Why does Dark Souls get so much praise?

SqueezetheFlab

Jul 30, 2016
I'm pushing 40, so if I just don't "get it", please just say so and help me die inside a little bit more.

I've played through Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 and Dark Souls 2 (in that order). While Bloodborne had much faster, responsive combat (THANK YOU) than the previous incarnations, it still did not induce the awe that I had been hearing about.

This sums up my feelings of the combat quite nicely:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.941091-Finished-Dark-Souls-Disappointed-with-its-combat

If you focus on the character development aspect and weapon variety (without taking viability into account, ESPECIALLY in PvP for Dark Souls 3), it does do a fair job. So praise where it is due.

Graphics I can't judge; since I grew up with "8 bit" graphics with midi music everything looks/sounds nice to me.

To me the above aren't enough to carry the quality of the game due to the fact that 100% of what you do in a Dark Souls game is combat:

There is little story (sorry, fan speculation doesn't count), no puzzles (sorry, but pulling levers in any given order once/twice doesn't count either) and hardly anything that you have to figure out to progress in the game. Not to mention platforming... yikes.

I could forgive the above if the combat had depth, but it doesn't due to the lack of fighting mechanics and physics that you find in other modern (or even "old" SNES/PS1 games that were cutting edge at their time).

To me it feels like I'm doing the same thing over and over again. Roll, light attack (or heavy actually worked in Bloodborne), Roll. Occasionally parry. Occasionally backstab. There are no elaborate combos that you can pull off, combo breakers, 3D somersaults, parkour, what have you. It's easy to pick up and easy to master. It's all a function of patience and time, but not skill inherent to the execution.

Maybe it's my wasted childhood spent playing street fighter and its myriad offshoots in the arcade talking here, but 2-3 buttons without directional combos (like Ryu's hadoken) just doesn't cut it for me.

I get the lack of hand-holding being an attraction nowadays, although I suppose that having grown up with games that forced you to guess about everything (often due to horrible graphics), it doesn't really impress me.

So, am I missing something? Is it the fact that games have recently gotten stupidly easy (Batman, Witcher, etc.) and this game offers some form of difficulty?

Why can't we have games like this, but with much more complex combat? Put physics into swings, add REAL MOMENTUM AND FORCE! Like some of the other new games are doing (chivalry, war of the roses, etc.). Let characters climb. Make platforming a viable option. Simply add more COMPLEXITY to the EXECUTION in the game. The character development can stay the same and I would be happy.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The world is deep, but you have to look for it. You have to connect the dots, but there are tons of them, they just require you actually look for them

For combat...I don't know what people want from RPG combat, I genuinely don't. I was fine with Morrowind. Fine with Skyrim, fine with Dark Souls and fine with Mount and Blade. I also like Dynasty Warriors, but while it has more depth than the other examples, I mostly just use the same combo. (I believe its Light, Light, Light, Heavy...)

Its about overcoming the challenge of the fight. Its not about going Devil May Cry infinite combo on the enemies, but about parrying and dodging and hitting openings. To be able to read the enemy who is more varied than most games, and come out victorious.

There is such a thing as too complex. If I have to replay the tutorial every time I take a break, that's annoying. Dark Souls doesn't do that. Having 100%'d Dark Souls 1, I went into Dark Souls 3 using deprived and did just fine. My first time in Dark Souls I would not be able to do that.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
SqueezetheFlab said:
To me the above aren't enough to carry the quality of the game due to the fact that 100% of what you do in a Dark Souls game is combat:
Well that's an inaccurate over exaggeration and something that isn't inherently bad for some people.

There is little story
You're right, there is little story which is something some people like. Some people like being given snippets of history and trying to discover how everything happened and what everything means, even if there's nothing to potentially be found.

(sorry, fan speculation doesn't count)
I've had a lot of fun discussing the lore of Souls games over the years with people, and that aspect adds to the enjoyment of exploring levels and reading text found in game. So why shouldn't it count?

no puzzles
So?

