Why do most men not like musicals?

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
This is the part where all the open minded men come in and say how they love musicals, who are these gruff testosterone-ridden men who don't, why, you ladies should forget about them.

OT: I love musicals. I absolutely cannot stand West Side Story, and I can't even consider watching the High School Musicals, but apart from that, I love em.

Sweeney Todd, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Phantom of the Opera, Grease - I even liked 'Moulin Rouge!'.

There are lots I'm not sure are musicals, though they have several songs in them, like The Land Before Time series, and pretty much all the classic cartoon ones; yay for The Pebble and the Penguin!

PS: I'm assuming you're talking about musical films, I don't actually get to see many musicals.

Iffypop

Apr 2, 2008
*ahem* Repo!.
You'll see why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go11V9EC-H4

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Benefactor said:
SonicWaffle said:
Because they haven't seen Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog yet.

[/thread]
I like to think of that movie as some sort of Frankenstein created by Joss Whedon and infused with the awesomeness of NPH to create a musical that even guys could like.

It was amazing, I will give you that, but I find people expressing their feelings in song to be, well... I don't buy it a lot. Plus, I'm sorry, but when I think of musicals, a lot of them have topics that would interest a 40 year old single woman before me.

Proof: "Cats."
Have you ever watched 'Flight of The Conchords'? The only way they can express their feelings is through song, and it it is hilarious. When not singing, both main characters tend to be listless, somewhat dazed, and speak in rather monotone voices. Then once or twice an episode, they'll jump into a plot-relevant musical number to explain their thoughts, or what they really want to say, or whatever. In one case, they even use the power of rap to keep from being mugged (spoiler: it doesn't work)

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
Sarkule said:
I'm a musical fan, and so are quite a few of my friends, but i've found that very few of my friends who are male actually like musicals. Even though there are some out there that aren't hugely girly (such as Sweeney Todd and Repo! The Genetic Opera)
So I was just wondering why guys don't like musicals.
In fairness, part of it could be that the "non-girly" musicals are, by and large, pretty terrible. Sweeney Todd was decent, but not the kind of "holy crap, that was awesome" show that the infusion of Johnny Depp made so many girls squeal. Repo! was simple crap. I watched it, and aside from the sheer "what the fuck"-ness of it, it's a second-rate Rockey Horror, and I didn't even like Rockey Horror that much.

I think the problem is that so many guys have basically been told "you're supposed to like this type of musical" see those musicals suck, and never give the better ones a chance. Being told that "Sweeney Todd" should be right up their alley makes them less likely to go see good musicals like Avenue Q, or The Last Five Years, of Jekyll & Hyde (which, incidentally, is a much better guy's musical anyway).

So, yeah, there's a bit of suspension of disbelief on the breaking into song and dance thing (though good shows anymore don't do as much pure choreography), but that's no more unrealistic than any number of things in other media.

The bigger issue seems to be the context of the show. Most musicals are best watched when you get to see them (at least the first time) relatively clean. I hated Rent when I saw it live for two reasons: 1. I had been told by everyone and their mother (and my mother) that I should love it, and that it's really emotional, not to mention heard people singing the damned music so much I learned to hate it, and 2. I'd seen "Rent" merchandise selling in stores, so the whole "Bohemian lifestyle, rejecting opulent wealth to pursue true art and love" rang hollow.

On the other hand, I saw The Last Five Years having only ever heard the first song, and so got to actually experience it. I don't know how important that is, but I think a lot of people (male and female) get turned off, or fall in love, based on their experiences with their first few shows.

luke10123

Jan 9, 2010
I challenge you to find a man who wouldn't like Monty Python's 'Spamalot'. It's probably the funniest thing I've ever seen live and it IS a musical.

Jun 11, 2008
Well some of the more recent ones are really extremely and completely shit. Some are really good like Grease, Oliver, Phantom of the Opera, Fiddler on the Roof, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Oklahoma and West Side Story. Although as I already said some can be utterly pants by being way too upbeat and happy too much of the time and it becomes very unrealistic and freakishly picturesque.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Most musicals are like aural torture to me! They are also kinda boring, I don't like plays, and if it is a movie, there are other channels. I was also not brought up with them.

Now leave, the sound of music beckons me. [sub]Coughs, chokes, splutters, dies.[/sub]

[guys_its_ok]

Jul 1, 2010
hey, i like musicals!
did anyone see wicked? that mess was awesome!
also if you've seen it you'll know that it is one of the hardest plots to describe to someone who hasn't seen it, you know what i mean?

VladShadeu

Jan 3, 2010
Aby_Z said:
Cause it ain't manly enough!

Eh, it's also just personal taste. Personally, I quite like a few musicals, like Chicago. Sweeney Todd was really bad though; the blood was far too tomato-sauce-looking and it was rather... well, it wasn't that good in my opinion.
If you're referring to the Tim Burton version (and from your comments I suspect you are) then you haven't seen a decent version of that musical and shouldn't be insulting it.

Eh, I've been acting in musicals since I was 5 and have ABSOLUTELY no problem with the genre, but then again from that statement alone there are probably a lot of other reasons to go insulting my manliness....

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Depends on the musical.
If it's a serious musical, I'm bored in .372 seconds flat.
If it's a comedy like Dr. Horrible, chances are that I'll love it.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
To those guys who have only seen the movie musicals, I recommend going to see a stage show. They're generally better and tend to be more believable since they don't have the magic of the movies helping them along. I'm not saying there won't be song and dance numbers because it IS a musical, but I recommend giving it a chance.

For those who don't like the music, try rock operas/musicals like Rent, Spring Awakening (There are songs called "The ***** of Living" and "Totally Fucked") or Repo! The Genetic Opera.

I am a girl who majored in theatre and adores musicals, and I can assure you there's something for everyone.

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
Evil Dead the Musical is fucking epic! I also like the Rocky Horror Picture Show somewhat. Aside from that I do not care for them all that much.

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
I'm a (admittedly not completely straight) guy who went out and enjoyed Mama Mia. :D

Was a great movie, I enjoyed it whole-heartedly.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
TheNamlessGuy said:
I love Avenue Q and think it's one of the best things ever.
Avenue Q doesn't count.

OT:I like all musical that I have seen.Sure,I've never been to a live one.But all the ones that I have seen on TV were quite entertaining.