Why do you think Windwaker is good?

Mr.Teatime

Sep 8, 2010
After seeing the Twilight Princess thread, it got me thinking: What makes Windwaker good? I hear people(especially on this site) really love this game, and I want to know why.
Personally for me, I never really liked it as much as Ocarina or Majora, and want to know what exactly is so appealing.
I know that, for the most part, it's a matter of preference and opinion, and I'm not trying to bash it or anything, just curious. Was it the random silliness of a lot of it, the story? The different feel from the previous games that were more serious?

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
It's fun, has a great art style, some good comedy and it's a Zelda game.

Rather simple view on the game but it still rings true, the game just feels fun.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
It's different...ish.

It wasn't so much a blatant rehash of the same story. It was a different and appealing art style, and it was light-hearted and still somewhat deep (...not like, diggin' a well sort of deep, but at least a large bucket) but most of all? Flow. The game flowed together very nicely, the sailing was either a good break between events, to build up anticipation. Or you could use it to explore, as there is something interesting in every map square. ...and if sailing took too long for you, you're either impatient, or you never warped...

I thought it was brilliant, especially coming off of OOT and MM, it was just the right sort of different for me.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I really enjoyed the it, the art style was jarring at first, but quickly grew on me. I loved the swordplay, yes, it may be easy in parts, but the effect was awesome, especially with the sound effects.

On the subject of sound, the music is probably the best part of the experience. It made the sailing more fun too.

On the downside, it was a little short, and showed signs of being rushed to the market. It needed a couple more dungeons, that were originally planned, but removed.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
I actually couldn't get into the game at first. The sailing really annoyed me. Later on I did give it a fair shot and I enjoyed it for the most part. The art style is unique, the dungeons are laid out well and satisfying to complete. I also like how boss fights are done, similar fashion as OOT, in that the challenge is figuring out the pattern to kill the boss. I found that very satisfying.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
oplinger said:
It's different...ish.

It wasn't so much a blatant rehash of the same story. It was a different and appealing art style, and it was light-hearted and still somewhat deep (...not like, diggin' a well sort of deep, but at least a large bucket) but most of all? Flow. The game flowed together very nicely, the sailing was either a good break between events, to build up anticipation. Or you could use it to explore, as there is something interesting in every map square. ...and if sailing took too long for you, you're either impatient, or you never warped...

I thought it was brilliant, especially coming off of OOT and MM, it was just the right sort of different for me.
This sums up my feelings pretty well, and I imagine it will be repeated quite a bit here by people who enjoyed the game.

One thing that I enjoyed was its scope, and the epic-ness (for lack of a better word) of its set-pieces. Sailing the open ocean, taking down sea monsters, fighting giant enemies regularly in large-scale battles, etc. It all felt like they tried to create a bigger, better game, with a different vibe than the previous iterations.

And let's be honest. Saying that "a Nintendo game feels different that the previous versions in the series" is a rarity, one that I welcome with open arms (cf. Metroid Prime, Paper Mario, etc.).

GinraiPrime

Aug 26, 2010
Its got a different feel from the other Zeldas, its got some nice bits of humor, the exploration is actually very enjoyable and gives you an idea of how huge the game world is and above all else, its fun! :)

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
It's got a brilliant colorful art style that still holds up very well today, probably the best soundtrack in the entire series. It very much sets itself apart from other Zelda titles. The sailing is actually a pretty good mechanic honestly, if you got impatient with it, you could have learned the Ballad of Gales to warp. Exploring the islands was fun and there was a good amount of sidequests and content. Underneath the light hearted exterior, there are some pretty dark and mature things about it but it stays happy and upbeat throughout. I could go on for hours about how much I love this game, I love every single thing about it except that it's a bit easy (That's why I usually do a 3 heart run) and the tri-force quest near the end. (It takes you to some great areas but the maps are kind of pointless) It's by far my favorite Zelda game (Don't really like the series as a whole to be honest) and my favorite game of all time.

Edit: Oh yeah, and even though he didn't talk, Link had way more character in this game than any of his past incarnations.

Talydia

Feb 15, 2011
For me its the art and the world. I admittedly hated the style when they first revealed it after the first Link vs. Ganondorf teaser. I'm actually playing through Ocarina again right now, while its still one of my favorite games, I think I prefer windwaker. I can't fairly compare WW to twilight princes though as I haven't finished it yet still, mostly because it felt kind of bland after the character that WW had.

Mark Flanagan

Apr 25, 2011
Never played Twilight Princess but Windwaker is my favourite Zelda game. I can't explain why but apart from the odd overly long boat ride it's pretty darn good.

k7avenger

Sep 26, 2010
Yea, WW would have to be my 2nd favorite of the Zelda series (aLttP being first). It has THE BEST soundtrack in any Zelda game, period. The dungeons and boss fights are pretty fun and challenging. There are plenty of side quests to distract yourself from the main quest at times as well. And at the very LEAST, it wasn't a pure copy/paste of A Link to the Past that Ocarina of Time and TP was.

May 17, 2010
I liked the whole after the end feel. It was like Waterworld except not shit. The art style and music were cool and the sword fighting was neat. Also I did laugh at bits. Beside I did actually like that rescuing your sister was explained as a calculated project by the baddies rather then someone being a dick.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I like the overly done artstyle and combat, but the sailing really takes away from the game.

I mean, I think it's the worst Zelda game, but if they tossed the longass sailing times, it'd quickly be one of my favorite.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
I love it. I couldn't put my finger on one, or five reasons, it has so much going for it that trying to break it down would just ruin it.

It holds the special place in my heart for #1 nostalgia memories.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
Good world, good characterization, good art style, good story (for a Zelda game), enjoyable dungeons, particularly at the end.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I liked Windwaker, the combat seemed to be a faster pace, and the Darkness temple's mirror room is my favorite Zelda puzzle.

The only negative thing I can really say about it is that it takes forever to get from one island to the next. Even with the wind at your back. Even with the warp song. Forever.

If there was a fast travel system, where once you visited an island you could warp directly there with the warp song, then it would have been a much better game.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
It's not my favorite in the series, or even in the top five (maybe not even top ten)...but I do like it. Though I really can't think of anything it does better than any other game in the series, it is overall solid in execution. Even though there's little to praise, there is little to complain about either.