Why do you hate Gamestop?

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
No. Why would I? They provide a service that is useful to me, and are always nice to me why would I hate them. Yeah they are more expensive then the internet, but a lot of the time it's just more convenient to stop by the store. People pay for convenience.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Never had that happen, the ones around here are willing to take exchanges without a receipt around the holidays.[/quote]

That's great for you and your community, but that really doesn't change the fact that the store I went to lied to my face instead of honoring a deal that they themselves made up to help sell stuff. Obviously I can't speak for all the gamestops in the world but this one I'm more then happy encourage people to stay away from, especially since the prick that lied to me is still working there.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
I hate them for their shitty trade in prices. They gave me 7 bucks for Splinter Cell: Double Agent then put it back on the shelf for 54.99. From that day on, I vowed to never shop there again and I haven't. In fact I haven't even bought a console game since then.

WrcklessIntent

Apr 16, 2009
I don't hate the company. Its just like any really big corporation it just comes down to whether or not you have a good store near you. I worked for them for 2 years and not gonna lie it was awesome. I worked in a strip store one year and a mall the next. I had an awesome boss and district manager so they didn't care if you pushed stuff down people's throats just as long as you were good at task work and had good customer service. I'm seeing a lot of complaints about "I just bought a new game but it was opened." Its called gutting a game when one needed to be on display out on the floor, or several were needed to represent a big sale. No really big store policy on that but I know that on a few occasions if the person was a regular I would knock off 5 or 10%. Word of advice to if you want them to not ask you for preorders and cards so much don't go to a mall store. The year I worked in a strip store numbers were cake but when I was in a mall you actually did have to ask almost every person just to try to make your numbers.

TaintedSaint

Mar 16, 2011
Because new games are 59.99 and used are 57.99 then on some games you have to get an online pass so used turns out to be more expensive then new. And they treat employees like shit. Oh and they are fricking pushy about reorders.

aivalera

Aug 30, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Savo said:
-Games are overpriced. I can get better deals at Amazon, plus a better selection.

-Used games tend to be in mediocre condition, such as having no case. This is a big no-no for someone who has a small interest in collecting like me.

-Employees act like douchebags. I have several Gamestops in my area that I have been to over the years, and I can't think of a Gamestop employee who didn't act like a pushy pre-order whoring jerk. I am told that this isn't completely their fault, as the company makes them do it, but it still makes me hate them.
Must be a regional setting. I don't get this in Pittsburgh.
I agree with FalloutJack. I don't get that crap in Texas. If they did we would have to duel the manly way, with revolvers and cowboy hats, lol.

They do have a problem with inventory though. I wanted Pheonix Wright: Trials and Tribulations, but the only way to get it through Gamestop was to drive for around 6 hours to another store.

In the end I said "Screw that!" and just used amazon.

EDIT: Good boys and girls never trade in games :D

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
I don't actually mind the GameStop I go to. The guys there are pretty cool, and I don't mind saying "no" to a couple of pre-order pushes. It's a shame to know they probably get treated like crap by the company, so if I hated GameStop for any reason, it's the fact that the company itself is so hard on the workers.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I go maybe three times a year, each time I leave with an old game I was interested for maybe ten dollars. Never have had bad experiences there because I have to go out of my way to be there anyway.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Because Gamestop(along with every other game store) sells new Xbox 360 games in those horrible cases that destroy the disk just by taking it out of the case. They have broken three games of mine!

Gidiel167

May 13, 2009
i personally love it, especially now that there is one closer to where i live and is by my school. Convenient for midnight releases and to preorder things that i want on launch day.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
"Do you have a reward's card?"
"No."
"Would you like a reward's card?"
"No thank you."
"Are you sure? Here are all the benefits: (Talks about all the stuff you get for a minute or two)"
"No thanks."
"Okay, your total is $58.98. Are there any games you'd like to pre-order?"
"No."
"Do you want to insure your purchase for a dollar? If it gets scratched or damage within a year, we'll replace it for free."
"..."

May I please just buy my game without having to take a quiz first? And it's not just GameStop. Best Buy, Target, any place that hounds you with questions before you're finally able to get your stuff. I know it's their job (I work at Target even), but come on...

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Gorilla Gunk said:
$25 dollar trade-in value for a game released the day before.

/thread
Yea... agreed... the amount of money they make on used games irritates me. I go somewhere that gives me 35 to 40 for a new release and sells them for 45 or 50 used. They only make 10 dollars instead of the 30 that GameStop makes but they do more than enough in volume to make up for it.

Vorpal Chill

Mar 31, 2010
I don't really have that much of problem with Gamestop. I just wish I didn't have to go though a volley of questions to buy anything in the store.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
There are 2 main reasons that I dislike Gamestop/EB Games (they are essentially the same store):
1) I think they are single handily responsible for all this bullshit surrounding used game sales.
2) Because I don't like the fact that they allow their employees to "sample" the merchandise, so even when buying a "new" game from them there's no guarantee that you're not getting one that hasn't already been played (and mistreated). And before anyone doubts me, I found out about this in an article written by a former Gamestop employee.

bioject

Aug 12, 2010
Allthingsspectacular said:
This thread is addressing the people who dislike Gamestop as a whole.

If you hate Gamestop, why? Is there a reason?

Personally I hate gamestop because of their advertising, employee policies and pre-order B.S. But what about youguys?
All of their deals aren't really deals. Also it always smells like BO and I hate it when they try and get me to buy stupid crap. If they were more like Steam that actually has good deals, then maybe I would care about them. Gamespot is a skeleton of the 90s.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
There are 2 main reasons that I dislike Gamestop/EB Games (they are essentially the same store):
1) I think they are single handily responsible for all this bullshit surrounding used game sales.
2) Because I don't like the fact that they allow their employees to "sample" the merchandise, so even when buying a "new" game from them there's no guarantee that you're not getting one that hasn't already been played (and mistreated). And before anyone doubts me, I found out about this in an article written by a former Gamestop employee.
Yeah, (2) has always kinda ground my gears, too. Not enough to keep me away from GameStop(after all, if the disc doesn't work, it ain't my fault, so give me a new one), but it does irritate me a little bit.

LooK iTz Jinjo

Feb 22, 2009
Australian so EB Games. The one thing I care about is the price I am being charged for games and EB is about $20-30 more expensive than most other retail stores in Australia. It can be $40-50 (or even more) dearer than an buying online.