Why couldn't Lara get a jacket or coat from her fallen enemies?

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Richfeet said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Because there will most likely be blood on it.

I mean, would you wear something that has blood on it that isn't yours?

Kinda weird really.
Then why not wash it in the river? That will clean the blood off.
Now it's a wet coat. Coats take forever to dry. And they never feel as nice afterwards. :(

Lara needs to find a good dry-cleaners.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I'm surprised people think her outfit has been done for sex appeal I thought it was pretty practical and iconic.

But then again I'm female so I probably just see a tank top...as an ordinary tank top :/

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Richfeet said:
I mean, the poor dear was all chilled to the bone. All those enemies had nice, warm coats. She could have taken one.
Don't bring logic into Tomb Raider.

You may as well ask why she flips between horrified, vulnerable child who can barely force herself to violence and the angel of head shot death every five minutes.

Logic isn't present, now look at the tittays.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Richfeet said:
I mean, the poor dear was all chilled to the bone. All those enemies had nice, warm coats. She could have taken one.
Don't bring logic into Tomb Raider.

You may as well ask why she flips between horrified, vulnerable child who can barely force herself to violence and the angel of head shot death every five minutes.

Logic isn't present, now look at the tittays.
The narrative team actually wanted the player to go longer without having a gun but the gameplay guys said nay.

Also there is more to women than their tits. Mind blowing I know.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Not for Lara Croft.

Her entire existence can be boiled down to use boobs to sell video games, which explains a large part of the disconnect between the vulnerable (#ahem) womanly Croft in cutscenes and skinny Marcus Fenix in game play (actually, her moves are even more violent than Fenix, he needs a chainsaw to eviscerate people).

She's never going to be more than a thing to hang the boobs off, as opposed to say, female Shepard, The Boss or even Alyx Vance.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Not for Lara Croft.

Her entire existence can be boiled down to use boobs to sell video games, which explains a large part of the disconnect between the vulnerable (#ahem) womanly Croft in cutscenes and skinny Marcus Fenix in game play.

She's never going to be more than a thing to hang the boobs off, as opposed to say, female Shepard, The Boss or even Alyx Vance.
As someone who played the original when they came out I can tell you, you are completely wrong.

It was the wider media (magazines, newspapers etc) that drew attention to her body not the games developers, who legitimately wanted to make her badass
Her character in the first games isn't pandering whatsoever.

Lara Croft was always a great female character in her games. Her representation in the media was a completely different person.

Also she's only 'vulnerable' for a very short time at the beginning of the game which you would know if you had played it.

knight steel said:
Did you say JACKET

But which one would she wear?
Comment of the day.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Because then the coat would try to rape her to!
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Because there will most likely be blood on it.

I mean, would you wear something that has blood on it that isn't yours?

Kinda weird really.
Uhhhh yeah
It's a jacket, not a hypodermic needle
Ah yes, but if she is wounded (or if something else in the game tries to rape her, christ) while wearing said blood soaked coat, blood could mix and she could get very sick. You never know what all these shady people are into, she could get Hepatitis.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
TrilbyWill said:
Probably because they'd be soaking wet from all the rain.
WickedFire said:
A jacket could potentially be impractical, given all the climbing, ziplining and diving around she has to do. Without a tight fitting, relatively slim jacket she would be risking catching it on something and plunging to her death.
This too.
And men's jackets generally don't work as tight-fitting women's jackets. What with the different body types and all.
Kendale Anderson said:
That and the programmers probably didn't want to program her getting a new jacket every time one got ripped.
Which is yet another thing: the jackets would probably already have bullet holes in them, or holes/rips from the arrows.
that pretty much, I guess this is a joke thread. But I really feel people are trying their very hardest to find misogyny and voyeurism that isn't there. She is young, in shape, practically dressed women. Hell she's wearing long trousers and isn't showing her mid section, by stereotypical video game standards she is practically a nun.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Rblade said:
TrilbyWill said:
Probably because they'd be soaking wet from all the rain.
WickedFire said:
A jacket could potentially be impractical, given all the climbing, ziplining and diving around she has to do. Without a tight fitting, relatively slim jacket she would be risking catching it on something and plunging to her death.
This too.
And men's jackets generally don't work as tight-fitting women's jackets. What with the different body types and all.
Kendale Anderson said:
That and the programmers probably didn't want to program her getting a new jacket every time one got ripped.
Which is yet another thing: the jackets would probably already have bullet holes in them, or holes/rips from the arrows.
that pretty much, I guess this is a joke thread. But I really feel people are trying their very hardest to find misogyny and voyeurism that isn't there. She is young, in shape, practically dressed women. Hell she's wearing long trousers and isn't showing her mid section, by stereotypical video game standards she is practically a nun.
It kind of explains why some guys think that every girl who games on camera is an attention whore. What with her normal clothes on she is just attention seeking lulz. xD

