Why do people say Crysis 1 is a "generic shooter" ?

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Just got to sat, the verticality in Crysis 2 is not better.

In Crysis 1 you can climb watchtowers, attack from above cliffs and cranes, or attack from below, from rivers and stuff.

Crysis 2 has none of that.

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Treblaine said:
1. yes I have compared the jumps. the high jumps are higher and the long jumps go especially further at a faster speed.

2. lean is awkward for you, extremely useful for me.

3. whatever, you like nanovision, i don't. I don't see why you need to debate this.

4. the verticality in C2 is mostly linear in that you only go up and down in a straight path. In the areas where it is more open, the verticality is rarely better than C1, though there are some well designed areas. But that still doesn't make up for the huge open maps of C1.

5. you ignored what i said about discovery. Surely you understand the joy of exploration, how that accomplishment is done by you and not blatantly pointed out by the game. I'm all for shortcuts existing, but the game showing me exactly where they are is boring and removes creatively searching for new paths or strategies. and its still petty to try and argue the semantics of my list.

8. you challenged the comparison of C1's physics to C2's by saying that C1 didn't have great physics in the first place. You briefly mentioned that you could shoot some trees in C2 then ignored the fact that this is a comparison and only attacked C1's destructibility as if you could devalue it without admitting that C2 had even less.

9. not only are fists more powerful, but they hit with more force. and obviously i wasn't seriously being macho with that "separates the men from the boys" bit, you need to calm down.

10. Silencers are available in C1 as well and are different than the tactical attachment, which puts someone to sleep no matter where you hit them. i don't see why i can't have an issue with the tactical attachment beign removed. you're basically just saying 'take what you're given and like it'. it isn't in C2, that's all that i need to have an problem.

11. you obviously haven't played on any of the higher difficulties.

12. i care, and you took the time to try and analyze my point for the sole purpose of devaluing it so obviously you care too. and prone made a huge difference in C1, there were many, many areas that crouch couldn't fully conceal you and being prone definitely hides you better from the AI when in tall grass or bushes. if you really think it's insignificant then wow.

13. I don't see how it's a limitation when you can do more once you get good. i think an issue is that all the arguments you make are just kinda assumptions, you never really played either game extensively like i have with both.

And i find the strategy and skill involved in mixing modes fun, it's that part that MAKES it more than a standard fps. and in C2 the strength mode stuff is slow and useless, speed mode just doesn't exist and it's features didn't migrate to another selectable mode, and armor mode is too overpowered with the new regenerating health, and cloak is just way overpowered. when they're all smushed together it's no better than just having the game give me a stronger character without requiring me to get any better. maybe you don't like the act of micro-managing anything, but i think that's where the non-twitch based skill comes from, which is skill that most modern fps don't have. you also went far too into the fact that i used an rpg party as an analogy.

14. making the punch or jump take longer doesn't add strategy, it just makes them take longer and feels awkward because no other game does that. maybe if it had been balanced better or something but as it is, they're pretty useless in comparison.

15. you definitely can't perform those big long jumps in C2. in C2 it's like a normal jump that just goes a little bit farther. In C1 you launch in a direction and move way farther and faster than the pitiful long jump in C2. also, why do you care so much if you can combine a super jump with super speed? that seems to be your main issue in this whole thread but it's something you'd rarely use, definitely not as much as long jumps or high jumps on their own. but anyway, you definitely can combine it with super speed, and you go farther, so i'm not sure what your point is.

16. you can't find reasons to sprint in any direction but forward, but i did all the time. that's on you. i don't see why you think turning away from an opponent is always preferable, surely you'd like to keep an eye on the danger assuming you already know your current path. walls and static objects aren't gonna move, i know where those are, but opponents change and move.

and even though we're talking gameplay you keep citing realism as justification. you can keep your realism if it means making my game less enjoyable.

18. weird hit detection? i've seen multiple times on this thread that you've said your game doesn't work right. i never noticed any weird hit detection, probably because it's only you. maybe you didn't know that C1 has bullet physics and those other games you mentioned don't? idk

---

About the C2 improvements, i don't get why you expect me to have negative things to say. you love conflict no matter what, you've shown that many times in this thread. i don't automatically look for a way to bring down someone's opinion. I loved C2, its the reason why i bought C1 and Warhead, but i'll respond to your list anyway.

-slide is cool, kinda annoying how it's used as basically the equivalent of dolphin diving in multiplayer, but still cool
-Sprint and or Super-jump while in Armour and Cloak mode, this isn't really a new feature? in C1 you can easily switch in and out of these modes quickly enough for the cloak to not even disappear before you've strength jumped, same with armor. and you can sprint in those modes too, works about the same as C2
-clambering up ledges helps because the super jump is a little shorter, but its annoying that all ledges weren't created equal. there are many times when i'll jump to a ledge but the game has decided that the ledge isn't climbable for some reason. idk if i'd call this a new feature, it's a nice convenience to help make up for the shorter jump, but besides a new animation it doesn't really do anything new in terms of gameplay. in fact it'll often interrupt me when i jump high enough to go over a ledge but the animation plays anyway and forces me to wait while i'm being shot.
-longer cloak + sprint time, i think that cloak is overpowered, and the sprint forces you to drain energy and doesn't let you sprint AT ALL when it's drained. and the C1 super speed sprint went way faster anyway which is fun and isn't like any other fps i know of, so meh i don't really see these as a plus.
-direct access to abilities, i definitely like that armor and cloak only require one button, it's too bad C1 didn't have that feature for it's 4 modes but i learned to get good at it anyway. i may not have even used them exclusively anyway since the radial menu only uses one button and works just as quickly.
-more effective armor mode, i don't really see how it's more effective, seems about the same except it slows you down and works way too well with the regenerating health. i basically just used it as an oh shit button when my health got low. i guess it's not really that bad though, the C1 armor mode isn't to special either.
-nanosuit modules, i really like these, they're a cool new feature
-marking equipment, i don't really care about this, it's not like the equipment was hard to find and the levels were pretty confined with lots of ammo caches stuck directly in your path. if anything, all the weapon icons floating around when using the tactical visor got kinda annoying when i only wanted to look for enemies.
-heavy-machine guns, pretty cool new feature. i never used them because they limited everything you could do and were very inaccurate when not mounted on a vehicle, but still a cool feature for those who use that playstyle.
-hitmarkers, hitmarkers should really only be for multiplayer to know if you hit someone in case there's lag. in singleplayer they just get in the way because you can see if you hit someone simply by watching your bullet make blood splatter. but this isn't really a new feature anyway, C1 had a very unobtrusive hitmarker by making your crosshairs flash.

Comparing C1 and C2 is kinda like comparing manual and auto transmissions. Manual transmissions are harder to get used to, but ultimately provide more control and are more effective, and automatics sacrifice that to be easier to use.

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
I'm slowly starting to grow out of any game that has rechargeable health. I played Crysis 2 and thought it was an excellent game, however I tried playing it again but only found it boring. Then I tried Crysis 1 and found that to be boring too

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Breadline said:
That's not true (that weapon switch time is quicker), and it's even noticeable enough with any weapon to be obvious. Another quick thing you can check, try setting up/reloading a missile launcher in speed mode. Very useful for when someone is barreling down on you in a vehicle. The skilled player might switched to speed mode, pull out their missile launcher and fire, the less skilled player might just get torn up while switching to the missile launcher while in armor mode.
Right, I took the effort of trying it with every weapon, it is so SO slightly faster. Such a small increase it is WORTHLESS to take even a fraction of a second to switch to speed mode in effort to switch weapons quicker.

"reloading a missile launcher"

You can't. Missile launcher has three missiles that are fired in sequence just as fast in all suit modes. There is no reload.

In Crysis 2, armor is an activated mode like cloak that drains your energy. You do not move around for extended periods of time in it, the slowdown is a consequence and does not demonstrate what the game accepts and balances as default movement speed. In Crysis 1 it's a default suit mode (one of three) in which you move at the default movement speed and you spend much more time in it than Crysis 2. One cannot choose to be able to move faster in all areas, the only choice made is one of neglect.
Yep, Armoured mode is active and drains power in use. Why don't you appreciate the Strategy of this? You only activate it when you are in the meat grinder and is FAR more effective at absorbing damage.

"One cannot choose to be able to move faster in all areas"

What is this muddled nonsense? Areas??!? Proof read your posts, we are talking about the status of the character, not what area they are in in the environment. Do you mean "cannot activate faster movement in all MODES"? Why do I have to translate your posts... that is not true, YOU CAN Speed-SPRINT AT ANY TIME! Without deactivating any mode.

and the Crysis 2 sprint is MUCH faster than holding sprint key in armour mode of Crysis 1. Video comparison forthcoming.

It's a completely fresh install, no mods, no enhancements not even the keybindings are changed. The explosion came from a tree falling on it.
That's not an explanation. Your strength punch is well over an order of magnitude more powerful than any other native non-modded punch demonstrated. The tree fell on it BECAUSE IT SNAPPED IT IN HALF! Don't BS me.

Please, you should try replicate the hits you saw in the video I posted. In any way.

The energy meter depletes before the swing animation even happens. If I waited until the object I hit moved it would certainly be more than a second. I don't understand your comparison to L4D2, which I play a lot. In L4D2 when you hit the attack button you swing your melee weapon instantly. There's no charge time, no delay before your character attacks, they swing right when you tell them to.
There is definitely a delay in impact in l4d2. I've killed so many zombies in left 4 dead, there is such a distinct delay between clicking and them actually getting mincemeated. Really, how can you complain so bitterly about such a trivial issue, charge attack are so well established in video and computer games, what is not established is having to change through so many contradictory modes with such indirect methods. Radial menus are so rare outside of RPG games where they are usually used when you have the luxury of time. And double tapping other functions keys is ridiculous, what if you just want to duck quickly to avoid something then duck again, not activate cloak mode.

I don't mean this as a personal insult to you, but this is an entirely skill related issue.
This is another cop-out non-answer. You over and over fall back on skill, yet you complain endlessly about mundane things like charge time on super-powerful moves. You've insulted me before, now you are just irritating me.

