Why do "realistic" games all feel the need to include the Desert Eagle as a weapon?

May 5, 2010
Yeah, you lost me when you called Modern Warfare 2 and
Brawndo said:
I have fired one - it is very heavy for a handgun, has considerable recoil, a small magazine, and is very uncomfortable and bulky. The Desert Eagle was never designed to be used as combat pistol, it was more of an engineering challenge to see if a pistol could be designed that would actually fire a .50 cal round without breaking. Not a single police or military force issues it that I am aware of, and it is mostly used IRL for shooting competitions or hunting big game.

And yet here is a short list of recent games that include it:

Modern Warfare 1 and 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Counterstrike Source
Far Cry 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
Metal Gear Solid 4

Yes, I mad. I would much rather see other more common handguns, or a nice revolver
Wait.....You call those games realistic?
Modern Warfare series: Snowmobile jumps, government conspiracies to start WW3, huge waterfall drops.
Left 4 Dead 2: Uh....I think there's some zombies involved.
GTA IV: Well, technically you could play this in a realistic way, but nobody does, so....yeah.
Can't really speak for the others, but as far as these go, I don't think the Desert Eagle is their biggest lapse from realism. Stop complaining. Shooting a gun also doesn't involve a tiny crosshair showing exactly where you're bullets are going to go. That's why it's a game.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
I am sorry, but really? THIS is what is angering you!? Jeez it is just a gun that people want in their games. Honestly, I could care less about what guns are in my games.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
Brawndo said:
I have fired one - it is very heavy for a handgun, has considerable recoil, a small magazine, and is very uncomfortable and bulky. The Desert Eagle was never designed to be used as combat pistol, it was more of an engineering challenge to see if a pistol could be designed that would actually fire a .50 cal round without breaking. Not a single police or military force issues it that I am aware of, and it is mostly used IRL for shooting competitions or hunting big game.

Modern Warfare 1 and 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Counterstrike Source
Far Cry 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
Metal Gear Solid 4

Yes, I mad. I would much rather see other more common handguns, or a nice revolver
L4D - Zombies, 'nuff said
MW1+2 - OK, they don't make sense here, I admit that. Unless it was in the last map.
Grand Theft Auto - They wanna feel gangsta' baby!
CS: Source - Um...nope, not sense here unless it's the last ditch effort.
FC2 - Actually, this makes sense, many Warlords only carry the biggest-smallest gun possible.
SC: C - OK, this doesn't make much sense...
MGS4 - High possibility of weird gun fetish aaaannnnnd...maybe improved ones? This is a Japanese game afterall.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
I'm confused.

Based on what you're telling me, the desert eagle is impractical and unwieldy because it fires bullets that are too fucking big.

Why wouldn't I want to use one in simulated combat?

Annulus

Feb 17, 2010
spartan231490 said:
because these games ignore real life. In MW2 the scar and the fal shoot the same bullets (7.62X51 NATO), but kill with different number of hits. and every other assault rifle in that game shoots the 5.56X45 Nato round (much weaker). despite this the scar, famas, and m16 all kill with 3 shots, even though the famas and the m16 should have significantly lower power and range.
The calibre isn't everything. The length of the barrel affects the muzzle velocity.

What the bullet is made of affects killing power and armour penetration and muzzle velocity.

If you want to *****, how about complaining that FMJ is an attachment, when the Hague convention prohibited unjacketed ammunition in combat?

Brawndo said:

Modern Warfare 1 and 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Counterstrike Source
Far Cry 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
Metal Gear Solid 4

The desert eagle can be made in a variety of calibres.

It is not a combat pistol, though, you are right.

jojoemon

May 20, 2008
Furburt said:
Corum1134 said:
I own a Desert Eagle and I have a slightly above average penis thank you.

The Eagle expensive, heavy, and kicks like a mule. It is however accurate when used by someone who can use it. It is not an ideal weapon for combat but it is a great hunting handgun.
I have been proven wrong. Well, not really, but to really prove me wrong, you'd have to send me pictures, and I'd prefer to be as far away from pictures of other mens genitalia as possible.

I'm wondering though, how is it good for hunting? I mean, it's so heavy and clunky, readying it quickly is next to impossible, and I can't think of a single feature it has that couldn't already be matched by a large caliber revolver.

spartan231490 said:
Explain to me why people hunt with handguns, i never got it? you get reduced knock down, reduced accuracy, and reduced range. If you want a challenge, why not go with muzzle loader, shotgun, or even archery. I just don't get it.
Backup weapon. You need something you can draw quickly if your gun gets knocked out of your hand and you're facing an angry moose.
I guess you're kidding about the moose thing right? 'Cause you have to win a lottery just to get a hunting permit for them. I can't imagine anyone dedicated enough, and lucky enough, to win one being that much of a failure.
And, as for not understanding why people use the desert eagle for hunting, I suspect that it's really just a preference thing. I honestly have never met, or even heard of,a hunter who uses one. I guess it's possible; whatever floats their respective boats.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Brawndo said:

Modern Warfare 1 and 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Counterstrike Source
Far Cry 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
Metal Gear Solid 4

Well, I believe Desert Eagles come in a several differant caliburs. Also a lot of it comes down to the abillity of the shooter and how strong they are. Being able to handle a Desert Eagle like a Beretta says something about the character shooting it, it can be done, it's just very, very few people can do it.