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Because of the above reasons, and:
Some people aren't exactly excited to wear a dead mans jacket, possibly with bullet holes and blood you're responsible for. Me? I'd be fine with that given said people are assholes trying to kill me.

m19

Jun 13, 2012
I'm surprised people think her outfit has been done for sex appeal I thought it was pretty practical and iconic.

But then again I'm female so I probably just see a tank top...as an ordinary tank top :/
I don't think it was done for sex appeal. But you can't deny sex appeal is part of the character design. Her outfit is practical and tastefully complimentary to her figure.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States

Her character design obviously had sex appeal in mind, but yeah... she's got realistic (if not ideal) proportions and wears a pretty standard tank-top. She has a tasteful design imo. People are just overreacting because she still gives guys boners.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
As someone who played the original when they came out I can tell you, you are completely wrong.
I was there too, I'm completely right.

Her appearance stemmed from an artist moving a slider too far, resulting in, y'know.
Said artist was then forbidden from changing it back, because they'd sell more games and garner more attention with big boobs. Toby Gard ended up leaving Core in frustration because of the way Lara's image was cultivated.

Even from before the first game's release the idea of the capable badass was getting undermined by the use tits, sell more games attitude.

m19

Jun 13, 2012
fix-the-spade said:
Not for Lara Croft.

Her entire existence can be boiled down to use boobs to sell video games, which explains a large part of the disconnect between the vulnerable (#ahem) womanly Croft in cutscenes and skinny Marcus Fenix in game play (actually, her moves are even more violent than Fenix, he needs a chainsaw to eviscerate people).

That's imo a load of crap. Her new characterization is pretty good.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
I was there too, I'm completely right.

Her appearance stemmed from an artist moving a slider too far, resulting in, y'know.
Said artist was then forbidden from changing it back, because they'd sell more games and garner more attention with big boobs. Toby Gard ended up leaving Core in frustration because of the way Lara's image was cultivated.

Even from before the first game's release the idea of the capable badass was getting undermined by the use tits, sell more games attitude.
To me Lara seemed like a badass and someone to look up too the way she looked didn't matter to me. I guess maybe you thought of her differently.

I'd agree that her character became more sexualised in the later games resulting in a degradation of the series but at least the first 3 portrayed her as capable and more than just boobs on legs.

She's certainly much more than that in this recent installment.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
SadisticFire said:
Well I can't help but see all the "programming" issues. It would take hardly any time to program, just switch this model, to a different model. The real work is on the animators. Just sayin'.
That said, it's cause it would probably ruin the flow of the game, and then the modelers and animators have to animate it.
Oh dear, I hope you're not serious...

IMO it's just a matter of
"Hey, how about Lara put some warmer clothes on?"
"But... but... where r da boobiez den?"
"Um... welll... sorta... dammit! Forget it."
Ickorus said:
Because programming something like that in would take time and money and ultimately there would be no real use for it beyond playing dress-up unless they wanted to spend even more time and money adding in the new mechanics for why she might want to change her clothes.

But that explanation makes too much sense so it must be because the devs are sexists who wanted Lara to be little more than eye-candy for the misogynist horde of privileged white male gamers.
Errr... why would there need to be an entire new gameplay mechanic? Why would there be need for any new animation beyond the basic movement of the fabric? And what would they need to program? Just have Lara carry some jacket from a random enemy in the game. Okay, maybe they need to make it more detailed and model it separately, but that hardly seems like the 7 tasks of Hercules. The devs could have just made a cutscene in which Lara puts on a jacket and have her carry the same jacket for the whole game.