Because I keep expecting you to come to your senses and realize how ridiculous it really is. First of all, you stubbornly use the hardest method when an easier solution is available at no consequence. Secondly, you seem to assume the average user is some kind of inhuman idiot lacking any form of muscle memory and unable to perform the slightest action without consciously considering it first. "Select speed from radial menu" should be one action, not "activate Radial menu -> Mouse gesture to Max-speed -> release radial menu", what kind of idiot has to think about and get flustered by something so simple to make natural? When you take a step do you say "ok now I have to put one foot forward -> slow down to make sure the foot touches down in front of me -> place foot directly flat on the ground -> put weight onto placed foot -> etc"?

I said it's ridiculous and didn't add more because your whole 12-step-process speaks for itself. Anyone can see it as a silly attempt to overcomplicate.
It's logic won't speak for itself if you read it with a conformational bias, you only look for the ridiculous so you can dismiss it, not the relevant comparison.

I HAVE EXPLAINED THIS ALREADY! The point of going into that detail for the 12 step process is I give the SAME detail for the COMPARISON with doing the same in Crysis 2!

-Tap sprint to start sprint
-hold jump at right point

That is AS MUCH detail as the 12-step process, when to hold the radial-menu, the gesture, and to release are each. I have explaiend why it is ridiculous TWICE now.

This is so pointless. There is a longer delay between pressing the button and the game to even realize that a jump needs to be initiated than any other game I can think of. Done.
This makes it seem like you aren't even reading what I say, I HAVE given you games to think about. And really, are we talking about a SIGNIFICANT delay here? No. You say that double tapping (pressing, releasing THEN pressing again) is as good as instantaneous yet tapping and releasing is unbearable?!?! Hypocrisy.

It's been a while since I've played CoD, but I'm guessing it isn't a tap to crouch, hold to prone situation like you say. You probably crouch immediately when the crouch button is pressed and go into prone after it's held. That's different, and only comparable to a jump where pressing space immediately makes you jump, but holding it while in the air makes your jump continue higher. That is a common use of holding jump for a variable height seen in most platformers, that is entirely different than Crysis 2 where the type of jump can't even be considered until you've let go of the button.If however in CoD the player does indeed not crouch/prone until the button is released, then that sounds like a clunky system.
You guessed wrong. Call of Duty's crouch system is exactly like I describe.

You may assume a certain continuous movement mechanism for CoD but will not give the same benefit to Crysis 2 as we've seen established in crysis 1 how double tap can work that way.

The (sprint) features in both games are balanced to work certain ways in their respective games. In Crysis 2, the relationship of your sprint to the enemy/environment does not allow for the same strategies that the relationship between speed sprint and the enemy/environment does in Crysis 1. They are not used for the same purpose. The sprint in Crysis 2 is used for the same purpose that the regular sprint in Crysis 1 is used for.
They are very much used for the same purpose, for quickly closing distance on your enemies to use close range attacks or to quickly flee to cover.

The regular sprint in Crysis 1 is just too slow with so little cost in any finite resource (suit energy or stamina) that it is used pretty much all the time I can spare my pinkie. I'd very much like to get away from using the term sprint but in crysis 1 it IS called the "sprint" key. Anyway, Crysis 1, holding down "sprint" key (in any mode except Max Speed) only increases movement speed to a run, a sustainable run.

This is quite common in older games, you'd have a Run and Walk. Either the game would be "always run" and had a walk-key, or "always walk" an you'd have to hold down a key to run. Other games had a check box for "always run" or "always walk" and the "run" or "walk" key used as needed. But these were not sprints, you didn't go much faster and they were sustainable, you could go at any speed as long as you liked.

That's what I feel is the case with Crysis 1. The "sprint" key is properly a "run" key and you'd only enter speed mode to "Sprint" (it gives no other significant benefits) holding the sprint key where it might as well be a latent function, not a mode.
Treblaine said:
Now "sprint" semantically means more than "move faster". It is moving as fast as you can at a sacrifice of sustainability, you can only sprint for a few seconds. Not a marathon where you "run" for several hours. In every mode but Max-speed, holding the sprint key you don't move as fast as you can, you move at a sustainable speed and it's dumb that you cannot shoot in that mode.
Now tell me where in that definition it says we're only allowed to go faster when our nanosuits have energy. If you're out of suit energy, it is impossible to go faster than the default movement speed. In Crysis 1 the suit is an auxiliary device meant to take the character beyond normal limits, I suppose being able to sprint indefinitely isn't as realistic, but where actual gameplay is concerned the options are more than Crysis 2 gives you.
The nanosuit energy is a finite resource, though infinitely replenished it quickly runs out (much like a stamina bar). If you are out of stamina it is impossible to sprint. So really sprinting in Max Speed mode is the proper sprint, as fast as you can go for a short period.

The suit allows you to sprint AT ALL with such a huge weight on your legs of an armoured exoskeleton and weapons. If you sprint indefinitely it's not a sprint. The only proper sprint in the suit is in max-speed mode.

That'd be a decent point if it didn't ignore that the Crysis 1 speed sprint is used for different reasons than your normal sprint [i'm so confused which sprint you are talking about, I presume you mean the previous point I debunked], and that speed mode offers other speed related perks than just movement speed while standing [again, unproven or insignificant], and that this speed is available in cloak thus negating the trade-off there, and that the slowdown is a consequence balanced to act as a slowdown relative to the rest of the game and not as reverting to default speed.

The games both have default speeds, relative to the game they exist in. You say that these things are proportional to their games then compared raw speeds without context. The Crysis 2 default speed isn't simply "Crysis 1 in speed mode", it's the default movement speed, built to exist as a default movement speed with certain enemies and environments in mind. And you just made up that bit about Crysis 2 default movement being equal to moving in speed mode.
There is a trade off using Crysis-2 sprint in Cloak, that is the energy consumption goes up geometrically. Same with armour mode.

I didn't "make it up" that crysis 2's default movement speed is the same as the movement speed in Crysis 1 when in Max-Speed mode (or in other modes with "sprint" key held down), I stated that was my genuine subjective assessment of speeds. That and the developers saying that effectively strength + speed mode are always on.

Objective comparisons will be here soon, my PC is in the shop getting a replacement motherboard and I'll get out my FRAPS for a comparison. I'm still trying to think of a way to do an objective comparison, probably something using the field-of-view on my screen as a guide.

Treblaine said:
"when something becomes passive it loses the whole purpose for even existing as a separate thing due to being balanced into the rest of the gameplay and losing uniqueness."

Why should it be that it's "purpose" is to be a "separate thing"? This is ridiculous and I'll tell you why it is ridiculous, because you are expecting that a button has to be held down to do something mundane as moving forward at a steady and continuous pace, just to give it "uniqueness" and "balance". What we are talking about here is holding down shift to move at a constant high speed, which though labelled sprint isn't a sprint. A sprint by definition is your fastest run that you cannot sustain for long.

Just hold the W key. Going back to Crysis, it pisses me off hold I was constantly holding down the Shift-key in Crysis 1, and hold I couldn't fire while holding it.
Call it sprint, call it running fast, I don't care. What you call it doesn't change its function. If you want to fire while moving at the speed of a regular sprint (or regular fast run or whatever is important to you that it's called) then switch to speed mode. You lose the additional armor and gain the ability to fire while moving quickly, and if you're in danger then switch back and forth between them as needed.

You also can fire immediately while sprinting, it slows you down to the normal running speed but if you're still holding sprint when you let off the trigger you instantly continue sprinting as usual. Firing in small bursts makes the slowdown minimal. This is more than what Crysis 2 offers, in which trying to fire while sprinting forces you to completely slow before even pulling the gun up to a firing position and you have to release and redo the sprint after you finish firing. So firing in small bursts while sprinting is inefficient and ineffective in Crysis 2 whereas in Crysis 1 the sprint is barely affected.

The options are there for people to use them, and those who utilize those options fare better than those who don't. Giving the option increases the range of possible skill, making it automatic for everyone allows for no chance of getting better.
Yes, what you call it may not change its function but should be named appropriately for it's actual function and limitation.

And please stop saying "just switch to X mode" we've already addressed the many problems with that, the awkwardness of switching modes (double tapping or radial menu) and the sacrifices, how I might want to be in armour or cloak mode. You can't just "switch back and forth when needed", bullets are flying and I need to be in a mode BEFORE the enemy takes action, I can't constantly be reactive, I have to be pro active but can't as I always need to be in a different mode.

Treblaine said:
Yeah, I went back to Crysis and weirdly enough I now CAN jump while holding down sprint. The change came after a loading screen to the next level after (where Prophet gets carried off) it suddenly works. Anyway, I tried the double-tap jump as you suggested and I noticed something I suspected in your video. Even though you sprint forward in Speed-mode and can double-click space to perform super jump, the vectors are NOT combined like in Crysis 2. That is to spite speeding forward at the speed of a car your point from jump is no higher than if you were just in strength mode pressing W and then Space key. It's really weird, I seem to change direction in air with forward velocity increasing and turning to vertical velocity. Very weird.
I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. Do you expect to go higher when combining sprint speed and a strength jump?

And I saw you mention to someone else that hitmarkers were new to the series in Crysis 2 and I'd like to point out that when you shoot someone in Crysis 1 your reticule turns red to indicate they were hit.
Yes I expect to go higher AND further! I had huge forward speed then added great force propelling me upward. I could clear the minefield and fence surrounding most bases if I could do this, but if I am able to activate Max-Strength-jump then forward velocity is lost. So I get the height to make it over the fence but I fall short and land in the minefield.

Hit-markers in Crysis 1 singleplayer or multiplayer? Because I'm aiming down sight and shooting enemies in Crysis 1 single player and I'm not getting any kind of marker or indication of bullet impacts other than how the enemy reacts. The only "hitmarkers" I get in Crysis 1 is when MY CHARACTER gets shot a red ring fills around my reticule.

1:25

No HUD indication of any hit.

So in summary.

-The strength-punch in Crysis 2 is not unreasonable due to how established the charge shots are and how manageable a delayed impact is in games where one-hit-kill melees are vital (L4D2)

-Re-emphasise the distinction in jumping in Crysis 1 and Crysis 2, how no significant control is sacrificed at huge benefit in practicality, especially for precedent set by previous computer games.

-Beyond the simplicity of the super jump there is the increased capability, how in crysis 2 you can fully combine the forward and vertical velocity, pointing out how in crysis 1 super jumping even from super sprint cancels the sprint's forward velocity.

-How the "action on release" has precedence that means it is no fundamentally significant impediment to gameplay.

