Why do people think adopting swearing into your vocabulary make you sound intellectual?

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
I don't think anybody actually thinks that. I don't know where you got that idea. Ideally, it's just a casual way of emphasizing a point.

megalomania

Apr 14, 2009
I'm sure the people who think it makes them sound smart are pretty stupid.

To paraphrase a philosopher: 'he who swears doesn't know and he who knows doesn't swear' ;)

Cookies to anyone who can tell me his name without having to resort to google!

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
I don't think I've ever heard someone say it makes them sound smart. Where'd you get that idea?

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
I don't think it makes me sound intelligent. When I do swear however, I think that I say my 'intellect' is not on a moral high ground and my feeling of frustration or pain has something to say too.

Confidingtripod

May 29, 2010
Swears enphasize points, being intellectual is elequantly insulting someone horribly without need for swearing e.g's:your as sharp as wet leather or your eye's are as good as a badger with cateracts.

no cursing but effective insults.

LC Wynter

Jun 13, 2010
Because swear swords are the only words making up their vocabulary besides, "hello", "goodbye" and "boobs".

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Swearing can be used to make the opposition feel stupid or to assert your authority over the argument. It can also be used for light humour or defence when the argument is not going your way respectively. People think swearing just encompasses the typical angry 'RAAAR FUCK YOU FUCKER RAAAR' attitude. This is not the case. Swearing can be very useful to emphasise a point. Say you say something ridiculous, like "pigs could one day grow wings and fly", i would say something like "You're trying to tell me they could evolve wings? What the fuck?" and the bit at the end would serve to emphasise the ludicrousness of what you were saying. If you want a bit of light-hearted use of swearing, you could say 'Holy shit!' or something similar in a surprised tone without having to sound angry or demean the other party. I tend to say 'bloody hell' for many things; surprise, fear, anger, joking around with mates... you get the idea. Personally i don't know why people seem to gush at swearing. It's become synonymous with everyday conversation in most cases anyway except when you need to be formal as a part of our desensitised society.

swolf

May 3, 2010
Y'know that their pretty stupid in the first place if the only thing that they can think of to sound smarter is by cussing. That's like crawling out of the mud to roll in the dirt, you may be a step above where you were but you're still on the ground.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Because when people use big words and, small difficult words, their peers make fun of them. So instead of talking about how draconian their teachers are for assigning homework for spring break, students will say;

"That's fucked up"

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
to quote Steven fry
"Swearing is a really important part of one's life and it would be impossible to imagine going through life without swearing and without enoying swearing

there used to be mad, silly, prissy people who would say swearing is a sign of a poor vocabulary as such; utter nonsense! The people I know who swear the most tend to have the widest vocabularies!"
all hail the fry

Mrhenners12

May 1, 2010
joe102 said:
Swears enphasize points, being intellectual is elequantly insulting someone horribly without need for swearing e.g's:your as sharp as wet leather or your eye's are as good as a badger with cateracts.

no cursing but effective insults.

that is called wit. Its a rear thing these days

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
it's all a part of the language, just don't go overkill on the matter because you'll end up a retard and possibly identified with one of the stereotypes

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
The only argument I've ever heard is that swearing is the sign of a lower intellect or smaller vocabulary.
In the words of Stephen Fry: "Utter nonsense! The people I know who swear the most tend to have the widest vocabularies!"
In the words of Tim Minchin, in The Pope Song, about the speech in which the pope protected the priests that molested church boys: "if you don't like this swearing that this ************ forced from me, and reckon it's just moral or intellectual paucity, then fuck you, ************, this is language one employs when one is fucking cross about fuckers fucking boys."
In the words of me: "It's fucking ridiculous. Swearing is fantastic; just a little slip of a word can cause such shock to the prissy, stuck up and backwards morons that are still so pathetic that they're offended by mere words, and it can make you feel so much fucking better when you're angry or just need to vent."