Maybe it's my wasted childhood spent playing street fighter and its myriad offshoots in the arcade talking here, but 2-3 buttons without directional combos (like Ryu's hadoken) just doesn't cut it for me.
There are a lot of games and game genres that don't feature hadouken motions, DPs, pretzels etc., but that does not mean they aren't 'deep'. You're using the standards of one genre to judge another.

it the fact that games have recently gotten stupidly easy (Batman, Witcher, etc.) and this game offers some form of difficulty?
No, of course not. You think all the hundreds of thousands of people who played and enjoyed these games all like them for just that reason?

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
I think the combat is a lot more deep than you give it credit for. I'm always learning new little details that I never noticed even though I beat the game already.
Almost every weapon is different, even weapons in the same class will sometimes have different move sets, so choosing what weapon to use isn't about just choosing the one with the biggest number.
And every enemy has different resistances to different types of damage, so a heavily armored enemy will be more resistant to slash attacks but weaker to thrust attacks. Some weapons have slash and thrust attacks, and the jumping attack has a bonus against armor, so it is a bit more complicated to choose what weapon or attack to use on a given enemy.
There's also counters, which I just learned about, where if you hit an enemy while they are in an attack animation you will do extra damage.

Aside from the combat though, the thing that keeps me hooked on souls games is the death system. It's not like most games where if you die you get transported back in time like nothing happened. When you fuck up in Dark Souls, the game knows it. It gives you one chance to recover, but if you make the same mistake again and die again, then you actually lose progress. It's nice to play a game where you know everything you do will matter.
It makes playing other games that make you replay entire sections because you goofed up one bit at the end such a chore

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
You know, it is fine to not like a game.

I tried it and it isn't exactly my cup of tea, so I stopped. But I could see how people could get into it. There isn't anything terrible about it, the combat is pretty good, the atmosphere is good, the world is good, I am a sucker for rpg elements...

It is just a solid game.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...so, you want us to explain why people like a game you don't like...

does this count as one of our tasks? Do we have to fight the Nemean Lion next?

Anyway, there's no combos because... it's not that kind of game. It's always weird when people complain that there's no combo system because... yeah, it's just not that kind of fast beat-em-up game. It's a lot slower and more methodical than that, focused on tanking hits or dodging them to find moments to strike rather than finding which combo does the most damage.

The game has a very rich atmosphere and does a lot of implicit storytelling - there's a lot of lore and story elements everywhere, but it doesn't throw them out at you, you stumble across them through gear descriptions, enemies you face and the few NPCs you encounter who don't wish to murder the hell out of you. While the brutal PvP definitely helped make it so popular in regards to how many builds worked (unless you just GiantDad'd like an asshole), the Jolly Cooperation of summoning friendly phantoms to go curb-stomp difficult bosses like a violent version of Journey really helped forge a lot of bonds amongst the community.

The later games also really helped get the Dark Souls praise going, given they fixed all the problems DS1 had while maintaining most of the awesome bits (Yeah, sucks that Poise is gone in III but to be fair me and my mates are pretty sure it's because they just gave it all back to Havel). Sequels done right and all that jazz, really helps get a lot of positive feelings from gamers.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
pookie101 said:
as far i can tell its just this generations "ghosts and goblins"
Except Dark Souls isn't particularly hard and Ghosts n Goblins is both hard and terribly made.

OT: Because a lot of people enjoy the sum of the parts, the experience is something they derive pleasure from, therefor they praise it share it with their peers and friends.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
DrownedAmmet said:
Aside from the combat though, the thing that keeps me hooked on souls games is the death system. It's not like most games where if you die you get transported back in time like nothing happened. When you fuck up in Dark Souls, the game knows it. It gives you one chance to recover, but if you make the same mistake again and die again, then you actually lose progress. It's nice to play a game where you know everything you do will matter.
It makes playing other games that make you replay entire sections because you goofed up one bit at the end such a chore
That's a personal favourite of mine too. It's very rare for a game to actually incorporate death as an in-game mechanic, so the Souls series going 'well, you fucked that up, but we'll give you one chance to get your shit, don't do it again' felt waaaaay more interesting and engaging than a 'Lol Game Over, back to the checkpoint you go!'.

