Why do you fear death?

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
If there's anything to fear, its imagining my feelings as I pass. My mind will stop functioning, which means (steeply) gradual loss of thought, or if my heart stops first, imagining that sinking feeling in your chest, but many factors longer/worse. I cant really be afraid of external pain; pain doesnt cause me death, but rather tells me that I'm still alive (And need to get away from whatever the fuck is hurting me).

Well, in any case, the feelings I would fear could be seen from intervals spanning a moment to an entire lifeline. And for that matter, there's never been anyone to 'come back' to tell us what's happens when we cant think anymore. Even more than the limits of the universe, death is the organism's most unexplored frontier.

jultub

Jan 18, 2010
Death isn't gonna happen to me anytime soon, I'm not saying I don't fear it. But I don't think I'll know that fear until it's closing in on me.

That said I'm gonna live forever and thus I will never have to know that fear.

DanTheMan92

Sep 27, 2010
Of course you should fear death, you want to live life don't you?

Then again it does depend on how old you are and more importantly if you have something to live for.

That was for all you "tough guys" who claim to not fear death when in fact, if you were put in a life threatening situation, you would shit yourself. Probably literally.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
If by "death" you mean the ending of my life (and not say, what might come next), then yes- I do dread that. I don't believe in a life after death, so this one's pretty important to me and I'd rather not have it end anytime soon. I'd rather not give up on one of my few (if not only) chances at existance and conciousness, thankyouverymuch.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Joshroom said:
Thespian said:
Joshroom said:
The idea of just ending. The feeling of not feeling. The fact that no one knows what death is like; it truly is the one unknown. Do we truly know that all feeling stops? Or could there be a single spark of conciousness left, forever stuck in an endless hell.
That's understandable, and an interesting concept, but I still don't know why we should fear it. There is as much scientific evidence pointing towards the theory that we are conscious in death as there is that a race of man-eating robotic unicorns from outer space will arrive next week and begin torturing all humans constantly for the rest of eternity.
I don't mean to ridicule your point, just trying to say that if we are to fear something simply because "we can't prove it won't happen" then we won't get far in life. There's no proof we won't all spontaneously burst into flames. There's no proof a killer isn't waiting around the corner. But no point worrying about it, right? So why should death be different?

I either cured your fear or came off like an intrusive jackass xD
Ha, no, don't worry dude. Thats an interesting angle of your own. So you live in the belief that because of the very fact you are unaware of what is to happen then you should ignore it as an inevitability and not fear it. That is usually how I try and live but on occasions I find myself thinking too deeply about things. Hee, I really am the sort of person who sometimes worries about killers being around the corner. But that might just be because of all the Criminal Minds I watch.
I know what you mean, though. Just whenever I think "Oh crap, what if there is a god and my years of atheism, hedonism and militant atheism come back to bite me?" and then I think "Yeah well, what if I live a perfect christian life and die and it turns out scientologists are right and Xenu's on my case." May as well just enjoy life, right? But that's a logical argument and logic can't do much to cure fear, which tends to be irrational xD

And at least if you are killed, we'll all get to see Hotch and the gang spit some cool lines and track down your killer. So win/win, right? =3

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
MirrorSweep said:
Wont be able to fap anymore.
ha, I pictured your avatar as your actual face whilst saying that, sneaky, very sneaky...

headphonegirl

The Troll under the bridge
Oct 19, 2009
Ironic Pirate said:
I also fear that in the moment of death, I will wish I had lived differently.
I totally agree,

But death itself doesn't scare me , I don't know if thats a good thing or not :S

Stone Wera

Feb 13, 2010
I'm not really afraid of death. I'd rather not, there's still a lot more life for me, but if it's my time I won't go out kicking and screaming.

Blank Kold

Aug 24, 2010
Neither life nor death matter; no one's life or death will effect the universe in such a way that causes a radical change.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Joshroom said:
The idea of just ending. The feeling of not feeling. The fact that no one knows what death is like; it truly is the one unknown. Do we truly know that all feeling stops? Or could there be a single spark of conciousness left, forever stuck in an endless hell.
This.

To me, Oblivion, just ceasing to exist at all, is far worse than ANY hell.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
The thing that bother me about death is that in the grand scale of things, my death won't really matter, it won't really affect anything significant. Sure my family and friends would be upset, but it won't change the world. Obama will still be president, America will still be in it's economic slump, Africa will still be riddled with AIDs, and so forth. To some people, I'll be a significant part of their life that got taken away, to others, I'll just be a statistic.

That's how I view death.

aLivingPheonix

Feb 26, 2010
Because... I don't know what happens. I don't know if I get burned for all eternity, I don't know if I'll wake up on a cloud with 72 virgins and lots of milk, and my biggest fear is that I'll cease to exist. I won't be able to ever feel anything again. No happiness, no pain, love, anger, frustration, nothing. Anything that makes me human will be lost. Anyone I cared about, I'll probably never see again.

But, I accept that I will die, and when I do, I'll try and make it the most bad-ass death ever.

kwfang

Feb 22, 2010
I fear it because im afraid of whats in store in the afterlife (if there is an afterlife) and I think of it as this way. When you die your hurting someone who loves. Why would you want that to happen?

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
i FEAR DYING.
As for the actual "being dead" bit, well, it sucks, but i don't really care about it. I mean, I won't when I'm dead, so why bother now?

Grand_Marquis

Feb 9, 2009
Axe Of Flame said:
I don't fear death. He, I, God, The Devil and Nergal all play poker on Wednesdays. He's a pretty cool guy once you get to know him.

Grand_Marquis said:
I fear death because I still owe it fifty bucks.
Oh, yeah. He's been bitching about you for the last month.
Ah crap, I better get on that, then. If I remember, the interest was to be paid in years off my life.

Blair Bennett

Jan 25, 2008
I don't fear death. I learned long ago that fear stems from the body and the brain working in conjunction to warn human beings of some imminent danger. Fight or flight was, after all, a means of self preservation. However, I'm becoming more specific in my beliefs as I age, and I feel I can finally classify myself as a nihilist. In my opinion, after death, there is nothing, and I don't mean you float endlessly through an empty room. There is literally no consciousness or awareness to speak of. This lack of awareness tends to go hand in hand with the concept of a lack of suffering, or anything really.

Therefore, regardless of what might happen, if subscribing to my particular set of beliefs, one is forced to realize that there really is no reason to fear death, provided that one is satisfied with their actions while living.

However, there is a fear of suffering or agony. Argophobia? Is that the one about fearing pain? Either way, it does exist, and in quite a number of people. So I guess my theory works, provided that one experiences a relatively painless means of dying. Myself? I don't know, I figure that I'd probably be able to accept anything if need be, I mean, I'd pretty much have to, and I don't really fear pain the way that others might. But consider this, though I can't even fathom what nonexistence must be like - and I doubt anyone can - as unnerving as the thought might be at first, after however many years of living, one is liable to become curious, correct?