Why do you think atheists are abundant on the Internet?

burhanr

Jun 7, 2011
In addition to the internet does not attract the loud and stupid religious people, the internet is also the place where people can pretend to be what they are not to be in real life.

Excuse me for a moment, I can see the bat signal.

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
GamerKT said:
Excuse me, but atheism is not a religion.
Did I say that? I'm too lazy to look at all my posts in this thread, but if I did (by some accident), I'm sorry about that.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Firstly, age. Secondly, the medium we communicate in. Thirdly, freedom do say stuff.
Almost all the people I know are atheists, so I don't really see any difference here.
DEFAULT POSITION FTW!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Fluke said:
Ed130 said:
It's really quite complex, involving the stigmata of being non-religious in an increasingly secular world
I'm guessing you meant "stigma" there - an atheist with stigmata might result in a convert ;)
It appears that Skyrim binge + Work + Caffine does strange things to my brain. Ill fix it now thanks.

REcaptcha: every oflecus

Havegun

Sep 26, 2011
For my money it's a combination of a couple of answers so far, but mainly that: Religious types generally try to fly below the radar, so to speak. We're easy targets, I guess. We know that if we say something or other about out beliefs, trolls and other lowly internet lifeforms will come crawling out of the woodworks, trying to provoke an arguement that we aren't really interested in.

Aug 1, 2010
Dick answer I would like to be true: The internet is technology. Smart people use technology.

Real answer: I think it's mostly just this site. We are all nerds here and nerds are rarely religious.

TheAmerikahn

Aug 24, 2010
anonymity, most of the atheists i know irl aren't really in your face about it which makes it fine by me, on the other hand if they told me that i was a moron for spending an hour in church once a week I wouldn't really want to hang out with them. On the internet you can say whatever the fuck you want so you're just more vocal about it.

GamerKT

Jul 27, 2009
I Have No Idea said:
GamerKT said:
Excuse me, but atheism is not a religion.
Did I say that? I'm too lazy to look at all my posts in this thread, but if I did (by some accident), I'm sorry about that.
If you called atheism a religious population, yes. I was mostly referring to other people, though.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Well, the Internet is an international crossroad, with a population regulated by accessibility.

Take my home nation of Sweden as an example. 77% atheist, and our broadband penetration rate is roughly 70%. I could easily get myself a 200 Mb/s fiber-optic connection if I'd like, and for a very affordable price.

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
I get what you're saying (sort of, you kinda come across as very yelly), but that makes you no better than those few religious zealots, does it not? If you wanted religious people to stop talking about your atheism, and then you come onto the Internet and tear down anyone of faith, then you're the same side of that destructive coin.

GamerKT said:
If you called atheism a religious population, yes. I was mostly referring to other people, though.
I don't recall ever doing so, so phew. I know these subjects are touchy, and the last thing I want to do is piss somebody off.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Most of the religious people I've met are afraid of the internet, to be honest. They think it's evil and bad for them and for their kids. Some of them use Facebook but don't go beyond that.

In the States, at least the region I'm in, Christianity is the only socially acceptable mode of thought. I'm not afraid to say that I'm an atheist if the subject was to ever come up, but I know a lot of people are scared to do that. We're kind of a minority, and we get hated for it. But on the internet, all of us who are spread out everywhere can get our community on, but the religious people already have their local communities so they don't go too deeply into the internet. At least I imagine that this is the case, but it could be any number of reasons ...

shadowsoul222

Jun 6, 2010
Continuity said:
BrotherRool said:
Continuity said:
99% of people are atheist therefore 99% of internet users are atheist. Its really not that surprising.

Also it depends where you look, Christians for example are more into prayer and bible study than computer games as a rule so you'd be better off looking on a Christian forum if you wanted to find Christians. Just a thought.
I've got to disagree with the numbers, although I can't find any numbers that aren't highly subjective.

At Uni, the Christian Union is 400ish + people, CathSoc is 100ish people and Rock Solid (Christians from Asia) must be about 100 ish too. And then we have Jainism, Islam, Buddhism etc... By comparison the Secular Society is tiny.

But those are terrible examples because christianity stresses a strong bond on community and togetherness whereas with atheists, it's just other cool like-minded people to hang out with.

Looking at my friend network is terrible too because I just randomly ended up being friends with a lot of christians and church life and not liking going out and getting smashed quite firmly pushed me into social networks full of christians.

However just from what I feel, most people are meet just don't care either way. They haven't really thought about it and when pushed they hazily say they're on one side without actually having much conviction. One friend says she's probably call herself christian, but she admits that's just because she associates that with being British, kinda and others say agnostic/atheist etc in the same way. My brother says he doesn't believe in God but he could imagine things happening to him in the army that would change that.

So I figure 99% of people aren't either .25% of people are 'militant' atheist as in involved with the atheist community, strong in their belief and the sort to share funny photos over the internet and .75% are religious.

(Silly numbers but I hope it conveys the idea)
Ah well when I say atheist I basically mean not Christian (other other minority faith). A secular person who hasn't really thought about it one way or the other I would classify as atheist. You dont have to do anything or believe anything to be an atheist, you just have to refrain from actively believing in God.
As for "militant atheists", well these people form a subset of convicted and vocal atheists, however I don't think you need to be in anyway convicted or vocal to be atheist.
I think you're slightly confused about the terminology here. Atheist means someone who purposefully believes that God/a god/gods DON'T exist. Whereas what your talking about is more of agnostic, where you just haven't given thought to it and don't care whether there is or isn't.

OT: I think it's been said but the internet tends to attract a younger audience, and younger people (12~18) tend to be less religious. Also religious people tend to be thought of as ignorant/backwards thinking. Also if everyone was forced to declare their religious beliefs I'm sure that you would find more religious people than you originally thought. Also it's mostly just this site.

mellemhund

Apr 1, 2009
Maybe it's because you live in a place where no one is openly atheist and you notice ahteist more.

Living in a country where most people are practically atheist (they do the rituals but doesn't really believe in divinity) I am always amazed at the amount of religious people on the internet. And believe me the religious people are a very loud crowd.

Atheism doesn't make you intelligent, but intelligence tends to make you an atheist.

GamerKT

Jul 27, 2009
I Have No Idea said:
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
I get what you're saying (sort of, you kinda come across as very yelly), but that makes you no better than those few religious zealots, does it not? If you wanted religious people to stop talking about your atheism, and then you come onto the Internet and tear down anyone of faith, then you're the same side of that destructive coin.

GamerKT said:
I don't recall ever doing so, so phew. I know these subjects are touchy, and the last thing I want to do is piss somebody off.
Don't worry; you didn't piss me off. Just clarifying a common misconception. We're good.

FurinKazanNZ

Dec 30, 2009
theonecookie said:
I think its got something to do with you average internet user being more logicly inclined rather than spiritually inclined

Although that is changing every day it was just that more atheists picked it up sooner , that and the internet allows you to freely form an opinion rather than having one shoved down your throat
Sorry, but "logically" is not the opposite of "spiritually", and the vast numbers of idiotic comments across the internet which jump to ridiculous conclusions from, well, practically anything inconclusive, should totally dispel the idea that the "average" person on the internet has a good grasp of logic.