Hell, if anything the Souls series made Death immersive, which is damn impressive. I never felt like I'd been taken out of the action because I forgot which chest was the Mimic or rolled when I should've blocked, dying to something and coming back at a bonfire was just... how the world worked. Dying was never a 'You suck' moment, it was always a 'Well, that didn't work, let's try rolling instead' which was such a nice change of pace to so many other games.

Athennesi

Jul 28, 2016
Well, the coming Nioh seems to be aiming for a crossover between a Gaiden/Souls games, which could prove a good mix.
DS imo spreads itself a bit too thin with too many weapon playstyles...I personally enjoyed Severance a lot more, as you gained different moves, a lot of them were pretty damn gratifying to pull off, plus gore. At the end of the day, you were a damn good sword master( or whatever class you belonged to) who could wreck anything that stood in your way, just as you could die easily if being careless.

Also I prefer some unpredictability and unexpected interaction that force the player to be creative and "think on his feet" so to speak. DS has a lot of number crunching within it's mechanics, but the actual play part felt a bit "too stiff" to my liking.
An example from a recent game I played:

I had a mission to assassinate someone holed up in a fortified castle. There were several routes into it...I decided to fly in over, completely bypassing small army in front. There was still a lot of guards in courtyard, so I hopped into a jeep and parked it to block the entrance to keep them from swarming me. Took cover and started to take them out: standard, predictable cover/shoot/cover/shoot... until two of them rushed into a jeep, one behind a wheel another on turret and headed toward me. I quickly took out the driver which caused him to crash into oil barrel. This set everything on fire, turning everything into a complete chaos...people screaming and shooting frantically, smoke everywhere, guards from behind suddenly rushing in: everything got completely of out of control and turned to run and gun and rely on dumb luck as anything else to survive.

DS sort of feels, how to put it, "too organized"?...you see a few enemies, you learn their position and their attack patterns, you leash them one from another or typically from the ranged attackers, you take them out by using the type of weapon/it's movesets to your advantage.

Exanima is also a very interesting on that end: procedural animations, very dynamic AI and a ton of interaction when it comes to physics.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
The thread you sourced literally has the answer you're asking for here.

The series is a masterpiece of atmosphere and level/world design, with an excellent story that's not 'entirely speculation,' and serviceable and fun combat.

Yet another case of 'different strokes for different folks.' I haven't the slightest idea why some people can't seem to process that.

Athennesi

Jul 28, 2016
Glongpre said:
It's been a while, but didn't Diablo II had the same retrieve the "corpse": exp+items. I think more than a few games have a similar way of doing it.
DS did however do an excellent job of tying game play mechanics into the world and giving them believable, immersive context...basically anti Ubisoft.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Yeah the combat kinda blows. In 3 its either invincible roll into two or three hits with a quick weapon or roll and 1 hit with a heavy weapon. Or you can cheese it further and just charge stuff and kill it before they attack you.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
SqueezetheFlab said:
I'm pushing 40, so if I just don't "get it", please just say so and help me die inside a little bit more.

I've played through Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 and Dark Souls 2 (in that order). While Bloodborne had much faster, responsive combat (THANK YOU) than the previous incarnations, it still did not induce the awe that I had been hearing about.

This sums up my feelings of the combat quite nicely:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.941091-Finished-Dark-Souls-Disappointed-with-its-combat

If you focus on the character development aspect and weapon variety (without taking viability into account, ESPECIALLY in PvP for Dark Souls 3), it does do a fair job. So praise where it is due.