-Sprint in Crysis 2 is a proper sprint and properly accessible with all other features undetectable or insignificant (not worth the time to switch mode). While it is slower, it is not fundamentally different.

-The movement is Crysis 2 is comparable to Crysis 1 but the run/walk distinction familiar in many previous games.

-No hitmarkers in Crysis 1 single player.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
After four years, I finally got around to finishing Crysis 1... I abandoned the PC version sometime back when I ran into my save got corrupted (it kept crashing on start-up), so gave the 360 version a spin.

Honestly, I didn't care for it as much as Far Cry and Crysis 2. I thought Far Cry had much more epic (and less confusing) level design. While Crysis 2 had smaller levels, I thought it did a much better job of presenting areas with multiple approaches. And having played Far Cry, Crysis 1's jungle levels gave me a pretty major case of deja vu... and were less interesting to boot. The WWII relics you found lying around Far Cry made it much more interesting to explore, while I found nothing of the sort in Crysis.

Storywise, I thought Crysis 1 had the barest bones of a story, basically a sci-fi Call Of Duty, with an awful genre switch halfway through the game... not unlike the awful genre switch of Far Cry, which substituted open-world levels against reasonably smart soldiers for really dumb monsters in corridors. Crysis 2 handled the genre switch better than either game, even if it simply gave the aliens legs. The alien spaceship levels were jaw-droppingly beautiful right up until the moment I realized what a confusing mess of a level I was in.

So, final analysis. Not really a generic shooter, but the coolness of the nanosuit wasn't awesome enough to offset putting me in a samey environment that was less interesting than the previous jungle environment Crytech gave us in Far Cry. I feel about it much the same way people feel about Crysis 2. I see all the stuff I like, but I think they managed to surgically excise a lot of the stuff I thought Far Cry did really well.

Breadline

Mar 25, 2012
Treblaine said:
This thread has become so bloated with your vague "it's close enough to not matter to me and therefore you neither" guessing and your compromising argument. You can theorize, but don't expect to prove anything substantial. It's been made clear multiple times that you don't know what you're talking about, and you constantly avoid my main argument in favor of a similar sounding one. It's disappointing that you won't understand, but this is getting pointless.

(Also I tried Modern Warfare on my roommate's computer and turns out I wasn't wrong. Not only are there separate keybingings for crouch and prone as toggle or hold but the change stance key works exactly like I said where you crouch immediately upon keypress and only move into prone after it's been held, which is different than Crysis 2's jumping/punching/throwing system. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised by now that you just kinda guessed at it and claimed correctness.)

I'll just respond to your summary, and provide my own summary. Otherwise this will never end. Of course you might not believe me, but I feel like someone who has played Crysis 1 and Warhead many times on Delta and the higher custom difficulties and done an ironman playthrough of Crysis 2 may understand the game a little better than someone who can't get past the controls and whose version doesn't even work right. So I'm done proving stuff to you, you can take my word for it or not.

Treblaine said:
-The strength-punch in Crysis 2 is not unreasonable due to how established the charge shots are and how manageable a delayed impact is in games where one-hit-kill melees are vital (L4D2)
It is unreasonable to me. I wouldn't complain about this if it wasn't an issue for me and I don't see how it's so vital for you to condemn me for having a problem with this. And in L4D2 you swing immediately on button press.

-In Crysis 1 you could strength punch immediately, any delay is because of the player, and strength punches are very effective on Delta and higher modified difficulties.
-In Crysis 2, the delay is imposed by the game, and strength punches are rarely able to be used effectively on the harder difficulties because of this delay, and there is no way to overcome it no matter how good you are at holding a button.
--This is a limitation on the player's control. An effective strategy has been made less effective by forcing a delay no matter the player's skill.

Treblaine said:
-Re-emphasise the distinction in jumping in Crysis 1 and Crysis 2, how no significant control is sacrificed at huge benefit in practicality, especially for precedent set by previous computer games.
Control of how quickly you can jump if you need to react quickly to a situation is sacrificed. That "practicality" is just easier controls (unless you're arguing for the realism behind a sci-fi super suit and ignoring gameplay), which while important, mean nothing to those who don't find Crysis 1 to have difficult controls.

Treblaine said:
-Beyond the simplicity of the super jump there is the increased capability, how in crysis 2 you can fully combine the forward and vertical velocity, pointing out how in crysis 1 super jumping even from super sprint cancels the sprint's forward velocity.
This is not true. Speed sprinting can be combined with a strength jump to go further than one would normally strength jump while sprinting regularly. It's not as far as the long jump, but then Crysis 2 has no true long jump anyway (explained later). Either way, I don't really have much of a opinion on this as I can't think of any situations that required the height of a strength jump with the distance of a long jump.

Treblaine said:
-How the "action on release" has precedence that means it is no fundamentally significant impediment to gameplay.
Not really sure if this was supposed to make sense, what does the "action of release" have precedence over and how does that mean it doesn't hamper gameplay?

-In Crysis 1 you could strength jump immediately, any delay was because of the player, and it could be used to swiftly move around the battlefield without waiting.
-In Crysis 2 the delay is imposed by the game, and strength jumps cannot be quickly strung together or used immediately if circumstances changed and required an immediate strength jump. And there is no way to overcome this no matter how good you are at holding a button.
--This is a limitation on the player's control. They have less control over when to strength jump because the game forces them to wait.

Treblaine said:
-Sprint in Crysis 2 is a proper sprint and properly accessible with all other features undetectable or insignificant (not worth the time to switch mode). While it is slower, it is not fundamentally different.
Not worth the time for you but it's worth it for me. The other features may be insignificant to you but they aren't to me. The distance increase of sprint jumping compared to regular jumping in Crysis 2 is proportional to the distance increase of "running fast" jumping compared to regular jumping in Crysis 1. This is because sprinting in Crysis 2 is only functionally comparable to "running fast" in Crysis 1. The speed sprint long jump takes you many times further, in Crysis 2 it takes you the same extra distance that "running fast" does which is to say it doesn't take you close to even twice as far. The speed sprint is fundamentally different and effective strategies have been lost.

-In Crysis 1 the relationship between the speed of sprinting in speed mode and the enemies/environment allows for quickly darting around in a manner that can confuse enemies. In addition, Crysis 1 has a powerful long jump that can send you hurdling into an enemy or location of your choosing.
-In Crysis 2 the relationship between the speed of sprinting and the enemies/environment doesn't let you manipulate them or your position in the same way and the long jump is pathetic. Sprint is only used to get from one place to another a little faster which is the same function that "running fast" in Crysis 1 performed. Despite this, you don't even have the option to run fast in Crysis 2 without using suit energy and it can't be used at all if your suit energy has diminished.
--This is a limitation of the player's control. The strategies of darting around the battlefield, confusing the enemy AI so that they can't follow your movements, being able to launch yourself to a spot, have been lost. The player is no longer able to use sprinting to that effect because the player doesn't have control over how sprint is used, because in Crysis 2 there is only one sprinting speed, and it isn't comparable to sprinting in speed mode. In addition, all the other features that speed mode offered are now either automated or nonexistent, which allows no decision in the matter.

Treblaine said:
-The movement is Crysis 2 is comparable to Crysis 1 but the run/walk distinction familiar in many previous games.
Even if this were true, it means speed mode is automated now. The two games' default speeds and variations thereof are directly comparable because they were designed for their respective games and work in the same way, so Crysis 2's default speed is comparable to Crysis 1's default speed, not it's speed mode. Compare the functionality, not raw static variables without context.

-In Crysis 1 speed mode affected all of your actions. You had the choice of being in speed mode, armor mode, or strength mode. Cloak is a temporary mode, like armor is in Crysis 2. This led to players needing to be able to efficiently and effectively switch between them as needed to use the different powers together.
-In Crysis 2 there is no speed mode, any effects that speed mode would have provided are either nonexistent or automatic. The three modes are visible under the energy meter, two of which are temporary and the other only works in single delayed bursts or contextually. This forces you to almost always exist in some sort of generic mode that has no strategic value besides not being gimped.
--This is a limitation. The player no longer has the option to switch into a style that allows faster movement and actions.

Treblaine said:
-No hitmarkers in Crysis 1 single player.
Not really a big deal to me because needing hitmarkers in singleplayer is silly anyway, but your crosshairs do turn red to indicate you've hit something/someone. You know, in case you couldn't tell by the blood spray and your target flinching and crying out.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Hobonicus said:
1 - in for the high jump:
really, I seem to be able to leap just as high up landing on my feet onto ledges above my head, either way it's close.

2 - Balanced for lean:
I give a detailed objective example of practicality, you again just give opinion with no explanation could do better than just give your opinion

3 - The future is Nano-something:
again it would be nice to get more than just opinion that you don't like Nanovision when I give an objective explanation.

4 - Vertical Limit:
you mean the non-linear verticality in Crysis 1 like undulating hills? This doesn't have any significant difference on gameplay. You seem to have missed how I mentioned that the openness of Crysis 1 maps is usually wasted or is an obvious route to skip parts of the game.

5 - Finders keepers:
yes I understand the joy of exploration, do you understand the concept of not asking the game to point things out? I'm not arguing semantics, I'm arguing practicalities.

8 - Physically impossible:
A game shouldn't stand on gimmicks, procedurally destructible environment that does have gameplay potential but that wasn't used in Crysis 1. That makes it a gimmick, a trivial flourish, it's not essential to gameplay. The main gamepaly problem is lack of consistency, it main enemy emplacements like guard towers and pillboxes are indestructible while almost superfluous shanty huts can be knocked down.

9 - Pugilist Power?
I ask you to prove fists are more powerful after I provide evidence they are for all gameplay purposed equally powerful... and you jsut reassert the same unsupported claim.
You are trying to have it both ways with your "separates the men from the boys" comment, to be insultingly dismissive when it suits you then irreverent when that suits you. Don't think you can jsut wave this away, you deal with this with an apology as breadline did and endeavour to put it behind you.

10- Tactically underslung:
For goodness sake, if the same principal was applied to other game you'd have a serious problem with Half Life 2 for not having the Satchel Charge like in Half Life 1. It was an under barrel attachment that alerted the enemy but got an easy takedown, as a stealth weapon it wasn't very useful, easy to see how it got lost in the shuffle.