What's more despite pretensions of realism, video games use a damage system where you have hit points or life bars, and progressively more powerful weapons do more damage to those pools of points or bars of life. Obtaining the more powerful weapons is a big part of the game. When your using real weapons and moving up the totem pole you need something to be the "best" pistol of the bunch, and simply put the Desert Eagle is the heaviest hand gun there is barring a few really obscure firearms, I remember reading something about how the germans actually produced a gyrojet pistol which was absolutly disgusting, but it never went into mass production along with a lot of the other (real) super weapons they were on the verge of producing.

See in a truely realistic game, being shot typically means you die. Oh sure there are plenty of ways people could take multiple rounds and keep living, and it has happened, but it's not all that common. To your typical human being the exact calibur of the bullet that went through their forehead or exploded through their chest and came out the other side doesn't really matter in the remaining miliseconds before they die.... guns are incredibly lethal. However games use a "damage scale" so what is overkill in a real life firefight makes more sense in game terms (and then there are of course games that while "Realistic" have you fighting monsters and aliens and such, so of course that explains their damage resistance).

I've found that the games where damage is handled more realistically rather than just someone using "realism" as a buzzword tend to actually be less popular. Games like say ARMA or STALKER (which from what I've seen has less actual players than people who claim to play it) where one good shot means anyone can die, including the player's character.

Egobrain

Dec 22, 2009
Corum1134 said:
Furburt said:
Because it is "hardcore" and "gangsta" and the main audience for those games that are realistic but aren't really is people who would like to consider themselves "hardcore" and "gangsta".

Sad but true.

But the good thing is, those games aren't realistic at all! If you want a real realistic shooting game, play ArmA II. No Desert Eagles there, combat distances are actually proportionate to real life and it's so realistic the US army uses a modded version of the original ArmA as a training sim.

I myself have fired a Desert Eagle!

Useless piece of shit. The weight is insane, the recoil is insane, the price and the price of bullets is insane, and it's just totally deficient as an actual weapon. There's a reason why all police forces and armies rejected it, it's a terrible gun. The only real reason anyone would buy it is because they have a small penis.
I own a Desert Eagle and I have a slightly above average penis thank you.

The Eagle expensive, heavy, and kicks like a mule. It is however accurate when used by someone who can use it. It is not an ideal weapon for combat but it is a great hunting handgun.
I laugh everytime I see someone defend themselves from an untargeted insult.
Someone has self confidence issues...
lmao

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
psivamp said:
spartan231490 said:
Explain to me why people hunt with handguns, i never got it? you get reduced knock down, reduced accuracy, and reduced range. If you want a challenge, why not go with muzzle loader, shotgun, or even archery. I just don't get it.
Ever been charged by a moose? A .357 Magnum is a good thing to have.

OT: The Eagle is mainly an engineering challenge, and it's based on rifle designs. But it's in video games because it is the classic over-the-top, over-compensation handgun. From what I've heard -- from people who've fired them, not just on forums -- they kick like a mule and one guy just stopped using it because it played hell with his wrist.
Yeah, cuz a .357 will work so much better than a remington .300 ultramag.

MikhailGH

Jun 11, 2010
Rule of Cool
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool

You tell me it isn't cool to image mowing down hordes of zombies in Killing Floor with one in each hand :D Yes it is unrealistic, but those "realistic" games shoot themselves in the foot on much simpler things than the desert eagle :S

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
I don't know. They are jam machines and hold only a couple more rounds than a revolver (which are damned hard to jam). They are heavy and inaccurate, they are awkward to carry around and they don't even look as cool as one of these:

Negdaen

Apr 30, 2009
It's because of the quotes around realistic. Listen, people who play those games like seeing things explode at the squeeze of a trigger. It's kind of like of a power rush. Sure, they could make BFGs. But they want to stay realistic. And their are other powerful handguns. But none with the reputation the Desert Eagle has. Any boy by the age of 14 has heard of it and the Magnum. Can't be said about the .357 revolver. And the developer wants the gun to be known so people understand what they have. I am a gun amateur. Most of my experience with them came from FPS, didn't know what an M4 carbine was when I got it. But I knew what a Desert Eagle was when I unlocked that.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Brawndo said:

Modern Warfare 1 and 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Counterstrike Source
Far Cry 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
Metal Gear Solid 4

None of those games are realistic, or claim to be realistic.

And i didn't know there was a desert eagle in GTAIV.. i thought it was just a type of .45

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Because any game that sells itself as "realistic" is a liar preying on the ignorance of the gullible public. If games were "realistic," they wouldn't be fun, and if we had no Deagle, there would be no recognizable, acceptably shiny, and powerful weapon to top the handgun weapon tier.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
SnowdensOfYesteryear said:
Amnestic said:
Because the developers know that the players will all jizz themselves of a 'Deagle'.

Personally I'll stick with revolvers. Way~ more classy.
Again, another kindof unrealistic thing - revolvers aren't that great in real life... though I agree. Really classy, and awesome. And stuff like that.
Why aren't revolvers great in real life?
you have 6 rounds, i have 9-12, we both miss every shot and reload. my reload takes a second or two, yours takes a second or two per bullet. I win that shootout. or if you have a full loader, or quick loader, its still going to take about twice the time to reload.