Why do some nerds hate Big Bang Theory?

HotKakes

Aug 2, 2008
Personally, I have no interest in the show even though the material of it relates to my hobbies and interests. My family, however, are infatuated with it and often make some comparisons of me with Sheldon. Mind you, I have no contempt for the serial, I just don't like sitcom's and I spend most of my time reading and gaming.

The main reason why I could answer for the contempt is possibly that some people find the characterization of the geek characters as overblown and/or demeaning to those who are considered the geeks themselves. Not all "nerds" are created equal and there are very normal individuals who also have interests in the geek culture. So, it's probably an image issue that people don't want to see influenced. Also, they may just hate it because they have nothing better to do.

Synyster

Madman with a laptop
Jul 20, 2011
SgtFoley said:
Buccura said:
I personally love the show Big Bang Theory, but some nerds I have spoken to, when I mention the show, show utter contempt for it. Why is it? I think it's a very funny show that depicts nerds in a fairly positive light, despite all the jokes. Is it because it's a popular show that give sit a sour taste?
I think people in general hate the show because it is crap and not very funny.

Synyster said:
BlastedTheWorm said:
It's not fucking funny, that's why.
that's cause you don't get the jokes......
Insulting somebodys intelligence because they have a difference sense of humor then you, how very mature.
Sorry it wasn't my intention to call anyone's intelligence into question, all I meant was that some people simply don't get jokes because they have a different sense of humour

mrwoo6

Feb 24, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
Synyster said:
This is true, however from what I've seen they play very similar games, but I'm not sure they can play specific games like MTG or warhammer cause of copyrights and stuff, almost all the stuff in the show isn't actually what they appear, for example the have diet coke in cans that look just like it except it's called "Diet Cola"
I don't really mind the lack of specific brands because TV regulations are funny like that but I'd expect them to do more genuinely nerdy things. The point that other poster raised earlier is a good example, Sheldon is supposed to be a Linux aficionado but he doesn't come across as knowing that much about it. I know why they have to do it because of the target audience but all the things they make look nerdy aren't really all that nerdy, .
This, basically, they don't act like real nerds. They just drop a few nerdy references in and that's played as a joke.

Nerds being the central characters In a sitcom can be funny, the IT crowd did it really well.

Synyster

Madman with a laptop
Jul 20, 2011
mrwoo6 said:
Generic Gamer said:
Synyster said:
This is true, however from what I've seen they play very similar games, but I'm not sure they can play specific games like MTG or warhammer cause of copyrights and stuff, almost all the stuff in the show isn't actually what they appear, for example the have diet coke in cans that look just like it except it's called "Diet Cola"
I don't really mind the lack of specific brands because TV regulations are funny like that but I'd expect them to do more genuinely nerdy things. The point that other poster raised earlier is a good example, Sheldon is supposed to be a Linux aficionado but he doesn't come across as knowing that much about it. I know why they have to do it because of the target audience but all the things they make look nerdy aren't really all that nerdy, .
This, basically, they don't act like real nerds. They just drop a few nerdy references in and that's played as a joke.

Nerds being the central characters In a sitcom can be funny, the IT crowd did it really well.
Yeh I agree

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
BlastedTheWorm said:
It's not fucking funny, that's why.
word.

And as far as 'nerdy' funny shows go, the IT Crowd and Community are far far better. Like, they're actually funny.

Deathfyre

Mar 6, 2010
Tdc2182 said:
Because this.

You could potentially do this with any sit com, but it's rather more noticeable with this show.
I still found it funny... though you should link the "faster paced" version instead, cause the silences do have an effect. But the jokes still work when you edit out the silence and just have line after line and no laughter

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Because like the very worst of american humour it ridicules those it represents through the use of tired cliches- its like them pointing at a subculture and saying "OMFG dey r'nt liek uz! dey mst b badz!".
Its tiring, insulting and stupid- the shows only redeeming quality is Kaley Cuoco, and only then when she isnt screeching like a harpy.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
HerbertTheHamster said:
because their audience laughs at every sentence and half the jokes are just technobabble the average person wouldn't understand.

also stereotyyyypes
This. I don't hate the show, and i think it has a few good things going for it; but i will never love it. There are too many things about that show that just rub me the wrong way.

Plus, i hate the fact that lots of people have compared me to Sheldon; in fact, i'm much more like Leonard, which is a shame, because he's a whiny, mopey little *****.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
It's a sitcom so it's an automatic hate for me. The audience laughs make me furious when watching a series.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
That's inconceivable, OP. Next you'll be telling me you found a black person that doesn't think Tyler Perry's latest man-in-a-fatsuit-pretending-to-be-a-woman movie was comedic genius. Blugh, thoughts like that keep me up at night.

Dyme said:
Liked Scrubs and Modern Family though. Are there more series like those? (I know they are completely different, but you know, funny series without laughter?)
Off the top of my head, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Arrested Development. All I got for now, but I promise you won't regret looking up either one.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
BrailleOperatic said:
It seems like something written about nerds, rather than by nerds. And it's a little bit patronising.
And I just don't think the show's that funny.
We have a winner! All my non-nerd friends love it and like to brag about how they 'get' a nerdy show. I've watched three episodes with three different friends, each insisting they were showing me the best episode of the show, and I didn't laugh once. Not so much as a chuckle or bemused guffaw. I was just really bored.

Also:
Buccura said:
Honestly I think doing this with a sitcom is a flawed argument because they are written to flow with a laugh track, so of course removing a laugh track will make it less funny. Even Titus wouldn't be as funny without the laugh track. If you like that show, that is :X
Watch The Mighty Boosh or That Mitchell and Webb Look or just about any good British comedy. No laugh track, because it doesn't need one, because it's genuinely funny. Laugh tracks annoy me immensely, because they seem to dictate to me how funny I should find a joke. Fuck that.

royohz

Official punching bag!
Jul 23, 2009
Buccura said:
-snip-

Honestly I think doing this with a sitcom is a flawed argument because they are written to flow with a laugh track, so of course removing a laugh track will make it less funny. Even Titus wouldn't be as funny without the laugh track. If you like that show, that is :X
I used to like the show a lot, the science talk wasn't a problem after a while because I'd stumble upon an explanation at some point, and the geeky stuff is alright, but it doesn't hit every mole. Nonetheless, my brother made me aware that it just wasn't funny. All the laugh tracks are horribly misplaced after sentences that aren't funny. At all. It seems as if the only reason the public thinks most of it is funny is exactly because it's so "geeky and abnormal and wrong and therefore funny".

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
Personally I enjoy the show, Sheldon is amazing, though I agree that the laughing track is ridiculously over used, I just ignore it and laugh when it's actually funny.

Sordak

Oct 5, 2010
honestly, when i watch Big Bang Theory (while it is funny) i just dont get why they are suposed to be extra smart nerds. I mean come on, i learned 70% of what they say in school.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Canned Laughter is the bane of comedy.

It is just difficult to put into words how much I hate people telling me what is funny.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Dyme said:
The laugh is horrible.
I feel like the show thinks I am too stupid to understand jokes.

Liked Scrubs and Modern Family though. Are there more series like those? (I know they are completely different, but you know, funny series without laughter?)

Better Off Ted, Parks and Rec, and Arrested Development are all in the Netflix streaming library I think.