Why do you hate the new COD IW trailer?

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
I don't. In fact, I didn't even see it. Haven't cared about CoD since CoD 2 or something. Just not interested whatsoever. Funny though, because of all the dislikes it gets, it keeps popping up on websites and on podcast discussions. So the hate for it has probably made it reach more people, and I bet a bunch of those people watch it and think "hey, this kinda looks neat!"

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I didn't press the dislike button, because I'd long since given up on COD and I felt the public had already overwhelmingly shown what they think of this yet-again nonsense.

I did like the absolute $%^& out of the Battlefield trailer though, because I'd long since given up on Battlefield as well, and yet the next one looks to bring back everything that was amazing about the original BF1942. This is the first Battlefield game I've actually wanted to buy in... my god... fourteen years!

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
I believe a lot of people disliked it in protest of the COD4 remake being locked behind the $80 legacy edition with no option to buy separately.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I actually watched before disliking, but knew I was going to do it anyways. COD has become synonymous with generic rehashed productions and no amount of MP modes or DLC packs are going to fix it. Have they even built a new engine since 2007?

It's become the series that something like a South Park is long overdue to make a spoof out of, even more than they did for WoW.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Elfgore said:
I don't, like everyone else here. It actually is the first COD trailer to get my attention in some time. Ironically, I love it because it goes so over the top and stupid. We have enough serious war games, I don't mind one that just goes "Fuck it! Have some space battles and a stupid ass Sci-Fi plot."
Pretty much this, even if i'm not going to buy it I do like the overall feel of it.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I don't care much about CoD but I gotta admit as a non fan space is exactly what would get me interested in the game, Battlefront didn't give me space battles, Star Fox controls were uncomfortable and unnatural so if CoD gives me my space battles fix so be it I'm skeptical but still excited to see what else is there

LordBaztion

Sep 26, 2011
I didn't dislike it.
Actually I'm looking forward those space battles scenes but I'm not paying FRP for it, maybe I'll buy it used for $20.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
"DIS ES GROWN CONTROL 2 MAYJOR THOM"
Seriously- when it got to space, I cringed. Not only from the bad David Bowie cover, but it just looks so trite, dry, lacking in creativity- But then again, this is Call of Duty we're talking about.

This half-assed faux Sci-fi shooter thing is getting really, really over played.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I think this is entirely the wrong demographic to ask. The escapist, alarmingly, isn't made up of frothing at the mouth react-first-question-later 14 year olds who want the same helping of fast food they've had 8 days in a row.

I think this is the group, morbidly curious, open to change, but skeptical and rightfully so after a few burnings. In other words, adjusted gaming adults.

As for me, saw a bit of it, shrugged and went 'okay sure, seems about right', while I am professionally paid to sell the game to people (hahaha) these kind of games are not how I spend my spare hours of the day. I like my video games entrenched in fantasy, I leave depressing realism at the front door.

chrissx2

Sep 15, 2008
I didn't hate it, but it was quite 'meh'.

Where to start ...
Technically it looked like a step back from the previous CoD game (or maybe i was spoiled by all the new games).
Visual style felt out of place. Mix of modern/near future era, with some borderland-like robots and planets looked just veird.
The trailer was trying to envoke some emotions, but it completely failed at that. Music didn't help with that either.
The whole thing looked just like a bunch random uninteresting clips slapped together.

The trailer didn't show anything cool. No action, no deep, emotional moments, no great visuals, no gameplay, no story ... nothing.
It was just a one big mess.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Elfgore said:
I don't, like everyone else here. It actually is the first COD trailer to get my attention in some time. Ironically, I love it because it goes so over the top and stupid. We have enough serious war games, I don't mind one that just goes "Fuck it! Have some space battles and a stupid ass Sci-Fi plot."
chadachada123 said:
Quite the opposite. This is the first CoD trailer in YEARS that looks like it has even an ounce of originality, on top of being completely over the top. CoD in space sounds much better than the shit that has been almost everything past Modern Warfare.
Precisely this.

For the first time in a LONG time[footnote]Though, Advanced Warfare was dumb fun with some interesting mechanics.[/footnote] it looks like one of the COD developers decided to actually have FUN with the franchise. To do something different, over-the-top, and interesting. That alone endears the game to me, not counting how butthurt the internet collectively got over the trailer.

More over, I'm loving how everyone seemingly creamed their pants over the Battlefield 1[footnote]How fucking dumb is this title? Holy shit, DICE...[/footnote] trailer but have since gotten more and more aggravated and annoyed as more information about the game has released, yet Infinite Warfare sounds more and more interesting the more I've heard of it.

I don't normally enjoy schadenfreude, but this? This pleases me.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I am hoping Kevin Spacey returns in this installment as a Futurama-esque head in a jar. Also on top of a giant spider-bear robot. Or that could just be his angry upgrade mode. Anymoo, the point is that future crazy action is always a lot more intriguing than modern day realism, because there's plenty of that inside and outside of reality. Now...all they need is some unique weaponry. Not "totally-not-a-shotgun,-the-spread-is-pwetty-lasers-instead" copycat guns. Sci-fi-fantasy the shit outta the setting...perhaps even literally. Havn't seen the trailer though, have no desire for trailers. I think i accidentally saw some footage somehow...the marketing seeps into all crevices of society with that much money pushing it.

I thought the huge number of dislikes were down to Activision gating COD 4 behind the IW collector's edition. Not the trailer itself. Which is a snide business move, even for Activision. I'll probably try it during a sale as per usual.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I don't hate it. I don't like it. I am, in fact, absolutely ambivalent towards it- I didn't feel anything as I watched it. It was a love paean to the brand's faithful, amongst which I do not number, all bombast and spectactle without apparent meaning. Who were those soldiers? Who was blowing up whom, and why should I care? Who were those hotshot pilots in the futuristic variable-geometry aerospacecraft, and who was in those big spaceships they were attacking? Whose names were on that wall? I didn't know, and I didn't see anything that made me care.

5/10, would meh again.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Just gonna throw out there that while the Space battles caught my interest, I hope they're better implemented then the one mission in BLOPS2 where you jump in a VTOL fighter plane and shoot drones on rails for 10 minutes. That whole thing just felt like a waste of a good idea.

Kind of like the SR-71 mission in BLOPS 1 which was a good idea with a meh execution.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
I don't hate it. I haven't even watched it. I'm just pissed that they're holding the game I actually want hostage behind a game I wouldn't even touch with a ten foot pole.

So for that reason alone I feel the dislike is justified. Now whether that is actually the reason for the dislike? Who knows.