Graphics I can't judge; since I grew up with "8 bit" graphics with midi music everything looks/sounds nice to me.

There is little story (sorry, fan speculation doesn't count), no puzzles (sorry, but pulling levers in any given order once/twice doesn't count either) and hardly anything that you have to figure out to progress in the game. Not to mention platforming... yikes.

I could forgive the above if the combat had depth, but it doesn't due to the lack of fighting mechanics and physics that you find in other modern (or even "old" SNES/PS1 games that were cutting edge at their time).

To me it feels like I'm doing the same thing over and over again. Roll, light attack (or heavy actually worked in Bloodborne), Roll. Occasionally parry. Occasionally backstab. There are no elaborate combos that you can pull off, combo breakers, 3D somersaults, parkour, what have you. It's easy to pick up and easy to master. It's all a function of patience and time, but not skill inherent to the execution.

I get the lack of hand-holding being an attraction nowadays, although I suppose that having grown up with games that forced you to guess about everything (often due to horrible graphics), it doesn't really impress me.

So, am I missing something? Is it the fact that games have recently gotten stupidly easy (Batman, Witcher, etc.) and this game offers some form of difficulty?

Why can't we have games like this, but with much more complex combat? Put physics into swings, add REAL MOMENTUM AND FORCE! Like some of the other new games are doing (chivalry, war of the roses, etc.). Let characters climb. Make platforming a viable option. Simply add more COMPLEXITY to the EXECUTION in the game. The character development can stay the same and I would be happy.
Are you comparing fighting games with Dark Souls? Come on! Fighting games are about starting as a badass and battling against other badasses. Trying to get that satisfaction from Dark Souls will lead to total disappointment.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
DrownedAmmet said:
I think the combat is a lot more deep than you give it credit for. I'm always learning new little details that I never noticed even though I beat the game already.
Almost every weapon is different, even weapons in the same class will sometimes have different move sets, so choosing what weapon to use isn't about just choosing the one with the biggest number.
And every enemy has different resistances to different types of damage, so a heavily armored enemy will be more resistant to slash attacks but weaker to thrust attacks. Some weapons have slash and thrust attacks, and the jumping attack has a bonus against armor, so it is a bit more complicated to choose what weapon or attack to use on a given enemy.
There's also counters, which I just learned about, where if you hit an enemy while they are in an attack animation you will do extra damage.

That's something I like about the "losing your progress on death" mechanic. Even if you don't manage to recover your progress, your death isn't a total waste either (it serves as a warning to other players)

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
AccursedTheory said:
The thread you sourced literally has the answer you're asking for here.
Amen to that.

Apropos of which: given you (the OP, not Accursed) pretty much posted a 'I don't get Dark Souls/explain Dark Souls to me' thread right after another 'I don't get Dark Souls/explain Dark Souls to me' thread, I may as well repost my exact same textwall reply as I'd be repeating myself anyway.

Darth Rosenberg said:
Well, I think it's a bit of a masterpiece and one of the most profoundly rewarding games I've played in my life (the gaming part of which goes back to the mid/late '80's), so methinks 'it's not just for you but was for me' suffices.

Athennesi said:
1. Camera
I'm not sure I died a single time across about 300hrs of DS[1] due to camera, so--- er, I can only offer a quizical shrug to that complaint?

The camera's not magically awesome, or anything, but I never felt I was fighting it as opposed to Lordran's denizens.

2. Lock on

Directly affected by camera, but also glitchy on it's own. Randomly stops during targeting, causing the player to spin around and shoot in opposite direction.
Never had those issues, either. I was playing on 360, btw, and then for a little while on XB1.

For me the lock on was wonderfully agile, once you got used to it; a canny DS fighter learns when to fight with it, and when to fight without. Both techniques are essential for high[er] level play.

