Why do we love the companion cube?

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
One of the Portal 2 articles got me thinking of a conversation i had with someone who hadn't played Portal before.

I described it to her and told her of the companion cube, and she asked me why people loved it so much and i honestly couldn't think of a decent enough reason for it. I mean it only features in one stage of the whole game, but you become so attached.

She later played Portal, and now loves the companion cube and has no idea why.

So escapists, why do we love the companion cube so damn much?

migo

Jun 27, 2010
I don't love it at all. I thought it was kind of funny, but that's it.

Maybe it's that some people are susceptible to suggestion.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I hate the fucking thing.

I kept reloading and dropping it in, for shits and giggles, once.

Atlys

is best pony
Mar 3, 2011
I think that it's because the game tells us we love it. Plus it has a little heart on it so it has to love you back.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Because it helps you all the way through the level, helping you get to hard to reach places and protecting you from the energy bolt, and in the end you heartlessly betray it, which makes you feel guilty about it.
At least that's how I see it.
Interestingly enough, I replayed Portal just yesterday, after having not played it for over a year. Coincidence?

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
It is programmed to emit a subliminal siren call to all who gaze upon it has pink hearts on it.

Slavik_91

May 2, 2009
I played Portal about 2 times and I always though the whole "I <3 the companion cube" thing a little...retarded.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's for the same reason we all love Candlejack, it's a running gag we all just like contin

theonlyblaze2

Aug 20, 2010
It's because it is the only character in the game that isn't out to harm you. Like Glados said, it will do you no harm.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
I don't think most people really do, it's just a running joke. The first time I heard it I had to really sit down and think about what we really did with it that made it so funny...

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
Glados is a machine and sounds like a unusual cruel/softly spoken thing...she's a bit fidgety though.

But the companion cube? it's charm is in it's silence and the personification that Glados placed on it, plus it helping solve puzzles made us feel more attached to it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sion_Barzahd said:
One of the Portal 2 articles got me thinking of a conversation i had with someone who hadn't played Portal before.

I described it to her and told her of the companion cube, and she asked me why people loved it so much and i honestly couldn't think of a decent enough reason for it. I mean it only features in one stage of the whole game, but you become so attached.

She later played Portal, and now loves the companion cube and has no idea why.

So escapists, why do we love the companion cube so damn much?
It has no personality except what we are told it has and what we ourselves project upon it.

In short, it's Keanu Reeves or the entire Twilight series.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
lacktheknack said:
It's for the same reason we all love Candlejack, it's a running gag we all just like contin
This. In the thread about Portla 2 showing the companion cube, where people expressed how they never "got it", I had a small rant just explaining to people that it's a joke, it's not just Valve failing to make you have an emotional connection.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I didn't love it, what is there to love? It's a white cube with a heart on it, there's nothing special about it. I even remember back in 2007, X-Play (you know, back when it was still good) nominated the Companion Cube for their best new character award. To this day I still ask what the fuck when I think of the damn thing.