11- Die Hard Mode:
Demanding Harder difficulty is a cop-out non-answer, especially as I have tried it and it applies doubly so there, you can NEVER take chances with low health, the probability of death is so high you must seek cover to heal when it goes low. You clearly haven't given my argument much thought otherwise you wouldn't have given that excuse. Anyway, is't no HUD-health bar a step in the way of realism, a suit is a mechanical device so it makes sense it has a definite readout but the human body is not, though the nano suit can heal it.

12- Prone to disagreement:
I don't care that the feature isn't there. I DO CARE that someone would dislike the game so much because it wasn't there.
There is hardly any tall grass in Crysis 1 (it's bushes and short grass) that reminds me a lot of Metal Gear Solid 3, that's a game where prone was useful with various passive-camouflage uniforms and lots of knee high grasses. And of course, Crysis 1 being in a city there was hardly any grass at all. I miss prone like I miss prone in Half Life 2. Don't create a false dichotomy of comparing Crysis 2 only to Crysis 1.

13 - Suit Modes Suck:
You cannot mix modes in Crysis 1. So statements like "i find the strategy and skill involved in mixing modes fun" is irrelevant to actuality. You can chain them, switch to armour mode right AFTER you get shot (which is pretty useless) You're damn right about the RPG analogy, and you can't suddenly pull the analogy away when it fits with something you don't like to have revealed.

14 - Charge you can Believe in:
If you refuse to see the strategy or tactics in planning a shot then that is your wilful denial of how thinking ahead IS strategy. If you are running up to enemies and only start holding the punch button when tou run into their hit box, wishing it was instant like in Crysis 1, then that ins your prejudice and ignorance getting in your way. You plan ahead, by the SMALLEST AMOUNT

I tried to play it your way, constantly switching suit modes and it is utter bollocks for how it forces me to keep taking my head out of the world to that bloody radial menu or be using keys in contradictory ways. I am used in my muscle memory that S is walk back, except now I have to add on top that double-tap S is armour mode, that's bullshit because I don't actually think "press S key to move back" I think "move back" and my muscle memory goes to S. Now I have to think double step back is armour. Or double crouch is Cloak, this is ridiculous.

Holding keys for magnitude fits with my muscle memory and MOST PEOPLE'S muscle memory of how to play games. If I want to move forward a little bit, I tap the key, and hold it to move forward. If I want to fire at a low single-shot rate, I tap the left it, and hold for full auto. In COD, I want to crouch I tap crouch, if I want to crouch right down so prone, I hold prone. If I want to melee, I tap the it, if I want a super hit, I HOLD IT!

15- Leap of Faith:
The significance of the jumping in Crysis 2 is how the full vertical velocity of super-jump is fully combined with the forward velocity of the sprint to give BOTH length and HEIGHT! Can't do that in crysis 1, you can sprint and jump but is you max-speed sprint and try to activate max-strength jump the forward velocity is reduced to if you were just running forward.
This is a big deal for how many obstacles require distance and height of jump, like a minefield and fence. Like jumping over a car, completely clearing it, maintaining forward momentum.

16 - Vision based on movement
Now RUNNING while keeping eyes on enemy, that makes sense, though you "run" in Crysis 1 by holding down the "sprint" key in any mode except max-speed. Silly, right? It's definitely run as it is sustainable and NOT as fast as you could be moving.
I don't have a problem that I can't shoot while in Max-Speed sprint. Sprint is supposed to be moving as fast as you possibly can for a brief unsustainable period. That means your arms are occupied pistoning up and down so you can't really aim your gun. But the "sprint" in other modes isn't a sprint, to spite how it is labelled, it is NOT as fast as they could possibly move and it is sustainable. It is simply a "run" and really it should be the default speed.

18- Glitchy Crysis? NO!
Come on, you can't seriously claim Crysis never has any glitches or hit detection problems? No stuttering of framerate nor anything? Crysis 2 cleaned this up hugely though. And I understand crysis 1 has "bullet physics".

-Home run
Slide is far more than dolphin dive, it is an offensive move that also allows you to move quickly under a brief low section while retaining speed and momentum

-DIRECTLY Sprinting and/or super jumping WHILE SAYING IN Armour Mode or Cloak IS a new feature.

-clambering ledges definitely adds to gameplay as you can still reach areas where you would fall just short of landing your feet on

-Not being able to sprint sustainably is what DEFINES a sprint! It is the fact that sprint uses up suit energy which makes it a sprint.

-You have about the same cloak time as spy in TF2, that seems quite balanced on the small maps of TF2.

-You say it's a shame not having direct access to modes other than Armour + CLoak, but you CAN directly sprint, which is the only tangible use of Max-Speed mode, and each strength ability is directly accessed.

-Armour mode is far more effective, mainly you can take more than 2 bursts before needing to take cover and is balanced by it's continuous energy consumption and slightly slower movement, so you cannot constantly spam it but use it when in the shit.

-Modules FTW

-Well marking equipment can be pretty useful in many of the larger battles

-Going Rambo with heavy machine guns is great, not necessarily against the CELL troops though but the tougher enemies.

-Come on, hitmarkers of crysis 2 were visible even when aiming down sights and were really useful for long range. Not is Crysis 1 as such.

If we're going to make car comparisons it's more like a stick shift vs flappy-paddle gearbox, you can still directly choose the gear (mode) you want, still with total control only far more directly.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Breadline said:
dast snip
I see no problem with posting this much, but isn't it a bit hypocritical for you to object to long posts... in a post that takes up 3 pages in standard format in openoffice writer.So I don't know what you are getting at objecting to length or vaguness, I have not been vague, I have been specific.

What's the problem with compromising? I'm willing to adapt when I'm proven wrong, I am flexible, are YOU! I have done more than theorize and speculate, I've given some objective measures. I haven't avoided your argument, I have meticulously covered EACH of your points.

Your assessment of CoD could easily be coloured by bias, you see it "instantaneous" in CoD but see definite lag in Crysis 2. As fas as I remember it tapping jump in Crysis 2 I "instantaneously" jumped in the air.

It's a shame you are skipping straight to the summary as it is so hypocritical, you are doing precisely what you allege against me:

"you constantly avoid my main argument"

That is PRECISELY what you are doing by only addressing my summary

I give you a REASON to accept it from the precedents set by previous games where it has not been criticised then you just flatly say its "unreasonable". You are misusing the English language. What you mean is "I unreasonably still don't like it".
-Crysis 1 you could not strength punch immediatley, you needed to switch to strength mode
-You dogmatically stick to the "no matter how good you are at holding the button" when I have told you; you start to press the button BEFORE you are right up to them, for example WHILE you are running up to them to super-punch them. I do this in Left 4 Dead 2, I click the melee as I am closing in on them.
-you are being dogmatic saying that a fraction of second delay is not strategic or tactical

Hard sci-fi, not "magical" sci-fi where ANYTHING is possible because, err, science. A super jump reasonably takes a fraction of a second to execute and when would you need to LITERALLY INSTANTANEOUSLY super jump? I mean literally, not very quickly (2/3 of a second) but milliseconds? Is it because it's too complicated for you to lead your actions like you lead your shots and so on.
I'm not the only one to find that Crysis 1 had awkward controls and annoying gameplay mechanics.

No, it is true and you can see it in that video test you posted. You can clearly see when sprinting in max-speed mode you Max-strength jump in (presumably double-tapping space) and much of the forward velocity is suddenly lost. If you had read the body of my argument rather than complaining I don't read the body of your argument and only looking at my summary, then you'd have seen an example of wanting the "hyper-jump" that is full upward thrust and forward thrust, to clear the fence and minefield surrounding most bases.

Why would you quote me WRONG and ask for an explanation

"Action ON release" (what I said) =/= "action OF release" (what you said I said)

Action on release is quite clear, the action (regular jump) starts on release of the key (space key)

This would be obvious if you read more than the summary!

-you can't endlessly offload responsibility on the player when the game is at fault for putting undue load on them. This argument doesn't work as it would also say that thumbstick aiming is equal with using mouse aim and it's just the player who isn't skilled enough.
-When would you need to use strength jump "immediately" with not even a fraction of a second delay, considering the magnitude of the movement it makes sense. If you do need to use strength-jump immediately in Crysis 1 but you are in armour mode you need to use the radial menu or double tap, which is almost the same speed but more prone to error.
-forcing to wait is not less control, it's a reasonable limitation.

How. How is max-speed mode ACTUALLY worth it to you, other than satisfying a placebo effect of "I'm going faster". The point of faster reload is so that you can be shooting again sooner, but if you have to take TIME to switch to one mode (not forgetting the vulnerability in that mode to either being shot or discovered for not being in armour or cloak) and then time to switch back, it's not worth it in any practical sense.

It's hyperbole to call the sprint in Crysis 2 equivalent in speed to the "Sprint De-facto run" of crysis 1:

Only 3 meters/sec different, it's damn near as close, slower but still close. "Sprint as de-facto Running" in Crysis 1 is definitely not 23 miles per hour.

-those extra 3 meters/sec don't make the fundamental different you claim and it's not hard to confuse Crysis AI (either 1 or 2) you can hurtle in both games
-long jumps are not pathetic, especially considering the extra distance you ACTUALLY gain by using super-jump with it
-You cannot chalk up 3ms difference in speed as fundamentally destroying any ability to dart around the battlefield, and you ignore how the rate of consumption is different. Notice how only 1/4 to 1/3 of the suit energy was used in 30m in Crysis 2 yet was completely depleted in Crysis 1. The speeds are totally comparable. 23mph vs 30mph. For reference, Usain Bolt's average speed in his world record shattering sprints was 23mph over 100m, about the same the suit offers WHILE carrying a huge weight and jumping up to 20 feet in the air.

No. Speed is not automated now. It's just "walk key" function is ignored as it is redundant with crouch.

Crysis 2's default speed is comparable to Crysis 1's speed with "sprint" key held down (except in speed mode) not by semantics but by my subjective judgement and from what the developers said about how they designed Crysis 2.

-STOP talking about using suit modes together in crysis 1. It is dishonest as you KNOW that in Crysis 1 it is impossible to combine suit modes. It makes sense
-It has yet to be established that there was any significant effects of Speed-mode in Crysis 1. You could be missing the completely imaginary or insignificant, or longing for a false dichotomy. Do you understand the fallacy of a false-dichotomy? That something is better just because it could be worse.
Yes, that is the point, you ARE supposed to say in this base mode YOU FINALLY GET WHAT THE DEVELOPERS WERE TRYING TO DO! You keep complaining that crysis 2 isn't the same as crysis 1, well the developers changed it! You have FAILED to adapt! You are still stuck in the mindset of Crysis 1 being in one of those 4 modes WELL IT HAS CHANGED! The compromise is DIFFERENT! Now you have a general mode and then make compromises -with combinations - from there.
-Stop this. Please. You DO HAVE THE OPTION to switch into faster movement, sprint.
An don't act like you "no longer" have faster reload in one mode, you didn't in crysis 1 EITHER!