3. Backstab and Parry

There is always a split of a second before animation starts that feels like experiencing bottleneck. Then the camera tries to catch up and it janks to the side, making entire transition feel incredibly clumsy( compare it to how it's done in Arkham games).
Um... You're comparing it to a largely skill-less combat system in an arcade game? Why?

Arkham's combat was superb, but unless you're on an NG+ run without the prompts or diving in to the more demanding challenge rooms, its combat was little more than a rhythm game; keep jabbing the right buttons and you'll string together a 100+ combo. DS has a kind of cut'n'thrust positional brutality, so the two systems are incomparable.

And no, I had none of those issues. DSII's parries were flaky, but the less said about that entry the better... DS1's windows were varied depending on weapon, but I feel they were often generous, and arguably OP. Fishing for backstabs could arguably undermine the entire flow of combat, too, but for the most part I feel it was reasonably well implemented.

Oh, but yes, the slide-into-position was clunky, but there was a precision to its triggering that DS2, f'instance, never had.

The animation itself is pointlessly long and breaks the flow of combat...parry should be a quick slide of enemy's weapon followed by instant counterattack...
"Should be"? Any reason something "should be" in a game? It's a matter of taste, for designers and players. I loved the slow brutality and weight to backstabs, in particular, and they tended to feel like tiny moments to catch one's breath if you were still defending yourself, given you could whip the camera around to gauge the next threat.

4. Archery...the weakest I've seen in years. Completely unsatisfying sounds, no "feel" of tension when drawing the string or piercing armor, no first person, plus enemies are slow and weak at dodging.
Well, there was an aim function, soo...

DS's combat was not geared to archery, any novice can surely see that. Bows in DS are often superb ways to draw and control enemy aggro, or - if the player didn't use the binoculars - they provided another means of looking around the world, zooming in to possible enemies or choke points and so on.

By the later stages, the larger bows (the greatbows being obvious examples) could be very potent, but if the player was patient and/or cheap, arrows could be used to whittle down enemies. They gave the player another tactical choice about how to proceed, and how to deal with the numbers and types of threats waiting ahead. I think bows were a remarkably subtle piece of great design.

5. Magic...uninspired and borderline broken. 90% of it consists of recasting the same spell, over and over. Soul Arrow-Great Soul Arrow- Heavy Soul Arrow- Great Heavy Soul Arrow- Crystal Spear, etc, etc. No visual or audio appeal, not even remotely comparable next to almost any rpg out there.
Spellslinging is certainly often considered DS's Easy Mode, and whilst for a while I saw that as a negative, I think George Weidman/Extra Credits/Sterling (can't recall which. I think they've all touched on this aspect of the game and series) did a piece on how DS1 essentially offers the player a dynamic difficulty setting, and that comes from the builds and the use or non-use of certain armour types or attack disciplines.

Magic is certainly not a dynamic part of DS1's design, but felt it could still lead to interesting playstyles; magic could be used to light the way, to navigate the world in slightly more risky ways, to manipulate enemies, or simply confound them in the middle of a scrap to facilitate an escape.

6. Enemy AI...At first they seem impressive, because of variety of movesets, however AI is very simple and easily exploitable. / The game, not once surprised me with a sense of enemies intelligently responding( like I've had with Exanima for instance)...they feel more like dolls, each limited with a few types of attacks and very predictable/or cheap sometimes encounter design( giving the world a gimmicky feel, like everything exists to kill you and is placed like they knew you were coming and from which direction).
It depends on what someone wishes from their experience.

To me Dark Souls [1] was meticulous, measured, machined, in a wonderfully beguiling mix of approximated realism (the setting, weapons/armour, elements of the actual combat) and absolute artifice (placement of enemies, no real punishment for deaths, the static NPC's forever locked into place, etc).

