Why do you hate Gamestop?

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
The only problem I ever really had with them is that one time, just last week in fact, when I wanted to buy a new game for 30 dollars they tried to make me by a used copy for only two dollars less. Since it's a game from Ubisoft I would have had to bought about half the game for another ten or so dollars anyway.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
I... uh... don't. I've never had a bad experience with the local gamestop. Employees are always friendly and used games are always in good condition. But like I always say, I'm probably just lucky.

BoredWalker

Aug 14, 2012
There are only two things that I don't like about them.

-Preorders are taken on a store-by-store basis (I can't pick up a preorder anywhere except in the store I placed it in), but they only hold a copy of the game you preordered for one or two days. I preordered the Skyrim CE, but wasn't around to pick it up on launch day, so they were sold out by the time I sent my father to get it for me. They then gave him a regular copy (even though they charged for the CE on the receipt), and I had to go sort things out myself. They ended up having to get another CE from another store, and nearly charged me twice. I gave you guys a fucking deposit, you need to hold up your end of the bargain and make sure that you have a copy when I come in to claim it.

-The selection is absolute shite. We have two Gamestops in my city, and the only things either seem to carry are popular stuff from the last two years, stuff from last week, or old garbage that reeks of shovelware. It wasn't like this until a short time ago; I used to have a 50/50 chance of finding what I was looking for, as long they actually carried games for that system.

Savo said:
-Games are overpriced. I can get better deals at Amazon, plus a better selection.
Depends on the game. The pricing seems to be based on product age and popularity, and while I agree that selling a used new release for just $5 less than a new copy is gouging, I've gotten some great deals at Gamestop with older titles. Just two examples: Metroid Fusion costs $110 on Amazon, but I bought it from Gamestop for five bucks, perfect condition, and with a 100% save file already on the cartridge. Amazon asks 40 bucks for Metroid Prime, and I got it used (again, perfect condition, manual and case included) from Gamestop for $4.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Maybe this is something that's only outside of the U.S., because the employees at my local gamestop are very friendly and helpful.
If they don't have what I'm looking for, I go to another store. In my community, we have about 5 game retailers all just a few blocks from each other.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Not really, I used to work there.

The only thing I hated about The GS I worked at, was that fucking television ad that plays all. fucking. day.

But other than that, I and my co-workers TRIED to be a nice bunch and subvert other peoples ideas bout Gamestop.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Fr said:
anc[is]This is relevant and funny

I don't go in there much anymore, so the only thing that bugs me besides the preorder harassment they have to go through is that the manager of my Gamestop looked at me like I just spit on his mothers grave when I bought Steam cash and absolutely nothing else.
I'd also like to add this video to it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS_s9gyjYcQ&feature=player_embedded

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
They are hated for no other reason than they are the big company and nothing else. Any excuse we can come up with is simply justification for the big hatred.

xXTheParadoxXx

May 25, 2010
I don't.
The gamestop in Derry was pretty good before it shut down.
I went in to GameStop 2 days before Skyrim was released to pay off the last of my preorder and the guy at the counter gave me my hat and the 2 books there and then since they would probably end up running out during the midnight launch. I'm kind of sad they're gone since the Game guys aren't nearly as good

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
malestrithe said:
They are hated for no other reason than they are the big company and nothing else. Any excuse we can come up with is simply justification for the big hatred.
That doesn't really make sense. People hate gamestop because of their policies and the actions of their employees, not simply because they are a big company.

Justification for "big hatred" of them isn't just "excuses" they are actual valid reasons, and they aren't used simply for justification of mindless hatred, they're legitimate complaints people have.

Sanshou

Jul 1, 2012
FelixG said:
Sanshou said:
FelixG said:
1- Pushing buying used, go fuck yourself, no I dont want you to go get me a used copy off the shelf, I want to support the people who makes the games you stupid fucktard
Fair enough if you dont want a used game, just politely tell them that, they're just trying to help. And there's no need to be a prick about it. Being British and middle class means that social etiquette is sort of the norm, but the rest of the world cant really be that misanthropic?
I am never a prick about it in the store. I was raised to be polite even if I loathe a person or what they are doing. I politely decline and tell them I would prefer new which is why I picked up a new copy of the game.

