Why did you join the forums?

LordFeast59

Dec 11, 2014
I kinda joined a long time ago but for some reason my internet have been formatted and I forgot my password. So I have to do a new account. By the way, I join because The Escapist forum seems to be the most active and interesting one when compare to other forums in my book and I'm not interested on the internet for the sole purpose of JUST forum.

The Escapist forum keeps glowing in front of the page and attracted me to it, with all those main titles. People kept going to discuss and stuff, usually things that I am interested and needed to comment just to fill up my satisfaction.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Well if we're being honest technically I'm ban jumping but my original account was banned years ago and under different staffing and ownership so I figure it doesn't count.

I joined mostly because I was bored, didn't use Reddit at the time, was at work so couldn't use 4chan and fancied something to do. Originally I joined because of Zero Punctuation.

DizzyChuggernaut said:
The impression I had from the forum was that it was civil, brought up interesting points and discussed the video/news material the site publishes that I was already a fan of (I even liked Moviebob at one point).
Moviebob used to be excellent, his early Game Overthinkers are legitimately very good videos with plenty of considered nuance. They're one of the few series of videos I've ever watched which actually put forward a point, argue it and leave room for disagreement. With that in mind the current tone of his opinion videos is baffling, what changed?

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
I just joined because other people i knew online were also members of here. think it was safe to say that no comics, articles or videos had any involvement in me joining. though in the past i would've cared for Critical Miss, but they've gone....weird since Erin started seeing hallucinations, otherwise it's just unusual subplot arc after another, or the general gaming journalism it seems to poke at.

when CM went all Fight Club/Donnie Darko with Erin having a boyfriend (who turned out to be hallucinated Link?), with some sort of pseudo-suicide social...thing, didn't really fit into the plot. even if they tried too hard to shoehorn the whole escapism=bad thing
and this all came about because people thought it was just going to be an E3/Zelda celebration...that wasn't the case then just drawn out. said spoiler didn't even resolve the hallucinations since they still appear and she almost attacked another person with a Knife.

Probably safe to say i didn't care about Extra Credits or Jimquisition, even when they used to be on the site.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Mr.Mage said:
Hey escapists, new person for forums in general here and thought this was a good first topic. So pretty much what the title says why did you join? I signed on because I've been lurking round these forums for a while and thought it was pretty cool. Also if you got any tips for these forums they'd be appreciated.
Like most of the others here: Came here for Zero Punctuation, stayed for the remaining content, joined to throw my two cents in on what others were talking about.

Hopefully, you have a fun time here, Mr.Mage! Just...don't press the red buttons. Trust me on this one...

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
I was watching a show a few years ago called Review with Extreme Prejudice, something I just stumbled across which my friends and I really enjoyed. In the comment section, someone accused the creator of stealing Yahtzee's schtick. Curious, I googled him and found this site and have been a viewer ever since. I decided to join almost exactly 4 years ago, so I'd be in the last year of high school, but I had been lurking before that. I've become a lot more active recently, though it likely won't last.

My 1st post is one I'm not very proud of, but I would like to note that I posted it on the 30th of December, 2011. The previous comment was made on the 3rd of October, 2009. I think the laws of necroing are a bit harsh and old threads are basically landmines for newcomers to step on.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I was a lurker watching Zero Punctuation for a few months, and then when Gamergate kicked off I thought I might as well join properly.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I'd lurked for a while, visiting the site primarily for Zero Punctuation. And while I don't recall exactly what it was that compelled me to join the forums, I do recall my first post. It was for a "Favorite VG music" thread.

I'd actually had the account for at least a month before posting. I was a little shy back then and wasn't sure how the community reacted to new posters.

Thankfully, I found the community to be fairly welcoming, with only a few exceptions, as well as (mostly) rational and level-headed.

I've seen the community have it's ups and downs over the years. Some more severe than others. But, through it all, most of the decent people remained.

Sadly, many have left as well, but at the same time the community's gained quite a few new posters, many of whom are just fantastic people.

In short, The Escapist can be an infuriating and depressing community sometimes, but at it's best it's a great place to be. I'm glad I've stuck with it for more than seven years.

DizzyChuggernaut said:
I, for one, am glad you stayed. I found many of your comments and observations on the recent controversies and the topics therein to be quite insightful.

It's always nice to see more reasoned, rational voices speaking up on this forum.

Casual Shinji said:
snip the sequel
You'll always have us, Shinji. Picture us all as a collective of cuddly bears wearing nerdy t-shirts.

Just, you know....keep in mind that some of us are a bit more cynical than others...