One could argue highly adaptive dynamic AI would've made the game 'better', but it would have changed its character/soul; Lordran had 'rules', and cause and consequence was almost its immutable law. You could struggle with certain enemies, and you'd know it was pretty much your fault... That you had to react to the world ranged against you, that you always had a chance to learn and to overcome. At times DS was almost a logic/puzzle game - an area and a foe to be solved.

7. Physics and "cheesy difficulty"...
Can't say much to that as I don't agree, or, rather, what you wrote doesn't match my own hundreds of hours.

They jump from corners or are placed in illogical places( Twin archers in Londo).
Oh? They are "illogical"? Why? What logic do long dead servants of a fallen city and god/s operate under, and how can you discern this? Again, to me the enemy placements are like that of a puzzle. The world and its denizens are there to grief you, you savage you for mistakes. To me there is perfect design logic to the famed/infamous Anor Londo archers.

No weapon interaction( they just phase through one another), or anything even remotely comparable to Dark Messiah and similar games.
Well, I'd say DS's combat is amongst the most 'realistic' I've ever seen in a game.

Most RPG's treat swords and spears or halberds as identical in locational function; they are just different items which cause different kinds or amounts of damage. In DS? A claymore is a very clumsy instrument in a winding staircase, ditto a spear.

In real fencing the 'speed' which most videogames are obsessed by is rather meaningless; 'speed' typically equates to reach in fencing, ergo a spearman can strike 'quicker' - sooner in the engagment - than a swordsman (and waving a dagger around is meaningless if you can't get close enough to use it). Dark Souls' combat system is very gamey, and very simple, but I've never played a game of its kind which had a feel for that element of reach being so important, and of forcing the player to abide by the functional realities of melee weapon combat (e.g. broad horizontal attacks in a stairwell or corridor will just get you killed; what matters in fencing isn't what you want to do or what is fancifully 'best', it's what works in a given place, at a given time, with a given weapon. DS uses the idea of tempo/range superbly, if quite crudely given it's still just a game with set attacks and defence postures).

8. UI...too clumsy and without allowing instant access to weapons/abilities.
Again, never had an issue. I also tended to play heavily hybrid characters, too, so your specific mention of issues with hybrid builds doesn't chime with me.

9. Hitboxes and visual inaccuracies
As above; never had an issue. From the looks of it, DS3 might have some of the best damn hitboxes evah, but aside from various demons 'butt slams' I never legitimately had an enemy hitbox strike that I could honestly whine about. To me, DS's specificity of contact - for you, and for the enemies - was arguably the foundational building block of the entire experience (arguably the backstabs were the weakest element of that experience, simply because of how simple and effective they were against numerous enemies. still, they were a tool in the players choice - to use or not to use).

10. "Fun" factor...this is subjective, but feels entirely lacking in DS.
Well, as I said, to me it's one of the most rewarding gaming experiences of my life, so subjectivity is as subjective does.

One of the reasons was I found it to be an incredibly compelling existential experience; much of DS's themes relate to purpose of action, and the possible attainment of goals. The player is presented with a world, yet very little reason for being [there]. 'What's my motivation?', the player could, and probably always does, say. Lordran's fellow travelers mostly seek something, be it tangible or otherwise. Typically, when they have found it - when they have reached the perceived summit of their aims - they crumble, or are broken by the world.

And why fight the hordes, when the hordes reset after your death? Was the fight futile if you all your efforts are wiped clean? In a 'meaningless' world, I found the smallest of actions and decisions came to have great meaning (there was no 'point' in bowing to NPC's I was allied with, yet to me it always had value because it was a choice of respect and expressed gratitude/empathy), and after a couple of runs I appreciated how the game's thematic subtext may be interpretatively summed up with 'find value/meaning in the act of the journey, not in obtaining something or concluding the journey'.

To me, Dark Souls was a genuinely affecting and profound experience, and it's a gaming journey I'll remember fondly for many years to come. There's been nothing else quite like it.

