Why do you fear death?

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I like being a burden on society.

But in all seriousness im terrified of death, I freak out every time I think about it.

My biggest fear is what if there is nothing after life, that this is it, but another of the things that makes me fear so much is that when im gone I will be forgotten, nobody will remember me a hundred years after im gone, my life will mean nothing.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Xero Scythe said:
klaynexas3 said:
i love this girl, and she feels the same about me. she says if i die, she'll kill herself. i just gotta out live her. i fear to keep her alive. i couldn't give a damn about myself
Wow. That is one hell of a girl you got yourself. I swear, if you do anything to make her cry, I will find out, track you down, and make you suffer. Damn. I'm sorry, but I'm envious! Not everyone can get a woman like that!
yeah, she really is one hell of a girl. she means everything to me, and i'd do anything for her. i owe her everything

Joshroom

Oct 27, 2009
Thespian said:
Joshroom said:
The idea of just ending. The feeling of not feeling. The fact that no one knows what death is like; it truly is the one unknown. Do we truly know that all feeling stops? Or could there be a single spark of conciousness left, forever stuck in an endless hell.
That's understandable, and an interesting concept, but I still don't know why we should fear it. There is as much scientific evidence pointing towards the theory that we are conscious in death as there is that a race of man-eating robotic unicorns from outer space will arrive next week and begin torturing all humans constantly for the rest of eternity.
I don't mean to ridicule your point, just trying to say that if we are to fear something simply because "we can't prove it won't happen" then we won't get far in life. There's no proof we won't all spontaneously burst into flames. There's no proof a killer isn't waiting around the corner. But no point worrying about it, right? So why should death be different?

I either cured your fear or came off like an intrusive jackass xD
Ha, no, don't worry dude. Thats an interesting angle of your own. So you live in the belief that because of the very fact you are unaware of what is to happen then you should ignore it as an inevitability and not fear it. That is usually how I try and live but on occasions I find myself thinking too deeply about things. Hee, I really am the sort of person who sometimes worries about killers being around the corner. But that might just be because of all the Criminal Minds I watch.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Because I believe there is nothing after death.

When I was a Christian, I did not fear death.

That was a long time ago now though.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I don't. I have a meaningful life, though, so I am not trying to end my life.

And to anyone who wants to attack me for thinking my life is meaningful: Why are you still alive?

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
dathwampeer said:
If people say they don't. They're either lying to look cool or they are by definition a sociophath. Possibly a psychopath.
That is not true, although it can be true in certain cases.

I don't fear death and in fact look forward to it in many ways. I live my life trying to enjoy it as much as possible and help the people around me do the same, but at the same time I want to find out what happens after I die. To be honest I hope my existence ends at that point but whatever happens I want to find out. Along time ago I realized that time passes and before you know it years will have passed (I was a kid then) and so eventually I will die. Doing anything to speed up the process is pointless and will just hurt people needlessly.

It is true that if someone does not fear death they might not appreciate the fact (or care even if they do) that other people fear death themselves. I think it comes down to a basic trait of selfishness though. A selfish person will not think about how their actions affect others or will not care how their actions affect them as long as they get what they want. Someone who does not fear death and is very selfish could be dangerous to other people.

If you do actually care about other people and just don't fear death yourself there certainly is nothing wrong with that. It certainly led me to take many risks and experience many awesome adventures in my 20's.

I'm not partial to pain, so I would say I fear many methods of dying (although pain in of of itself isn't my biggest fear it's the results of pain (inability to sleep or relax, or being forced to exist in a torturous state for long periods of time are what really scare me). I would far rather die then be paralyzed for instance, or live in constant pain where nothing is enjoyable anymore.

I don't think anyone should fear death but it is natural to do so. I think it's partly instinct and partly the loss of self that people associate with it.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I don't.

-Anyone in my life got along well enough without me; they'll be okay long after I'm gone
-My life insurance will make sure my family's taken care of after I'm gone
-I'm fine with not experiencing all the world has to offer and not knowing the answers to my questions
-I haven't found a reason to live yet, so there's nothing in particular I'll be disappointed about

nicholaxxx

Jun 30, 2009
Because I don't want my loved ones to feel the way I felt when I lost close members of my family.

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
i only fear i won't die for something worthwhile. i know what lies beyond, and fear it i do not.

my only wish is to be remembered as a hero to the people.

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
Digi7 said:
It's unknown, it's unfathomable. It can take everything we love away and never gives it back. We write thousands of stories 'explaining' it, but we never really can. Death is a damn scary thing, I think we're all in agreement on that, but why do you fear it? Is it that you fear the unknown? Do you fear having everything taken from you? Do you fear for those you love, and how they will live without you?

And yes, I'm in a screwed up mood right now.
I don't fear it that much(I'm too good looking to die!), but I think the main reason I and probably most people fear it is because of the unknown.

Afterlife? Unknown
Level of pain? Unknown
Impact of the world/ others? Unknown
How stupid will it be? Unknown
How much you will lose because it? Unknown
When will it happen? Unknown
How it will happen? Unknown
Will any of the above questions
be clearly and definitely
answered during the last moments Unknown
of life?
Certainty of death? Definitely(100%)!

Or at least that's my opinion.
Anyway I personally feel more comfortable considering it's not going to be so bad and there is something after it(an other life? an other death? eternally reliving the past? eternal pain? eh, no one actually cares). But anyway that's just my opinion.

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
I do not fear death. Either I will rot in the ground (quite likely), go to heaven/hell (not very likely) or something else.
A painful death scares me and dying while not wearing a suit scares me most of all.