Why do people like dubstep?

soes757

Jan 24, 2011
Palademon said:
I don't know, it's usually very boring, but I like the dubsteps of game music.
That is the worst thing I have heard in a long, long while.
Frankly I don't get why it's so damn popular, it sounds stupid and there isn't any talent in doing it

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
InterAirplay said:
No, I was perfectly aware you were doing exactly what I complained about in the post I made. Wh do you think you don't fit the criteria?

Given that your criteria was the following---v
InterAirplay said:
make ill-fated attempts at dismissing the possible artistic merits of an entire genre of music
using various objective standards selectively derived from their own personal tastes and perceptions
going so far as to make ridiculous negative generalisations about it's listeners or their tastes in the hopes that they can somehow prove that their opinion on one paticular genre is factual
all of this motivated by nothing more complex than a distaste for said genre.
Then, no I don't think I "fit the criteria", I wonder what post you were actually reading, and think you need to tune your comprehension skills. The only thing I said, even REMOTELY near the area of your rant, was to say I thought Skrillex mostly sounded like a car crusher fucking a dinosaur (despite enjoying a couple of his tracks, all opinion), and that there's a lot of non-talent making throwaway basslines with little effort.

I never discounted the genre, I certainly never discounted its fans (I am one, dammit), am actively engaged in demonstrating TASTE for said genre, and never once tried to prove a damn thing until you attacked me alongside your rather exhaustive quote-list of off-the-cuff dismissals and genre hatred, dragging me into this semi-tangential argument that I am now intent on arguing my way out of. For whatever reason.

Thanks for completely ignoring (twice now) the parts where I state what I think is good about the music, what I like in dubstep, and what kinds of sounds in it I (yes, personally, it's subjective) think have a future in music.

Next time, check your own damn criteria.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
InterAirplay said:
Cain_Zeros said:
Except I stated that it's objectively bad. Every dubstep song I've heard jumps all over the fucking place with no sense of consistency. That's genuinely bad song-writing whether people enjoy it or not.
Yeah. I know you did.

I was calling you out on it. Because that's just ridiculous.

You did read my post, didn't you?
Yes, you kept mentioning subjectivity, which is bullshit when I say something's objectively badly written. People are gonna like it anyway, I realize, but that doesn't make it good. People love Twilight, but that's still a steaming pile of shit.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
The same has been said about Metal, Electronic, Rock, and even Jazz. If you don't like it, cool. You have your tastes, so do we.

DayWalkerEscapist

Oct 22, 2011
Seriously? Personally when I'm listening to Dubstep I feel pure energy. Not Like my power levels are going over 9,000 or anything, but I feel the music in its simplest form. It's primal and the way the bass pulses through my chest makes me feel the music, literally.

I live in America, so I don't know what the reception is like around the world, but it seems to be gaining steam here in the South. I listen to all kinds of music. Country, Classical, Rap, Metal, Reggae, Ska, Jazz, I even enjoy Enya and Celtic women if the mood is right.

I think it has a time and place. Like everyone says, Clubs, getting high, or just doing crazy shit. I wouldn't play it at home while trying to read.

WOMP WOMP WOMP

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
If you can find a couple of artists you like, Dubstep can be as good as any other form of music. It's an acquired taste granted, but if you give it a chance there may be something you like. I hated it at first as well, but I found artists such as Nero, Datsik, Excision and (to a degree) Skrillex. If you're willing to give it a chance, check them out.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
I like dubstep for the same reason I like house and Hardstyle trance. It's so fun to pump up the volume in my car with some dubstep, it just gives you a good feeling. The fact that most of it is actually really good musically is just icing on the cake.

Also, I'm getting so sick of people saying dubstep isn't music. We get it, you don't like it. I don't like rap one bit but I don't go around saying it isn't music. It is, it's just bad music :p

MOXron

May 10, 2011
Well, I listen to all forms of music, ranging from Mozart and Bach; to Stevie Wonder and Tears for Fears to Disturbed, Lamb Of God, Pendulum and Skrillex and I think dubstep is a great form of music. Yes, it doesn't require a lot of work to get it sounding as 'dubstep' but, really, that's the same with all music. Almost every genre of music follows the ABA or terinary form, where a rythm & Melody are created, then variated, then returned to. So to everybody saying dubstep is stupid just take note, every form of music has it's own form of 'repetative bleeping', persay.

Also, as with every other form of music, your appreciation of it comes from what you've listened to. I agree with everyone out there that says that SOME dubstep remixes have utterly butchered the original song, to a point of detracting from the original quality, but that's not to say ALL remixes are like that... some are damn good.

OT: Can someone tell me how to embed youtube vids? The youtube link isn't working...

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
5t3v0 said:
But the way I see it: There is probably some good dubstep out there, but its few and far between. Its the equivalent of finding 2 gold coins in an ocean of shit. its up to you if its worth it to find the Gold coins, but they may turn out to just be wrapped chocolates anyway.
To be fair this statements pretty true about modern music as a whole. For every decent bands there's a near infinite supply of focus-tested products and sellouts.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
I have no idea why dubstep is a thing... It isn't very pleasant to listen to and has no intrinsic artistic merit associated with it. Just bwoahwoahowahwoah wubwubwubwubwub.

It's a fad that will hopefully go back to the talentless void it came from.

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
Drugs: Coke, MDMA, Methadrone.
The electro side is fairly bearable, and its way better than pop and R&B so im not complaining.

CScuff

Jan 14, 2011
The only reason I can think of is because it's danceable. I can list friends of mine that could put out musically better dubstep than most of the mainstream stuff, so I don't get what people like about Skrillex, etc. Personally, I hate the stuff. But if people can dance to it (especially drunk/high/etc) they'll love it.

phazaar

Oct 21, 2011
Zombie_Fish said:
Ah, my bad. Also makes it a good thing I'm currently studying Computer Science and not Music at Uni in that case.

I've tried looking for that jazz guide you've been talking about but I can't find anything (won't need it but it could just be an interesting read anyway). There's the Cambridge Companion to Jazz [http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Companion-Jazz-Companions-Music/dp/0521663202], is that the one you mean? Since if it's worthwhile I may buy -- not yet since it's £12 at the very cheapest and I have more than enough books already to read, but if it's worth it I may put it down on my reading list.
Haha I'm almost jealous; at a bit of a career impass right now, sort of wish I'd studied computer science :D

That's the one, yeah! Companion>guide, obviously ;) It's probably the most well-sourced guide on it. Certainly my lecturer always gave more weight to any quote from there than any of the other guides haha! As to being a good read, it's certainly wordy and in-depth, perhaps a bit 'reference' as a 'read' though, if you get me.

Im Phelpsing It

Jun 15, 2011
I generally try to stay out of other people's music choices. If someone likes a song, I don't care. I've never gotten in to Dubstep though because it doesn't seem like you can convey an original message without using someone else's vocals. If a singer wants to use their own voice for Dubstep, I'd be interested.

hiks89

Oct 22, 2008
TheAztec said:
For the past few months, the only thing everyone's been talking about at school is dubstep. I had no idea what it was, so I searched it on youtube, but all I could find were videos that had nothing in them but three or four minutes of beeping and loud bass. It was literally one of the worst things I had ever heard, and I really can't see the appeal.

Why do people like it? Is there actually good dubstep out there? How did it become so popular?
I HATE IT TOO!!!!