That's a non-answer. If hitarkers are valued in multiplayer, why can't they be valued in single player? Even on the lowest latency connection with most consistent hit detection it is satisfying to know when you have actually made solid hits. Very useful for when you CANNOT directly see your target because they are so far away, obscured by dust or objects or camouflaged by shadow or the background. It's just easier to track a hitmarker popping up than if the enemy is moving from being hit or because it jsut at that moment decided to crouch or suddenly turn.

Breadline

Mar 25, 2012
Treblaine said:
Your assessment of CoD could easily be coloured by bias, you see it "instantaneous" in CoD but see definite lag in Crysis 2. As fas as I remember it tapping jump in Crysis 2 I "instantaneously" jumped in the air.
Could be colored by bias? There's no could about it, it literally happens the way I described, the way you said was wrong. When I hit crouch in CoD, the character crouches without waiting. In Crysis 2, you have to wait for the key to be released before the game even starts to jump normally. That's well and good if you don't notice it, but I do.

Treblaine said:
I give you a REASON to accept it from the precedents set by previous games where it has not been criticised then you just flatly say its "unreasonable". You are misusing the English language. What you mean is "I unreasonably still don't like it".
-Crysis 1 you could not strength punch immediatley, you needed to switch to strength mode
-You dogmatically stick to the "no matter how good you are at holding the button" when I have told you; you start to press the button BEFORE you are right up to them, for example WHILE you are running up to them to super-punch them. I do this in Left 4 Dead 2, I click the melee as I am closing in on them.
-you are being dogmatic saying that a fraction of second delay is not strategic or tactical
What I mean to say is exactly what I did say: "It is unreasonable to me."
-I have fucking explained this over and over. Over. And. Over. The punch happens at the speed of a normal immediate punch because strength mode activates halfway through the animation.
-This ignores the whole point. There is simply no denying that strength punch has been given a forced delay. In harder difficulties you cannot just charge straight into the enemy preparing a punch. That lost of immediate use is precisely why the ability is gimped.
-Tactical only in a negative sense, no strategic opportunities are opened with this delay, only closed.

Treblaine said:
Hard sci-fi, not "magical" sci-fi where ANYTHING is possible because, err, science. A super jump reasonably takes a fraction of a second to execute and when would you need to LITERALLY INSTANTANEOUSLY super jump? I mean literally, not very quickly (2/3 of a second) but milliseconds? Is it because it's too complicated for you to lead your actions like you lead your shots and so on.
I'm not the only one to find that Crysis 1 had awkward controls and annoying gameplay mechanics.
I'm not gonna argue the sci-fi technicalities, you could just as easily say the suit gives you enough power to jump higher using the same amount of effort as you would a normal jump.

But why would I argue this if it wasn't an issue? Of all the other things I could mention in Crysis 2, why would I focus on this if you could sway my mind by saying "It's not really so bad." Of course there are times I need to immediately strength jump. I can't imagine to count all the times in Crysis 1 that an enemy has come around a corner and I've had to immediately strength jump + cloak up to a roof above while they light up the area below me.

Treblaine said:
No, it is true and you can see it in that video test you posted. You can clearly see when sprinting in max-speed mode you Max-strength jump in (presumably double-tapping space) and much of the forward velocity is suddenly lost. If you had read the body of my argument rather than complaining I don't read the body of your argument and only looking at my summary, then you'd have seen an example of wanting the "hyper-jump" that is full upward thrust and forward thrust, to clear the fence and minefield surrounding most bases.
Speed is lost, but you do go further than a normal sprinting strength jump. But like I said, Crysis 2 doesn't even have a long jump like Crysis 1, so your speed sprint and strength jump in Crysis 1 still takes you further.

Treblaine said:
Why would you quote me WRONG and ask for an explanation

"Action ON release" (what I said) =/= "action OF release" (what you said I said)

Action on release is quite clear, the action (regular jump) starts on release of the key (space key)

This would be obvious if you read more than the summary!
Jesus, sorry I mixed up "on" with "of". So let me rephrase: What does the "action ON release" have precedence over and how does that mean it doesn't hamper gameplay?

Treblaine said:
-you can't endlessly offload responsibility on the player when the game is at fault for putting undue load on them. This argument doesn't work as it would also say that thumbstick aiming is equal with using mouse aim and it's just the player who isn't skilled enough.
-When would you need to use strength jump "immediately" with not even a fraction of a second delay, considering the magnitude of the movement it makes sense. If you do need to use strength-jump immediately in Crysis 1 but you are in armour mode you need to use the radial menu or double tap, which is almost the same speed but more prone to error.
-forcing to wait is not less control, it's a reasonable limitation.
-If I could use a thumbstick as well as a mouse with no trouble, I'd argue the same thing. I have no problem with Crysis 1's controls. I think they could be better designed, but I got over any awkwardness and learned to use them well. Though I never thought the game put undue load on me.
-Using the radial menu or double tapping is quicker for me. How has this not sunk in yet?
-What? Forcing you to wait specifically is less control of when you can jump.

Treblaine said:
How. How is max-speed mode ACTUALLY worth it to you, other than satisfying a placebo effect of "I'm going faster". The point of faster reload is so that you can be shooting again sooner, but if you have to take TIME to switch to one mode (not forgetting the vulnerability in that mode to either being shot or discovered for not being in armour or cloak) and then time to switch back, it's not worth it in any practical sense.
So everything I mentioned about speed mode so many times before wasn't enough? You move faster for one, not sure why you say it's a placebo effect. Are you starting up a new case about how speed mode is all in my head? You move faster while crouching and prone, which is very useful when under fire behind cover or sneaking without cloak. Sprinting in speed mode let's you move even faster and long jump. Reloading some weapons is quicker, prepping explosives and missile launchers is quicker, switching weapons in case you run dry is quicker. All these things are very useful.

You say "it's not worth it in any practical sense" but then you haven't really played the game much have you? See, I have, and speed mode is worth it to me. Hell I'd rather they'd removed armor mode.

And let's make this clear: If I can switch modes faster than it takes to even start a strength jump in Crysis 2 then you need to stop using "it takes too much time to switch modes" as an arguing to say my perspective is wrong.

Treblaine said:
It's hyperbole to call the sprint in Crysis 2 equivalent in speed to the "Sprint De-facto run" of crysis 1:

Only 3 meters/sec different, it's damn near as close, slower but still close. "Sprint as de-facto Running" in Crysis 1 is definitely not 23 miles per hour.

-those extra 3 meters/sec don't make the fundamental different you claim and it's not hard to confuse Crysis AI (either 1 or 2) you can hurtle in both games
-long jumps are not pathetic, especially considering the extra distance you ACTUALLY gain by using super-jump with it
-You cannot chalk up 3ms difference in speed as fundamentally destroying any ability to dart around the battlefield, and you ignore how the rate of consumption is different. Notice how only 1/4 to 1/3 of the suit energy was used in 30m in Crysis 2 yet was completely depleted in Crysis 1. The speeds are totally comparable. 23mph vs 30mph. For reference, Usain Bolt's average speed in his world record shattering sprints was 23mph over 100m, about the same the suit offers WHILE carrying a huge weight and jumping up to 20 feet in the air.
You say that we should understand the games proportionally, then you don't. I've said that you can't use the same strategies you could in Crysis 1, but then you haven't really played Crysis 1 much so you wouldn't know, and the bit that you have is apparently specifically broken to fuck with me. So you choose not to believe me.

-Apparently those extra 3 meters (seriously? you don't think 3 meters/sec is significant?) do make a difference. And no you can't hurtle (long jump?) in Crysis 2. I've explained how the Crysis 2 "long jump" is only similar to the Crysis 1 running fast jump, I'm assuming your Crysis 2 is working well enough to test that.
-You should try actually seeing what a long jump is in Crysis 1. Some long jumps are sprinkled throughout but there's a nice one at about the 10:18 mark. Also check out 10:00 for a reason to use strength punch immediately.

-I guess I can just chalk it up to a 3m/s difference, or maybe it's the speedy long jump that can be used with not even a tenth of your energy being drained by speed sprint, or maybe the enemies' speeds are proportionally different. Whatever the reasons, strategies that were viable in Crysis 1 with speed sprinting don't work as well anymore. You can through out guesses, but this is what I've found having played both extensively.

Treblaine said:
No. Speed is not automated now. It's just "walk key" function is ignored as it is redundant with crouch.

Crysis 2's default speed is comparable to Crysis 1's speed with "sprint" key held down (except in speed mode) not by semantics but by my subjective judgement and from what the developers said about how they designed Crysis 2.

-STOP talking about using suit modes together in crysis 1. It is dishonest as you KNOW that in Crysis 1 it is impossible to combine suit modes. It makes sense
-It has yet to be established that there was any significant effects of Speed-mode in Crysis 1. You could be missing the completely imaginary or insignificant, or longing for a false dichotomy. Do you understand the fallacy of a false-dichotomy? That something is better just because it could be worse.
Yes, that is the point, you ARE supposed to say in this base mode YOU FINALLY GET WHAT THE DEVELOPERS WERE TRYING TO DO! You keep complaining that crysis 2 isn't the same as crysis 1, well the developers changed it! You have FAILED to adapt! You are still stuck in the mindset of Crysis 1 being in one of those 4 modes WELL IT HAS CHANGED! The compromise is DIFFERENT! Now you have a general mode and then make compromises -with combinations - from there.
-Stop this. Please. You DO HAVE THE OPTION to switch into faster movement, sprint.
An don't act like you "no longer" have faster reload in one mode, you didn't in crysis 1 EITHER!
-Again, don't tell me to stop using an argument on something that I have experience with and you don't. You may not be able to literally use suit powers on top of each other, but you can use them together, check that video I posted.
-Then don't believe me, I don't care.
-You've missed the point. Again. I'm not re-explaining it. Again. Go ahead and call this a cop-out answer. Again. It's not worth clarifying if it'll just fly over your head. Again.

