Why do some nerds hate Big Bang Theory?

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
I personally love the show Big Bang Theory, but some nerds I have spoken to, when I mention the show, show utter contempt for it. Why is it? I think it's a very funny show that depicts nerds in a fairly positive light, despite all the jokes. Is it because it's a popular show that give sit a sour taste?

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
because their audience laughs at every sentence and half the jokes are just technobabble the average person wouldn't understand.

also stereotyyyypes

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Different strokes for different folks. Being nerdy does not make you a fan of BBT, just like being a frat-boy does not make you a fan of Jersey Shore. Or being British make you a fan of Doctor Who, etc etc.

EDIT: 26th of March 2012-BECAUSE IT'S SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

EDIT 2: Another update at 12th of April 2013. STILL SHIT.

Arkham

Esoteric Cultist
Jan 22, 2009
I think that it's unfunny. How it portrays 'nerds' or 'geeks' has no impact on my opinion. I'm also not terribly fond of laugh tracks.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Because this.

You could potentially do this with any sit com, but it's rather more noticeable with this show.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
ArkhamHorror said:
I think that it's unfunny. How it portrays 'nerds' or 'geeks' has no impact on my opinion. I'm also not terribly fond of laugh tracks.
That I understand, but I'm just talking about simply not liking it. I'm talking about specifically nerds who have a loathing hatred for it, as though it is one of the worst things to blight television.

Just as an aside, maybe it's because I've seen so many sitcoms but I almost don't even notice laugh tracks now, even though when I really think about them the whole concept is rather strange.

Tdc2182 said:
Because this.

You could potentially do this with any sit com, but it's rather more noticeable with this show.
Honestly I think doing this with a sitcom is a flawed argument because they are written to flow with a laugh track, so of course removing a laugh track will make it less funny. Even Titus wouldn't be as funny without the laugh track. If you like that show, that is :X

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
It seems like something written about nerds, rather than by nerds. And it's a little bit patronising.
And I just don't think the show's that funny.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Well i'm a sci-fi fan but i hate starwars and never bothered to watch startrek, so what?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Because it is in the same time slot as Community, which is the much better show.

Yeah, I even make TV watching competitive. God help me.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
I like the show and its humour but I agree with the laughing issue. That's the one element of sitcoms that drive me crazy: When a show goes overboard with the laugh track. Still, Big Bang doesn't abuse it as much as Two and a Half Men.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
HerbertTheHamster said:
because their audience laughs at every sentence and half the jokes are just technobabble the average person wouldn't understand.

also stereotyyyypes
The stereotypes are the primary joke. Also the technobabble works in two ways. One, it's genuinely funny to those who get it and two, the fact that it's babble is funny to those who don't

OT: It's my favourite sit-com of all time, I own all of it on DVD and have watched it sooo many times. However, I've got mates who are nerds and they don't find it funny because they just don't like the characters which, I guess, is fair enough

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
I found the show demeaning. Im a nerd and i know lots of nerds who are not as weird and socially awkward as they are

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Because it isn't funny? No problem, in my mind, with a sitcom about nerds, but it has to actually make me laugh for me to like it.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Buccura said:
That I understand, but I'm just talking about simply not liking it. I'm talking about specifically nerds who have a loathing hatred for it, as though it is one of the worst things to blight television.
I think everyone hates stereotypes of themselves, the characters of BBT feel like they go beyond that at points, to the point of caricature. It's not 'hey, this is life like really smart aloof people live it' it's more along the line of 'this is how an amplification of most people stereotype scientists and geniuses and it's all condensed down into a few people'. It's more insulting than funny, there's a very small number of people who could sit down and say 'hey, that's just like my life' and laugh for that reason. But with BBT it's 'here are smart people, laugh at how different they live their life from us!'

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Caramel Frappe said:
Buccura said:
I personally love the show Big Bang Theory, but some nerds I have spoken to, when I mention the show, show utter contempt for it. Why is it? I think it's a very funny show that depicts nerds in a fairly positive light, despite all the jokes. Is it because it's a popular show that give sit a sour taste?
Nerds? I think that most people believe in it, spite not being into science themselves. I don't really believe in it, because I am Christian.. yet I wouldn't hate it nor rage against people who do. It's their beliefs and I respect that overall.

In fact, it makes me ponder about the World.. leading to new questions thus making me appreciate life and free will you know? But yeah, because some people are very closed minded and anything you say that they disagree with- they'll go crazy over the issue. Not really cool to do, but they can't handle how others feel toward a subject.
umm i think you may have gotten confused. They are talking about a sitcom named the big bang theory. it actually has nothing to do with the ACTUAL big bang theory.

i think the titles more an allusion to penny being a big bang.

dracomanm

Nov 21, 2009
It's too much nerd culture as joke fodder, and the autistic equivalent of a dyslectic character constantly misspelling his dialogue

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Caramel Frappe said:
Buccura said:
Nerds? I think that most people believe in it, spite not being into science themselves. I don't really believe in it, because I am Christian.. yet I wouldn't hate it nor rage against people who do. It's their beliefs and I respect that overall.

In fact, it makes me ponder about the World.. leading to new questions thus making me appreciate life and free will you know? But yeah, because some people are very closed minded and anything you say that they disagree with- they'll go crazy over the issue. Not really cool to do, but they can't handle how others feel toward a subject.
*cough* Uh Caramel, he's uh he's talking about the TV show, not the scientific theory.

OT: I've personally never watched it, I don't find too many sitcoms actually funny nowadays. Most of them just seem kinds forced in their humor or the characters' lack of common sense far too ridiculous. Oddly I find that some drama shows have better humor than today's sitcoms.

Arkham

Esoteric Cultist
Jan 22, 2009
Buccura said:
ArkhamHorror said:

Just as an aside, maybe it's because I've seen so many sitcoms but I almost don't even notice laugh tracks now, even though when I really think about them the whole concept is rather strange.
I mean to say that it's likely less popular because it's contrived. It seems to attempt to appeal to its target audience by dropping names and throwing subtlety out the window. The problem with a laugh track is that it demands the audience laugh on command, usually at every punchline. It gives it an unnatural, awkward feeling.

Hopefully that is a better answer than my original response. I haven't spent enough time with the show to truly start picking it apart.