Zhukov said:
snip the third
You? Saying something like that?

Never! Not our Zhukov. He would never speak to someone with such a tone.

Nope, never. Not in a million years. Not a chance....

lacktheknack said:
snip: the rehappening
Yes. You made the better choice.

The vastly better choice.

(I shudder even thinking about the GameFAQs forum.)

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
Because my day job is not very busy. Also because this forum tends to be a little more civil than average, though it does lose a little bit of that unpredictable fun factor because of it.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
Like many here I came for Zero Punctuation and liked some of the other content as well. I first started posting when I saw a guy getting dog-piled for not having the correct social view. One person sneered that no one was coming out of the wood work to speak up for him. So I did. The result was ugly and I mostly read the forums for a while after that. I've recently started putting up more posts, but avoid the controversial stuff for the most part. I prefer arguments with real people who know that they don't know as much as they think rather than internet folk who think all wisdom is but a single Google search away.

The best advise I can give is to stay positive, keep any swearing and accusations to a minimum, and try the forum games. They can be fun!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
There was a debate where somebody made the idiotic creationist argument "if evolution is real then why aren't things evolving?" and I needed to tell him why that's not how it works.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
I started frequenting the Escapist for ZP, columns and some other stuff, and I think I signed up when I saw a quiz that looked kinda fun. After that I lurked for several years, just reading topics that looked interesting.

The reason I started posting is kinda GG related. I'm a game journalist. I'm from a non-English speaking country and I mostly review niche games, so yeah, not someone who was actually involved with the whole thing. Yet it hurt to see people rag on game journalist like we're some army of corrupt clones instead of a whole bunch of individuals. I guess I just wanted to set a few things straight. I was planning to back to my spot in the shadows after that, but for some reason I kept responding to other topics.

The fact that feminism, corruption and plain old conspiracy theories are such hot topics are something I'm still not used to (these topics are not much of a big deal where I'm from), but I have seen people post some very intelligent and insightful responses in threads like that, and that's enough for me to stick around.

Gospelnut

Dec 22, 2014
I came because a friend showed me a review Yatzee did for Red Dead Redemption (Green Spleen Submarine), lurked for ages, finally decided to join recently.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
Like most folk, I lurked for a while and felt that people seemed fairly nice on the whole so thought I'd join in. I don't post often and I've been visiting less since my laptop died. It's probably in my head but there seems to have been a heavy atmosphere here for a while now. Though I bet the long-term users probably notice trends here better than me and things will brighten up soon.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
TopazFusion said:
Fappy said:
GG was like two ME3 endings combined XD
Two? More like ten.

At least the ME3 thing was mildly entertaining, since we had Zeel trolling the forums around that time.
But all this GG stuff is just depressing.
It will end.

My God, it has to end.

And then, in 2020 when new users complain about their current, small shitstorm we can take them to task.

"BOY, LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT GAMERGATE"

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Like many here, I was a lurker first.

Wound up visiting at around the time Zero Punctuation started since a friend (now no longer one, heh) showed me a couple reviews and I kinda fell in love. Listened to the podcast for quite a while too, until Susan left, then it seemed to lose a good deal of its energy...even though I didn't particularly care for her opinions sometimes, she was still very animated and kept it engaging.

Lurked a bit after that then finally made an account, either to chime in on a topic I actually cared to or for a quiz. Now idea which!

I visit daily for the occasional interesting article or bit of geek/science news. Tend to get the bulk of my gaming information elsewhere though.

I will say that overall quality here has taken a dip.

Not to infer anything about Mr. Tito's leadership, I really like the guy as a person and all (disagreements aside), but it seems to be going the clickbait route in general and I'd like to believe that those particular marching orders (not from Archon, mind) are coming from on high.

As for tips? We're good for Sarkeesian threads. Thanks.

Captcha: time machine

I really wish I had one.

But eh.

The tiiiimes they are a-chaaaangin'.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I dunno. It looked cool, I guess?
I may have joined to talk about Fallout 3 though. Not sure.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Sassafrass said:
I dunno. It looked cool, I guess?
I may have joined to talk about Fallout 3 though. Not sure.
I bet you were brought in by Yahtzee like me but just won't admit it. =P

OT: I've been here since 2007 because a good friend introduced me to Yahtzee on Youtube and then he moved to the Escapist for money.

Made my account in 2009 to comment on things and then have been here since. Others can probably tell you my posting habits better. Ask [user]Marter[/user] if you care. XP

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
Migrated when my former board died. There are enough users with taste her that visiting it is good to me.