Why do people like dubstep?

Red-Link

Feb 10, 2010
Always good to hear that people remember what subjectivity is and such. I guess I don't have to give some argument and instead can just throw my lot in with the "people like what they like and deal with it" lot. Much easier that way.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Because its Different then half of the songs these days about

A: Sexual interCourse
B: IM DIFFERENT LOOK AT ME
C: Look how SEXY I LOOK [jailbait]
D: All of The Above

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
kittii-chan 300 said:
Well, first off, I didn't say him specifically was a moron. However, "it's not music" is a phrase mainly uttered by morons.

I'd say music is rather something that is an assortment of notes in general, not necessarily played by instruments.. Dubstep most certainly does fit into that criteria, and as such, I'd say it is music.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
InterAirplay said:
Oh, look at that. A lot of people have never heard of subjectivity and have subsequently taken it upon themselves to make ill-fated attempts at dismissing the possible artistic merits of an entire genre of music by using various objective standards selectively derived from their own personal tastes and perceptions - even going so far as to make ridiculous negative generalisations about it's listeners or their tastes - in the hopes that they can somehow prove that their opinion on one paticular genre is factual (inevitably failing to realise that similar arguments could be made - and HAVE been made - against any other genre), all of this motivated by nothing more complex than a distaste for said genre.
Oh look, an attempt to project something which isn't there upon people in a....Serious attempt at irony? I don't know, but I hope so.

Trust me, if I was going on my own opinion, I would have been much more harsh to the genre.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Trezu said:
Because its Different then half of the songs these days about

A: Sexual interCourse
B: IM DIFFERENT LOOK AT ME
C: Look how SEXY I LOOK [jailbait]
D: All of The Above
Seems like a weird justification, since "different" in no way means "better."

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Laurie Barnes said:

This is so difficult it's making me nauseous.
I must buy a music theory book, since i seem to be totally incompetent at describing the effect of merely one heard sound without comparing it to other sounds.
Damn you, metaphorical house of metaphorical cards, why must you make me realize i neither want to ignore or comprehend everything.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
I find it crazy that most of the people I've talked to recently have asked my opinion on dubstep. It's seems like it's all anyone talks about now, what caused that?

As for actually liking it... I'm really really picky. Show me 10 dubstep songs and I'll be lucky to tolerate 2 of them, it's rare that I actually end up loving one. For most songs there's a part of it I'll love, but the remainder of the song I just can't stand. I don't know, just not my thing.

kittii-chan 300

Feb 27, 2011
werewolfsfury said:
kittii-chan 300 said:
EternalFacepalm said:
Shark Wrangler said:
The music sucks and it will go away very soon. Hate this kind of crap with a passion and its not music. Everybody knows that this crap is just club music. Go out and dance to this garbage while getting very drunk. You go home with some random person and and hate yourself in the morning. Very much like to think this stuff plays in hell when you first enter.
I stopped reading at "it's not music", as that phrase is pretty much only uttered by morons.

People listen to it because they like it. You might not like it, but they do.
but it isnt actualy 'music'. it is an assortment of special computerized effects and electric beats. my personal definition of music is: an assortment of notes played by instruments. maybe if all the effects were done by guitars with chaos pedals or something it would be deemed as music by me but it is a digitally created sound.

OT: some of it is ok at a stretch. but most dubstep i have heard is just the title repeated over and over again in different pitched distorted voices with the electric effects going on in the background. all of the ones i have seen on youtube have the same video too. a circle with "UKF" or something that spins around sometimes.

I dont think many of the people that listen to it actually like it much. i have never seen someone actually listen to a full dubstep song without switching too another one every minute.

on the brighter side of these dubstep videos: no justin beiber comments!

PS: it's not nice to call other people morons T_T
sorry but your definition of music is way to limited. what about chiptune?
what the fuck is chiptune?

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
kittii-chan 300 said:
werewolfsfury said:
kittii-chan 300 said:
EternalFacepalm said:
Shark Wrangler said:
The music sucks and it will go away very soon. Hate this kind of crap with a passion and its not music. Everybody knows that this crap is just club music. Go out and dance to this garbage while getting very drunk. You go home with some random person and and hate yourself in the morning. Very much like to think this stuff plays in hell when you first enter.
I stopped reading at "it's not music", as that phrase is pretty much only uttered by morons.

People listen to it because they like it. You might not like it, but they do.
but it isnt actualy 'music'. it is an assortment of special computerized effects and electric beats. my personal definition of music is: an assortment of notes played by instruments. maybe if all the effects were done by guitars with chaos pedals or something it would be deemed as music by me but it is a digitally created sound.

OT: some of it is ok at a stretch. but most dubstep i have heard is just the title repeated over and over again in different pitched distorted voices with the electric effects going on in the background. all of the ones i have seen on youtube have the same video too. a circle with "UKF" or something that spins around sometimes.

I dont think many of the people that listen to it actually like it much. i have never seen someone actually listen to a full dubstep song without switching too another one every minute.

on the brighter side of these dubstep videos: no justin beiber comments!

PS: it's not nice to call other people morons T_T
sorry but your definition of music is way to limited. what about chiptune?
what the fuck is chiptune?
this is chiptune:

bwaremypower

Aug 28, 2008
I think there was a guy above me that said something about how dubstep is all about predictable patterns and recognizable hooks. People like it because when your brain can recognize patterns like that it releases serotonin. So people are literally getting to a state of mind that syncs up with many others, thus causing their brains to release the chemical. That's why people like dubstep.