Don't say I failed to adapt. I've done an ironman run of Crysis 2, I'm not bad at it. Understanding how and why the developers altered it doesn't change my feelings about the alteration. You seem to think my thoughts on the matter are some horrible abomination that needs purging. Just stop if this is gonna cause you to freak out.

Treblaine said:
That's a non-answer. If hitarkers are valued in multiplayer, why can't they be valued in single player? Even on the lowest latency connection with most consistent hit detection it is satisfying to know when you have actually made solid hits. Very useful for when you CANNOT directly see your target because they are so far away, obscured by dust or objects or camouflaged by shadow or the background. It's just easier to track a hitmarker popping up than if the enemy is moving from being hit or because it jsut at that moment decided to crouch or suddenly turn.
Hitmarkers are to give feedback due to lag compensation issues and singleplayer doesn't have lag. You can have your hitmarkers in singleplayer, I don't give a shit, I was just correcting something you said to someone else. I think they hurt immersion, but whatever. But how the fuck is literally telling you exactly how they work (your crosshairs turn red when you hit something) a "non-answer"? I'm gonna start using that for points you make now.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Probably because it is. Its a good game, it was fun to play, but it is a generic shooter. So is seriuos sam, but that doesnt make it bad now does it.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
I liked both games equally. Having a nanosuit and being able to troll people in multiplayer and the Ai in singleplayer never gets old. Then if you decided not to go stealth, you can hulk up and kill people with an SUV. Good times

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Treblaine said:
High jump - "close" isn't equal, but okay.

Lean - you gave me a reason why you find it awkward, not an objective reason as to why it's 'equally as awkward' as C2's version. i don't have those issues you do, i like the Q/E lean. so cool that you find it equally hard to use but i don't and the lean function in C2 is too inconsistent and picky to use properly.

Nanovision - why do you want more than an opinion? if we weren't allowing opinions you'd have been laughed out of this thread a long time ago. I don't like nanovision, i explained why.

linear verticality - and YOU seem to have missed a few great levels in C1.

Tactical Visor shortcuts - 'do you understand the concept of not asking the game to point things out' what do you mean by that because it sounds like you just agreed with me. i don't want the game to point things out but it sticks big yellow signs in my face, pointing things out.

Physics - i don't get it, you tout DX11 as a great new feature in C2 then say anythign that isn't immediately accessible to gameplay is a pointless gimmick? when did i say C1 stood on it's destruction? guard towers ARE destructible. i'd much rather have some destruction than all or nothing :/

fists - haha what? apologize for a harmless idiom? are you serious? i never meant any insult and you've blamed me for your overreaction. watch me wave it away, *wave*. i don't have the game availabel atm so i can't check but i do know fists do hit with more force and you move faster and can melee silently. and i just like having the option to use my fists.

tactical attachment - why do you meantion HL2? this is about Crysis... and this isn't some moral cause i have going like you seem to think, I just liked the tactical attachment in C1. and it IS stealthy.

health - idk what to say then. health regenerates very slowly in the harder difficulties so when you get hit you can't just hide and wait a few seconds. i prefer that system, it makes losing health a bigger consequence.

prone - why are you putting words in my mouth? i said I LOVED C2. I said it's the reason why i even checked out C1 in the first place. how can you just claim that i said differently like that, do you realize how damaging it is to discussion when you do that? and C1 had TONS of grass that prone could hide in, idk how you can say otherwise. and why would i compare C2 to other unrelated games? do you think all fps are the same with the same styles and mechanics and designs, that any concept can be applied to all of them? do you actually PLAY other games or just think about them.

suit modes - what are you talking about 'pull the analogy away when it fits with something you don't like to have revealed'? i said you went way too far into the rpg analogy because you seemed to assume that i just wanted standard rpg elements like the modules. chain/mix call it whatever, i find CHAINING them fun. happy? it's spectacular that you think you can call my opinion 'irrelevant to actuality'. i've never met someone so arrogant to straight up tell me that the fun i'm having is wrong.

Charging strength abilities - I'm not an idiot, i don't start charging a punch when i run into their hitboxes, remember i played C2 before C1. but the super strength stuff happens right away in C1, how can YOU ignore the strategy in that? strategy doesn't only exist by holding the player back. i didn't really mind having to hold the button for a stronger attack but once I got C1 i liked that method better because it let's me play without those constraints. it's too bad that you have trouble with the C1 controls, i did at first too.

jumping - you know that C2 doesn't have a long jump righT? so the distance and height in C1 is still greater.

sprinting in any direction - what are you talking about? the sprint in all other modes is a sprint where the character moves as fast as he's able without the suit giving him a boost which is where speed mode come in. nobody cares if you think it's unrealistic or labeled wrong.

Glitches? - well I never had any hit detection problems in either game. it doesn't seem unreasonable to not trust your version based on this thread.

slide - yeah that aspect of slide is neat. You said you don't play multiplayer though, but I do and it's rarely used as anything more than your standard dolphin dive there.

sprint/jump in armor mode - this seems like a picky way to get an automatic win or something. yeh you can't speed sprint in armor mode, though you can normal sprint. and it takes less than a second to strenght jump and switch back to armor, the time is pretty negligible...

clambering ledges - but like i said, it's not always consistent and sometimes gets in the way of jumps that would have landed just fine anyway. and the C2 levels were designed to put things high enough to force climbing up ledges instead of just letting us be able to jump high enough so it's not like they added clambering to save us from all those ledges they accidentally stuck too high.

more sprint business - you really like semantics with sprint don't you. I've always noticed that people argue semantics when they've got nothing else to fall back on. plenty of games have an unlimited sprint, it's a gameplay thing, call it whatever you want if it bothers you.

cloak - this isn't TF2...

direct access - I enjoy having modes more. and i don't get why you say speed mode only increases sprint? that's way wrong.

hitmarkers - i really only care about them in multiplayer, in singleplayer they just get in my way. that's one reason (of many) why i hated Homefront. totally took me out of the game when some multiplayer-centric feature popped up like i was an idiot who couldn't figure out myself if i'd hit someone.

And nope, i'm sticking by my manual/auto transmission analogy.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Breadline said:
<--- click for original post
Emphasis is no way of refuting bias. You could equally say the regular jump in crysis 2(non-super) is also instantaneous and without any bias. Reasonably the delay is insignificant, tap the space bar on your keyboard right now and notice how quick it resets, how it's too quick for you to even perceive.

Number 1

Unreasonable is the negative of with reason, without rational basis. It's not a subjective assessment as you use it. The word you are looking for is "intolerable". You are intolerant of the controls/mechanics of Crysis 2, which may be with or without reason. In this case, intolerance without reasons.

-Ah, now it's changed from "immediately" or "instantaneously" to the speed of the normal punch, admitting some lag. And of course you need to double click quick enough to beat the punch. But I'll give you this one, it might be slightly better to be able to double tap melee than to hold it down. But not at the cost of disabling suit modes.
There is still the matter of intuitiveness, a double tap doesn't fit with a
-I am not denying that there is a delay with delivering such a powerful punch, I am disputing the limitation of this.
"you cannot just charge straight into the enemy preparing a punch."
Why not? Why can you not prepare? Why are you willing to put in the significant time training your muscle memory to use radial menu but not the moderate effort learn to time your hits?
-So you admit is is tactical, but negative. So you are conceding to reason yet still rejecting by your subjective assessment. You are again dogmatically ignoring strategic options in how you can do this punch without disengaging Maximum Armour mode, that IS an extra strategic option.

Number 2
I think it is an issue not with the game but with your prejudice. You have gotten too comfortable with Crysis 2 controls and unreasonably reject the changes and fundamentally negative rather than against your subjective personal tastes.

"come around a corner and I've had to immediately strength jump + cloak up to a roof above while they light up the area below me."

The thing here is you do NOT have to super-jump instantaneously there, a fraction-second delay is not going to ruin that or even significantly affect it. And the best part of this example is how in Crysis 2 you can Cloak And then super-jump up WHILE REMAINING CLOAKED so they have no idea you even went up onto the roof! I would appear you just disappear while you go in least expected direction.

Number 3

This defies all the evidence. Evidence seen with how the height of super-jump in crysis 2 and how it is combined with sprint of Crysis 2 that is a mere 23% slower than the Max-speed-sprint in Crysis 1. The evidence of how forward velocity is lost, in the video you recorded and posted.

What you unreasonably refuse to address is how the LENGTH of the sprint jump and the HEIGHT of the super-jump add to an extremely dramatic and useful jump:

Number 4

-You don't seem to realise how similar your argument is to those console gamers who insist they are just as good with thumbstick as mouse-aim, they use the same excuses of blaming "player skill" and dismissing intuitiveness or aspects of ergonomics or muscle memory
-So you claim, that you can use Crysis 1 suit shortcuts quicker,
-less control is less things you can influence. Like not having a jump button, or having jump be like in Zelda where you just run towards and edge to auto-jump. You can still jump, you can still super-jump, just with more intuitive controls. You did read the part about muscle memory and "hold for magnitude"?

Number 5
Mentioned isn't enough when the speed benefit is so slight it may not even exist.
The faster default movement in Speed-Mode is null for how it's near as identical to movement speed in every other mode when "sprint" (run) key is held down, which can be held and used indefinitely. And that speed is closer to the base movement speed in Crysis 2 than the slowest speed in Crysis 1.
The reload speed and weapon switch speed is insignificantly quicker, not worth the time of switching modes and sacrificing the benefits of Cloak or Armour mode.

I think you are too committed and ingrained into crysis 1 to accept any differences. You are enamoured with crysis 1 and ideologically committed to it beyond objective reason.

I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm trying to get you to see that your issues don't come from fundamental failure with the game, but that the problem is with your refusal to accept the beneficial change due to, in part, your very particular personal tastes. I mean you want the armour mode in Crysis 1 removed!

Number 5.1

You are getting muddled again. That video shows how close Crysis 2 SPRINT is to the fastest sprint in Crysis 1. Not as fast, but only 23% slower still as fast as the fastest human in recorded history.

This shows, indirectly, how Crysis-2-sprint is most definitely not close to the same speed as when the "sprint-key" is held down in Armour/Strength/Cloak mode nor the movement-speed in Max-Speed mode but is very close to the fastest sprint of Crysis 1.

