Why do you fear death?

SleepsAnyWhere

Aug 26, 2010
Think more like someone or something else when thinking about death:
Did the dog fear death before an Asian ate it?
Does a fly fear death before you swat it?
Will a virus feel the fear of death when it's host dies,
Is the fear of death just a abstract idea or does this fear drive us closer to our deaths?

Living for ever....
that means living with myself for ever, then no thank you.
But at the same time I fear death above all other things, even the pain of my death.
Even still, this does not stop me from doing things that kill or could potentially kill me.
I AM SO CONFUSED.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness Harry, nothing more. Lord Voldemort, who of course secretly fears both disagrees, but he is just once again revealing his own lack of wisdom."

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
The state of death does not frighten me. It just makes me sad: a unique life with hopes, wishes, dreams, visions and knowledge gone forever.

The actual dying frightens me a little. How will I die? Will it be painful?

What frightens me is the stuff going on in the heads of those close family members left alive, and the difficulties they might face.

Empathy can be such a ***** at times, even when it is indispensable for all societies.

Life_Is_A_Mess

Sep 10, 2009
thahat said:
i desire to live life immortal.
for what is a human but life?
and death is the abscence of life, making you nothing but a breath smudge on the book of history.
no thank you, id like to keep influenceing the world. so as soon as that russian anti aging pill gets on the market im STOCKPILING that shit XD
Basically this. Hopefully there won't be death, or at least an age retardant by the time I'm fourty. I'm such a dreamer...

black-magic

May 21, 2009
I have no religion, I know that i'll just rot in the ground when I die... So I fear and don't think about it.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Mostly just because it's the long arm of the great equalizer- time?

Ultimately the excessive, excessive minority can carve out their spot in human history. People like Alexander the Great made a name by conquering the known world. Nothing big to live up to, right? What if we expand it? What have we as humans done to carve our name into the universe? Basically nothing. Not only does simple probability stipulate that we're not alone in the universe (No, not getting into it) but it can really feel at times like we're going around in circles as a race.

But I digress. It's mostly the idea that things have to come to an end. It's not something we fully understand, and try though we may there's probably no full way to ever know what really happens, and what science suggests isn't terribly pretty. I for one don't like the idea that I'm going to rot in the ground, but that's the reality of it. I'll worry about it when I get there though.

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
Fridge said:
I don't. That doesn't mean that I want to die, I just don't fear it and accept it will happen eventually.
This pretty much sums my views up. I don't want my existence to end anytime soon, but that doesn't mean I'm going to worry about dying. If it happens, it happens. And I'll be dead, so what will I care?

Stuntcrab

Apr 2, 2010
I don't fear death because I figure its gonna happen either way, just have to make the most of your life before it comes.

Also don't assume everyone fears something.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Because once I'm dead, I'll cease to be aware. So I won't be all "Oh, why did I take for granted what I had when I was young?" (even though I won't say that at all, cos what I had when I was young was pure fecal matter)
Dead is dead. It's not boring, it's not painful, it's just dead. No big deal. I do feel sorry, however, for the crowds and CROWDS of people mourning my death, who's lives, with the absence of mine, are now purposeless.

That's gonna happen right? RIGHT?!

Dapper Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
2fish said:
L1250 said:
2fish said:
I do not fear my death; I have died once in the sense that my brain stopped all functions save the breathing/heart/ other basic functions for about three weeks. There was nothing that the doctors could do to bring me back. I got better over time but when I look back at that and the years of my life following that event it was as if I had died, but my body failed to get the memo.
That's really interesting. What caused it? And what was it like? Or do you not have any first-hand recollection of being "dead"?
To this day we are not sure what I had but the best guess is encephalitis, an inflamation of the brain. I have no memories from the illness and for years afterwards it is fuzzy. Age 8 through 16 have gaps or are fuzzy. Before the Age of 8 I have tiny bits of memories, but usually they randomly appear through some odd context.

After 16 there are still memory issues but just not as big and easier to figure out the missing details. Sorry I have no real memory of the even I have more of gut feelings and emotions. Since I got sick at age 8 it was early enough to make it hard to notice anything other than a huge difference in my behavior.

In the end I think it became a confidence booster as I gained a deal with it or get the fuck out of my way attitude. I have often wondered how I would be different today if I had not gotten sick, would I be able to turn my emotions off, and if so would I want to?

But on the bright side you get great stories, I had a seizure at a movie theater on my first day working there. I was the only one in the ticket box, there is only one key to the room and it is with the manager who is out to lunch. I had a seizure; I fall over hit the ground and have the convolutions. Everyone freaks out, the other new employee calls 911, managers go nuts trying to find the key and call the manager at lunch. I wake up in the corner surrounded by paramedics, 3 managers and roped off. While I am going through the routine with the paramedics I see that there is a fire truck and an ambulance outside (this is bad because all light after a seizure is like setting your eyes and brain on fire). Then this little old lady walks up to me and says, "Are you the ticket taker?" Everyone kinda stops for a second, the paramedics then keep going on with their job, but I look at my friend who is a manager. He quickly took her ticket and walked her to her film.

I never had to work tickets again.... odd huh? If you are epileptic the best stories are the ones you don?t remember ;) .
Damn, that sounds like something that could be really tough to live with. Still, you seem to be dealing with it very well, so good on you, man.

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
because there is never a clear definite answer to what happens afterwords and where we go, does anything happen or does it just stop there? thats why it scares me...

Joshroom

Oct 27, 2009
The idea of just ending. The feeling of not feeling. The fact that no one knows what death is like; it truly is the one unknown. Do we truly know that all feeling stops? Or could there be a single spark of conciousness left, forever stuck in an endless hell.

jacx

Feb 20, 2010
death and dying are not something to fear it happens naturaly...what we fear as humans is the unkown...and no one knows for certain what happens after we die...

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
I don't want an end to "me" and I don't want everything I have seen and lived in taken away from me. I want to see how society develops, I want to be a part of it. I want to live in this world and do things and meet lots of people. I don't want to become nothing, experience nothing and feel nothing for the rest of time. I just can't imagine anything worse than that.

And if heaven is there, i'm frightened of going to hell.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I don't fear death, I fear the manner in which my death will be brought about.

Pain - do not want.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Joshroom said:
The idea of just ending. The feeling of not feeling. The fact that no one knows what death is like; it truly is the one unknown. Do we truly know that all feeling stops? Or could there be a single spark of conciousness left, forever stuck in an endless hell.
That's understandable, and an interesting concept, but I still don't know why we should fear it. There is as much scientific evidence pointing towards the theory that we are conscious in death as there is that a race of man-eating robotic unicorns from outer space will arrive next week and begin torturing all humans constantly for the rest of eternity.
I don't mean to ridicule your point, just trying to say that if we are to fear something simply because "we can't prove it won't happen" then we won't get far in life. There's no proof we won't all spontaneously burst into flames. There's no proof a killer isn't waiting around the corner. But no point worrying about it, right? So why should death be different?

I either cured your fear or came off like an intrusive jackass xD