Why do girls on social networking sites "Duck Face"?

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
It's an attempt at a pout, and it's more interesting than just pasting your normal face everywhere. Also, a silly face gives confidence, as you can claim the "it's not serious!" excuse when someone pulls you up on the amount of vanity you are exerting. Also, most photos are taken on nights out, when alcohol is normally involved. Also.... ah, hell, there are loads of reasons. Stop getting arsey that "duckface" girls don't pay attention to you.

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
I don't understand it myself. My go-to pose for everything is a raised eyebrow, hand on chin, and staring inquisitively up and to the left. It's fun, easy to get groups to do, and people notice it. If my girlfriend duckface'd (she smiles like a normal person), I'd probably take her lips away from her for a week or two.

[sub]It's amazing she's still with me. XD[/sub]

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
That One Six said:
I don't understand it myself. My go-to pose for everything is a raised eyebrow, hand on chin, and staring inquisitively up and to the left. It's fun, easy to get groups to do, and people notice it. If my girlfriend duckface'd (she smiles like a normal person), I'd probably take her lips away from her for a week or two.

I need to start using that pose, thank you very much.

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
That One Six said:

I need to start using that pose, thank you very much.
The more the merrier! I once got a whole coaster of people to do the pose. The person working the photo booth at the end didn't even bat an eye. /Depression

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Still better than taking a picture of youself holding a camera as if you are about to take a picture of yourself, then putting it through a black and white filter.
Now that fucking fudges me off!
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I don't know....

I don't do it but then I hate having my photo taken so it's mostly a blur with

NOOOOOOOO. as a caption. :|
You and me both.

yndsu

Apr 1, 2011
Those 2 black girls were the only ones who could somewhat pull it off.
You need to have some lips if you want to do that face thingy.
And those white girls just havent got it.

SO STOP IT !
For the love of all that is good.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
I had to read the comments to figure out what duck face is.

I'm going to guess that it depends on how old the girls you are looking at are. Because I've never seen it, but my female friends aren't teenage girls, either.

It's kind of like asking why guys take pictures of themselves shirtless in the mirror. Some guys do it. Most don't.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
I think they want to look like Angelina Jolie. They're forgetting however that they just look ridiculous.

Saw a relative of mine do this as a matter of fact. I remember this girl back when she was knee high to a knee high. Now she's a young woman, and when I saw her duck face when we were taking a family photo I wanted to slap her. "Don't be acting like a dumb ***** now, I know you were raised better than that."

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Cool Chick Carol [http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/35x5/#by=sp] makes 'duckface' look good

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Do you really want to know?

Ill tell you, bit it's a tad disturbing...

Lips bear a resemblance to Vaginas. Making them more obvious and large, even to the point of silliness, reminds people of the vagina of an aroused woman. It signifies sexual willingness, at least on an unconscious level.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
It's because they think it's sexy or something, oblivious to how fucking stupid it looks. Girls who make this face usually have the same personalities as the others. I like to surround myself with people who have unique personalities and are fun to be around.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
I don't get it either. It's not attractive, not interesting, and it simply doesn't make sense. There are only three logical explanations for why anyone would do this besides the obvious "they're stupid' response. They either

A. Are trying to purse their lips in someway, but it comes out as a duck face.

B. Are trying to copy other people who have done, to appear cute and fit in.

So, they're either accidents or trying to fit in.

...still fucking stupid.

Luckily, none of my actual female friends have ever done this, thank God!

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
It makes them look like they have more pronounced cheekbones and fuller lips, thus giving the illusion that they'd look really good if they weren't making that goddamn face.