Why do PC Gamers Oppose Using a Controller?

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
The only games for which I'd strongly recommend using a keyboard and mouse combo are FPS/TPS and RTS. Everything else is better with a controller, I think.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
We don't. Not for everything at least. Driving games for one are a pain in the ass to use a keyboard for. Basically, I support which ever allows me to get better performance. If I was against controllers, I wouldn't own the Xbox controller adapter for PC.

Mouse and keyboard allows for very precise aim in FPSs. It's the only way to effectively play essentially any RTS. Some third person games are easier to play with a controller and for driving and flying games a controller is all but necessary unless you want your choice of direction limited to either LEFT or RIGHT with no options in between. Essentially, I do not care whichever control system you decide to design your game for so long as it works with some control system.

I do wonder if you could design a pressure sensitive keyboard to combat this, but I've already got the controller, so I'll use it.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
We are? Since when?
For me it just seems rather odd to have 2 input devices, then having to add 3rd to play... Why? We already got 100 (VARIATIONS ON DIFFERENT LAYOUTS!) keys and 3-6 on mouse. All in nice reach of fingers.

But I protest the mandatory use of controllers, because I have disability on my hand that prevents me from using more than 2 fingers properly middle finger works but slowly and rest I don't even bother trying to use.

Also they keep adding more and more buttons and modifiers to new console controllers, why? So they could get enough actions mapped on to it. We can already do that already on keyboard. I don't even know how many combinations there can be on modern PC keyboard.

But I like to have a key for each action.

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
Controllers cost money. Having a game that needs to be played with a controller to be played effectively is like playing a console game that requires a not standard or included different controller. Imagine playing Guitar Hero, except it didn't come with the guitar controller, and the guitar controller wasn't standardized. you could play it on the regular controller but that is clumsy and unnatural as the game isn't designed for that.

THAT is why pc gamers hate controller required games. and don't get me started with ports of console games (halo 2) where they don't bother removing aim assist/ auto aim for the pc version.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
1. A keyboard doesnt get sweaty in your palms like a controller
2. I can write whole essays and other things with a keyboard if I have work to do
3. Keyboard provide hotkeys which consoles do not provide giving stratergy games an edge
4. A mouse is much faster for scrolling with and more accurate stoppages when clicking on a targe in comparsion to a controller. Even if the sensitivity is turned up higher you got to scroll with your thumb pressed really firm aside where as you merly tap the mouse in comparison.

5. Controllers hurt my hands and I cant hold a cup of tea while moving my mouse in the other hand hahaha

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Because of the variation in controllers that you use with a PC, and it's a chore to crawl under my desk to plug the thing in. It sits there like an irritating cancer when I'm not using it, which is 99% of the time.

Edit: I only use it for emulation (ps2/1, Gamecube/Wii & N64) and Dark Souls anyway.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
1: Oh, those elitist PC players don't like controllers.
2:Yeah. Dumb elitist.
1: More games should use controllers only. Take them out of their comfort zone.
2: Yeah, so they realize controllers is the superior alternative.
1: Stupid elitists.

Just use what you prefer, and what is available. Like most of the thread has already suggested.

balfore

Nov 9, 2006
I prefer a M+K for most FPS and all RTS. However for most games where you play in the third person I use an Xbox 360 Controller with my PC.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Do they?

Well I am a hybrid gamer [aaah it is the monster of frankenstein] and some games do need a keyboard. Not joking buying an RTS on a console.. good luck wished! Yet the console controller does add something great to gaming two, not one but TWO analoge sticks!

I have bought after hell I don't know how many years.. a wired xbox 360 controller for some games I bought on steam and. You know I like it! Again some games have no use for the controller but some games do come out from the multi platform world and yes you can use a controller. And actually that isn't so bad!

As long as a PC game isn't dumbed down, forced to a controller situation I think there is no loss for PC gamers. Okay what is a forced controller situation, that even though you don't own it the game excepts you to handle as if you do. Look down and notice F1 to F12, not only that also the 1 key to 0. Yes.. lets say we have a shooter and we have 8 weapons. A good shooter would allow on the pc to put weapon a to key 1, b to key 2 and so on. Quick direct access to your guns. A bad pc port would say "To change weapon press B then click with the mouse the weapon you want to use" .. ahum.

So yeah I can get the Ire if that happens. Just because you can port a console game doesn't means it has to be as limited as the console. there are many buttons on the keyboard for a reason.

So what I say is well.. game developers that make multi console games or port a console game to a pc. Please make it pc friendly! And to those pc games that own a controller like lets say the xbox 360 controller. Awesome, it is in certain games definitely a valid way of playing a game.

Not every PC game will be controller friendly cool. Not every console game [well about none] are keyboard friendly cool. But if you go in between offer both paths!

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Because some are too engraved in their "PC Master Race, Mouse & Keyboard are superior to everything!" mindset to realize that controllers are not only better for certain games, they have been a part of PC/Computer gaming since the very beginning. In fact, back in the 80's keyboard controls were considered inferior to a proper joystick controller. Granted, part of that is due to the fact that back then most games were arcade conversions and having a joystick made it feel more like being in the arcade, but still. Having a joystick was considered essential in that era. And then there were certain games, believe it or not, like X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter (which was in the late 90's, but it still serves to back up my point) which wouldn't install if they didn't detect a flightstick plugged into your computer...

Controllers for PC/Computer games have been around since the dawn of PC/Computer gaming. Acting like you shouldn't use them on a PC just shows not only a massive amount of idiocy, it also shows a complete lack of knowledge of the history of the very platform you like to game on.

