why do you listen to music?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
actually my real pont here is: often music gets associated with a certian "group" or steryotype

if you like one gender your obviously some twat who thinks he/she is being all rebelious..if you liek another your a wanabe gangsta idiot and so on....

so my point is..does anyone actually listen to music because of thease superficial reasons?

is it possible to listen to and apreciate somthing like linkin park and KoRn and NOT fit the sterotype? just listen to it because you like the music?

because I can understand somone critcising music because they dont like the sound, but I what I cant stand (or understand) is somone critcizing music because of the kind of people who listen to it (you know, steryotypically)

because I just listen to music because I like it or I have posative memories associated with i, not because Im a teenage duffering from angst or I think Im rebelling againts...somthing

so..what about you? do you also avoid listening to certain types of music because of the kind of people its associated with?

Soleron

Nov 18, 2009
Why would you broadcast your listening preferences? You don't have to tell people you listen to rap or whatever.

If you mean being comfortable with yourself, then deliberately watch and listen to ANYTHING for a few months and the feeling will wear off. Ponies and pony music did this for me, so maybe girls can do the opposite by listening to hard rock and watching action films?

Extravagance

Mar 23, 2011
I do fit into the metal stereotype to some extent (long hair, beard, large collection of black clothing), but I also have other musical tastes. I wear the clothes and such because they're comfortable and I don't much like the "trendy" stuff. That doesn't mean I limit what I listen to. It's true my like of heavy metal is kinda whats pushed me away from 'mainstream' music, but mostly because it just doesn't sound very good to me any more.

Nylarathotep

Dec 11, 2008
I used to listed almost exclusively to metal (back when I was an angry, depressed, emo-bashing goth teenager [emo-hunting, a time honoured school activity]), and hated rap and anything that could be defined as "pop."
Of course, ever since I was much younger, I had an overriding like of Classical.

These days I'm interested in Classical, Rock, Dub-Step, R&B, Metal, Hip-Hop, and any songs I think sound good that aren't in English (something about being able to understand the lyrics makes a song distracting and corny more often than not). And I've never heard of a stereotype that fits this.

Mainly, I know when I'm enjoying a song and I know when I'm not enjoying a song.

Bucht

Apr 22, 2010
I listen to metal and I'm the walking stereotype (and so are my friends).
We make noise, drink beer, start fights and summon demons at night (obviously the last part is a joke).

And no, I would never avoid listening to what I like because I'm already "the kind of people its associated with".

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Soleron said:
Why would you broadcast your listening preferences? You don't have to tell people you listen to rap or whatever.

If you mean being comfortable with yourself, then deliberately watch and listen to ANYTHING for a few months and the feeling will wear off. Ponies and pony music did this for me, so maybe girls can do the opposite by listening to hard rock and watching action films?
Yeah, this was a head scratcher for me.

Fair enough, a lot of people like My little Pony, but Pony music? What the hell is it, is it a real genre, is it real music? Or is it someone who has taken their fandom of the cartoon a little step too far.

Also, once you hit you're twenties, you start to not give a fuck about music stereotypes, and just enjoy music as a whole. It has opened up for me a treasure trove of untapped music, and if you ever told my 17 year old self that I would be listening mostly to electronic music in my twenties, he would punch you in the tummy and called you silly.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I listen to post-hardcore and metalcore. People usually associate that with scene kids, but I do not look scene at all.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
For me I will listen to anything that I like, especially if it has a nice rhythm to it. I mainly listen to videogame remixes, nerd rock, and sometimes humorous music. I won't listen to stuff that is violent, because I'm not that sort of person. I do listen to music that would normally give people nightmares, but I like that sort stuff.

Nylarathotep said:
Mainly, I know when I'm enjoying a song and I know when I'm not enjoying a song.
The same goes for me, I know when I am enjoying something and when I'm not.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
I like most kinds of music and can listen to just about anything but the only thing I cannot stand is urban. You know, rap, rnb, that sort of stuff. I have heard some stuff I actually like but most of the stuff in the popular scene is just shit. I know it sounds terribly cliche but there isn't a thing about it I can like, the melodies are repetitive, there are about three different beat riffs shared over all of them, the subject matter is deplorable and they always look...well I won't go into the different types now but I'll just describe it all as "terrible". This is really blanket and I do actually occasionally hear popular stuff in these genres I can like but most of the time I still choose not to.

On topic of the type of people who listen to such music, most of them are alright but then I've never met anyone who actually strives to be like the people who make this music. I think I would have to encourage rehabilitation if I did, but I'd probably really just ignore them.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
I listen to the music I listen to because I enjoy it. What other people listen to has no bearing. The only downside is I don't really have anyone to talk about music with.

And, yes, some people do listen to certain types of music because of what is associated with it. Is it just coincidence that all chavs (or your local equivalent) listen to the same music?

lilmizzazle

Aug 11, 2010
I listen to music because it stimulates my mind in every way, in any mood. I'm a musician, so i might have a diffrent view on music than many others. I am one of those avoiding the "mainstream" but not because i don't want to be a part of it. I just think that todays pop music sound so plastic and it's all about the looks today!

For example, i heard Rihanna sucked live, and what kind of world wide celeberty artist are you if you are famous as a vocalist, and can't sing? the systems is f'd up and i don't wish to invest any of my money in to it.

I listen to artists like Tool, The Mars Volta, Björk, World's End Girlfriend and 16bit (everything from psycadelic rock to postrock, dubstep, DnB and Jazz. i listen to alot of diffrent music)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Hosker said:
I listen to the music I listen to because I enjoy it. What other people listen to has no bearing. The only downside is I don't really have anyone to talk about music with.

And, yes, some people do listen to certain types of music because of what is associated with it. Is it just coincidence that all chavs (or your local equivalent) listen to the same music?
they are probably a bit too dim to have thier own taste

(Im sory Im sorry that was horrible...I couldnt help it)

The Nossa

Jan 25, 2011
I listen to mainly metal. But I have respect for all artists, Bieber and Rebecca included. The reason I listen to music is because it inspires me, it empowers me and at the end of the day. No matter how bad a day I've had the guitar solo in "November Rains" - Guns N' Roses always forgives and reminds me I'm not alone.

For those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbUC-UaAxE&ob=av3e

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I listen to what my ears enjoy; nothing more, nothing less. I like maybe a handful of songs from genres I don't usually listen to.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
I listen to stuff that intrigues that makes me feel good, simple as that. That means anything from rap to doom metal (although I am leaning HEAVILY to the doom metal side :D)