Plus the endless repetition of dying and going through same encounters that always play exactly the same...video game labor.
...perhaps if you stopped to reflect about the possible futility of your actions/achievements/non-achievements, you may have begun to see that loop a little differently. As I elaborated on above; to me that's not just a game mechanic, it became a--- well, philosophical prompt, to get a tad pretentious... One that fitted hand-in-glove with the stories/journeys of the NPC's the player crosses paths with.

The world is wonderfully indifferent to your very existence, and to every accomplishment. Kinda like the real world? We die, and in a few decades or generations our very existences will be little more than memories, or fragments of history, half remembered, half documented. The world keeps spinning, life keeps getting lived, regardless of what seismic events happen to us individually. So to me, Lordran was paradoxically 'real' whilst being demonstrably gamey, which I found fascinating.

11. Controls...not as terrible as some exaggerate , but for a game entirely oriented toward action: not good. Plus, there is a noticeable input lag, especially with jumping/dodging/rolling.
Er, no. All actions have weight and a time window to them, that isn't the same as 'lag' when it's meticulously designed into the system. You either like it or do not, but it isn't a flaw. I loved it, as I'm sick of arcadey flapping around in combat, particularly where bladed weapons are concerned.

12. Boss fights... not bad, but disappointed in more than a few: Nito, Gwyndolin, Discharge, Butterfly, Seath, Capri demon, Hydra, etc... Majority are fairly standard with only a few exceptional ones.
I adore many of the aesthetic designs, but the actual patterns and challenges of the bosses in DS1 certainly isn't a strong point, I'll grant you that.

I came to value them as experiences, almost like narrative punctuations as opposed to just bland videogame bosses, but if there was ever a remastered version I would like to see all the bosses get beefed up a bit. O&S still wiped the floor with me a fair few times, though... and on my first run I was painfully terrible against the Stray Demon at the Asylum.

13. Overrealiance on I-frames...which makes evasion feel counterintuitive and positioning far less important.
The idea that positioning in Dark Souls wasn't important because of i-frames is bizarre to me, but each to their own. I-frames were part of the system, and I don't see how their use or non-use was a negative. If you're terribly positioned, no i-frame in the world's going to really save your ass if your next dive is into their weapon, off a cliff, or into another enemy. Decision making was still what killed you or kept you alive in tough situations.

...or just tanking with Havel's gear, but again, that's a player choice essentially shaping diff to their own requirements. DS so often gave the play choice about how to deal with Lordran.

Why is this praised ( by it's fan base at least) as top tier combat system?
Perhaps because a "top tier combat system" isn't where DS's brilliance begins or ends? A rather glib reply, I admit, and one certainly made by a fan of the first game (and Demon's Souls, even if I never got to play it) but DS's combat was just one part of the whole.
SqueezetheFlab said:
There is little story (sorry, fan speculation doesn't count)
Um... okay. Why not? Is there an Objective Game Design Rule Book I've not read, or was a new law passed? And isn't interpretation something great art often inspires?

Lordran was a world where, ostensibly, the 'story' had happened long ago and been barely remembered by those left to linger, or those drawn to the ruined world. Ergo much of Dark Souls as a kind of extensive community cultural event, let's call it, was about piecing together that story, and then interpreting it relative to what happens in the 'present' day and relative to what certain characters want you to do/not do.

Dark Souls' "fan speculation" was a truly remarkable thing; intelligent, diligent, creative, resulting in a kind of transformative gaming experience I'm not quite sure I'd ever come across before, nor will I again in such a way. I think the combination of, say, Kay's first LP---

---and VaatiVidya's channel [https://www.youtube.com/user/VaatiVidya/videos] are testimony and record of a sprawling collectively creative response of a kind that is utterly unique to this inherently interactive, participatory medium.