Robert Patrician

Nov 13, 2010
I think it's more about the frustration of bad console ports. For example: Star wars, Force Unleashed. When they 'ported' it to the PC, they just bound the left analog stick to WASD, and the right analog stick to the mouse. However, the game requires you to do things like "Keep moving the right analog stick to the right for several seconds." You can't DO that on a mouse unless you have a huge desk and a cordless mouse. That's why some games "Need a controller to play properly" because the developers never bothered to integrate the mouse into the controls.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I use a controller quite a bit, but not for every game. Shooters, strategy games, etc are all better served with a mouse and keyboard setup, as that gives you much better precision in significantly less time.

Platformers, fighting games, driving games, etc are all better with controllers though. Controllers offer much finer movement and scaling ability than K&M, which is forced to use the digital all-or-nothing button press.

ScorpSt

Mar 18, 2010
I don't think there's anything wrong with PC games supporting a controller. My problem comes when it seems like a game needs a controller in order to be played. A game that releases on PC should be fully playable with a Keyboard + Mouse setup. Especially if you've spent all that money on a gaming keyboard and high-performance gaming mouse, why should I need to go out and spend even more money on a controller?

For me personally, I like both control schemes. Sometimes, I like to switch on the fly while playing. For example, when I'm playing Saints Row the Third, I like doing the driving sections with my controller, but I prefer to shoot people with my mouse.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Strelok said:
Not sure really, now they are just awful for FPS games and if you are playing multi-player FPSs such as Battlefield with one you should prepare yourself for a bad time. I myself hate them for all but fighting games, I have a Phillips PS3 knockoff I use for Mortal Kombat 9 Ultimate Edition and it works great, I like developers that drop this because it's a PC they must love XBox controllers attitude, cause I for one hate game pads, but XBox gamepads are the worst thing ever.
Funny you should mention BF, because that game is best played with both. M/K for ground based, and controller for flight. Anoyingly a controller is better for flight than my quite nice flight stick.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I'm not opposed to controllers, but my approach is "The right tool for the right job." The mouse and keyboard setup is best for first-person shooters and games where you need really precise aiming. And real-time strategy or games like DotA and LoL work best with the mouse and keyboard. But most other games that I've played work better with the controler setup.
Like I said, the right tool for the right job.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
OH NOES! WHY DO CONSOLE GAMERS OPPOSE$ USING M+KB?
Pretty much... I'd turn this question around and ask why are console gamers (many of which are now migrating to PC) so insistent on pushing console controllers into PC gaming? Like if you post a comment for Dark Souls about how to best get a keyboard and mouse working for the PC port, a bunch of people will jump on you and say "just get with the times already and use a controller!" I've stumbled across this while looking for how to best setup the various mods you need to play that game properly on PC. I think there's also a prominent indy game... Super Meat Boy maybe? That basically throws in a jab at you in the control scheme's if you don't want to use a controller.

Really it just comes down to a matter of preference on how you like to play the game. The benefit of the PC should be it's openness in allowing multiple forms, and this 'argument' seems to come as much from recent console migrates as it does the Glorious PC Master Race. I think a legit argument for discussion is whether developers should be criticized if they bring a game to PC with shitty support for the long standing default mouse & keyboard controls. I mean you can look back at older PC games in the driving or flight sim genre that were better with a wheel/joystick, but they still defaulted to a keyboard/mouse setup. And after all while WASD doesn't give the same precision as the left analogue stick it can still get the job done, the mouse is perfectly suitable to replace the right analogue, and from there you've got plenty of buttons to match the rest, so there's no real excuse to say "this games console controls can't be matched by k&m."

As far as my own personal preferences go I actually did by a controller just the other week. Was at an Asian night market and one of the stalls had a cheap PS2/3 usb knock off for $10, so I figured why not. Hooked it up to try with Y's Origin... and quickly shelved it again. Now this particular game is actually only omni directional, so while it's nice there's no advantage to an analogue stick. For the right side of the controller however... ****ING THUMBS!

Unlike the keyboard & mouse thing this is one thing I do get strongly behind. In my family back in the late 80's/90's me and my brothers determined that it was much more efficient to play Mario or whatever with your fingers on the controller buttons than your thumb. And we proved this to be superior anytime you played one of those track and field games where some events all you do is push the button as fast as you can, and any kid trying to play it with his thumb would get smoked. Simply put, for fast paced games I hate using my thumb on the classic Snes Diamond shape button layout. It just feels slow and clunky, especially if you have to use more than 2 of the face buttons. Typically back in the day if we were playing a game like Street Fighter 2 we'd maybe the most useless button (weak punch) to the R button and let our fingers go at it on the A/B/X/Y buttons. The Playstation controller is horrible for this however so for Y's I'm sticking with 3 fingers on z/x/c for attack/jump/special, the game is hard enough with trying to simultaneously maneuver my thumb over the triangle/circle/square buttons. Same thing with Dust: An Elysain Tail which I just started playing, not even going to bother trying it with the controller. It started with keyboard and mouse but I've since switched it to just keyboard, need a few more buttons than Y's so I have the controls on WASD with QE as evades and the other buttons all on the numpad.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
Muspelheim said:
1: Oh, those elitist PC players don't like controllers.
2:Yeah. Dumb elitist.
1: More games should use controllers only. Take them out of their comfort zone.
2: Yeah, so they realize controllers is the superior alternative.
1: Stupid elitists.

Just use what you prefer, and what is available. Like most of the thread has already suggested.
proof that console gamers are just as dimwitted blind and arrogant as pc gamers are.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I'm not opposed to gamepad controllers; but I don't like half-assed user interfaces for PC ports that result from the game being made for a gamepad. (hello, Oblivion and Skyrim)