Why do you fear death?

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
Phlakes said:
Because if God and heaven don't exist, then after you die, there's nothing.

Someone people wonder what it's like after you die, and I figure it's a lot like it was before you were born.

Nothing.

And I'm not a big fan of that.
But ya see? That's the BEAUTY OF IT! you won't not be a fan of it. You won't be doing nothing for eternity. Your consciousness will end. Your story is over. The world will keep turning and you aren't a part of it. Before you were born you had no consciousness. After you die you won't either. Unless I'm wrong and our consciousness gets reused every so often. Then I guess we wouldn't know one way or another. Death is nothing to fear, its just that. Nothing.

...okay if you do it wrong there may be quite a bit of pain before it, but you get my point.

pauloalbatross

Nov 10, 2009
I had a teacher who once said in assembly "I do not fear death, only brain death". That he taught German and had a slight lisp made it even more ridiculous and hilarious.

Wraithspine

Aug 13, 2008
I don't fear death, It wouldn't bother me if I died today. But what I do fear is pain, I fear dying slowly and painfully.

Infernostrider

Feb 8, 2010
dying in and of itself isn't that scary...at least you somewhat know what to expect. that is what im afraid of most: what if there is no afterlife? if your consciousness just ceases to exist? even hell would be better then that...

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
I see death as a transition from this stage of existence into the next. I'm not afraid of it.

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
It's definitely the unknown for me, and the little we do know is a sort of propaganda for religions. Right now, I know that:
I love life and what it has to offer.
I have no idea what death will bring.
Religions are essentially a huge number of "join us or suffer for eternity" groups when it comes to the afterlife, and if one is true, all others are false on some level. I'm a good person, but worship is compulsory.

In short, life is great, and the only things I've heard about death don't make me look forward to it.

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
i dont fear my death as much as i fear the death of others

and it will suck to not know what happens in the future

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
I guess because I don't like the idea of eternal darkness.

And I think that I feel like I've already been through too much to go out like a punk (even though I'm only 17). I feel like if I've come this far that I should be able to go even further.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
I'm not. For me, it's all about perspective: we're all made of elements and compounds that came from the earth. When we die, we decompose, and we redistribute our chemicals back into the earth... so in a way, we're all just temporary extensions of the world. With that in mind, I'm totally okay with death.

Snowden's Secret

Apr 4, 2010

EDIT: I don't fear death as such, I just hope to achieve all that I desire to before it actually happens to me. And of course, when it happens I would like it to be reasonably painless, but not too quick, to allow for some final contemplation and such.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
I could die surrounded by family who loves me, or from being stabbed repeatedly and left for dead on the streets.

I don't fear death, I fear how I'll die.

Death is just another part of life.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
I enjoy life and other people's company and I don't like the idea of just not being there, Nothing is the scariest concept of all to me, so I'm pretty scared of being it.