That does not mean I cant vent about it when I am not dealing with a person just doing their job, I used to work retail and I know what a pain it can be, which is another reason I strive to be the best customer I can be when I go into stores.
Thats fair enough, its just that your first post made it sound like you were the sort of person who had a special knife prepared for people who offer you games that have been previously played.

Thank you replying to my what I guess was abit of a flamebait post without the rude self righteousness what many people with an internet connection posses.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
I have nothing against Gamestop except for the way they handle used games. They don't test them and so i've bought quite a handful of unusable used games.

Also people complaining about pricing? that's just stupid. it's not Gamestop's choice really. it's the publishers, also the cost for making games is getting higher by the year with AAA games, they need to make that money back and then some, for it to be worth it at all. Also where can you find a lower priced brand new game? certainly not at Walmart and even at Amazon you won't get a brand new copy for less. (used maybe - but that's because anybody can sell anything there, like eBay)

The fact they have used games is the only reason i go to Gamestop. seriously, where else can you go to buy games that are over 6 months old? There are still PS2 games i haven't played that i buy at Gamestop for super cheap prices. (they always got a huge amount of games from 15 dollars and under)

only time i consider spending the money for shipping online is when i can't find a working copy at a nearby Gamestop.

I'll also point out how hating the employees is a bit unfair. It's not like all Gamestop employees are the same person. Your experience will be different from one store to another. Also pushing sales is common in just about any successful retail store. just say no and be on your way. i've never had a problem.

i do wish they had more used games WITH the case but again, not so much their fault when it's really all the idiot casual gamers that sell games they pull out of their pockets with no case or anything.

RooksEye

Mar 17, 2009
As a long time customer, now employee, of GameStop, I have to say I've never had a problem with them. As I said in an earlier thread, it really comes down to the employees. Yeah, I've gotten shitty service at a store or two, but 90% of the time, I've been treated very well and that's what I strive for as an employee.

As for price, I really can't argue: We can be a bit pricey, I'll admit it. But is anyone forcing you to buy that game? No, so go shop around, look for a better price.

With the condition, it's hit and miss. See, at the store I work at, I know for a fact all the employees are very picky about scratches and the quality of the disc. But, we get discs from other stores all across the country and I can't attest to the quality of associate at other places. Check the disc before you leave, ask if they have a better one. 9 out of 10 times, we'll gladly do it. Case doesn't matter, you all are just being picky. Don't want a broken or generic case? Buy a new copy and don't buy it if it's opened. Again, no one is forcing you to buy it.

Pre-orders: God, do I hate hearing about preorders. Look, we're gonna ask you: That's a fact. No getting around that. Don't want to preorder? Just tell them no thanks. Most of the time, we won't ask a second time.

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
Well, I'm from Sweden and the only good gamestore close to me is Gamestop, know the people there quite well.

Nice people and reasonable prices, so either we Swedes are just nicer to our customers or that store in particular has hired good people.

If you tell them the game you bought was scratched, they fix it for you for free and such.

Drefanator

Nov 24, 2009
I have no problem with the gamestop near me, for the most part the people there are very likeable and always willing to strike up a conversation, I've never had a problem with a broken game or scratched discs. Over priced? A bit, but the only place to buy games around me is the EB games (owned by gamestop) and Wal-mart.

The EB games near me, despite being in the same mall as the Gamestop is full of jerks who have always been rude. So I never go in there. And screw walmart.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I don't HATE Gamestop, but there have been some moments which make me question my loyalty. I do however love the employees there. Great people really. Last time I walked in (2 weeks after being out of the country) the first thing I hear is "Hey did I see you at the Magic[:the gathering] draft yesterday?". They recognize my face, which is good. As to why I doubt them, they wanted to give me $9.00 about 2 dollars for Powergig (They wouldn't take the guitar, so it was only the game). After some negotiation outside of the shop with friends over the phone, I walked back in and proudly told them I sold the game for $20.00; We all had a good laugh.