-Of course 23% difference is a significant difference but it is not a FUNDAMENTAL difference. I never argued it wasn't significant, and if I did it was in error and I retract it. I disputed your assertion that it was a fundamental difference. You have explained similarity to Crysis 1, unconvincingly as it makes inaccurate assertions as I have found in MY testing and corroborated with the video demonstration of speed and the very video of testing you supplied.
-What makes you think you cannot perform the same distance jumps in Crysis 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgzJZw4XaNQ) I remember doing the same and here are some. As for that super punch at 10:00, the enemy sneaked up on him while he had his head buried in the radial-menu, and even with that time the 0.7 sec charge time was about the time it took from the enemy appearing on screen and him actually being hit.
-What do you mean "whatever the reason". YOU made the claim of FUNDAMENTAL failure and you don't have a reason?!?! The very definition of unreasonable.
This is the whole point of what I've been saying, your opinions are true, but they are unreasonable. There is no reason to conclude they aren't coloured by your prejudice.

Number 6

-I'm telling you to not use arguments based on false claims such as simultaneous use of modes in Crysis 1. To excuse yourself for your claims of experience is an Argument from Authority Fallacy.
-You should care, as I don't believe out of blind denial. I don't believe you because I HAVE looked and your claims have not materialised and you have yet to provide any proof!
-I have kept this reasonable, I gave a counter with reason, you can't throw up your arms and say "you've missed the point" and have that be anything other than a cop-out, patronising me that I just don't understand yet you won't actually explain it.

I does not follow for you to claim:
"The player no longer has the option to switch into a style that allows faster movement and actions."
After it has been established:
+at any moment you can sprint in Crysis 2 very fast (only 23% slower than in Crysis 1)
+Switching off Max Armour in Crysis 2 removes the speed penalty
+actions like reloading are not significantly quicker in Speed mode of Crysis 1
+base movement speed in C1 speed mode is indistinguishable from simply holding down shift key

Claims of doing an Ironman of Crysis 2 is not a rational argument of the game as it is, it is an argument from authority. It's not giving a reasons, it's another "I conclude because I'd know".

I am calm, I don't angry type. I'm working this out slowly, carefully and with reason for every point. You seem to be reacting rashly and emphatically rather than rationally.

Number 7

It's a non answer because the main time you'd need hitmarkers rather than HUD crosshair flashing is when you are aiming at long distance, using iron sights, not the HUD crosshairs.
It doesn't answer for the lack of hitmarkers being consistent, seen even when aiming down sights.

What you fail to grasp is the REASON I use the term "non-answer" is you don't answer the challenge. Then you make an Argument from Incredulity acting like this gives you license to abuse the reasonable use of "non-answer" inappropriately. That would be immature.

I'm sorry if you've gotten mad by this, but I have to

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Edit: this is Breadline by the way, I was on my roommate's computer to test Crysis 1 and forgot to change logins.

Treblaine said:
Emphasis is no way of refuting bias. You could equally say the regular jump in crysis 2(non-super) is also instantaneous and without any bias. Reasonably the delay is insignificant, tap the space bar on your keyboard right now and notice how quick it resets, how it's too quick for you to even perceive.
I find the delay imposed from forcing jump on key release compared to jump on key press a problem, hence why I complain. It's ridiculous that you've moved into denying all my points by saying I'm biased then stick by that "it's insignificant" argument as if that's any more objectively true. I can perceive the difference just fine, thank you. But then I'm a super human who can perform a 12-step process without fail, so maybe I have an advantage there.

Treblaine said:
Unreasonable is the negative of with reason, without rational basis. It's not a subjective assessment as you use it. The word you are looking for is "intolerable". You are intolerant of the controls/mechanics of Crysis 2, which may be with or without reason. In this case, intolerance without reasons.
Oh boy, more semantics. I AM BESTED BY YOUR WIT.

Treblaine said:
"come around a corner and I've had to immediately strength jump + cloak up to a roof above while they light up the area below me."

The thing here is you do NOT have to super-jump instantaneously there, a fraction-second delay is not going to ruin that or even significantly affect it. And the best part of this example is how in Crysis 2 you can Cloak And then super-jump up WHILE REMAINING CLOAKED so they have no idea you even went up onto the roof! I would appear you just disappear while you go in least expected direction.
...That fraction second of delay will get you killed on difficulties where a few shots will tear you to pieces. Getting killed is bad. Even if you cloak immediately, enemies start firing where they last saw you cloak, which would be the exact spot you're standing while you charge up your strength jump. In Crysis 1 you could hit strength jump and immediately switch to cloak, it's all over that last video I posted.

Treblaine said:
This defies all the evidence. Evidence seen with how the height of super-jump in crysis 2 and how it is combined with sprint of Crysis 2 that is a mere 23% slower than the Max-speed-sprint in Crysis 1. The evidence of how forward velocity is lost, in the video you recorded and posted.
Important: You keep ignoring this (even from other posters) so I want you to focus on the next few sentences.

The distance increase of sprint jumping in Crysis 2 is the same as the distance increase when "running fast" jumping in Crysis 1. Therefore, when you super jump in Crysis 2 and combine that upward velocity with the forward velocity of sprinting, it is comparable in Crysis 1 to strength jumping and combining that upward velocity with the forward velocity of the running fast jump. This of course, is totally doable in both games.

It is important to understand that Crysis 2 has no long jump ability like there exists in Crysis 1.

Treblaine said:
What you unreasonably refuse to address is how the LENGTH of the sprint jump and the HEIGHT of the super-jump add to an extremely dramatic and useful jump:

[hilariously boring video of generic jumping]
Do you... seriously expect to make a point with such a lame video? It's just him doing strength jumps like you could in Crysis 1 except constantly falling short and slowing down in places that he wouldn't have in Crysis 1. Hell, he even runs into the wall while waiting for the super jump to charge.

And as I said, the length of Crysis 2's sprint jump is the length of Crysis 1's running fast jump, which is easily combined with a strength jump.

Treblaine said:
-You don't seem to realise how similar your argument is to those console gamers who insist they are just as good with thumbstick as mouse-aim, they use the same excuses of blaming "player skill" and dismissing intuitiveness or aspects of ergonomics or muscle memory
-So you claim, that you can use Crysis 1 suit shortcuts quicker,
-less control is less things you can influence. Like not having a jump button, or having jump be like in Zelda where you just run towards and edge to auto-jump. You can still jump, you can still super-jump, just with more intuitive controls. You did read the part about muscle memory and "hold for magnitude"?
If a console gamer can use a thumbstick with the skill of someone who's good with a mouse then more power to them. And my argument looks like this: "You can still jump, you can still super-jump, just with less control of exactly when." That's also a perfectly valid sentence, no matter how much it pains you. Don't care what your ergonomically correct argument is when it doesn't apply to me, as I've said this is from the perspective of someone who has no issue with Crysis 1's controls. I actually find Crysis 2 has somewhat less intuitive controls because my character seems to just space out for a bit before responding when I hit certain buttons.

Treblaine said:
I think you are too committed and ingrained into crysis 1 to accept any differences. You are enamoured with crysis 1 and ideologically committed to it beyond objective reason.

I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm trying to get you to see that your issues don't come from fundamental failure with the game, but that the problem is with your refusal to accept the beneficial change due to, in part, your very particular personal tastes. I mean you want the armour mode in Crysis 1 removed!
Or you know there's the other option where I in fact do notice a difference because I've actually played the game more than I've incorrectly theorized about it. But then you seem too committed to proving me wrong to accept that "it's close enough to be insignificant to me" isn't an objective argument.

And it's astounding that you can read "Hell I'd rather they'd removed armor mode" when referring to speed mode's removal and then say "you want the armour mode in Crysis 1 removed!" You do understand how wrong that is right? How can I take you seriously when you try to manipulate things like this?

Treblaine said:
-Of course 23% difference is a significant difference but it is not a FUNDAMENTAL difference. I never argued it wasn't significant, and if I did it was in error and I retract it. I disputed your assertion that it was a fundamental difference. You have explained similarity to Crysis 1, unconvincingly as it makes inaccurate assertions as I have found in MY testing and corroborated with the video demonstration of speed and the very video of testing you supplied.
-What makes you think you cannot perform the same distance jumps in Crysis 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgzJZw4XaNQ) I remember doing the same and here are some. As for that super punch at 10:00, the enemy sneaked up on him while he had his head buried in the radial-menu, and even with that time the 0.7 sec charge time was about the time it took from the enemy appearing on screen and him actually being hit.
-What do you mean "whatever the reason". YOU made the claim of FUNDAMENTAL failure and you don't have a reason?!?! The very definition of unreasonable.
This is the whole point of what I've been saying, your opinions are true, but they are unreasonable. There is no reason to conclude they aren't coloured by your prejudice.
That sad video makes a return and continues to clumsily support me. And do you commonly start holding your melee button expecting an enemy to come around the corner at the exact instant required for the charge up to hit him? You keep speaking of inherent delays in games and people then assert that he could have immediately started the super punch because the clip you viewed without pressure had a .7 delay between the enemy appearing and him being punched. If that was Crysis 2 it would have been a 1.4 second delay. And "his head buried in the radial-menu"? It was done by the time the enemy came on screen.

And are you seriously quoting "Whatever the reason" when I gave three reasons in the sentence before? Did you really think I wouldn't notice such a blatant display of ignoring context to sound more persuasive?

Treblaine said:
-I'm telling you to not use arguments based on false claims such as simultaneous use of modes in Crysis 1. To excuse yourself for your claims of experience is an Argument from Authority Fallacy.
-You should care, as I don't believe out of blind denial. I don't believe you because I HAVE looked and your claims have not materialised and you have yet to provide any proof!
-I have kept this reasonable, I gave a counter with reason, you can't throw up your arms and say "you've missed the point" and have that be anything other than a cop-out, patronising me that I just don't understand yet you won't actually explain it.
You missed the point. You just don't understand. I've played the game more than you. If you refuse to understand what I'm saying, if you refuse to see all the proof I've given and is readily available, then I'm not gonna be suckered in to your attempts to walk me in circles.

