Why do "realistic" games all feel the need to include the Desert Eagle as a weapon?

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
I have fired one - it is very heavy for a handgun, has considerable recoil, a small magazine, and is very uncomfortable and bulky. The Desert Eagle was never designed to be used as combat pistol, it was more of an engineering challenge to see if a pistol could be designed that would actually fire a .50 cal round without breaking. Not a single police or military force issues it that I am aware of, and it is mostly used IRL for shooting competitions or hunting big game.

And yet here is a short list of recent games that include it:

Modern Warfare 1 and 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Counterstrike Source
Far Cry 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
Metal Gear Solid 4

Yes, I mad. I would much rather see other more common handguns, or a nice revolver

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Because the developers know that the players will all jizz themselves of a 'Deagle'.

Personally I'll stick with revolvers. Way~ more classy.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
Aylaine said:
Mmm, because it's cool is my best guess. It's used in a lot of video games as that ''bigger, stronger pistol'' or ''magnum''. :p
There are so many other alternatives for a powerful handgun: .357 revolvers, .44 revolvers, Colt .45s, etc, all of which are more common IRL than Desert Eagles

Mar 18, 2010
Amnestic said:
Because the developers know that the players will all jizz themselves of a 'Deagle'.

Again, another kindof unrealistic thing - revolvers aren't that great in real life... though I agree. Really classy, and awesome. And stuff like that.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
I perfer the Gta 4 Pistol, it sweet easy and reliable.

Designers think teens would love them, I guess.

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
Amnestic said:

Yea, the Raging Bull in Rainbow 6: Vegas was way cooler than the DE.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
SnowdensOfYesteryear said:
Amnestic said:

Again, another kindof unrealistic thing - revolvers aren't that great in real life... though I agree. Really classy, and awesome. And stuff like that.
Why aren't revolvers great in real life?
I'm answering my own question to stop getting replies. Revolvers are simpler, easier to maintain, and easier to conceal. This makes them good for self defense weapons.

Bosola

Mar 6, 2010
It's instantly recognizable as the classic 'slow but potent' arm option. Armories need to appear realistic (and so resemble real-world weapons the player is familiar with) but play with the practicalities of weapons (weight, recoil etc.) to make armory choices more intuitive, and so the game more fun.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Amnestic said:

In the latest Call of Duty I played an entire prestige using only the revolver.
It consisted of me singing "Wanted" by Bon Jovi and yelling "I'm Clint Eastwood, fellar!" over and over.
It was my best prestige yet.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
AdmiralWolverineLightningbolt said:
modern warfare, left4dead, gta, counterstrike, farcry, conviction, mgs4...? since when are they realistic?
Exactly what I was thinking. They're not even meant to be exactly realistic.

Most gamers (including myself) don't give a flying fuck about how good it is in real life, we care about how badass it is. Hence why revolvers are awesome.

Aylaine said:
Brawndo said:
Aylaine said:
Mmm, because it's cool is my best guess. It's used in a lot of video games as that ''bigger, stronger pistol'' or ''magnum''. :p
There are so many other alternatives for a powerful handgun: .357 revolvers, .44 revolvers, Colt .45s, etc, all of which are more common IRL than Desert Eagles
But are any of those cooler?
.44 Magnum, punk.

CZS PublicEnemy

Aug 29, 2009
Brawndo said:
I have fired one - it is very heavy for a handgun, has considerable recoil, a small magazine, and is very uncomfortable and bulky. The Desert Eagle was never designed to be used as combat pistol, it was more of an engineering challenge to see if a pistol could be designed that would actually fire a .50 cal round without breaking. Not a single police or military force issues it that I am aware of, and it is mostly used IRL for shooting competitions or hunting big game.

And yet here is a short list of recent games that include it:

Modern Warfare 1 and 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Counterstrike Source
Far Cry 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
Metal Gear Solid 4

Yes, I mad. I would much rather see other more common handguns, or a nice revolver
You consider those to be filed under "realistic games" huh?

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Bosola said:
It's instantly recognizable as the classic 'slow but potent' arm option. Armories need to appear realistic (and so resemble real-world weapons the player is familiar with) but play with the practicalities of weapons (weight, recoil etc.) to make armory choices more intuitive, and so the game more fun.
Exactly, it is famous. If the desert eagle wasn't in these games there would be never ending rages over how it wasn't in those games.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
My guess is because its one of the most popular pistols and people like it.

And why not? Its a fun gun to use in games.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
SnowdensOfYesteryear said:
Amnestic said:

Who says? Revolvers may have a small capacity and take longer to reload - but they are extremely reliable and easy to maintain. Revolvers simply do not jam - if you have a dud round you just pull the trigger again. You can also throw them in water and sand and they will likely work just fine.

Police keep revolvers around for another reason - for use with the firing ports in ballistic shields. Semiautomatics will get the slide caught in the port, whereas revolvers have no problems

Kwaren

Jul 10, 2009
I own one and I would never use it in combat. The recoil is huge and it occasionally jams not to mention it can only hold 7 rounds.