you watched it much.
 

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
8,411
16
23
hermes said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Saelune said:
Dont blame Rick and Morty for the evil of humanity.
No, don't, but you have to admit if one TV show was a manifestation of everything that is wrong and evil about humanity, it would be Rick and Morty.
You could have a point, but then I remember every MTV reality TV show and the Kardashians have several still running shows...
Was gonna say basically this.
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
17,478
1,699
118
People lamenting the evil/dumbness of humanity like this stupid phenomenon isn't entirely localized in America.
 
Sep 24, 2008
2,461
0
0
Xsjadoblayde said:
To be honest though, the police were called to what, one outlet in the US? Is this really worth denouncing the whole show and fandom? I know many who love the show and they don't give a shit about the sauce, acting like a twat in public or even pushing their love of the series onto others. Maybe online or US takeaway stores are a different story for fandoms, I don't know, tend to avoid those places.
I shied away from the show due to the rabid fan base before this whole incident, like I said before.

Also, police activity was in several locations in America. La Brea, Cali [https://la.eater.com/2017/10/9/16448332/mcdonalds-mulan-szechwan-sauce-rick-morty-riot-police] was the one that had the biggest numbers, at least a thousand. That turned physical. UPenn [http://uproxx.com/tv/rick-and-morty-szechuan-sauce-mcdonalds-limited-event/3/] had police order over loud speaker that they didn't have sauce any more and return home, while the NYC lines were frankly ridiculous. Wellington Fl [http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/local/new-customers-get-saucy-police-called-wellington-mcdonald/cuySG4WEFuhGPJQk0fP69J/] had cops come to officiate crowd dispersal when fans got too angry.

However, the question isn't "Is it really worth denouncing the whole show and fandom". The question is how can the fans not have the wherewithal to realize they more than likely actively damaged what they love.

We have politicians being 'outraged' that we dare talk about climate change after back to back cripplingly devastating hurricanes and now wildfires on the lighter side, several football players taking a knee is figuratively tearing this nation apart on the medium side, to a maniac's actions being used to erode a part of the constitution on the heavier side. This global climate can be summed up by "Overreaction Triggered".

Any distasteful action that can be attributed to a group will usually be used by the masses in order to paint that group as a whole. Mob think is a nice way of saying weakness. Everyone had a choice to make and some did it right. I applaud those people. But sadly, we live in this society. Where it doesn't matter how well you do something or how great a person you are, it only matters if the fringes of the same group you identify with does something wrong. Then the whole group is treated with the same suspicion.
 

McMarbles

New member
May 7, 2009
1,566
0
0
Dansen said:
Smithnikov said:
LowTierGod/DarksydePhil fans.
Those sociopaths have fans? Like people who genuinely admire them, not people who enjoy watching them wallow in their shit?
Have you heard of this thing called the "Internet"?
 

RaikuFA

New member
Jun 12, 2009
4,370
0
0

This was made last friday, the day before saucemaggedon. It can be applied to any fandom known for their obsessive fans like Steven Universe, Undertale, Homestuck or League of Legends.
 

Benpasko

New member
Jul 3, 2011
498
0
0
Saelune said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I think too many people, both fans and haters, think Rick is supposed to be a role model. He isnt. Its Morty who people are supposed to relate to, not Rick.
Exactly. "Smart" Rick and Morty fans don't realize that the show is calling them stupid assholes. Rick is a stupid asshole. He may be the 'smartest man in the multiverse', but he's a total dick who regularly gets shown up by people with actual wisdom. And instead of doing anything that makes him happy, he spends all of his time wallowing in misery so he can feel smart.

It's Fight Club all over again.

I'm not gonna lie, I don't know if I could restrain myself from punching one of these R&M fans in the dick if I was a McDonald's employee and they were climbing on the counter and screeching at me. Treat them just like their hero would.
 

KaraFang

New member
Aug 3, 2015
197
0
0
Yes, but as a UK person who never had the chance to TRY this legendary sauce... we're missing the big point here and focusing on the crazy riots.

There is a far, far more important question.

What DOES it taste like?
 

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
8,411
16
23
KaraFang said:
Yes, but as a UK person who never had the chance to TRY this legendary sauce... we're missing the big point here and focusing on the crazy riots.

There is a far, far more important question.

What DOES it taste like?
(I dont actually know either)