The fandom sometimes has an iffy reputation, but I think for the most part the community were inspiringly helpful, knowledgeable, and intelligent, and Dark Souls' wonderful core design and "speculation" was the darkmoon catalyst for that.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
People like Dark Souls/Bloodborne for different reasons (that can be said for a lot of games, but whatever). I notice there's a lot of divisions in the community. For example, a lot of people love the fight with Sif in DS1 because of the emotional lore implications and the spectacle of fighting a giant wolf swinging a greatsword. Others find Sif kinda lame because he doesn't have a lot of variety in his attacks, he's predictable, and is definitely one of the easier fights in the game (especially since many will beat him near the end of the game, after beating the more difficult bosses like O&S). Some may be in for how the games handle multiplaver, as a pure challenge, for the world and lore, or they click with the gameplay.

Personally, I like these games for the lore, characters, and bosses. I don't do a lot of multiplayer (besides lending my sign for jolly co-opperation) and I'm not a master of the game mechanically (though I think the groundwork has surprising depth for being so simple), but what it does right really clicks with me. I find it satisfying to overcome the game's challenges. I like learning how to use the weapons and mastering my favourite. You said fan speculation doesn't count, but there's still a fair amount of context provided in item descriptions, and some people find it fun to piece the story from there. Some characters are more fleshed out than others (and there are some holes I really wish they provided a little more stuff for), but it's there. Sometimes it's enough to really give a character context in the world without needing to give you their life story (you don't learn much about Solaire himself, but you learn a few tidbits that paint a picture of the kind of man he is). And ya, I really like the bosses and find they really stand out among my favourite video game bosses (except almost every vanilla DS2 boss). Can't add much to that.

Though mind you, Demon's Souls did have the odd zone that could only be traversed by climbing ledges. That...did not work. You basically mashed a button (or rub against it? Can't remember) to scramble up a waist-height ledge, but it was pretty un-intuitive (especially if you played Dark Souls/Bloodborne first. I didn't even know this existed until I saw an LP of the game). There was no indication a ledge could be climbed, and I can't recall if there's actually a tutorial for it.

Just sounds like it's not your cup of tea, and that's ok. The games are flawed (some have had really troubling developments), but they did some things that attract certain groups of people. I know this could be said about almost every game, but considering how much money Fromsoft made while initially appealing to such a niche audience, there is a lot to like. Sounds like a cop-out response, but it seems as simple as that.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Ironically they got it the best with the first Dark Souls.
Most of what they change or add in sequels is detrimental to the overall product.
That said it is praised because it's the best game of the last 8 generations, with only Smash Bros. Rumble even coming close as competition.

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
Lol, you didn't play ds1; the best game in the series. Although Ds1 has extreme balance and technical issues, it has the best aesthetic of the series. You absolutely have to run through the painted world of Ariamis.

Yeah it has it's problems with combat depth and such, but it has rpg elements and lots of sexy weapons you can choose from.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
The number one reason people love the game, I find is generally it has character. Atmosphere, a world.

The game is... not quite dark, but more dead. There is very little in the game that is truly alive, and you're shifting through the dead state of a once great nation. But more then that... there is so much *story*.

Now, there is not a real narrative as for why you'd want to go through each of the bosses, slay them get the shiny and continue on... but generally each of those bosses have a story. Gwyn being the one with the most story, as a fair bit of the game focuses on him. But then you have characters like Fair Lady, Quelaag, Quelaana, Ceaseless Discharge, Seathe, Gwyndolin, Artorias. Most of the bosses have a story behind them, as for why they're there and why they want to kill you. So do many of the NPCs, and as they're so few and far between, and the only living things.. their quirks and charm kind of stand out more then in a typical RPG.

What you have missed out on, is one. As everything else builds off of that. (Asides Bloodborne.) 2 rips it off pretty hard, and doesn't really stand on it's own due to that. (Yeah let's repeat the 4 bosses souls coming back whoo...) It's pretty lame, and didn't do enough to make it's own world I find. Dark Souls 3 is very much a sequel, and knowing 1 helps fill in 3. Especially when you're finding call backs.