Treblaine said:
I does not follow for you to claim:
"The player no longer has the option to switch into a style that allows faster movement and actions."
After it has been established:
+at any moment you can sprint in Crysis 2 very fast (only 23% slower than in Crysis 1)
+Switching off Max Armour in Crysis 2 removes the speed penalty
+actions like reloading are not significantly quicker in Speed mode of Crysis 1
+base movement speed in C1 speed mode is indistinguishable from simply holding down shift key
-This hasn't "been established". In fact, that's been established as false by anyone who understands that you cannot sprint when your energy is depleted.
-Good that you're aware of this! Now tell me how many strategic doors being able to temporarily gimp your movement opens up, and how all those new tactics make up for the ones lost from Crysis 1.
-This hasn't "been established". You have yet to figure out that you feeling something is insignificant does not establish that as a fact.
-It's only indistinguishable when you're performing no action while moving in the upright stance. Is that how you win all your battles? Just by moving at the enemy?

Treblaine said:
Claims of doing an Ironman of Crysis 2 is not a rational argument of the game as it is, it is an argument from authority. It's not giving a reasons, it's another "I conclude because I'd know".
I've given my reasons, they're all over the thread. I said that in response to you suggesting that I'm arguing from a position of frustrated ignorance. I said it to back up the validity of my experience because you suggested I didn't understand how or why these changes were made, and anyone can infer that someone who's played enough Crysis 2 to do a no deaths playthrough probably isn't someone who failed to adapt to the change.

Treblaine said:
I am calm, I don't angry type. I'm working this out slowly, carefully and with reason for every point. You seem to be reacting rashly and emphatically rather than rationally.
Caps lock sentences with exclamation marks in an argument must work differently in your culture then.

Treblaine said:
It's a non answer because the main time you'd need hitmarkers rather than HUD crosshair flashing is when you are aiming at long distance, using iron sights, not the HUD crosshairs.
It doesn't answer for the lack of hitmarkers being consistent, seen even when aiming down sights.

What you fail to grasp is the REASON I use the term "non-answer" is you don't answer the challenge. Then you make an Argument from Incredulity acting like this gives you license to abuse the reasonable use of "non-answer" inappropriately. That would be immature.
You don't know what "non-answer" means then. I gave you a correct and informational answer, you just didn't like it because it didn't meet the extra requirements that you hadn't yet specified. How immature of me.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Hobonicus said:

High jump - I mean so close it makes no difference. Especially with clamber.

Lean - What I mean is, where do you specifically put your fingers to lean with by holding Q or E? I state insurmountable problems and you just say you don't.
To even closely match the capability of Crysis 2, you have to not just lean, but edge around the corner AS you are holding lean in one direction. That means holding Q while alternately tapping A and D to edge forward and back around cover. Just try to do that, Hold Q while tapping A and D. That's my problem.

Nanovision - Opinions while valued to you don't have much discussion value. But the reasons for your opinions do. If you have nothing to add, then it's just another opinion on a planet of billions of people.

linear verticality - Specific examples of that in Crysis 1 please, I think there are they just a few isolated examples. It would be a stretch to argue it is to the same extent as Crysis 2.

Tactical Visor shortcuts - I don't think you understand me, when you use the visor to seek out the shortcuts you are ASKING the game to do something that apparently you don't want it to do. There are a dozen yellow labels but you don't have to zoom in on them. You could open the console command and enter cheats, but you don't.

Physics - DirectX 11 completely changes every part of the interaction with the world where it is almost entirely a visual medium, the collapsing shanty huts were just so tangential to the gameplay, it was what you passed along the way. Every time I fought the KPA they were in the open or in one of their positions that was indestructible.
I hit those guard towers with everything and they shrugged off rockets as if they were water balloons. Maybe you mean very specific guard towers in crysis 1?

fists - Well it would be nice to see something to back up those claims, right now it just seems to be your personal preference. You can see how it might get lost in the shuffle.

tactical attachment - I mention other games as a matter of principal, that crysis 2 is being treated unfairly and criticised for making decision that other games have gotten away with. After playing MGS4 I realise how easy it is to spam the tranq pistol for stealth, maybe that's why they removed it.
Remember, the set out to make Crysis 2 not Crysis 1.9! That's what Crysis Warhead was, taking everything the first ame was and adding more stuff.

health - You still get cues when your health has recharged without the health bar, from low, medium to jsut short of full health. It's somewhat more of a challenge but I've gotten used to it for the number of games that remove the health bar precisely as an element of challenge.

prone - Well you said you found Crysis 2 lacking and have been generally negative about it, I wasn't a stretch to say you disliked it for reasons like lack of prone. I suppose there is some long grass in Crysis 1 were prone would be useful, but none in Crysis 2.

suit modes - I'm not saying the fun you are having is wrong, I never doubted that you were having fun in crysis 1, I'm saying you are dismissing Crysis 2 unfairly. Why are YOU doubting the fun in directly combining suit modes and abilities?

Charging strength abilities - Sorry, but the way you phrased it, it sounded like you were actually running up to enemies and impatiently expecting hits to be instantaneous.

jumping - Crysis 2 most definitely does have the super-jump. The sprint is only 23% less that when used with the Strength-jump none of the forward velocity is lost and fully combines with upward thrust. You can see it demonstrated in the Crysis 2 parkour video. But in Crysis 1 if you use suit-shortcuts to super-jump while sprinting in max-speed mode the forward velocity is slashed to as if you were jsut running forward. You can see that in the video breadline shot and posted.

sprinting in any direction - Noooo... "sprinting as fast as you are able" is independent of any mode, it is as fast as an INDIVIDUAL is capable of. So Nomad or Alcatraz in their nanosuit, the fastest speed for former is in Max-Speed holding shift-key, for latter the fastest speed is pressing the sprint key. Both use a resource that is depleted faster than it recovers, suit energy, so is not sustainable.

sprint/jump in armor or cloak mode - It's not picky nor automatic-win to make a relevant point. Normal sprint is just a run that is about default movement speed. It takes less than a second to charge super-jump in Crysis 2, without any suit modes being broken at all.

clambering ledges - Doesn't it makes more sense that a super-soldier can clamber up ledges? It always annoyed me in crysis 1 how so much of the jump height was squandered from how I had to get my heels right above a ledge to make it rather than just up to wjere my character's arms would reach. About 6 foot of jump height was wasted and it was maximum-rage making a jump and landing an inch short and watching the ledge sail past in front of me. Almost all ledges in Crysis 2 were calmberable, unless they were rounded or lead to a place off-map.

more sprint business - Please, do not use the term "semantics" to dismiss detailed discussion. Semantics is the issue of word definitions, I am talking entirely of actualities, that you can't compare the jog/run of holding "sprint" in Crysis 1 (Strength, armour or Cloak) to the 37 Kilometers per Hour sprint in Crysis 2

cloak - Of course this isn't Team Fortress 2, the purpose of the comparison was to give another example of a game showing what is a useful amount of cloak time.

direct access - I enjoy modes too, but I only see Max Armour and Cloak as proper modes for how they have persistent continuous effects for long periods with steady resource consumption. Super punch and super jump make more sense as abilities.
I also don't see any tangible changes in Crysis 1 Speed mode other than sprint=key actually delivering a proper sprint so it might as well be a direct ability. If reload speed it to be increased, better done across the board with RPG style stat upgrades. Or if there was a speed mode it would have to be SUPER QUICK, such as more than 2x as fast.

hitmarkers - While you may not like them, they are certainly nice and set a level of consistency with online games like Team Fortress 2 and CoD (TF2 has audio rather than visual hitmarkers). There is the immediate feedback satisfaction of knowing that shot you tried so hard to aim was an actual hit. I do hope you aren't just rejecting this to make it easier to like Crysis 1 that doesn't have hitmarkers when aiming down sights?

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
Personally, I just found Crysis 1 to be just plain boring, It was way to open to the point that I got lost. I wasn't sure if it was trying to be like Skyrim or a shooter. Crysis 2 even lost its touch after one play through.

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Treblaine said:
lean - it's not hard to use your middle finger to hit Q or E, at least not for me. certainly not 'insurmountable' o_O

verticality - well maps like assault and onslaught were huge, open, had multiple objectives and secondary objectives that could be attacked at any angle or time usign a variety of very different tactics. just about every enemy encampment has multiple buildings, some more than one story, towers, large objects like crates and often situated on or near cliffs. the verticality in C2 rarely had more than one extra level in open areas, the only places it consistently had multiple levels were areas that the player was made to traverse linearly. There's some exceptions like some staircases leading up a few broken floors, but C1 has exceptions like that also such as a tall crane.

tactical visor shortcuts - you can't be serious. i never use the visor to seek out shortcuts, that doesn't stop them from being giant yellow signs that pop out whenever i have to use the visor to scope for enemies. nothing short of refusing to use the visor all together and losing it's other features stops me from seeing those giant yellow markers. they're there, it's impossible to not see them, you don't 'seek them out' because you can't miss them.

physics - you're seriously claiming that dx11 makes a gameplay difference and destruction physics don't? that's crazy. even when ANYONE can tell you that graphics don't change gameplay, you still say that something visual affects it and something directly tangible within the game world doesn't.

and this is only your experience, your opinion. you warned me against only posting my opinion, then you say that the destruction meant nothing to you. many enemies start inside those huts, they come out to attack you -_- i use the destruction all the time, you can make a house fall on enemies, destroy what they would use as cover, or use the broken pieces as a weapon.

and those metal watchtowers all over the place can be blown up.

tactical attachment - if HL3 didn't have a gravity gun would you say people shouldn't be upset over its removal because other games don't have it either? we're talking about the crysis series, stop trying to make this into some general moral issue concerning all fps just because you can't deny that the tactical attachment was removed.

suit modes - it is fun, but less fun than C1.

jumping - C2 has a high jump but no long jump, just a slightly farther jump that's also in C1, but C1 also has a long jump. you're comparing something that doesn't even exist in C2.

sprint/jump - but you can sprint jump in C1 too, you keep specifying the need to overlay these abilities when they aren't required to be used on top of each other in order to get the same effect. that's why i said you're being picky, because you're purposely stretching the requirements just past the point where you can say it technically can't happen in C1, despite that realistically changing nothing.

cloak - games are designed in different proportions... something that works well at a certain time in one game doesn't necessarily carry over to another. you MUST be aware of this, right?

hitmarkers - why would i mention homefront if i was only rejecting hitmarkers to help my case for C1? maybe hitmarkers give immediate satisfaction for YOU in singleplayer, but they make me feel like the game thinks i'm an idiot. If you shoot someone while aiming down your sights specifically to point directly at them and can't tell if you hit them then you've got bigger issues.